Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 608741 times)

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« Reply #890 on: December 01, 2006, 04:57:24 am »
SPOILER

Well.

What can I say?  :(

Been trying to think of a worthy response to this chapter - but my heart just feels too sore.

The rational part of me totally understands why Jack and Ennis need to be apart, but my emotional centre is just crying out - "No, let them be together. Let them take care of each other."

I hope that they can both deal with their healing and find their way back to each other.

I'll leave the intelligent analysis to the rest of you.

Amy, as always wonderful writing. I hope you realise just how deeply you affect us.

Karen

mvansand76

« Reply #891 on: December 01, 2006, 07:37:37 am »
SPOILER

The rational part of me totally understands why Jack and Ennis need to be apart, but my emotional centre is just crying out - "No, let them be together. Let them take care of each other."

Yeah, the more I think about this chapter, the more I FEEL that they should be doing this together. Like in that U2 song, sometimes you can't make it on your own.

:'(

midwest-girl

« Reply #892 on: December 01, 2006, 10:38:01 am »
Yeah, the more I think about this chapter, the more I FEEL that they should be doing this together. Like in that U2 song, sometimes you can't make it on your own.

:'(

Oh, but right now I think they have to.  Jack has to find some self-worth beyond Ennis, don't you think?  It can't all be tied up only in Ennis's love for him b/c that's too big of a burden for anyone to carry.  And Ennis has his own messes to clean up.  He's got to be the one to show Jack the way now, I think...

mvansand76

« Reply #893 on: December 01, 2006, 11:08:57 am »
Oh, but right now I think they have to.  Jack has to find some self-worth beyond Ennis, don't you think?  It can't all be tied up only in Ennis's love for him b/c that's too big of a burden for anyone to carry.  And Ennis has his own messes to clean up.  He's got to be the one to show Jack the way now, I think...

You are right, as always... I know you're right, but I want them to be together and strong! I am a hopeless romantic and even though a while back on this thread I said that I wouldn't like a 'happy ever after' ending, I am now dying for one after all these angsty chapters.. forgive me Amy!

Hey one thing I was wondering about Amy, why did Ennis have to ask Dane how Jack was doing. Wouldn't he have been able to get that info from Colin?

midwest-girl

« Reply #894 on: December 01, 2006, 11:14:58 am »
Hey one thing I was wondering about Amy, why did Ennis have to ask Dane how Jack was doing. Wouldn't he have been able to get that info from Colin?

He would have, but I think he was reluctant to talk about Jack too much with Colin.  I probably should have made that part more clear.  Sorry!  I also think he probably thought he'd get a more personal account if he asked Dane.  And I think, subconsciously, he wanted to let Dane know he was around and also wanted Dane to tell Jack he was there, which I don't think he'd ask Colin to do. 

mvansand76

« Reply #895 on: December 01, 2006, 11:41:59 am »
He would have, but I think he was reluctant to talk about Jack too much with Colin.  I probably should have made that part more clear.  Sorry!  I also think he probably thought he'd get a more personal account if he asked Dane.  And I think, subconsciously, he wanted to let Dane know he was around and also wanted Dane to tell Jack he was there, which I don't think he'd ask Colin to do. 

OK, that makes sense...!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #896 on: December 01, 2006, 11:57:08 am »
SPOILER

Sorry if this is obvious.

Now I'm wondering if Jack asked that they meet in a public place so that they would have to exercise restraint. I guess if they met in private somewhere then they would not be able to control their feelings for each other and the parting would have been so much more difficult. It was just so sad that they couldn't really offer each other much comfort outside of an embrace and a parting kiss. When someone you love is hurting you jast want to hold on to them.

God, this end scene just keeps playing round inside my head!

I'm hoping that next Thursday will bring some relief, but I suspect that Amy has more angst in store for us.

Is that right Amy?  ;)

Karen

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #897 on: December 01, 2006, 01:27:11 pm »
I know you guys all liked the photo of Jake in a turtleneck last time I posted, so here's another one!  ;)

Offline bailey

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #898 on: December 01, 2006, 07:07:00 pm »
I know you guys all liked the photo of Jake in a turtleneck last time I posted, so here's another one!  ;)

I am slain with gorgeousness.  And that goes for Shades too.  I really think it's the best Brokeback fanfic out there.  I've been riveted from the first word and this last chapter wound me up good.  Thank you, Amy for Shades. And thank you, Leslie for the Jake break.

bailey

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #899 on: December 01, 2006, 08:49:06 pm »

Did we??!? Hmmmm....LOL!  ;D