Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 608905 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: "Shades of Grey" Discussion Thread **Spoilers**
« Reply #1140 on: January 21, 2007, 03:05:10 am »
Some SofG Ennis:

Oh, yes, yes, yes! Be still my beating heart!  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1141 on: January 21, 2007, 04:45:36 am »

and my very favourite

". . . for a moment Ennis forgot how to breathe."

Gasp!  :o

That was one of my favorites too. I still remember reading it, and I haven't revisited the story for several weeks. I'm planning on reading it again from chapter one tomorrow probably. There are so many great lines in the story, but I'm reluctant to mention any of them because I don't want to give anything away before you have finished reading it.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 21, 2007, 06:21:05 am »
When Ennis was a little boy his mother would tell stories to Junie at night, fairy tales about princes on white horses, rescuing the fair maiden in the tower or saving her from the gnarled hands of the evil witch. K.E. thought the stories were stupid and never stuck around to listen. But Ennis always curled up next to Junie on her pink sheets to hear their mother spin her tales. It wasn’t the stories themselves he found so fascinating, except for the ones where dragons spouted fire and had teeth like splintered needles. It was his mother’s voice he loved and the spell she seemed to effortlessly weave, like a glimmering cloud all around them in the dim bedroom, creating a world that was safe and enchanted, where every ending was happily ever after. When she’d died the spell had been broken and Ennis had never found anyone who could cast it again. Until now, until Jack. What they had together, right in this moment, felt like magic and Ennis didn’t want to be the one to break the spell.

Please, please, please tell me, Amy, that you are submitting manuscripts to publishers. You have a wonderful gift. I also suspect that you probably hold a substantial share portfolio in "Kleenex Inc."   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline bailey

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« Reply #1143 on: January 21, 2007, 10:08:33 am »
Wow, coffeecat!  You found the perfect pic!  That's exactly how I saw Amy's bad boy Jack.  ANd I still think Shades is the best BBM AU ever written.  If anybody deserves to be published, it's Amy.  I can see her writing something like the Cold Case episode Forever Blue. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1144 on: January 21, 2007, 12:28:05 pm »
Amy, please feel free to start a thread for your original story if you want to share it discreetly.  I know publishers don't like content being put on the internet, but there is nothing to keep you from friends-locking an LJ with your manuscript.  Our mission in Fan Fiction is to expand into original writing wherever someone is working on something and wants to share.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

mvansand76

« Reply #1145 on: January 21, 2007, 12:50:40 pm »
Oh God, there are so many great parts in this story! I loved their first kiss, everything about it was perfect, the dialogue, Ennis' reaction, Jack's tenderness and comforting words. I also loved the part at Ennis' apartment where Jack is looking at the picture of Ennis' mother and Ennis when he was young. The chapter with the gruelling confrontation between them when Ennis tries to interrogate Jack and fails miserably. Difficult to read but so intense and it really showed how much they loved each other!  :'(

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #1146 on: January 21, 2007, 04:16:12 pm »
Shades of Gray!

I love the look on his face in this pic... it's kind of man of mystery, if you ask me  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

midwest-girl

« Reply #1147 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:01 pm »
Please, please, please tell me, Amy, that you are submitting manuscripts to publishers. You have a wonderful gift. I also suspect that you probably hold a substantial share portfolio in "Kleenex Inc."   :'(
Kerry, I do have an original novel done and I'm working on a re-write of it now.  But I still have to go through the grueling process of trying to find an agent.  I'm also toying w/ the idea of cleaning up SoG, changing names, fleshing it out, etc. and seeing if I can get it published.  I'll keep you posted.  But thanks for your kind words!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1148 on: January 21, 2007, 05:50:34 pm »
A note from the moderator:

This discussion originally started over on the Anything Goes thread, but after discussing it with David925, he said it was fine to move it here, since it is a discussion of a fanfic story. So...there is a redirection post at Anything Goes to point people here.

We have another "Shades of Grey" discussion thread but David was interested in recruiting new readers and thought a new thread might be a little less confusing for those diving in. So for the moment, I will leave these separate...if people have thoughts about merging the two, please let me know!

Enjoy the story, everyone!

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfic
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

midwest-girl

« Reply #1149 on: January 21, 2007, 05:52:25 pm »
Amy, please feel free to start a thread for your original story if you want to share it discreetly.  I know publishers don't like content being put on the internet, but there is nothing to keep you from friends-locking an LJ with your manuscript.  Our mission in Fan Fiction is to expand into original writing wherever someone is working on something and wants to share.
Thanks, Louise.  I haven't thought about doing that, actually.  I'm in the midst of a major re-write and don't know that any of it's worth looking at right now.  LOL.