Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 258673 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:21:31 pm »
Anyone besides me catch them and absolutely love them?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html

Only 3 episodes have been filmed and they have already been shown, but you can watch each of their entirety on the PBS website until Dec 7.

Apparently, the episodes were hugely popular and they will begin filming new episodes in January of 2011.

The mysteries are good, very 21st century technology, while I think the Watson character is miscast, the Sherlock actor is perfect.

My favorite - besides the machine gun rattle dialog and manic kinetic energy and possible psychosis of Sherlock's character - is the running theme that everyone assumes Sherlock and Watson are a gay couple and treat them accordingly.

It's not a joke, because the writers have very definitely kept what Sherlock's preferences are completely ambiguous and considering his character was very much the loner before he met Watson, it's a logical assumption on the part of everyone around them.

One of many favorite lines:

"You just met the man yesterday, you moved in with him and today you're solving crimes together.  Might we expect a happy announcement by the end of the week?"

Must see!!!  ;D ;D ;D

(note to mods: I looked, but didn't see another thread for this.  If there is, please join mine to the original.  Thanks)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:02:18 pm »
OMG best Sherlock ever!  8)

I started watching mid-episode last week and couldn't switch the channel.  Benedict Cumberbatch (gads what an unwieldy name) is perfect, and I really like Martin Freeman as Watson, too.  Classy and smart.  8)

Martin Freeman has been cast in the title role of the upcoming "Hobbit" movies, so he'll have some serious juggling to do to be in the Sherlock episodes, too.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:54:05 pm »
There isn't any other thread about it that I know of, but I have talked about it a little in my blog and on The Book Thread. I've been reading the complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes and am delighted about how the new series plays on and updates some of SHerlock's classic adventures. The crowning experience was the appearance of "Jim Moriarty" last week, Sherlock's arch nemesis. Aside from the adventures and psychology and the relationship of Watson and Holmes, I also love seeing London again, the town is so present in the series that it's almost like a character.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:55 pm »
I was disappointed with "Jim", but other classic characters made their appearance and are so appropo that they fit in perfectly with the update.

I also liked how Watson is sympathetic with and completely accepting of gays due to his own background.  While I love his character being a veteran of the wars, Freeman just isn't up to what I would have liked in a modern Dr. Watson.  His character hasn't been able to show much of what he's capable of, and at times, makes you wonder why Sherlock has him around.  I would have liked Watson to be more cutting edge medical and a little sharper than he is.  Doctors are usually pretty strong personality wise and granted, while he's put off a great deal by Sherlock's roughshod running personality, I would have liked to have seen a Watson holding his own and Freeman, IMO, just isn't up to it.  He just doesn't have that ruthless streak I expect a soldier to have, nor is his presence very noteworthy.  And while I know men who are usually dangerous aren't very dramatic and are very innocuous, he's just not impressive in any way.

And yes, London is its own character.  It's the London of my memories - and daydreams.  :)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:18 pm »
Raises hand!   I love this series, love the ambiguous Sherlock, the accepting Watson, London, all the tech stuff, and the theme music is great also.    The flat at 221B Baker St. is awesome.  I love all the characters that appear and help them along the way, and Alan Cumming's great voice hosting Masterpiece Mystery.  I understand they are working on a second series.   It's wonderful!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »
I see where you are coming from but yet I disagree. Especially in the most recent episode where (WARNING, possible spoilers here!) Watson is wearing a full vest of explosives which could detonate at any time, yet he keeps his wits about him and when he sees an opportunity, he seizes Moriarty and holds him hostage. But Holmes realizes that hidden gunmen could dispatch them both. The eerie appearance of the laser beams which mean high powered rifles are trained on them. Watson has his flaws, but I also love his dedication. He knows that Holmes depends on him to provide backup and protection. So, he rushes off sometimes in the middle of the night, not even knowing where he is going or why. Blind faith.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »
WARNING SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS WARNING

I see where you are coming from but yet I disagree. Especially in the most recent episode where (WARNING, possible spoilers here!) Watson is wearing a full vest of explosives which could detonate at any time, yet he keeps his wits about him and when he sees an opportunity, he seizes Moriarty and holds him hostage. But Holmes realizes that hidden gunmen could dispatch them both. The eerie appearance of the laser beams which mean high powered rifles are trained on them. Watson has his flaws, but I also love his dedication. He knows that Holmes depends on him to provide backup and protection. So, he rushes off sometimes in the middle of the night, not even knowing where he is going or why. Blind faith.

I really didn't like that perilous situation.  

Why would Watson fall victim so easily?  If he is a soldier, used to the battlefield, liked the living on the edge feeling, he should be very wary and indeed, quite aware of his surroundings, examining everything as if it might be a possible threat.  I would have liked to have seen him beat up a bit, showing he had to be overpowered to be taken hostage.

And this is the 2nd time this has happened in the series, so I hope they don't fall into this Watson in Peril stuff.

Anyway, Watson seized Moriarity and told Sherlock to run.  It was Sherlock who refused to leave him.  And the threat?  Is it one?  The explosives are meant to be how powerful exactly?  Moriarity has no trouble coming close to them and uses the threat of the sniper shooting Watson.  All Watson would have to do to keep Moriarity in mortal danger just being near him is to turn around, so the shooter might accidentally set off the explosives.  Or, all Sherlock had to do was duck in the doorway away from the shooters and Watson could have dragged Moriartiy with him as a shield and followed, leaving him completely in their control.

Naw, I didn't like that scene, except for the very first part where you see Sherlock have one awful moment of stunned doubt and pained confusion when he's expecting the criminal mastermind and Watson steps out.  That was delicious.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:00:57 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century: SPOILER
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:06:41 am »
Question, early in that episode when the guy appears that Watson's co-worker is living with, was that Moriarty or just one of his minions? The coworker introduces him as the young man she's living with, giving you the impression that she's quite serious about him. Holmes looks up from his microscope for about 2 milliseconds and says, "gay" and then realizes that he's alarmed the young woman so he says "hey" instead. But she calls him on it as soon as the young man leaves, whereupon he proves the man's orientation by saying, among other things, that he dyes his eyebrows. Pretty far fetched, and as it turns out, he was being led on!

Offline delalluvia

Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century: SPOILER
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:20:33 am »
Question, early in that episode when the guy appears that Watson's co-worker is living with, was that Moriarty or just one of his minions? The coworker introduces him as the young man she's living with, giving you the impression that she's quite serious about him. Holmes looks up from his microscope for about 2 milliseconds and says, "gay" and then realizes that he's alarmed the young woman so he says "hey" instead. But she calls him on it as soon as the young man leaves, whereupon he proves the man's orientation by saying, among other things, that he dyes his eyebrows. Pretty far fetched, and as it turns out, he was being led on!

That was Moriarty.  In the 3rd episode he admits it.  

Actually, the girl is Molly, the forensic doctor/tech who has a crush on Sherlock who asks him out for coffee in the first episode.  I'll have to re-watch the episode, but I believe she's not living with him, just dating him.  When Sherlock calls gay on him, she defends him by saying they've been out several times.  But the kicker as far as Sherlock is concerned is the fact that "Jim from IT" slipped Sherlock his phone number.

Sarah is the doctor who hires Watson for his part-time clinic job.

ETA:  Checked the episode.  Molly says she's only involved with Jim, an 'office romance'.  She never says she's living with him.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:02:09 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:15 am »
Thanks for clearing that up! This series is so fast-moving, it's hard to keep track of all the details!