Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256901 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26:06 pm »
Yes, Mycroft is very active in the new series.

I'm sorry this doesn't interest you, friend. I would have loved to hear your reactions.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:48 pm »
Yes, Mycroft is very active in the new series.

I'm sorry this doesn't interest you, friend. I would have loved to hear your reactions.

I'm a little surprised that it interests you. I thought you didn't like fan fiction. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »
I don't have anything against fan fiction. I read four chapters of Leslie's book and enjoyed them very much. She is a good writer and did her research. Plus, and this is a very big plus, Jack was in her story. Most of the other fan fiction I've seen has no Jack and "you can't have Ennis without Jack" as Ms. Proulx said. Or it is very badly written and someone who works with words all day long, as you and I both do, can't tolerate bad writing. There are so many wonderful books in the world, I have no time to waste!

As for Sherlock Holmes, I am in the midst of reading the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm beginning the second volume. He is such an incisive writer and both lead characters are so wonderfully drawn. Doyle portrays both the bold facts that are there for everyone but the actors to see as well as the elusiveness and complexity of the human soul.

The series accomplishes the same thing. It's interesting the way they've updated the turns of phrase as well as the criminal pathology, while keeping touches of the original stories, like the mysterious Indian touches and the victim dressed in, in this case, pink. The new Sherlock is a fascinating character and Holmes has much promise as well. The contemporary setting is not intrusive and technology doesn't overcome the story...it's still based on that ever changing inscrutable eccentric and fascinating creature, the human being and its psyche.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 07:59:36 pm »

The series accomplishes the same thing. It's interesting the way they've updated the turns of phrase as well as the criminal pathology, while keeping touches of the original stories, like the mysterious Indian touches and the victim dressed in, in this case, pink. The new Sherlock is a fascinating character and Holmes has much promise as well. The contemporary setting is not intrusive and technology doesn't overcome the story...it's still based on that ever changing inscrutable eccentric and fascinating creature, the human being and its psyche.

Agree.  If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, the producers, who are fans themselves, put little tributes from the original in the new series.  They have turns of phrases, play on words, etc., that allude to the original Sherlock.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fangirl of Sherlock, the original, other than just casual knowledge so most of them fly by me, but my sister is, and she's catching all the little homages.

Three pipe problem?  Three patch problem.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:19 am »
Three pipe problem?  Three patch problem.  :laugh:

Haha, I just got this last nite when I watched A Study in Pink again on my computer. Also, I loved the first look at Sherlock's messy apartment and his lovely relationship with Mrs. Hudson (I want to be Mrs. Hudson!!) I love how Sherlock pretends to be all serious and blase but you can just see how he wants Watson to move in with him and be his sidekick. Summed up in the following exchange (paraphrased from memory):

Sherlock: "So, you're a military doctor...seen a lot of destruction, violence and gore on the battlefield?"

Holmes: "Yes" (said in a "where is this going and what am I getting myself into?" voice)

Sherlock: "Want some more of it?"

Holmes: "God, yes!"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 11:36:08 pm »
Haha, I just got this last nite when I watched A Study in Pink again on my computer. Also, I loved the first look at Sherlock's messy apartment and his lovely relationship with Mrs. Hudson (I want to be Mrs. Hudson!!) I love how Sherlock pretends to be all serious and blase but you can just see how he wants Watson to move in with him and be his sidekick. Summed up in the following exchange (paraphrased from memory):

Sherlock: "So, you're a military doctor...seen a lot of destruction, violence and gore on the battlefield?"

Watson: "Yes" (said in a "where is this going and what am I getting myself into?" voice)

Sherlock: "Want some more of it?"

Watson: "God, yes!"

Yes, he makes mention that no one else will work with him and he needs an assistant.  Sherlock needs a cheering section.  During the exam of the Pink Lady's body, Holmes keeps making these breath-taking deductions and John keeps blurting out his amazement until Holmes finally says,

"You know you're saying this aloud?"

John, embarrassed replies, "I'm sorry, I'll shut up."

And then Holmes smiles at him and whispers, "No, it's - fine."

In this series, Holmes is derided or used for his talent and finally here is someone who thinks very positively and reacts very positively to his talent.  Of course Sherlock would want to keep him around.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 11:42:16 pm »
In this series, Holmes is derided or used for his talent and finally here is someone who thinks very positively and reacts very positively to his talent.  Of course Sherlock would want to keep him around.  :)

Amen! I was watching The Great Game tonight and was struck by the time the police dept woman comes to the door and calls out "Freak...there's a message for you!" That hurt!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 11:49:36 pm »
Amen! I was watching The Great Game tonight and was struck by the time the police dept woman comes to the door and calls out "Freak...there's a message for you!" That hurt!

It does.  If you watch the beginning of the "The Blind Banker" episode, where he meets his wanker ex-university alum, he mocks Sherlock's talent by comparing it to a 'trick' and then he says Sherlock's observations "Put the wind up us, we all hated him."

Sherlock looks away and his expression is that he remembered that too and it still hurt.  The actor who plays Sherlock is intensely expressive and a great actor.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »
Here's another one I didn't catch until someone who's read the books quoted the line:

Book Sherlock:  I am lost without my Boswell.
Series Sherlock:  I'd be lost without my blogger.

8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:17:26 am »
Yes, the relationship between Sherlock and Holmes is one of the most endearing aspects of the story. And it's one of the top adventure buddy stories of all time.