Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256781 times)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »
I'm going to have to watch the encore presentation because I was out all day yesterday, and although looking forward to 'Sherlock', I think I was a bit tired and my concentration was a bit off.

A couple of things:

Irene is well aware of Sherlock's ability to read people, so when she appeared naked (in "battle dress") as she called it, it was to block him, he was "drawing blanks" because without clothing or grooming to go by, he couldn't read her.   Sherlock has been shown to zero in on these attributes and can read a person or a suspect like a book.  It's interesting that Sherlock doesn't like to wear clothes either.

I don't think Sherlock was moved by her, other than gaining a healthy respect for her intellect.   He is not someone who lets convention nor emotion affect him.   In any battle of wits, someone has to lose, and I don't think Sherlock's turning the tables on her made her any less worthy an adversary.  I think she admired his reputation and intellect and was challenged by it.   Maybe they are two of a kind in that way.   It was pretty heart-stopping when Sherlock cracked the code to her mechanical heart - I felt it!   

I always like to think that he has such an affect on Dr. Watson too - not necessarly because of his gender but because he is such a charismatic person.   Irene is very observant, and wears many hats herself - the exchange with her and Dr. Watson was interesting.  

I wonder if she will turn up again in future episodes?   There may be more to the ending than meets the eye.   Do I think Sherlock could infiltrate a terrorist cell between American and British intelligence?  Absolutely.  
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:12 pm »
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

A couple of things:

Irene is well aware of Sherlock's ability to read people, so when she appeared naked (in "battle dress") as she called it, it was to block him, he was "drawing blanks" because without clothing or grooming to go by, he couldn't read her.   Sherlock has been shown to zero in on these attributes and can read a person or a suspect like a book.

The problem I had with this Marina is that Sherlock has deduced things from index fingers, calluses on feet, hair color, veins in the eyes, women's jewelry and makeup before (Molly, the Pink Lady, the art museum guard in Season 1 and Jim from the hospital).  Irene wears heavy makeup and jewelry and obviously has hair, feet and hands, yet he draws a complete blank?

That was unbelievable.

I don't think Sherlock was moved by her, other than gaining a healthy respect for her intellect.   He is not someone who lets convention nor emotion affect him.   In any battle of wits, someone has to lose, and I don't think Sherlock's turning the tables on her made her any less worthy an adversary.  I think she admired his reputation and intellect and was challenged by it.   Maybe they are two of a kind in that way.

I didn't get this at all.  At the end, he knows she fell for him because of the pulse thing.  

Yet earlier, in her meeting with John ("We're not a couple", "Oh, yes you are.") she told John she was gay.

Is she gay or bi or just a liar?  That completely throws doubt on the end.

And why would Sherlock rescue her 'intellect', help her out, when she's aiding and abetting terrorist groups who now have free rein to blow up an airplane thanks to her - and Sherlock?

I found that fact just indicative of Sherlock's callousness and extremely disturbing.

What did Lestrade say in the first Season?

"He's a great man.  And one day, if we're lucky, he might even be a good one."

This is certainly Sherlock NOT being a good man.

And Sherlock's own words,

"Don't make people into heroes John, heroes don't exist and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them."

You can say that again.

He's only interested in her for what she can do for him.  The fact many many people will die and have died because of her and his actions for her is not a concern of his.  When that plane blows up, Sherlock has their blood on his hands as much as her and her cohorts.

It was pretty heart-stopping when Sherlock cracked the code to her mechanical heart - I felt it!

The ending, when he finally figures it out, is one of the best scenes.  Mycroft rips Sherlock a new one - and deservedly so.  And I wish Sherlock had been sincere in his distance from her, but IMO, he wasn't - that was born out by his actions at the very end.

He helped a fucking murderer, blackmailer, terrorist and extortionist get away from her just desserts and he smiles about it.

I was SO disappointed.  

I always like to think that he has such an affect on Dr. Watson too - not necessarly because of his gender but because he is such a charismatic person.   Irene is very observant, and wears many hats herself - the exchange with her and Dr. Watson was interesting.

He is charismatic, but he's also a pain.  She had zero interaction with Sherlock except for a few stupidly stereotyped moments.  And yet she 'falls for him'?  She invited him out many times and not only did he not go, he never responded to her texts.  What in the world did either of them fall for?

Her intellect was not astonishing at all.  She was just a survivor and a liar and though Sherlock is used to dealing with them as we've all seen, yet he doesn't do it with her.  The biggest part of her character?  She's a dominatrix.  What would be your first idea on how to handle her?  By acting passive, letting her dominate and then not doing what she wants but thinking he's letting her get her way.  

But he lets her get her way.

Why?  

I have no answer other than bad writing.

I hated the cliff hanger resolution, the Irene Adler arc, but the other parts of the episode I loved.  His interactions with Molly, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade were all classic Sherlock.  His scenes with his brother were intense and extremely well done.  His scenes with John were great.  The Palace scene and fight scene were hysterical.  I burst out laughing in my seat.  John realizes how good it feels to punch Sherlock and then takes the opportunity to purge his months of frustration by throwing down on the man.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When you mention caring though...when the CIA were threatening to shoot John and had the gun to his head, Sherlock was all but frantic to save him.  IMO, despite his moping when he thought Irene was dead, I think John's death would have hit him much harder.  

I wonder if she will turn up again in future episodes?   There may be more to the ending than meets the eye.    

I have been told yes, but I didn't want to be spoiled, so I didn't read any further.  I was SO hoping we'd seen the last of her and fan outcry against her character would keep the writers from writing her back in.  

Do I think Sherlock could infiltrate a terrorist cell between American and British intelligence?  Absolutely.

Me, too.  But not an radical Muslim one, which is what we're expected to believe he did in order to save Irene.  The US couldn't do it in 10 years with Bin Laden with ethnic and native speaking spies, yet Sherlock can do it in such a quick time that John doesn't even notice he's missing?  ::)  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:02:11 am by delalluvia »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »
Now that's more like it.

2nd episode of the 2nd season was exactly what I hope for in a Sherlock episode.

The Hound of the Baskerville

Lots of rapid fire dialogue.  Sherlock on overdrive and overload.  Good relationship building.  Lots of tension and seriously creepy moor scenes.

Luckily, Sherlock was with John the entire time, not separated for most of the mystery, unlike the original episode.

Funny to see Sherlock drive.  He never drives. 

His addiction also comes to the fore briefly - out of boredom.

I give this episode a thumbs up.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2012, 04:26:17 pm »

Also liked the brief exchange, between John and that other guy.  He asked him if "his," snored too?"  John just look so perplexed, as if
he couldn't figure out how to answer that, then ultimately didn't.  Just looked kind of tired, and walked off.

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:14 pm »
   Also liked the brief exchange, between John and that other guy.  He asked him if "his," snored too?"  John just look so perplexed, as if
he couldn't figure out how to answer that, then ultimately didn't.  Just looked kind of tired, and walked off.

Yes, it finally happened!!  What I'd hoped would eventually happen!
 ;D ;D ;D

John gets fed up refuting the assumption and just lets it go.  It doesn't matter anymore if people think they're a couple.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »
I know, it's like everyone can see that they are a couple.   :)

I liked this episode too - a more traditional Sherlock Holmes story update.    Sherlock also seems to be gaining just the tiniest bit of sensitivity to others' feelings?  :)   I love him.
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »
OK, anyone understand the last episode of this season?  ???

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

What is Moriarty's motive?  He has absolutely NO reason to kill himself.

How in the world did Sherlock fake his death?  I know the thing with Molly is a hint, but he didn't switch bodies on the roof, he actually did fall and that was too far a fall to survive without serious injuries.  Did they not have an open casket funeral?  John knows a dead body when he sees one.

Was Moriarty pissed off because Sherlock WAS actually smarter than him?  And just as amoral?  Sherlock was a 'doofus' not because he couldn't figure out Moriarty, but because Moriarty wasn't as smart as Sherlock expected him to be?  He was expecting Moriarty to be some genius criminal, but he wasn't?  Is that why Moriarty killed himself?

I can't believe Lestrade would EVER doubt Sherlock.  He was right too many times with just cold explanations of people that were right.  He can't have 'faked' that.

I love how John NEVER doubted Sherlock.

While the reporter/actor thing was clever, the woman was a crappy 'investigative reporter' because she accepted a notebook full of easily faked 'documents' as evidence Richard Brook was an actor. 

I do love how Mycroft was used to destroy his own brother.  I can't imagine how Sherlock could ever forgive him.  BTW, where was Mycroft for the funeral?

Any help guys?

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »
I love how John NEVER doubted Sherlock.

Me too - this is my favorite episode so far, and now we have to wait till next season for the answers!

I think Molly is involved too in the faked death(s), but I'm still considering this episode.   I have to watch it again.

I love when Sherlock says "I may be on the side of the angels, but I am not one of them".   Benedict is great, and so is Martin!  :)
~Rachel Carson~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:43 am »

Me too - this is my favorite episode so far, and now we have to wait till next season for the answers!

I think Molly is involved too in the faked death(s), but I'm still considering this episode.   I have to watch it again.

I love when Sherlock says "I may be on the side of the angels, but I am not one of them".   Benedict is great, and so is Martin!  :)

I think it's my favorite as well.  It's puzzling.  I'll have to watch it many more times to try to think it through.

I do love the beginning where Sherlock is following John's lead on everything,

Sherlock:  "Diamond cufflinks, all my shirts have buttons..."
John:  "Say thank you."
Sherlock:  "Thank you."

Lestrade:  "We all pitched in..." [and got a deerstalker hat]
Crowd: "Put it on, put it on!"
John:  "Just get it over with."
Sherlock puts the hat on

I even like John's protectiveness of Sherlock when he has to go to court and testify and has to run the gauntlet of press.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:08 am »
I hope I can catch a repeat of this episode.  It all goes by so fast, and there are so many details to consider.

Just a thought, but when the little girl screamed at the sight of Sherlock, there was something said about an idea having been planted in her by the kidnapper.  What if the last bit was all some sort of  hallucination?   At any rate, if Sherlock is alive, I'm sure Moriarty is, too.  Also, Moriarty would be a fool to get rid of the one person who can appreciate his machinations.
Ich bin ein Brokie...