Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256887 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2013, 03:27:20 pm »
True, della! I also enjoyed the full frontal nudity on Graves, Julian Sands, and even Simon Callow as the rector  :laugh:!

*sigh*

I love the Brits.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
It was lovely to see a young Rupert Graves in "A Room With a View" an old Merchant-Ivory film I watched last night.

That's a lovely movie. I saw it in the same weekend that I saw My Beautiful Laundrette, and I knew right then what an amazing actor Daniel Day-Lewis is.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »
Veering back into tangents, I heard earlier this week that Ruth Prawer Jhabvala has died at 85. She was the screenwriter for A Room with a View and Howards End, among many others. One thing that I didn't know before was that, of the celebrated producers of both films, Ismael Merchant and James Ivory, neither was a Brit. Merchant was born in India and Ivory was an American. Fancy that!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:35 pm »
Veering back into tangents, I heard earlier this week that Ruth Prawer Jhabvala has died at 85. She was the screenwriter for A Room with a View and Howards End, among many others. One thing that I didn't know before was that, of the celebrated producers of both films, Ismael Merchant and James Ivory, neither was a Brit. Merchant was born in India and Ivory was an American. Fancy that!

Oh, dear! She just had a story published in The New Yorker.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2013, 02:18:09 pm »
There is hope: Series 3 of Sherlock is filming! http://cultfix.co.uk/sherlock-filming-pics-the-empty-hearse-22068.htm

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2013, 10:24:38 am »
I was reminded last night of all the Sherlock Holmes incarnations. I was watching a show where a woman who was suspected of witchcraft demonstrated that things she knew about people that she could not possibly know came from her "powers" of observation: She could tell that someone worked at shearing sheep from the condition of his hands, and because "he reeks of mutton."  ;D  (She was also an accomplished herbalist.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:39 pm »
Personally, I would say he "reeks of lanolin". Mutton doesn't smell really until after it's butchered.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2013, 01:19:05 pm »
Personally, I would say he "reeks of lanolin". Mutton doesn't smell really until after it's butchered.

They probably meant to imply that he smelled like a sheep, but I just quoted the dialog as it was.