Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 258697 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »
I wonder whether all you fans of the updated Sherlock Holmes happened to catch the two-hour program on PBS about how the Holmes stories and novelas influenced the actual development in the real world of forensic criminology? It was quite interesting, and for all you Benedictines, there were quite a few clips of your man Cumberbatch.

If it hasn't yet been shown in your area, watch for it.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »
What is the title of the program?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #282 on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
What is the title of the program?

It's quite obvious. "How Sherlock Changed the World," or something similar.

ETA: I checked TV Guide and the title is, indeed, How Sherlock Changed the World.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:17:22 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2013, 05:39:30 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:27 pm »
Thanks for the link, della. This was fun to watch on Christmas evening.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:21 am »
The premiere of Series 3 finally came to the US last night! It was set to start at 7:58 pm my time; however, when I settled down on the sofa and turned on the Public Broadcast Station, I found I had to watch two hours of Downton Abbey before Sherlock would be on, one of which I had already watched. When 10 pm rolled around, I was dragging but I managed to perk myself up and only fell asleep a bit in the middle. I'll have to watch it several times more before I can assimilate everything in this action and emo packed episode. (Experience indicates we'll have plenty of time to watch it over and over.)

One moment that was so cathartic was when Sherlock said, "Okay, where is it?" and his brother's assistant brought the dashing overcoat and slipped it over his shoulders!!

More about the coat: http://www.sherlockology.com/wardrobe/coat-sherlock-holmes

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2014, 11:15:32 am »
Great to have Sherlock back!  So much to like about last night's episode.

A favorite early exchange (paraphrased):

Mrs. Hudson:  "These two years must have been so hard for you."
Watson:  "Yes, well, I'm getting married."
Mrs. Hudson:  "Oh, wonderful, dear, what's his name?"

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »
I am still not reading this thread because I don't want to be spoiled for the remaining 2 episodes of the season.  ;D

Here is my review of Ep 1 of Season 3

SPOILERS******************SPOILERS*************SPOILERS***********

I am ridiculously pleased with this season opener.  They actually devote most of the episode to his return, instead of doing away with the cliffhanger in 30 seconds like they did Season 2 opener.

They show Sherlock being vindicated, they show Sherlock 'coming back' to his friends, show that he has, as a human, warmed up a bit, though still a bit cruel, they sprinkled throughout the episode versions of "how he did it" - some hysterically funny, others more serious.

Before the season started, I and my fellow fans discussed at length whether producer/creators Moffat and Gattis, fans of the original Sherlock, would follow canon about his reappearance. In the story, Sherlock springs himself on Watson out of disguise as a joke and causes him to faint. We thought, due to the trauma John experienced on Sherlock's demise, Sherlock would not joke with John on his reappearance.

We were wrong...sort of.

Sherlock does reappear to his only friend in a joking manner, but knowing how hard John took his 'death', he tempers it with sincere regret.

I didn't like the "John in danger" subplot in introducing the newest villain - as John has been in peril and needing rescue every season since the beginning - and Mary accompanying Sherlock on the rescue was unnecessary.  I did like that Mary is not a young or particularly attractive woman.

And I didn't like how Moffat, doing his typical left-handed "tribute" to the fans and fanfiction puts in his little jab by portraying them all as unattractive weirdos.  Moffat is really passive aggressive in his love/hate relationship with the fans.

The 'carriage' subway danger was a bit off-putting, but I think Moffat used that scene to show some fans that they did indeed "sentimentalize' Sherlock at their own risk.

There were many fans I discussed Sherlock with who really, truly believed that Sherlock's tears and grief in the suicide scene were sincere (I did not).  I even asked them how they would feel if his tears turned out to be faked.  I will be curious to see how they feel now, as Moffat has clearly demonstrated that Sherlock is really really good at faking grief, and his humor is sometimes cruel.  To be fair, Moffat has shown Sherlock to be cruel to John fairly often, so I am not surprised, but other fans may be.

But other than that, the story is brimming with unexpected warmth, seeing Sherlock now aware that he does indeed enjoy some people in his life, his family dynamics with Mycroft AND unexpectedly with their parents, was a surprising treat.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes!