Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256894 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:52 pm »
Jeff,

Here are examples of the 'floating text'.

Deductions

Text displays

Thanks, but I still don't like it.

The font used is the same used in the London Underground system.  8)

Well, that's clever, I guess.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2014, 09:27:13 pm »
Jeff, of course you are free to leave any time. In fact, you need not even enter this thread if you don't like the subject matter. Bye!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »
Of course it isn't, to you. You like the show.

We can all say that about our favorite shows. One could say that about Spong Bob Squarepants if one liked the show sufficiently.

Except this one wins awards.  Pretty much the entertainment industry says it is not just me.

I understood from Nussbaum that they're showing things to the audience. Sorry, but that all still sounds rather too cartoonish for my taste.

Interesting. Everything I've read about the show dwells on that aspect so much that I would have thought it happened more frequently than that.  

You've said that already. ...

All that "defending with his life" seems an addition. I don't recall Dr. Watson ever getting in that much trouble.

He doesn't.  He's in danger by association.  Sherlock has a lot of dangerous enemies.

You're starting to sound like you're protesting too much.

High-functioning Asperger's would be my guess.

Is the lesson over? Can I go now?

Have you learned anything?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »
Jeff, of course you are free to leave any time. In fact, you need not even enter this thread if you don't like the subject matter. Bye!

Agree!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:16 am »
Have you learned anything?

Yes! How the floating text works, and that there isn't as much gay inuenndo as commentary had led me to believe.

Doesn't make the show any more attractive to me than it was before, however.

Enjoy your show--and do read Emily Nussbaum's review. (Hint [Spoiler?]: I took it to be favorable.)

I'll remember that the next time I come across something that I think might interest those of you who are fans of the show. ...  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:37 pm »
Yes! How the floating text works, and that there isn't as much gay inuenndo as commentary had led me to believe.

Doesn't make the show any more attractive to me than it was before, however.

Enjoy your show--and do read Emily Nussbaum's review. (Hint [Spoiler?]: I took it to be favorable.)

I'll remember that the next time I come across something that I think might interest those of you who are fans of the show. ...  >:(

Jeff - we were appreciative of that.

Then you seemed to get all snarky about my post.  I was being an enthusiastic fan and you reacted rather poorly.  Since we didn't see any smilies or whatnot indicating you were just joking around, we took your comments quite seriously.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2014, 09:16:15 am »
Still digesting Episode 2 of the 3rd season.

There was a LOT crammed into this episode.

I am not sure if I like being so pleased with all the fan satisfaction stuff and think it's a normal progression or whether to not be too happy about it because it IS out of character.  Happily my PBS station repeats each episode twice, on Thursday and Saturday nights, so I will be watching the episode again before posting my review.

SPOILERS                SPOILERS                     SPOILERS                       SPOILERS

This Sherlock - as best man for John at his wedding - participates quite a bit in the wedding with his best man duties and helping the bride pick out seating arrangements and napkin folding styles, along with music for the first dance.

In contrast, canon Sherlock never even showed for the wedding.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:41 pm »
I think I saw about half of episode 2, I came in during the drunk scene. Like you, I will need to watch it at least once again before I can even comment!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »
Trying to avoid spoilers here...

In the second episode, it's interesting to see how Sherlock's thought bubbles varied when he was drunk from when he was sober. He was supposed to make observations at the crime scene and there was a shot of the scene with all his drunk observations superimposed over the various pieces of furniture, etc. One that I noticed was "Silly Thing" and then I noticed that the word "Thing" was on almost all of the items. And just before, when Sherlock and Watson were called to work by a client, Sherlock slurred, "The game is . . .something" and Watson replied, after reflection, "er. . . on?" It was pretty funny. I never did quite get why they were getting drunk...did Sherlock think they had to do a bachelor party??

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2014, 09:40:44 am »
SPOILERS     SPOILERS     SPOILERS    SPOILERS   SPOILERS

Trying to avoid spoilers here...

In the second episode, it's interesting to see how Sherlock's thought bubbles varied when he was drunk from when he was sober. He was supposed to make observations at the crime scene and there was a shot of the scene with all his drunk observations superimposed over the various pieces of furniture, etc. One that I noticed was "Silly Thing" and then I noticed that the word "Thing" was on almost all of the items. And just before, when Sherlock and Watson were called to work by a client, Sherlock slurred, "The game is . . .something" and Watson replied, after reflection, "er. . . on?" It was pretty funny. I never did quite get why they were getting drunk...did Sherlock think they had to do a bachelor party??

Yes.  That was the bachelor party.

Avoid the following if you still haven't seen the entire episode...

They went pub crawling and Sherlock had some plan to drink a certain amount per pub versus his calculations on how much they would excrete in a certain amount of time.  He was timing them.  But things started to go awry from his careful calculations and two hours later, they were back home completely wasted, asleep on the stairs.  Then a client came to see them.  And rather than turn her away, they tried to investigate while still pissed.  It was hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:48:00 pm by delalluvia »