Author Topic: Merry Christmas 2010!  (Read 47127 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Merry Christmas 2010!
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »
Brought tears to my eyes when he finally hit that note.  Beautiful, just beautiful and the images are hauntingly gorgeous.  Thanks so much for posting Sason.

P.S. excuse my ignorance, but what is the significance of the curly-horned goats?

Glad you like it Delalluvia!

The curly-horned goats are made of straw, and are an old, traditional xmas decoration. It's history goes way back, but I don't know too much about it, I'm afraid.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »
David and I decided to make a tree this year:

Thank you for doing that!

I understand that people like live Christmas trees, but one thing that irks me is all the dead trees lying around on curbs after the holidays. 

My family has always had an artificial tree, and I continue that trend.  I never lecture anyone who has a live tree, they're entitled to what they want, it just seems like a waste to me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »

Happy Christmas Everyone!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q[/youtube]

Thank you so much, Kelda, from this New Yorker. Happy Merry yourself! (Some of my family used to say Happy, the others said Merry, so I compromised by saying "Happy Merry!")

By the way, did anyone notice who played the cop in the beginning? If so, good for you--but did you notice the young African-American fellow nodding off in the drunk tank? Take a good look, and if you can't guess--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairytale_of_New_York

Happy Merry, everyone! (I know Bill Donohue won't like it--but I'm not saying Happy Merry to him,  nor to Maggie Gallagher neither, that's  for sure!   :laugh:  )
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 06:57:51 pm »
That just has to be Matt Dillon!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2010, 07:06:55 pm »

That just has to be Matt Dillon!

Yes, Lee, and the fellow nodding out in the tank is--

::)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »

A gay couple in New York's Chelsea suddenly found themselves living in the North Pole (on West 22nd Street), and....

Video:
N.Y./Region | City Room
Miracle on 22nd Street

Two New York City men feel a tremendous responsibility to respond properly when they mysteriously receive hundreds of letters addressed to Santa Claus at their Chelsea apartment.

Click on the photo for the video:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/12/kids_think_santa_claus_lives_i.html

excellent things
‘Kids Think Santa Claus Lives in Chelsea,’
So Adorable Couple Obliges

By: Nitasha Tiku
12/24/10 at 1:15 PM

As Christmas approached, a Chelsea couple named Jim and Dylan mysteriously started receiving hundreds of letters from children addressed to Santa Claus. "Our address is on 22nd St, apartment no. 7, New York, NY, 10011. It's not at all the North Pole," Jim told the Times.  "Kids think that Santa Claus lives in Chelsea." Neither of them were able to figure out why these letters, which came from all over the state and all five boroughs, were showing up in their mailbox. (Probably Mary Kate & Ashley's Manhattan Christmas Mystery, right?) Overwhelmed by the emotion and expectation, but without the resources to fulfill all those Christmas wishes themselves, Jim decided to make [NYMag's Daily] Intel's cold heart swell with joy by passing out the wish lists to co-workers and on Facebook, managing to send the presents requested in half of the four hundred plus letters to Santa. At one point, Dylan expresses his reservations about granting some wishes, while others were left ignored, but tells Jim, "You don't think about it, you just give. That's been your way and I love that about you."

Everything about this video, from the couple's struggle with making good on an unexpected obligation, to their generosity of spirit, to their festively decorated brownstone, to the ambient Apple products in the background, could not have been better cast as an only-in–New York modern-day Christmas miracle. Spoiler alert: Kids, ignore this post. Those Dora the Explorer T-shirts are totes from the North Pole. You were such a good girl!!!!

Now, like everyone else, Daily Intel is going to celebrate the War on Christmas by hitting the eggnog. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming Sunday evening. Have the happiest holidays ever, you heart-melting Chelsea elves.

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 08:25:57 pm »
Glad you like it Delalluvia!

The curly-horned goats are made of straw, and are an old, traditional xmas decoration. It's history goes way back, but I don't know too much about it, I'm afraid.

Here's what Wikipedia says - pagan, like I thought  ;)

The Yule Goat is one of the oldest Scandinavian and Northern European Yule and Christmas symbols and traditions. Originally denoting the goat that was slaughtered during the Germanic pagan festival of Yule, "Yule Goat" now typically refers to a goat-figure made of straw.[1] It is also associated with the custom of wassailing, sometimes referred to as "going Yule Goat" in Scandinavia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Goat

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:16 pm »
^^^^^^^

Yeah, I thought something like that, but wasn't sure.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »

Yes, Lee, and the fellow nodding out in the tank is--

::)

Peter Townsend?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »

Peter Townsend?

Nope. (Unless he's out of focus, deep background.)

According to wikipedia, it is supposedly Morgan Freeman (in 1987). Do you think? Maybe not.

"Camping Out"