Author Topic: Excited about OWN  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Excited about OWN
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:20:49 pm »
The hype about the new Oprah Winfrey Network is building, and I find it intriguing, even though I'll rarely get to watch a show because I'll be working. She says, "I'm concerned about the bigger overall picture: my belief that people are basically good and want to see the good in them reflected through their experiences and the shows that they watch. . . The banal state of television, the kind of insipid space that we're in--that you can have as many channels as we have and not find anything that interests you--means that to a great extent we have lost our way."

On the other hand, I recall seeing some really bad Oprah shows, so if one show can't be consistently good, how's she going to deliver 24/7?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Excited about OWN
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:46:20 pm »
It's a good question, Lee.  I've only seen Oprah's show on occasion - as you say - work.  But it is my impression that although it does toss its share of softballs - it's entertainment, for the most part, not hard news - she does make the effort on regular occasions to handle serious subjects as seriously as her audience will allow.

I actually buy her magazine O practically every month because it is as described above, but frequently with some more depth.  Overall, I find it very honest and relevant for women - at least myself - often enough that it's worth the $ for me.  And you get a bit of entertainment also.

My only peeve is Dr. Phil.  I don't know where she found the man, but he gives the most asinine and annoying analysis of problems and ultra-simplistic solutions as to be comical, except he's not...he really believes the psychobabble he dishes out.  Scary that people might listen to him a hunnerd percent.

When do we expect OWN to debut?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:24:55 am »
Yawn.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:35:10 pm »
That's the most you've said in two weeks, friend, LOL!

The new channel debuts January 1 replacing the Discovery Health Channel. This is another reason for concern. I simply can not stand those nonstop drug commercials they have. The other day as I was cooking for Christmas, there was an obnoxious commercial for gout medicine that was repeated ad naseum!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:53:39 pm »
Yawn.

That's the most you've said in two weeks, friend, LOL! ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The new channel debuts January 1 replacing the Discovery Health Channel. This is another reason for concern. I simply can not stand those nonstop drug commercials they have. The other day as I was cooking for Christmas, there was an obnoxious commercial for gout medicine that was repeated ad naseum!

That's a good point about the commercials.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."