Author Topic: War Horse (with Joey and....Jeremy Irvine as Albert)  (Read 22629 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: War Horse (with Joey and....Jeremy Irvine as Albert)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:28:25 am »
Wipe your chin.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »

But movies with Spielberg nearly always  do--I think you're safe!   :laugh:

Was kinda dodgy there for a bit, but all ended up well.  ;D

I give it 7/10 but barely.  It is slow, lovingly filmed though, and I guess the awkwardness of how the main characters progress and jump is because the book is from the horse's POV. 

It reminds me a horse version of the book/movie, The Incredible Journey.  It's all little stories of the people this horse becomes involved with along his war experience.  Good, though.

And Benedict Cumberbatch is in super-fine, stiff-upper lip form, I must say. ;D :-*

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:26:13 pm »

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45924908?ocid=ansmsnbc11

UK royals, Joey the horse
share Spielberg red carpet

updated 1/9/2012 7:29:55 AM ET

Catherine, Britain's Duchess of Cambridge, and Britain's Prince William
leave the UK premiere of 'War Horse'.

LONDON — Britain's Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge shared the red carpet late on Sunday with Hollywood royalty and a horse called Joey who appeared in Steven Spielberg's latest movie "War Horse."

The film, based on a novel by Michael Morpurgo which was turned into a hit West End and Broadway stage show featuring puppet horses, has opened in U.S. theatres already and reaches British cinemas on Friday.

Spielberg said he had been inspired to take on the World War One drama both by the book and the play.

"What attracted me to it beyond my admiration for the puppeteering was simply the amazing story that Michael Morpurgo first told in his 1982 children's book," he told Reuters.

Jeremy Irvine, the British newcomer who stars in War Horse, said he was overwhelmed to have found success so suddenly.

"I wasn't getting any work so suddenly just to have a job, let alone have lines, let alone be in a film with Steven Spielberg, is kind of more than I can really take in and I still haven't really taken it in," said the 21-year-old.

"I'm still trying to take in how on earth I could have fooled them to let me be in this movie."

The highlights of the red carpet premiere in London's Leicester Square were Joey the horse and the Duchess of Cambridge, formerly Kate Middleton, who celebrates her 30th birthday on Monday.

Kate and William, A-list celebrities whose every appearance is followed by the world's media, added a touch of glamour to the event held in aid of the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, of which the duchess is a patron.

She wore a floor-length black lace dress designed by Alice Temperley, while William was in a double-breasted dinner jacket and black tie.

Before meeting the couple, Spielberg was asked whether he had rehearsed his royal etiquette.

"I don't know," he replied. "Something about tonight has to be spontaneous which means if I make a faux pas it will be an honest one."

About 600 British military personnel and their families also attended the premiere.

Reviews for the film about a boy and his horse separated by war have been generally positive, with critics praising its emotive power and predicting plenty of tears among audiences.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/9001952/Kate-Middleton-needed-Kleenex-for-War-Horse-says-Steven-Spielberg.html

Duchess of Cambridge 'needed Kleenex'
for War Horse   says Steven Spielberg

The Duchess of Cambridge was moved to tears by the First World War epic
War Horse  and had to be handed a Kleenex at its premiere, the film's
director Steven Spielberg has suggested.

09 Jan 2012 10:36AM GMT

Kate Middleton wore a long black and cream lace gown by
Alice Temperley

The Duchess of Cambridge, who shared the red carpet at last night's event in central London with the film's equine star, stole the show in an elegant floor-length black lace evening gown by Alice Temperley.

Steven Spielberg told BBC Breakfast: "I was sitting next to her and all I know is at one point my wife, who was sitting to my right, right in front of my face she passed a Kleenex ... I saw the Kleenex go across my face, arrive and stop but I didn't want to intrude on her experience watching War Horse so I never glanced over."

The filmmaker, who said he did not believe he had made "a war movie", admitted he shed tears the first time he saw the play which inspired the film.

He said: "The play did that to me, I came out of the play a soaking wet wreck."

Spielberg, whose films include Saving Private Ryan, Jaws  and Raiders Of The Lost Ark,  said he had been impressed by the landscape in Dartmoor where some of the film was shot.

He said: "There's no place like it in the world. When I got to Dartmoor I realised I had a third character that I had to include in War Horse  and that was the land and the sky so Dartmoor plays a major role."

The film, which was nominated for best drama at the Golden Globes, follows on from the success of the play, which debuted at the National Theatre in London in 2007 before sell-out West End and Broadway runs.

Spielberg earlier revealed he got ''a buzz'' from meeting the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at the royal premiere of his new blockbuster War Horse,  on the eve of the Duchess's 30th birthday.

His British cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Emily Watson, David Thewlis and newcomer Jeremy Irvine also walked the red carpet at the Odeon Leicester Square alongside 600 serving and ex-military personnel.

''It's an honour to be here with the royals. This is my first royal premiere for the Duke and Duchess, having done them before for the Queen and the Queen Mother. This is a wonderful occasion tonight,'' said the director.

''This is so exciting. I get a buzz. You never grow out of something like this,'' he added.

The premiere was in aid of the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, which helps the welfare of those in the armed forces.

''It's a huge privilege that the film has been blessed by them and they decided to lend their support behind it,'' said Hiddleston, who plays Captain Nicholls.

Watson joked that she had been briefed about approaching the Duchess.

''We've been told to address her as 'Ma'am' as in 'jam','' she revealed.

The Duchess of Cambridge kicked off her 30th birthday celebrations by sharing the red carpet with the film's equine star.

The Duchess, who is celebrating her birthday today, stole the show last night in an elegant floor-length black lace evening gown by Alice Temperley.

Michael Morpurgo, the author of the children's book which inspired the film, led the well-wishes for the Duchess.

The Duchess shared the red carpet with the equine star of the film. She grinned and laughed when she spotted thoroughbred Joey standing patiently outside in the rain.

Mr Morpurgo said it was an "honour" that the Duchess chose War Horse as her first royal premiere and said he would send her a copy of the book as a birthday gift.

"I am thrilled, it is a wonderful honour that she has chosen this film to do that," he said.

"I will send her a copy of War Horse  for her birthday.

"She is a wonderful example of dignity and calm and I like that in her."

The premiere was also attended by 600 serving and ex-serving military personnel and their families, as well as beneficiaries of military charities.

The royal couple went to the event in aid of the Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, which helps the welfare of those in the Armed Forces.

"Camping Out"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:28 am »
This story was a book originally, written by Michael Morpurgo

Info & reader reviews at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/War-Horse-Movie-Michael-Morpurgo/dp/0545403359/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326792151&sr=1-1

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:10 am »
This story was a book originally, written by Michael Morpurgo.

It's also a stage play in New York.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 11:20:34 am »

It's also a stage play in New York.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPEmBBVtN08&feature=related[/youtube]
&feature
Uploaded by CBSNewsOnline on Apr 10, 2011

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxX1oI0ZDtY&feature=related[/youtube]
&feature
Uploaded by warhorseonstage on Mar 16, 2011

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:06:33 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 11:46:37 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pPeE-OJGig&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
Uploaded by warhorseonstage on Nov 29, 2011

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rBDy87euJ8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMlBEShx7Uc[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgVr-0rMC2g&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YEtHnI7upo&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6jSAE2Vq94&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 07:52:15 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/sports/finders-key-from-far-back-in-the-pack-to-the-lead-in-war-horse.html

From Far Back in the Pack
to the Lead in ‘War Horse’

By BILL CHRISTINE
Published: January 24, 2012

Bobby Lovgren, a trainer for “Seabiscuit,” bought Finders Key for an undisclosed sum after
the filming.

Lovgren, a native of South Africa, was the head horse trainer for "War Horse."

Before he went Hollywood, the thoroughbred gelding Finders Key accounted for only torn-up mutuel tickets at Los Alamitos Race Course, a track better known for quarter horse racing in Orange County, Calif. Winless in four $2,500 claiming races, he was beaten by a combined 30 lengths, never finishing higher than fifth.

His former trainer from Los Alamitos, Curly Ortiz, said recently that Finders Key, despite aristocratic breeding, “was not a gem in any sense.” He also did not think Finders Key could become a movie star.

Finders Key raced as a 3-year-old in 2002, when he was owned by Vincent Timphony and his wife, Scarlet. Vincent Timphony was a little-known trainer and Wild Again was a rank long shot in 1984 when they combined to win the first running of the Breeders’ Cup Classic. Timphony, who never had another horse as good as Wild Again, died in 2010.

“Horses are like people,” Scarlet Timphony said. “You can’t tell what’s inside by just looking at them. We had a horse named Fasternhel, who was well-bred, but he hardly lived up to his name. We sold him for $1,200, and he became one of the top polo ponies on the international circuit. So there we were, trying to force Finders Key to race, when what he wanted to do was be in the movies.”

Running before crowds that barely topped 1,000 at Los Alamitos, Finders Key now has a page on Facebook and has attracted international attention.

He was discovered by Rusty Hendrickson, the wrangler for “Seabiscuit,” the film about the Depression-era racehorse in which he made his screen debut in 2003. Finders Key was one of 10 horses who played Seabiscuit; two years later, he was seen in “The Legend of Zorro,” and now, billed as Finder, he is the lead among the 14 horses portraying Joey in Steven Spielberg’s “War Horse.” The movie, set in World War I, turns on a young soldier’s devotion to his horse. Finders Key is so versatile that in an early scene, in an inventive twist, he plays his own dam giving birth to Joey.

The movie, nominated Tuesday for an Oscar for best picture, used almost 300 horses for one battle scene. The best acting was by Finders Key, said Alex Brown, a veteran exercise rider, who wrote a book about Barbaro, the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner. “Often in horse movies, as a horseman, you cringe at a couple of scenes because they are either unrealistic or simply incorrect,” Brown wrote in Steeplechase Times.  He added, “In ‘War Horse,’ Joey’s role was brilliant.”

Gene Klein, who owned the San Diego Chargers and later a major racing stable, once said that the advantage he had with horses was that “they don’t show up with their agents and ask for their contracts to be renegotiated.” With representation, Finders Key might have been sold to Hendrickson for more. He was part of a three-horse, $4,500 package with a solid-colored chestnut Appaloosa and a bay thoroughbred mare.

Ortiz did not single out Finders Key when Hendrickson stopped by his barn looking for Seabiscuit look-alikes. Moving down the shedrow, Hendrickson stopped in front of Finders Key’s stall and said, “Who’s this?”

Ortiz responded: “You don’t want him. I have trouble even getting him to go to the track to train. Unless he has a pony alongside him, he won’t go out there.”

But Hendrickson said he would not take the Appaloosa and the mare if Ortiz did not throw in Finders Key.

“He’s just right for some of the things they want to do,” said Ortiz, who saw “War Horse” the day after Christmas. “They’ve trained him into becoming a very good trick horse. That thing he did in the first part of ‘Seabiscuit’ was really terrific.”

In “Seabiscuit,” Chris Cooper, playing the trainer Tom Smith, is introducing his new horse to a cocksure jockey at the barn at Saratoga. Finders Key, playing a young Seabiscuit, rears up despite being restrained by two handlers with ropes. The jockey backs off, but the horse lunges toward him and rips his shirt. The jockey backs off, muttering a profanity. “He’s nuts,” he adds.

Coincidentally, the jockey was played by Kevin Mangold, who rode Finders Key in his final race, on Aug. 8, 2002, at Los Alamitos. Mangold, who retired from riding in 2006 after winning 52 races over six years, has appeared in several film and television productions as an actor and stunt rider.

Mangold and Scarlet Timphony said they each saw “War Horse,” but neither knew Finders Key was in the film until a reporter told them.

“I cried my eyes out during that picture,” Mangold said. “I’m kicking myself for not recognizing him. I’d say that our acting careers have turned out much better than our racing careers.”

In his last race, Finders Key, at 77-1 odds, finished next to last in an eight-horse field. The official chart of the four-and-a-half-furlong race said Finders Key “lacked the needed closing response.” Finders Key earned $500 in purses in his four starts.

“I remember standing with Vincent Timphony one morning during workouts,” Ortiz said. “He said that what the horse needed was grass racing. I thought, What’s he doing at Los Alamitos? Los Alamitos doesn’t have a grass course.”

Timphony sent the horse to Ortiz because he was ill with diabetes and still trying to train a few horses at Santa Anita. Scarlet Timphony said she did not remember what she and her husband paid for Finders Key, only that he was inexpensive because the breeder, James J. Lindsey, had died and the estate was eager to sell his horses. Yet Finders Key’s grandsires are Roberto and Key to the Mint. In 1972, Roberto won the Epsom Derby in England, and Key to the Mint, who won the Travers and the Whitney at Saratoga, was voted the best 3-year-old colt in North America.

The Timphonys had a dispute with Ortiz over training bills, a matter that went before the stewards at Los Alamitos. In effect, Ortiz took over ownership of Finders Key in the settlement.

Bobby Lovgren, a trainer for “Seabiscuit,” bought Finders Key for an undisclosed sum after the filming.

“He wasn’t the easiest horse to work with,” Lovgren said. “But I liked his personality. He would get an expression on his face that was different than many horses, and great for close-ups. He brought a lot to the table, and is average-sized, which means that he can be a good fit playing other horses in a lot of films.”

Lovgren, a native of South Africa, was the head horse trainer for “War Horse.” Finders Key was flown to England from Los Angeles, a 12-hour trip, to join the production. It was the first time the horse had been on a plane, but Lovgren said he handled the flight without incident. After filming in England, Finders Key was sent to Montreal for four months to shoot the Snow White  movie “Mirror Mirror,” which stars Julia Roberts and will be in theaters March 16.

“Horses actually travel better in the air than they do going by van someplace,” Lovgren said. “Most of the time, it’s a much smoother trip.”

In the New Yorker,  David Denby called “War Horse” unimaginative but also wrote, “The horses themselves are magnificent, and maybe that’s reason enough to see the movie.”

And one of Finders Key’s friends on Facebook said: “The scene where Joey loses his friend, the black horse, made me cry uncontrollably. He just lingers, not wanting to leave his friend behind. How they brought such emotion out of an animal was remarkable and so moving. If you’ve ever loved and lost an animal, then you can relate to it. It hit home so closely for me.”

Finders Key is now back in California, at Lovgren’s ranch near Los Angeles, while Lovgren considers new scripts. Some thoroughbreds live well past 20, so Finders Key, 13, could have a long movie career ahead of him.

Before it ends, he could be driven to Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, to have his hoof prints immortalized in cement. Right next to Trigger’s.

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:31 am »

Lovgren, a native of South Africa, was the head horse trainer for "War Horse."

That horse has an intelligent face.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.