Author Topic: Time, string theory, and everything  (Read 10145 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Time, string theory, and everything
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:03:13 pm »
When he does occasionally let fly, it can result in a confused tangle. Reflecting on a friend's missing tooth, one of his more existentialist characters ends up thinking "about three dimensions... and how things, shapes, folded in on themselves, and four dimensions, and if time is variable, then how do I vary it, and why do I want to? Because everything just focuses on me and I hate it". This is from "Jack-O" (published in Esquire  last year as "Just Before the Black"), which, to be fair, is the weakest story here.

Hmm, I just encountered something similar in a book I am reading, The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. The narrator, a dog, says, "Because memory is time folding back on itself. To remember is to disengage from the present." In fact, it also reminds me of the prelude to Brokeback Mountain where Annie Proulx describes the older Ennis' reveries: "He let a panel of the dream slide forward." This concept of time being flat or maleable occurs here and there in contemporary fiction. I wonder if it has to do with the growing popularity of string theory.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Time, string theory, and everything
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:20:44 am »
This concept of time being flat or maleable occurs here and there in contemporary fiction. I wonder if it has to do with the growing popularity of string theory.

Yeah, I occasionally hear the idea that time isn't really linear, that we just experience it that way, an illusion. I don't really get it. Isn't time, by definition, the process of moving forward from one moment to the next, one year to the next, and so on? If events don't happen in a linear one-way chronology, then that to me seems the absence of time, not a different concept of it.

??? Maybe it's just my human cognitive limitations that prevent me from understanding this.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:34 pm »
Hmm, I just encountered something similar in a book I am reading, The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. The narrator, a dog, says, "Because memory is time folding back on itself. To remember is to disengage from the present." In fact, it also reminds me of the prelude to Brokeback Mountain where Annie Proulx describes the older Ennis' reveries: "He let a panel of the dream slide forward." This concept of time being flat or maleable occurs here and there in contemporary fiction. I wonder if it has to do with the growing popularity of string theory.

That line always makes me thing of a shoji screen, which, of course, is totally out of place in Ennis's broken-down trailer, but let be, let be. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »
Yes, Jeff, the feng shui of Ennis' trailer left something to be desired. As Alma Jr. said, "Daddy you need more furniture!" Maybe she was thinking of a shoji screen, LOL!

I forget where I read recently about the development of string theory...apparently there are two dominant theories of time, space, and well, everything. There's Einstein's Theory of Relativity, which does an excellent job of explaining the macro universe. Then, there's quantum mechanics, which explains the micro world of particles. But there's a big disconnect between them which is relatively unexplained. Thus, the rise of string theory, and these "strings" apparently bridge the gap between micro and macro.

Let's discuss this further! I'm also excited about the parallels between what's happening in science and the arts, and how they reflect each other.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »
Now I remember where I read this...it was on the NPR website. Here's Brian Greene talking about string theory:

"the entire universe can be explained in terms of really, really small strings that vibrate in 10 or 11 dimensions — meaning dimensions we can't see. If it exists, it could explain literally everything in the universe — from subatomic particles to the laws of speed and gravity.

So what does this have to do with the possibility that a multiverse exists?

"There are a couple of multiverses that come out of our study of string theory," Greene says. "Within string theory, the strings that we're talking about are not the only entities that this theory allows. It also allows objects that look like large flying carpets, or membranes, which are two dimensional surfaces. And what that means, within string theory, is that we may be living on one of those gigantic surfaces, and there can be other surfaces floating out there in space."

Seems rather far-fetched, doesn't it?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »
I think of subjects like this the way my dog might speculate on why when I sit in the comfy chair I tend to hold a bunch of papers with little squiggles on them up in front of my face. That is, it's perfectly conceivable that these answers exist out there, but there's no way I -- and by I, I don't just mean me, with my limited science background, but really all humans with our limited human brains -- will ever really understand it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
That line always makes me thing of a shoji screen, which, of course, is totally out of place in Ennis's broken-down trailer, but let be, let be. ...

:)
I never heard the term shoji screen before, but I knew immediately what you meant, because I always thought the exact same thing whenever I read this line. The shoji screen part, not the out of place part, because I like the mental image Proulx uses here.
(Meanhwile I looked up the term then, to be sure).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »
I think of subjects like this the way my dog might speculate on why when I sit in the comfy chair I tend to hold a bunch of papers with little squiggles on them up in front of my face. That is, it's perfectly conceivable that these answers exist out there, but there's no way I -- and by I, I don't just mean me, with my limited science background, but really all humans with our limited human brains -- will ever really understand it.
Never say ever, friend! Sure, we can't comprehend the universe now, but maybe someday in some far distant aeon...the human brain is limited, yes, but it can change and evolve.

And, speaking to your first point, I'm reading a book written by a dog right now! It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth (or is that Garff?) Stein.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:01 pm »
Another example of this "flatness" thinking is from the special Brokeback Mountain issue of Film Quarterly, Spring 2007, which friend Chrissi gave to me (thank you, friend!) In the article "Don't Ask, Don't Tell Me" by Joshua Clover and Christopher Nealon, the authors rhapsodize over Madonna's music video for "Don't Tell Me" from her Music album of 2001. They describe the series of flat planes that appear in the video as "not depth but possibility, allowing a range of motion and feeling that retains its shock and intensity." The video suggests that Madonna occupies a space where the virtual becomes "real" and then becomes virtual again. Then, dancing cowboys on separate screens join together behind Madonna and mimic her moves, while they exist on different planes.

The authors conclude, "The layered flatness of "Don't Tell Me" comprise a structure of feeling; the feelings themselves come from the mobility of iconic figures between the layers." Artists like Richard Prince, and parodists who create cartoon representations of Brokeback Mountain want to rescue the icons from their realistic depth and return them to the flatness in which, ironically, they can enjoy greater freedom. In the end of the video, a magnificent horse and rider appear, a Prince painting come to life, the horse throws the man, and he watchs it run away, left in Western loneliness.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:39 pm »

Contemplating string theory too long is enough to make one embrace Creationism. ...  :P  8)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »
Contemplating string theory too long is enough to make one embrace Creationism. ...  :P  8)  ;D

:laugh: :laugh:

I hear you - ruminating over multiple multi-verses and time as non-linear, spherical or branched, collapsing and repeating realities kinda makes one want to pop some popcorn and watch telly.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 01:28:43 am »
Another example of this "flatness" thinking is from the special Brokeback Mountain issue of Film Quarterly, Spring 2007, which friend Chrissi gave to me (thank you, friend!)

Nope, it wasn't me. Someone else deserves the credit and thanks.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:16 am »
:laugh: :laugh:

I hear you - ruminating over multiple multi-verses and time as non-linear, spherical or branched, collapsing and repeating realities kinda makes one want to pop some popcorn and watch telly.

I hear Jennifer Aniston is adopting a kid, and I guess Ryan and Sandra are getting along well.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »
I think there are some other threads where Jennifer, Ryan, and Sandra are discussed. This thread is for time, string theory, and everything.  :)

Oh, and Kathryn, mark my words. The day is coming very soon when you will be needing to know a little bit about string theory and other related things in order to converse with your children!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:27:29 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:41:46 pm »
I was shopping over at Costco last night and I saw rows and rows of Brian Greene's book neatly laid out on the counters. I haven't read it yet but I think there must be someone who can explain these concepts better than he does. I haven't been very impressed with the way he lays it out. I actually think this is presented better in movies, art, performances, music, literature, and religious teachings. Even fiber art and quilting resonates better with me...after all, it is composed of strings!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 09:37:49 pm »
From the website of Kensho:

Boy: “When you take apart a Lego house and mix the pieces into the bin, where does the house go?”

Girl: “It’s in the bin.”

Boy: “No, those are just the pieces. They could become spaceships or trains. The house was an arrangement. The arrangement doesn’t stay with the pieces and it doesn’t go anywhere else. It’s just gone.”

Do you agree with the girl, the boy, or....?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:49 pm »
I think there are some other threads where Jennifer, Ryan, and Sandra are discussed. This thread is for time, string theory, and everything.  :)

Just joking, FRiend. I love discussing deeper subjects.

Oh, and Kathryn, mark my words. The day is coming very soon when you will be needing to know a little bit about string theory and other related things in order to converse with your children!!

Well, we'll see ...  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:07 am »

:)
I never heard the term shoji screen before, but I knew immediately what you meant, because I always thought the exact same thing whenever I read this line. .

Me too!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »
I didn't envison it as a shoji screen. I saw it more as a panel in a cartoon or the storyboard of a movie. You know how in the '60s there were split screen panels in movies. I'm thinking of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, also Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice. The technique was revived by Ken Burns, PowerPoint, and Ang Lee in his recent movie Taking Woodstock.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »
Here's the video "Don't Tell Me". It's fun!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7267469926601042792#

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 06:05:47 pm »
What about the harmonica that is flattened by a lucky throw from the touchy mare. The harmonica theme is expanded by screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana in the movie. Interestingly, AP chose a similar instrument, the accordion, and focused an entire novel on it, Accordion Crimes.

"Flatness" occurs in the very first part of the story...Jack comes from Lightning Flat. The harmonica is introduced during the mountain scenes, and then flatness comes up again at the end. Jack is "pumping up a flat" when it supposedly explodes and the tire rim hits him in the jaw. He dies by suffocation...blood fills his lungs.

Also, in the prelude of the story, the wind, which has been wailing around Ennis' trailer, temporarily "dies" leaving a brief silence, while Ennis has been dreaming about his old sheepherding partner on the mountain. Does flatness refer to lack of wind (breath)? Or does it mean more than that, the "flattening" that is caused by our being beaten down by life, being "hit by the hammer of life" as AP refers to it?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 02:58:34 pm »
I'm just now delving into Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, which promises to satisfy my craving to learn about the congruence of science and spirituality. Check out the first few pages, which marvel at the motley assemblage of ordinary atoms that came together to make...us!!

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/0767908171#reader_0767908171

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:10:57 pm »

These days I'm really enjoying the series on NOVA (public television) called "The Fabric of the Cosmos". One of the concepts presented is the theory that time does not actually flow like a river but is a string of snapshots much like a motion picture, strung together, and we can theoretically go back or forward within time, experiencing moments that will always exist frozen in time. That's a strangely comforting thought to me.