Author Topic: Our summer holiday in the USA!  (Read 21577 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Our summer holiday in the USA!
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:53:27 am »
At last! After talking about this for a couple of years, the tickets have been booked. This year our summer holiday destination is the Eastern US. Yeehaw!

We'll be flying to New York on June 30th and coming back home on June 18th from Boston. So that's a good two weeks.

We haven't figured out our itinerary yet, but we plan on visiting Washington too  (I have yet to convince my daughters that we probably won't be meeting president Obama  ::))

Other things on our list: Cape Cod, whale watching, Pennsylvania (Amish country maybe?), .... We definitely don't want to be traveling from city to city.

I'm going to buy some travel books this weekend and start planning.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Our summer holiday in the USA!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:08:10 am »
Congrats Fabienne! That sounds like a wonderful vacation! And there's lots of things to see and do up along the Northeast coast! Have you been to the U.S. before?

Maybe the next time you come over you and your family can explore the the Midwest and visit cities such as Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Cincinnati. (And we have lots of Amish here in Indiana too! ;) )

I hope you and your family will have lots of fun. I'm sure you will. And as you know we have many Brokie members living up there in the Northeast! 8)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:27:07 am »
At last! After talking about this for a couple of years, the tickets have been booked. This year our summer holiday destination is the Eastern US. Yeehaw!

We'll be flying to New York on June 30th and coming back home on June 18th from Boston. So that's a good two weeks.

We haven't figured out our itinerary yet, but we plan on visiting Washington too  (I have yet to convince my daughters that we probably won't be meeting president Obama  ::))

Other things on our list: Cape Cod, whale watching, Pennsylvania (Amish country maybe?), .... We definitely don't want to be traveling from city to city.

Congrats Fabienne and family! You'll have so much fun! I would so love to do this with my family.

(I have yet to convince my daughters that we probably won't be meeting president Obama  ::))

He he. Precious kids.

Yes, that's (almost) the best part of it. I bought my Alberta travel guide months before I booked the flight. I love the whole process of planning: the endless possibilities when you start looking into it, then narrowing down your interests (and financial feasability) and finally checking very concrete ideas/locations/accomodations.

The only thing better than planning a trip is actually taking it. :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:02 am »
Sounds like a fab trip Fabienne!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:25:47 am »
Yay!  I hope I get to see you!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55:23 am »
Pennsylvania (Amish country maybe?).

This is my home turf, where I grew up. Seriously, trust me on this--the region has been over-exploited and over-commercialized. It is no longer the rural, old-fashioned haven of my childhood. If you cannot fit this into your itinerary, you won't be missing anything. Don't make it a priority over something else, say, Cape Cod, example.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit of a downer. I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful trip, wherever you decide to go.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:23:30 am »
This is my home turf, where I grew up. Seriously, trust me on this--the region has been over-exploited and over-commercialized. It is no longer the rural, old-fashioned haven of my childhood. If you cannot fit this into your itinerary, you won't be missing anything. Don't make it a priority over something else, say, Cape Cod, example.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit of a downer. I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful trip, wherever you decide to go.  :)
I can´t agree with that (but then I don´t know how it used to be), but I visited this area last year and had a very good time. It was exciting to get a glimpse of the Amish way of life. The highlight was one night we spent on a farm (a B&B) in Paradise and we fell asleep to the sound of Amish buggies driving by the house. We also saw a couple of covered bridges in this area.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:17:22 am »
We also saw a couple of covered bridges in this area.

Oooh! Like in beetlejuice!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:33:51 am »
I can´t agree with that (but then I don´t know how it used to be), but I visited this area last year and had a very good time. It was exciting to get a glimpse of the Amish way of life. The highlight was one night we spent on a farm (a B&B) in Paradise and we fell asleep to the sound of Amish buggies driving by the house. We also saw a couple of covered bridges in this area.

You probably got the Disneyland view that it's in the interest of the toursim bureau to sell to visitors. I can't speak to Amish communities in other parts of the U.S., but in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, these are by and large NOT people leading the simple life style of 150 years ago. In the typical Amish home, you'll find all the modern conveniences in the kitchen--they'll just be run by propane instead of electricity. No TV, to be sure, and there won't be a land-line telephone, but these days most of them have cells. No computer that requires being plugged into something, like cable or telephone wires, but they have lap tops. They will drive a horse and buggy for local travel, but if they need to do any serious traveling, they will take a train or a bus, or hire someone "English" (their word for all non-Amish) with a motor vehicle to take them (someone my father worked with this does this all the time for his "retirement job"). It isn't even unheard of for teenage Amish boys to keep a car out behind the barn--they are allowed to get away with this until they actually join the church. A few years ago there was a scandal involving Amish using and selling drugs. In short, the "Amish way of life" that most tourists see in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is more than half fraudulent.

That's an insider's view.

And you can see covered bridges in lots of places in the U.S., including New England.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »
Fabienne, that's great news!  We New Yorkers will be sure to make ourselves available for a little sightseeing, especially if it involves good food!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...