Author Topic: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (and Remove yourself from junk mailing lists!)  (Read 1928 times)

Online Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Here is a Lenten 'do' that I can share here...of course, I'm cross-posting from FB, but that happens a lot these days.

We were chatting on FB a few days ago about how much trouble I have dealing with recycling since I have three people in the house instead of just myself.

So, I have rededicated myself to recycling everything humanly possible - which in Boston amounts to everything but food and pet waste, essentially.  I chatted with Chris about this so we are now going to be taking the trash and recycling out to the patio (to the covered bins) on an "as you use it" basis.  They pick up trash here twice/week and recycling once/week.  

Furthermore, in an attempt to eliminate all of the unwanted mail, I've registered myself at the following two websites and "opted-out" of everything I could find - catalogs, telephone directories, magazine offers, credit card offers, etc...

How To Stop Junk Mail

Sorting the Mail and Eliminating Junk

The fine print indicates that it takes 30-90 days for the removals to take effect, so I put 6/12/2011 on my calendar as the day I can start registering complaints if anything comes through.

;D

In addition, a college bud, Chris endorses Life Lock, which I believe involves a fee but offers more protection related to identity theft.  Chris says,

"If anyone tries to apply for credit with my stats, I get a call to approve and they call immediately so there's not a wait if its me. It also reduces credit card and mortgage offers."

When I was finished with all this, I pinged the Community Garden people and learned that this year's organizational meeting is 4/9. I'll be planting flowering plants to promote pollination in addition to the tomatoes, beets, and herbs.

The UN on Thursday expressed alarm at a huge decline in bee colonies under a multiple onslaught of pests and pollution, urging an international effort to save the pollinators that are vital for food crops.

Much of the decline, ranging up to 85 percent in some areas, is taking place in the industrialised northern hemisphere due to more than a dozen factors, according to a report by the UN's environmental agency.

They include pesticides, air pollution, a lethal pinhead-sized parasite that only affects bee species in the northern hemisphere, mismanagement of the countryside, the loss of flowering plants and a decline in beekeepers in Europe.

Read the rest of the article here.

If bees go, we're next.

:-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."