Author Topic: Meeting Annie  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Meeting Annie
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »
Last night [Shuggy'sman] and I went to "An Evening with Annie Proulx" - $NZ20 and a glass of wine - at a hotel meeting room, with the usual hard chairs, low ceiling, dim lighting, etc. (In fact we could hardly see her.)

She spoke almost off the cuff, very lucidly about Bird Cloud and its writing, writing in general, Brokeback and the reaction (apparently a lot of people in Wyoming would not believe there had ever been any gay people in Wyoming). (Cold) weather and protection against it figured strongly. The first words of the woman whose place she was using to write when she first went to Wyoming were "Let me show you the furnace!" She's a striking personality, warmth tempered by strength. One odd thing was how little her family figured. If she had a husband, or her children a father, we never learnt his name.

We were almost first in line to see her afterward since we'd already bought our book, not Bird Cloud, of course but Close Range of course, the edition with Jack and Heath on the cover. She took it and signed it before she spoke to us, so no message. Just her name in tiny handwriting. (Does she have Parkinson's? Micrographia is a symptom.) Then we stumbled over each other to tell her how BBM had changed our lives, by kickstarting us into living together, and when she got it she shook our hands and said "Grand!" I think that's the kind of changing the ending she likes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:41:29 am by Shuggy »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Meeting Annie
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
That's great, Shuggy!  Thanks for the report.  We're part of a sub-flock of Brokies who can say they've met Annie.  I've seen her twice in New York with other Brokies, once at a museum talking about art and another time at a New York Times book event.  Yes, she does have teeny tiny writing, and yes, she is one smart, lucid woman.  It's great that you got to tell her how Brokeback had influenced your lives.  8)

What town in New Zealand are you in?  She sure is going far afield on her book tour.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:20:57 am »
Last night Tim and I went to "An Evening with Annie Proulx" - $N20 and a glass of wine - at a hotel meeting room, with the usual hard chairs, low ceiling, dim lighting, etc. (In fact we could hardly see her.)

She spoke almost off the cuff, very lucidly about Bird Cloud and its writing, writing in general, Brokeback and the reaction (apparently a lot of people in Wyoming would not believe there had ever been any gay people in Wyoming). (Cold) weather and protection against it figured strongly. The first words of the woman whose place she was using to write when she first went to Wyoming were "Let me show you the furnace!" She's a striking personality, warmth tempered by strength. One odd thing was how little her family figured. If she had a husband, or her children a father, we never learnt his name.

We were almost first in line to see her afterward since we'd already bought our book, not Bird Cloud, of course but Close Range of course, the edition with Jack and Heath on the cover. She took it and signed it before she spoke to us, so no message. Just her name in tiny handwriting. (Does she have Parkinson's? Micrographia is a symptom.) Then we stumbled over each other to tell her how BBM had changed our lives, by kickstarting us into living together, and when she got it she shook our hands and said "Grand!" I think that's the kind of changing the ending she likes.

Thanks for sharing, Shruggy. Very interesting to hear about your experience.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:23:14 am »
That's great, Shuggy!  Thanks for the report.  We're part of a sub-flock of Brokies who can say they've met Annie.  
Yes you are - and lucky you. Will she ever come to any of the Nordic countries, I wonder...

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:41:41 am »
What town in New Zealand are you in?  She sure is going far afield on her book tour.
Near Wellington. The gathering was in Wellington. She was going to visit Christchurch, but that was cancelled. A pity, because she would have written something very interesting about Christchurch.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:55 am »
Near Wellington. The gathering was in Wellington. She was going to visit Christchurch, but that was cancelled. A pity, because she would have written something very interesting about Christchurch.

Yes, I'd like to see what she would have written about Christchurch, too.

It strikes me as cool that my two fandoms, Lord of the Rings and Brokeback, rode exactly side-by-side when Annie was there just now.  "The Hobbit" starts filming around Wellington today.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
I am glad I saw this, she autographed my copy of Postcards in 2006 (when they were blowing insulation in Bird Cloud) her signature was tiny then too. She seems to be a very complex person, as I suppose we all are.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."