Author Topic: New Brokeback book  (Read 11306 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: New Brokeback book
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:22 pm »
The Close Range  hardcover collection of short stories includes Matthews' watercolors and they're gorgeous.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:46 pm »
Yes, here is a link to the William Matthews gallery which is in downtown Denver across the street from the Rockmount Ranch Wear store where the shirts were ordered.

http://www.williammatthewsgallery.com/

William Matthews is a neighbor of mine and his daughter went to school with my daughter.

I see he is selling a copy of the book signed by him for $150.00. Friend Rodney gave me a copy signed by Annie Proulx and one of these days I'll get him to sign it too.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:48 am »
The Close Range  hardcover collection of short stories includes Matthews' watercolors and they're gorgeous.

Ah! Thanks, Paul. Sorta figgered I might recognize his work when I saw it. There's a kind of dreamscape quality about this image.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »
Yes, here is a link to the William Matthews gallery which is in downtown Denver across the street from the Rockmount Ranch Wear store where the shirts were ordered.

http://www.williammatthewsgallery.com/

William Matthews is a neighbor of mine and his daughter went to school with my daughter.

I see he is selling a copy of the book signed by him for $150.00. Friend Rodney gave me a copy signed by Annie Proulx and one of these days I'll get him to sign it too.

Wow! His paintings are gorgeous!!

Thanks for the link, Lee!

And he's your neighbour? Wow again!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »
Wow! His paintings are gorgeous!!

Thanks for the link, Lee!

And he's your neighbour? Wow again!

Not to mention that we were right across the street  from his gallery when we visited the Rockmount store last May!  How'd we miss that?!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 06:01:49 pm »
Not to mention that we were right across the street  from his gallery when we visited the Rockmount store last May!  How'd we miss that?!

I know! I thought about that too!

I guess the answer is because we didn't know it was there!!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 06:08:50 pm »
I agree with you Jeff that this doesn't appear to be a book about the movie. Neither do any of the other books I have, with the possible exception of Story to Screenplay. One or two are primarily about the story and one would understand why those don't have photos (although the original story DOES have illustrations...watercolors by William Matthews). But, as book after book appears, I'm starting to get impatient to see ONE that has some beautiful color photos in it. Such books have been produced about other movies Ang Lee has done...why not Brokeback Mountain??  ???

The pictures are very expensive to license. Permission fees from Universal Studios for visual images are $1,000 per image last time I checked and that was in 2008.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »
This book is already available on ebay for under $18.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
This book is already available on ebay for under $18.

Be careful to be sure you're buying from someone who already has the book, not someone who is selling it in advance. I fell into that trap with my first copy of Story to Screenplay.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:26:40 am »
Be careful to be sure you're buying from someone who already has the book, not someone who is selling it in advance. I fell into that trap with my first copy of Story to Screenplay.

It just arrived today!