Author Topic: HER NAME IS RAMONA!  (Read 10427 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: HER NAME IS RAMONA!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:03:48 am »
Hey, I think Ramona is a nice name! But then, I love names that are slightly outdated and obscure.

My 12-year-old son has a name that I'd never heard on anybody younger than 65. Then I met a kid in the neighborhood with the same name, about four years younger than my son. I figured his parents must have heard me hollering down the street while expecting their baby and thought, "Hmmm ...!"

I assumed Heath and Michelle picked Matilda because it's a classic Australian name, as in Waltzing.

Barb, you posted while I was writing. Great minds!  :)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:04:34 am »
Mona was Mary's best friend in the sit com the Mary tyler Moore show...remember Mona from NYC?

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 10:05:35 am »
 :) CONGRATULATIONS!! to the happy parents and family - we know this child has some excellent genetic material!!

I did not know that Maggie was due so soon - silly me, I thought it was a future event like months away.  Hope everything went well for Mom and child. :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 10:10:42 am »
Mona was Mary's best friend in the sit com the Mary tyler Moore show...remember Mona from NYC?

Sorry, but that was Rhoda.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071040/

But there's a famous painting of a woman named Mona. Her last name is Lisa.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 10:19:51 am »
Just for my own education, why is Ramona considered a classic, literary name? I keep reading that here. As far as I'm concerned it is just the femenine for Ramón, a very common spanish name. Ramón - Ramona. Curiously, not many anglosaxon boys are named Ramón, are they?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:35 am »
Just for my own education, why is Ramona considered a classic, literary name? I keep reading that here. As far as I'm concerned it is just the femenine for Ramón, a very common spanish name. Ramón - Ramona. Curiously, not many anglosaxon boys are named Ramón, are they?

Natali, the Ramona books are hardly literature! LOL

Ramon has been continuously popular as a boy's name in the US, more so than Ramona, and was no. 364 in 2005.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:29:46 am »
I just went to a baby name site and looked up my son's name and found its use has actually been rising -- in the 2000s it is more popular than it has been since the 1890s.

I guess I was hollering louder than I thought!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 10:43:57 am »
It's so interesting to me how very, VERY subjective names are.  I never got so much advice on one thing while I was pregnant as I did on names.  People would say, "What do you think you're going to name him?"  I'd say, "We've already decided on Will."  And most would say, "You know what name *I* like?"  (I'd think, "No, but I'm sure you're gonna tell me.")  Nine times out of ten, they'd say a name and I'd think "EWWWW."  Which was probably what they were thinking about Will.  Every now and then someone would say, "Oh, I LOVE that name!"  But that was the exception.

Funny thing - our son's name is his given name.  It's not short for anything.  We figured we should just name him what we wanted to call him to avoid any confusion.  But what do we get now?  "Oh, Will.  Short for William, right?"

::)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:40:48 pm »
What I hate is when you're pregnant and people ask what names you're considering and THEY'RE the ones who go "EEEEWWWWW!!" Or "Oh. Um ... well, that's an interesting choice." Or "For god's sake, don't name him (whatever)!"

That last comment is what I heard from my relatives -- speaking practically in unison -- when I mentioned we had briefly considered my great-uncle's name. And they were more closely related to my great-uncle! Well, they were probably right, though, and we didn't go with it. The name was Otis.

Here we are, hijacking yet another thread in order to talk about our own kids. We really do need to start that parenting thread, as Mel suggested!   ::)

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 12:49:11 pm »
Hey Katherine, do you want to start it here or in Anything Goes?

And congrats to Maggie and Peter. And the name "Ramona" makes me nostalgic for 4th grade... well, if anything could make me nostalgic for 4th grade.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.