Author Topic: HER NAME IS RAMONA!  (Read 10431 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: HER NAME IS RAMONA!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:32 pm »
Natali, the Ramona books are hardly literature! LOL

I read these as a kid "Ramona The Pest" was my fave.  :laugh:

I beg to differ, I think Ramona the Pest, and all the rest of the author's books certainly are fine literature, I'd be willing to bet that millions of kids loved all the books written by that literary genius who is Beverly Cleary.

In my own family, it was the Ramona books, and nothing else, that gave my sister the taste for reading.  She had invisible learning problems (this was in the sixties) she *hated* and struggled mightily all through school.  She couln't read well, she couldn't spell, and more.  The best thing that happened to her in school was findiing the Ellen Tibbits book and Ramona The Pest on the school library shelves.  She brought them home and she started to read for pleasure for the first time in her life.  I will never forget the change they made in her life.  She actually started to read books at the ripe old age of 12.  She turned into a reader only  because of Beverly Cleary.

To me those books were a godsend, not to be snickered at.  If Tom Sawyer is Literature, then why not Ramona The Pest?

Jane
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: HER NAME IS RAMONA!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:36 pm »
I beg to differ, I think Ramona the Pest, and all the rest of the author's books certainly are fine literature, I'd be willing to bet that millions of kids loved all the books written by that literary genius who is Beverly Cleary.

In my own family, it was the Ramona books, and nothing else, that gave my sister the taste for reading.  She had invisible learning problems (this was in the sixties) she *hated* and struggled mightily all through school.  She couln't read well, she couldn't spell, and more.  The best thing that happened to her in school was findiing the Ellen Tibbits book and Ramona The Pest on the school library shelves.  She brought them home and she started to read for pleasure for the first time in her life.  I will never forget the change they made in her life.  She actually started to read books at the ripe old age of 12.  She turned into a reader only  because of Beverly Cleary.

To me those books were a godsend, not to be snickered at.  If Tom Sawyer is Literature, then why not Ramona The Pest?

Jane

Jane, that's a very inspiring story.  Thanks for telling it.