Author Topic: Women on Facebook still prefer to take their husband's name in marriage  (Read 7149 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
And men are still contemptuous of women having any other choice rather than take his name.

Obviously as the article and many commenters points out, wanting to keep your own name means you're waffling about marriage and not ready for it.  ::)

Seems he takes offense to the idea of me tacking his last name on to the one I already have. The move — according to him — says I’m wishy-washy about my commitment and (gasp) that I’m not ready to leave my family and be a wife. When I introduced the subject for discussion on Facebook, turns out plenty of folks from both genders side with his opinion. I didn’t tell him that, though.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/hyphenated-married-name-fight-heats-up-on-facebook-2457045/?posted=1#postcomment

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I've always thought that idea was dumb anyway.

I have a friend who kept her "maiden" ::) name after she married.  She has a family friend who will only send invites to her addressed to her "married" name, which doesn't exist as she didn't take it.

I remember a few yeas ago reading a story of a woman who grew up in a family with only girls, and her father mentioned that his family name would die with him.

When the woman got married, her new husband agreed to take HER name, so that any children they had would continue to carry her father's name on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
I kept my name and he kept his, the kids has his last name. Has worked well for us.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....