Author Topic: Anyone been to Italy?  (Read 70771 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Anyone been to Italy?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »
and you can get a gelato any time of the night!

;D

When I was in Rome, I had white chocolate with hazelnut gelato three times.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 04:05:30 am »
HAs your sister replied Del?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »
HAs your sister replied Del?

Yes, she said spring of 2012 was OK with her.  And to put a cap on the time, the Fates agreed.  I went to the Renaissance Faire last weekend and the woman who read my Tarot cards told me I'd be taking a trip next spring.  :o

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »
Yes, she said spring of 2012 was OK with her.  And to put a cap on the time, the Fates agreed.  I went to the Renaissance Faire last weekend and the woman who read my Tarot cards told me I'd be taking a trip next spring.  :o

ooooh!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:49 pm »
 >:( >:( >:(

I understand things change and things come up, but you know...I've been planning this trip for 3 years.  I got laid off, then got another job and had to wait for the money to be back in the bank and then wait for my sister to make up her mind, so I think I've been patient.

I've been pretty stoked about our trip in the spring, getting things together, checking out tour groups, getting advice from people.

Now, my sister has fucked things up again.

As most of you know, she's been on my back about moving out of mom's house so she can move in ever since I moved here.  Like she's afraid I'll forget I'm supposed to get out and give her her turn.  It's closer to her job, blah blah blah.

Fine, whatever.  So I've never really totally unpacked or made any real investment in the property since I won't be here to enjoy it except to keep the house sound and in working condition.  The aesthetics still need to be addressed.

Well, in the last month my sister was up for review at her place of employment.

She did not get the raise and promotion she was expecting.  She is through with her current employer.  So, of course, she makes the totally logical decision to haul up stakes, put her stuff in storage and move back to her old college town 300 miles away and move in with a friend's college-age son while he goes to school.

She's going to start packing in November.

Makes sense if she's going to stay a while, right?  But she's not going to stay a while.  She's just going down there until I'm out of the house, then she's moving right back here again.

??? ??? ???

Stupidity aside, tonight we were talking on the phone because she keeps e-mailing me these "Stay in a Tuscan villa for 11 nights for CHEAP PRICE" advertisements.

Finally I tell her, "I thought we were going on a tour.  We can't do this stuff if we're on a tour.  What do you want to do, a tour or just take the train from city to city and stay at these places?"

Her reply?

"I'll let you know."

We're less than 5 months from our target trip time.  This sounds way too ambiguous for me.

I asked, "I'm planning on finalizing our plans by October, when will you let me know?"

"Oh, well, when I move down, it depends on if I get a permanent job or have to work temp.  If I get a temp job, then it doesn't matter, if I get a permanent one..."

I interrupt, "When is this?"

Her reply, "Oh, in January or so."

"Tours fill up fast.  We have to make a decision pretty quick.  Like in the next month, we can't wait until January and hope to make an April tour."

She starts to speak, but then I just cut her off, "You know, I'm just going to make plans for myself now.  If you can make it you make it, if not you don't."

She said OK and hurriedly hung up the phone.

>:(

Looks like I'm going to Italy alone.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:40 am »
Well, if you did go to Italy alone, you'd probably have fun (maybe more fun than you'd have with your sister!  ::)). On my first trip there, I met a woman who was traveling alone and really enjoying it. Admittedly, she'd been in Italy before.

Another idea, though, is to go ahead and make the reservations as if you were going to have the trip that you have in mind. Check their cancellation rules, but often -- maybe it's harder in Italy -- you can back out up to a certain point and not have to pay.

If you stay in Tuscany you'll only be able to conveniently see Florence and small towns. If you want to see Rome, which I highly recommend, don't lock yourself into an 11-day rental.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 02:42:53 am »
Well, if you did go to Italy alone, you'd probably have fun (maybe more fun than you'd have with your sister!  ::)).

I was kind of thinking the same thing.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »
I was kind of thinking the same thing.  :(

Same here.  I am one of those people who does not tire of my own company.

If you want to see Rome, which I highly recommend, don't lock yourself into an 11-day rental.

I have no intention of being stuck in one region.  While I love the Tuscany area, Rome is my main goal in Italy, Venice is my second.  I daresay if I or both of us went with such a rental, we'd take the train to other parts and pay the extra expense to stay overnight in these cities to tour.  I think that extra expense would more than eat into any money we might have saved.  Which is why that sort of rental was my sister's idea and not mine.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »
I am one of those people who does not tire of my own company.

Same here. That's a good sort of person to be.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:13 pm »
Same here. That's a good sort of person to be.  :)

Sure enough, but in Italy I bet you'll also want to be in the company of Italians, at least to some extent. You probably know this, but my advice is to get hold of some learn-Italian DVDs and listen to them whenever you're in the car. Or put them on your iPod. The better you can speak Italian when you get there, the better off you'll be, and the more social you can be. Plus, it's a lovely language, and not hard to learn if you already know a romance language.

BTW, this might sound nationist or sexualist or something, but IMO there are a lot of spectacularly beautiful Italians, of all genders. The first time there, my friend and I were constantly parlando back and forth about all of the belli uomi. After a couple of days, we didn't even bother to point out anybody below an otto or nove.