Author Topic: Anyone been to Italy?  (Read 70795 times)

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Anyone been to Italy?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:06 pm »
The convent said this:

Carissima ,
                  per la prenotazione basta inviare conferma via e-mail .  Si paga all ' arrivo .
Saluti  . Suor  Francesca

Any help would be appreciated!
It's just what you thought.  "for a reservation an email confirmation is enough.  Payment is not required until arrival.  Greetings, Sister Francesca"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
Thank you so much.

The B&B replied in English this time:

confirm the double room
single use for two days.
Check in April 16
Check-Out April 18
For the payment made
arrival in Pompeii.
Goodbye.
See you soon.
                                     B&B
                         POMPEI

I guess that means I pay when I show up?  I REALLY don't like not having a reservation and confirmation number, but I guess there's nothing much I can do if I"m staying at these mom & pop places.

Just booked my flight.

I wanted to fly into Venice and then out of Rome, but apparently I can't do that without jacking up the airfares ridiculously.

So I'm flying in and out of Rome.  Guess I'll have to take the train or puddle jumper from Rome to Venice.

I'm sweating my flight back, though.  I leave at noon out of Rome, but I'll be in Pompeii, so I'd have to take the train from Pompeii to Rome and I think I can make it if I get up early enough, but the train schedules won't be up until maybe as late as February for April, so I won't know until then.  

*sigh*

Maybe I'll just spend one night in Pompeii and come back to Rome a day early so I don't miss my flight.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 01:41:45 am »
Just booked my flight.

Yay, congrats! :)
It's such a great feeling to do that, isn't it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Anyone read Italian?
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
Hey!  Whaddaya trying to say!?!  >:(  ;)

It's not like I'm going to wear white or anything.

And it's just in Venice.

I'm staying at a monastery in Florence.  ;D

Only that someone should warn the nuns--and the monks in Florence, I guess--to be prepared for lightning strikes. ...  ;D

Are you sure that convent in Venice isn't like a "nunnery" as Shakespeare used it in Hamlet?  ???

Actually, that does sound like it could be kind of a neat place to stay.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »

Yay, congrats! :)
It's such a great feeling to do that, isn't it?

:laugh:  Actually no.  I'm so incredibly terrified of flying, I always feel like I've signed my own death warrant when I book a flight for myself.  If I change seats, I'm instantly worried that I might have gone from a plane crash survivor seat to a dead one.  I've been unable to sleep well for days making these plans.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
Only that someone should warn the nuns--and the monks in Florence, I guess--to be prepared for lightning strikes. ...  ;D

Are you sure that convent in Venice isn't like a "nunnery" as Shakespeare used it in Hamlet?  ???

Actually, that does sound like it could be kind of a neat place to stay.  :)

Are you saying I should "get thee to a nunnery"?  >:(  ;)

If their god can't protect them from me, I can't say much for their god's protection.  ;D   ;)  :laugh:

I find monasteries and convents romantic.  And they are reputed - by people who have been to Italy - to be clean and safe.  Not that much cheaper than a cheap hotel mind, but a step up from a hostel and you get some ambiance unlike some local hotels which look horrible cheesy low-end modern.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2011, 03:59:08 pm »
Are you saying I should "get thee to a nunnery"?  >:(  ;)

I was trying to suggest that you might want to avoid one.  ;D  ;)

If their god can't protect them from me, I can't say much for their god's protection.  ;D   ;)  :laugh:

Two words: Collateral damage.  ;D

I find monasteries and convents romantic.  And they are reputed - by people who have been to Italy - to be clean and safe.  Not that much cheaper than a cheap hotel mind, but a step up from a hostel and you get some ambiance unlike some local hotels which look horrible cheesy low-end modern.

One would hope they would be clean and safe. Seriously, do you get breakfast, too? Like, even, coffee and a pastry, or sumpin'?

:laugh:  Actually no.  I'm so incredibly terrified of flying, I always feel like I've signed my own death warrant when I book a flight for myself.  If I change seats, I'm instantly worried that I might have gone from a plane crash survivor seat to a dead one.  I've been unable to sleep well for days making these plans.

:( I'm sorry to hear this.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2011, 07:44:27 pm »
I was trying to suggest that you might want to avoid one.  ;D  ;)

Two words: Collateral damage.  ;D
]

You are so bad!  I'd be measuring myself for a lightning rod if I were you.  :laugh:

One would hope they would be clean and safe. Seriously, do you get breakfast, too? Like, even, coffee and a pastry, or sumpin'?

Yep, a bed and breakfast in a convent and monastery.

:( I'm sorry to hear this.  :(

Me, too.  I expect to be heavily drugged throughout the flight.  It's an awful conjunction of loving to travel, but being terrified of flying.  It makes each trip a combination of hell and heaven. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »
You are so bad!  I'd be measuring myself for a lightning rod if I were you.  :laugh:

;D

Me, too.  I expect to be heavily drugged throughout the flight.  It's an awful conjunction of loving to travel, but being terrified of flying.  It makes each trip a combination of hell and heaven. 

Seriously, I wish there were something I could say to help. I'm not fond of the experience myself, but I mostly just try to focus on where I'm going, not how I'm getting there. But it sounds like you're aversion is a lot stronger than mine.  :(

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »
I used to be terrified of flying, but as I got older, I became more philosophical about risking my life in a plane.  That helps.  That, and Xanax.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...