Author Topic: Ang Lee's Life of Pi opens 21 November 2012: USA, Canada, and--Taiwan  (Read 42743 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ang Lee's Life of Pi opens 21 November 2012: USA, Canada, and--Taiwan
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:24 pm »
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/16/a_life_changing_film_for_the_young_actor_of_pi/singleton/

A ‘Life’ changing film
for the young actor of

Pi

By Jake Coyle
http://twitter.com/jake_coyle
Associated Press
Friday, Nov 16, 2012 10:45 AM EST

Suraj Sharma as Pi Patel, Life of Pi

NEW YORK (AP) — The only thing more unlikely than a movie about a boy adrift on a ship with a Bengali tiger is the tale of the film’s star.

Teenager Suraj Sharma went along with his acting brother to a Delhi, India, audition of Life of Pi  purely as a favor, motivated by the promise of a free meal.

“He said, ‘Come with me because I don’t want to go alone,’” Sharma recalled in an interview at Lincoln Center shortly before the film premiered at the New York Film Festival in September. “I said, ‘Fine, as long as you buy me a sandwich afterwards.’ That sandwich got me ‘Pi.’”

For a film about the wonder of faith, Sharma’s experience is one that stretches belief. Despite no prior acting experience or ambition, he managed to separate himself from 3,000 applicants and emerged through four rounds of auditions as the star in one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

For Life of Pi  to work, Sharma — now 19, 17 when filming started — had to succeed. And many think the film, to be released Wednesday, not only works, but is a legitimate Oscar contender — a 3-D magic act from director Ang Lee that translates Yann Martel’s 2001 best seller into a colorful cinematic language.

In it, Sharma plays Pi Patel, who, as a child, precociously combines Christianity, Buddhism and Islam into his own blend of religion. When his family is uprooted to Canada, the ship taking Pi, his family and many zoo animals, sinks in a storm, leaving Pi alone and clinging to life in a raft boat.

Making the film meant working with one of the most revered directors in movies. It meant spending months shooting in India and Taiwan, where a giant water tank was built for scenes at sea. It meant learning not only how to act, but how to swim.

“I can’t put it in words,” says Sharma, a bright and earnest kid who humbly recognizes his good fortune. “It’s too much. It was emotionally and spiritually and physically exhausting. I would never be able to tell people what I went through exactly, but hopefully it will come through in some ways.”

It was a journey Sharma’s parents (both mathematicians, fittingly) had some reluctance about, as it would mean missing a year of school. Lee argued a year spent working on Life of Pi  would be more rewarding than a year of school. Sharma’s mother performed a ceremony that made Lee her son’s guru — a new role for the director.

“I couldn’t even tell a joke in front of him. I had to behave,” Lee jokes. “I had to look after him. Normally when I work with actors, they move on and I move on. … I can pretty much say he started at the top — getting this kind of reception and making a movie. So I want to make sure he’s grounded and still getting his education — not only in school but in life. He should be OK if he doesn’t get crushed by what’s coming.”

“He’s a good boy,” adds Lee. “It seems like he can take it.”

In Life of Pi,  there’s nowhere for a young actor to hide, either. For a long stretch of the film, Pi is alone in the skiff with only the tiger, which was digitally added. Sharma had the added pressure of acting extensively in front of a blue screen, with little to go on other than Lee’s directions.

“Honestly, I still feel like I don’t know how to act,” says Sharma. “It was just him. I was just an instrument. He has this thing — suppose you’re really nervous and stressed out and going crazy — he’ll look you in the eye in a particular manner, and no matter who it is, you just go: whoosh! He’s like a Zen master or something. He makes you so calm that you just let him mold you into whatever he wants to mold you into.”

Sharma is now in his first year at Deli University where he’s concentrating his studies on philosophy.

“I’m pretty sure I want to end up in the film industry,” he says. “I don’t know if I want to act or not, but I do want to be part of making magic.”

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv8KMN1eYs&feature=related[/youtube]
Published on Oct 30, 2012 by ndtv

Eminent filmmaker Ang Lee whose is all set with his upcoming film, Life Of Pi  talks to NDTV about his experiences in India while filming for the film and how the country turned out to be his big inspiration.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/node/59504

An Early Review Of
LIFE OF PI
Sails In!!

Ace Rimmer
Published at:  Nov 07, 2012 12:35:53 PM CST

I just returned from the gala screening of LIFE OF PI  (in 3D) at the AFI Film Festival, which kicked off Thursday with HITCHCOCK   and will continue with LINCOLN, HOLY MOTORS  and the Palme d'Or winning AMOUR  among others.

The screening was opened by a virtual Ang Lee, who popped out of the screen in 3D and looked pretty damn exhausted. Apparently he finished it two weeks ago and said this was the hardest film he'd ever made. Then he mentioned it was all about faith. Nuf' said.

Went into PI  more curious than excited. The novel is a really solid piece of fiction, mixing intense survival story with thoughtful meditations on God and capping the whole thing off with a semi ambiguous, rug pulling twist. In fact it's the ending that I remember best from the book. It turns a memorable ride into a very clever, thought-provoking journey. If any of this sounds boring to you, look away now.

The trailers left me a little uninterested. Visually stunning of course, but the overwhelming, uplifting score and title cards declaring WHEN ALL YOU'VE EVER KNOWN IS LOST and FIND YOUR COURAGE didn't exactly peak my interest or flatter the complex source material. It seemed Ang Lee had sidestepped the unfilmable challenges of the narrative and decided to distract audiences with a smorgasbord of kaleidoscopic colors, effects and action.

Well, as it turns out, LIFE OF PI  has all that and much more. In fact, I'd say this is Ang Lee's TREE OF LIFE.  Something deeply meaningful he's been building towards his whole career. With a bit of Ang Lee's GRIZZLY MAN  and Ang Lee's CLOUD ATLAS  to boot. Still with me?

What he's done here is taken the novel's main ideas, nature, nurture and the search for God and delivered it with intensely personal panache and breathtaking visual sequences. As with those other projects, one feels the auteur's hand here as clearly as you feel it with Malick, Herzog or the Wachowskis and it is both very honest and very demanding. As with those films, some may be rubbed the wrong way here. LIFE OF PI  will not be embraced by everyone. It may not be a journey all will be compelled to take again. But I urge you to take it once on the biggest, brightest screen possible.

LIFE OF PI  is stunning. I don't use the term lightly either. There are things done here visually that left me gasping and my jaw wide open. More so than CLOUD ATLAS  or even AVATAR.  In fact, I'd argue that Ang Lee manages to fully immerse you Planet Earth style in this extraordinary world in a way James Cameron promised but failed to deliver satisfactorily with his mega-blockbuster. To see such a methodical, visual director firing on all cylinder's is an absolute joy and it would be impossible to recall more than a fraction of the exquisite, intricate details here.

Things will stick out for everyone though. For me, I have never seen the sea represented quite so magnificently as it is here. We go from terrifying, storm churning tsunami's to queasy waves, to a sun drenched, still-water paradise to astonishing, luminous, night-time underwater vistas. And much more. Throw in sharks, flying fish, a whale, zebra, hyena, meerkat and countless other creatures of all shapes and sizes, elegantly realized, and you'll wonder where Cameron can possibly go next with AVATAR 2.  The ball is definitely in his court. That goes for the 3D as well. If you're a champion of the format, this is right up there. If not, you owe it to yourself to see what a brilliant craftsman is able to do with the canvas. I still found the picture too dim and look forward to experiencing the bright colors in 2D. But you can't argue with craft.

To my relief, Lee was able to inject the imagery with the deep symbolism they need to really sing. The opening act of PI  shows a young Pi (the excellent Suraj Sharma) getting involved with multiple religions and butting heads with his family. Questions are raised and statements made that address some pretty big philosophical topics and it is here that the audience will either perk up or shut down. If they do let themselves be engaged however, viewers will find the spectacular journey that follows to be far more meaningful and the head spinning coda, far more satisfying. Or as so many did with TREE OF LIFE,  they might find the ambiguous, explicit symbols a bafflement and the earnest delivery a bore.

In GRIZZLY MAN,  Timothy Treadwell looked at wild bears and found love and meaning, while Herzog mused that all he saw was "the chaotic indifference of nature.” In LIFE OF PI,  Ang Lee gives us a ferocious Bengal tiger and two possible outcomes. In it's eyes we either see the friendly, soulful proof of God's existence, or merely a confused reflection of ourselves.

There were times during LIFE OF PI  that I found myself drifting out of the film and marveling at the spectacle from a distance. Lee performs an amazing balancing act with all the elements at his disposal but at times the philosophy felt a little unbalanced and the ending didn’t completely stick the landing. It's more about the journey than the destination here but it’s almost all captivating. The framing story contains what were in my opinion the films strongest and weakest performances (by Irrfan Khan and Rafe Spall respectively) and sometimes feels a bit dry. Their last scene together is their best though. The relationship between Pi and the tiger is something better experienced than described here. It is the centerpiece of the film and a massive accomplishment on both a technical and emotional level.

LIFE OF PI  is not a film I will watch many times over. Not because it is a failure, but like a few other survival stories, the viewing itself can feel like a bit of an endurance. In the novel, staying on a lifeboat for such a huge chunk of the story made for compelling reading but in the film, you do feel Ang Lee pulling somersaults to compensate for the one location. Beautiful somersaults.

I don't think this will have a chance at the Academy Awards, with an entirely international cast and scenes of animal on animal violence (which will definitely turn off some viewers). Some will hail it a masterpiece, others will raise eyebrows and scoff at the philosophy while admiring the visuals and astonishing animal realizations. I'll admit, the rich visuals will stay with me longer than the thoughtful story, which is saying a lot.

LIFE OF PI  is a film you will want to own because you want to show it to others. You will screen it for the more open minded, opinionated of your friends to see what they think it all means, knowing that at the very least they will applaud you on your visual taste. Or you’ll show them TREE OF LIFE.

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 04:56:16 pm »
I'm happy about the movie coming out, but I'm a little miffed that there's already a book called The Making of the Life of Pi. Where is the equivalent book about Brokeback Mountain after seven crying out loud years?  :P
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
I hope that it will be shown without the 3D thing. I'm practically blind on my right eye  ;) so 3D doesn't work that good for me even though it is better now than when it first was used. Looking forward to the movie though  ::) :) ;)
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »
http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/life-of-pi-ang-lee-interview.html

Director Ang Lee
on Life of Pi,
Petting Tigers, and
His Hulk  Regret

By Jennifer Vineyard
Today at 12:30 PM

For those who haven't read the book, Life of Pi  is about a boy named Pi who is shipwrecked in the Pacific, his only company for a long time a companion called Richard Parker — a Bengal tiger who was being transported with other zoo animals and shares Pi's lifeboat. At least, that's the better version of two possible stories about Pi's survival, which hits the big screen in a wondrous 3-D rendering courtesy of director Ang Lee, who is already garnering Oscar buzz for the film. Lee chatted with Vulture about surviving at sea, petting tigers, and where he thinks he went wrong with The Hulk.

Yann Martel thanked you for being "crazy" enough to take on his book. Do you think you were crazy?
No, I was just possessed. [Laughs. ] The book is inspiring, fascinating, and mind-boggling, and I read it when it first came out and talked about it with my wife and my sons. But when I was first approached to direct it, it seemed like a crazy idea — and the book seduced me into it, because it was a puzzle to crack. It's an intellectual book, and you have to make it emotional and visual, and without Tom Hanks to help you! [Laughs. ]

There are the old adages of never work with children or animals, never shoot on water ...
I did all three! [Laughs. ]  

Plus you worked with a child — a teenager in this case — who couldn't swim at first. When did you discover that?
After I casted Suraj Sharma. He said, "Oh, yeah. I probably won't drown." [Laughs. ] So I tested him to see how long he could hold his breath, and it was only for fifteen seconds — and we had shots planned that would require him to do that for a minute long! So he had to learn. But everything else, you look at him and you see he is Pi. I remember, when we were testing him, I asked him to tell the second version of Pi's story, and to make it real, and about halfway through, he started to tremble and cry. It was heartbreaking.    

How deep was the tank? Was Suraj ever in danger of drowning?
About eighteen feet? Four, five meters deep. The wave tank could create long surges like the open ocean, so his raft could act and interact with water before it was digitally extended to the horizon. But he wasn't going to drown. [Chuckles. ]

You consulted with real life shipwreck survivor Steven Callahan. Apparently you asked him to leave you out at sea so you would know what it felt like?
I asked him a couple of times, but he wouldn't. The first time I visited him, David Magee, the screenwriter, and I went out to Maine to go on the ocean with him, and I asked him to take the sail down so we could go up and down for a while. And then we consulted with him a few more times in Taiwan, and at the time, he was fighting cancer, but he still went. And this time, we sailed out to see the north tip. We went out on a motorboat, just to go up and down on the big ocean for quite a while. I sat at the water level on a step. But we weren't allowed to be left out there on our own, with no sail, because the waves were too big and it turned out to be too crazy of an idea. The marine guys wouldn't let us, so we took the speedboat.

Were there ever any Crouching Tiger  jokes on set because you were now finally working with actual tigers?
[Laughs. ] Yes, and even just last night we were talking about that! I guess the tiger means something to Pi, because it's his inner self. I see the tiger now as not just his opponent, but also the serious beast side of himself. And the tiger is quite fascinating, because you see yourself in his eyes. You somehow relate to the animal, or it's an emotional projection. It's like in the movie — Pi can't prove it, but he sees something.

Suraj said he wishes he got to pet a tiger. That's his one regret.
Which one did he want to pet?

Jonas.
Ah, yes. He's more pettable. Our main tiger was King, who does all the posing and all the swimming, and then some of the scenes when he's hungry. And when King was sick, we had Jonas. The other two tigers were female — Themis and Minh — and they did the more ferocious scenes, because they're actually more aggressive than King. But we kept Suraj away from the tigers. There was no tiger on the boat! We did a digital tiger for the shots next to him.

How did doing The Hulk  prepare you for this? And what did you think of Mark Ruffalo's Hulk in The Avengers ?
I learned quite a bit about CG from The Hulk,  and I wouldn't have been able to do Life of Pi  without that. But it's easier to create an animal, because there exists a good reference — so a tiger or a hyena is easier than a 2,000-pound rage monster. The hardest thing to do is the weight, not the skin, because there's no reference for something that size that is agile. And the technology's improved, so you can have more details with Mark's Hulk. My problem is that I took the whole thing too seriously. I should have had more fun with it, instead of all the psychodrama! [Laughs. ]

What did you think of your son Mason's turn as Teddy in The Hangover Part II ? Do you give him any advice about films to do next?
He's a Method actor. [Laughs. ] I just told him, "Relax! It's a broad comedy. Just enjoy it." Because that's something we have in common — taking things too seriously. He's trying to make it on his own, and he doesn't want any of my influence, so he's suffering like the rest of them.

"Camping Out"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 11:03:21 am »
(quoted) The trailers left me a little uninterested. Visually stunning of course, but the overwhelming, uplifting score and title cards declaring WHEN ALL YOU'VE EVER KNOWN IS LOST and FIND YOUR COURAGE didn't exactly peak my interest or flatter the complex source material. It seemed Ang Lee had sidestepped the unfilmable challenges of the narrative and decided to distract audiences with a smorgasbord of kaleidoscopic colors, effects and action.

I've only seen one film in the current improved 3-D so far, and am looking forward to this being the second.  The ads for the movie had rather turned me off -- they considerably sentimentalized the relationship between the title character and the tiger (maybe believable if the animal was a wolf; hardly in this particular story).  But I did a 180 after watching Ang Lee's interview with Charlie Rose and seeing a clip.

The show business adage about directing children and animals is true.  In stage productions, the same is true of a gun on stage: the audience is so preoccupied with waiting for it to go off they tend to miss a lot in the meantime.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 11:59:12 am »

After You've seen Life of Pi,  come back and listen to our [Audio] Spoiler Special with
Dan Engber and Dana Stevens, by clicking:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2012/11/life_of_pi_directed_by_ang_lee_reviewed.html

Life of Pi
See it stoned.
By Dana Stevens
Posted Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012, at 11:24 AM ET

Suraj Sharma in Life of Pi

Life of PiAng Lee’s adaptation of the best-selling 2001 novel by Yann Martel, might be a good movie to see stoned—or maybe it’s just one that makes you feel as though you already are stoned, floating along on a sea of hyper-crisp 3-D images and evanescent spiritual insights. I suppose it’s suitable that Life of Pi  would be a movie that sets its viewers mentally adrift in this way, since it’s about someone who’s literally adrift: A young Indian man named Pi who survives a shipwreck, only to find himself stranded in a lifeboat with a hungry Bengal tiger.

Why was a tiger crossing the ocean the first place? Well, Pi’s father (Adil Hussain), the owner of a zoo in Pondicherry, has decided to emigrate with his animals, wife, and two young sons to start a new life in Canada. After a stiff frame-story setup in which a French-Canadian writer (Rafe Spall) sits down for an interview with the middle-aged Pi (Irrfan Khan), there’s an extended whimsical flashback to Pi’s childhood in India. As a dreamy grammar-school misfit (played by Ayush Tandon), he annoys his modern-minded atheist dad by incorporating Christian and Muslim prayer into his daily rituals. But later, in his teen years (as played by Suraj Sharma), Pi’s spiritual bent will serve him well. If you’re going to spend months alone in a lifeboat with a giant carnivorous jungle cat, you’d better know how to pray in several languages.

The long middle section—the movie’s strongest stretch— plays like a hallucinogenic mashup of Hitchcock’s Lifeboat,  the reality show I Shouldn’t Be Alive,  and a soothing promotional video that might play on a loop in the waiting room of a very fancy Ayurvedic spa. Many scenes involving the logistics of Pi’s struggle for survival on the raft aim for conventional verisimilitude and suspense—and achieve a surprising degree of both, given that the tiger is a CGI creation and the protagonist’s survival is already assured. But now and again Lee will veer off on lush imagistic tangents, his camera plunging to explore luminescent jellies beneath the ocean’s surface or rising into the heavens to look down on boy and tiger from a chilly stars’-eye-view.

There’s something admirable about Lee’s commitment to lavishing sheer visual beauty on the viewer. Like his God-besotted hero, the director seems passionately in love with the natural world, even as he renders it with a high degree of technical artifice. The tiger is an extraordinarily convincing (and refreshingly unanthropomorphized) digital creation, the ocean water resembles thick molten glass, and the sky, often shown in unnatural shades of peach, gold, and celadon, has a palpable depth, as if the movie were being projected inside a transparent cube. Lee doesn’t do anything especially new with 3-D, and he’s not above having characters poke or throw objects at the lens in the medium’s oldest “hey, looky here!” gambit. But Life of Pi’s sophisticated use of the technology recalls Avatar’s rather than, say, Clash of the Titans’. The image is remarkably bright, clear, and (to use the word James Cameron ’s publicists seem to have implanted in all our brains with a chip) “immersive”—even if what we’re being immersed in feels at times like a vat of warm caramel.

For Life of Pi ’s theology is as gauzy as its images are sharp. Everything happens for a reason in this best of all possible worlds, it seems—unless that world is a godless arena of dog-eat-dog carnage, which is also a distinct possibility. The story of the boy and the tiger in a boat wants to be both a magic-realist fable and a tense survival adventure, two modes of storytelling that undercut and sometimes undo one another. If this is all some symbolic parable about the soul’s struggle with itself, why bother to invest in the practical questions of how Pi will find fresh water or keep his food supply dry? If the tiger isn’t just a tiger but a stand-in for God or nature or the universal Other, do we still need to worry about him chomping off Pi’s arm?

In the disappointingly tiger-free last 20 minutes we hear Pi recount his incredible story, first to investigators at a Japanese shipping company shortly after his rescue and later, as an adult, to that wide-eyed French-Canadian novelist we had completely forgotten was sitting in Pi’s living room. The movie’s energy peters out in a series of book-club conversations about divine will, the power of storytelling, and the resilience of the human spirit. The ending’s pious dullness is enough to make you wish you were back on that lifeboat, where the most pressing questions weren’t spiritual but gastronomic: What’s on the menu for lunch, and what can I do to make sure it isn’t me?

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 01:49:21 pm »
I saw this last night with Lynne and her cousin Chris.  It's showing in both 2-D and 3-D and we chose the latter.  I'm not really a big fan of 3-D and I'm not sure it added that much, except near-seasickness.  

Very true to the novel, which I had read this past summer.  Of course, it's visually stunning, but also emotionally compelling, even exhausting.  I jumped out of my seat more than once.  There are some brutal details in the novel, and the film, rated PG, doesn't dwell on these, thankfully.  Still, there are some very intense moments.  I noticed a few people walked out of the theatre.

The performances of the three Pis are nothing short of wondrous.  I still can't believe that the tiger--named Richard Parker--wasn't real.  

Lynne remarked on Ang's love of ambiguity, and it's no different in this film.  The ending is just like in the book (don't let anyone spoil it for you), and includes a scene filmed in a stark white background.  Sound familiar?  

This film stays with you.  I even greeted the cat with "Hello, Richard Parker" this morning.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »
Thanks for the review, Paul.  I hope to see it in the next few weeks.  I happened upon a livestream Q & A with Ang from France the other day on youtube.  He's out and about doing promotion now.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...