Author Topic: It's Official! ABC Cancels "All My Children" And "One Life To Live"  (Read 11471 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male

'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Canceled by ABC

ABC has pulled the plug on its long-running soaps 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'

According to the network, the final episode of 'All My Children' will air this September. 'One Life to Live' will air through January 2012. The network will replace the soaps with two new shows, 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'

"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture's history," Brian Frons, president of daytime at Disney ABC/Television Group, said in a statement. "Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history."

TV Squad first reported the 'All My Children' cancellation rumors in March. The show has been the home to Susan Lucci and her classic character Erica Kane for more than 30 years.

'General Hospital' will not be affected by ABC's daytime changes.

"We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days," Fons said. "While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is."

Since its debut 41 years ago, 'All My Children' has been a launching ground for many stars, including Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amanda Seyfried. Recent Oscar-winner Melissa Leo also had a brief stint on the soap. 'AMC' has also been home to Susan Lucci as Erica Kane, one of the most familiar faces in TV. Lucci is the only original cast member still on the series.

Viewers will also remember Kelly Ripa as Hayley long before she became the co-host of 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.'

'One Life to Live' debuted as a half-hour show in 1968 before transforming into a full-fledged hour-long soap ten years later. The show broadcast its 10,000th episode in 2007. 'One Life to Live' has its own noted alumni too. Tommy Lee Jones, Dixie Carter, Judith Light, Marcia Cross and Ryan Phillippe all appeared on the soap.

Both shows were created by Agnes Nixon and take place in fictional towns modeled after Philadelphia suburbs.

"More than 40 years ago, Agnes Nixon created both the worlds of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' worlds that the rest of us have been privileged to live in," Frons said. "Her shows led the way forward, breaking a lot of rules along the way to defy expectations about what soaps can do and the issues they can cover. I am honored to have worked with her."

As for the new shows, Fons said, "[Audiences] are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways. A perfect example of this is 'The View,' and that factored into our decision. 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' are in the same vein and will be great additions to the lineup, with 'The View' serving as an ideal foundation from which to launch these programs. They will also provide enormous opportunity for the creation of ancillary businesses and growth."

http://www.popeater.com/2011/04/14/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-canceled/

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: It's Official! ABC Cancels "All My Children" And "One Life To Live"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »
Wow, I watched OLTL when I was a teenager?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
Wow, I watched OLTL when I was a teenager?

Yep!  I watched AMC from the first day it aired, and watched OLTL almost as long. As people are observing, the day of the American soap opera is past!  I haven't watched either soap in quite awhile, as I'm at work.  But when I'm home I try to make time to watch them.  My all time favorite soaps were The Edge of Night and Dark Shadows.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:30:28 pm »
My all time favorite soaps were The Edge of Night and Dark Shadows.

I was a huge Dark Shadows fan! Have we already talked about the fact that Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are making a movie? Though I have my doubts about it.

Anyway, I watched AMC from high school through college, then now and then over the years, including a bit when I was on maternity leave. It's not the same show now, except for Susan Lucci. Still, kind of drastic to end it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:23:16 am »
I was a huge Dark Shadows fan! Have we already talked about the fact that Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are making a movie? Though I have my doubts about it.

Anyway, I watched AMC from high school through college, then now and then over the years, including a bit when I was on maternity leave. It's not the same show now, except for Susan Lucci. Still, kind of drastic to end it.

Oh I was too! So was my Mom! She'd have it turned on every day when I came home from school. I remember thinking Barnabas Collins was hawt!! :laugh:

Apparently I had a thing for vampires even as a child. I always thought Christopher Lee made a very handsome Dracula too - back in his 1950s and 1960s vampire years.

Anyway, enough of that! No I didn't hear about the Johnny Depp movie, Katherine!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:23 am »

I wouldn't doubt it, K.  Tim Burton making a Dark Shadows movie is very believable.  And it wouldn't be a Tim Burton flick if it didn't star Johnny Depp.  Remember when they brought Dark Shadows back to the small screen (twice, maybe?) in prime time.  Didn't last very long, but I thought the production was very good!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:58:48 am »
Oh I was too! So was my Mom! She'd have it turned on every day when I came home from school. I remember thinking Barnabas Collins was hawt!! :laugh:

Apparently I had a thing for vampires even as a child. I always thought Christopher Lee made a very handsome Dracula too - back in his 1950s and 1960s vampire years.

Anyway, enough of that! No I didn't hear about the Johnny Depp movie, Katherine!

David, I preferred Quentin.  Wasn't he Barnabas' cousin, or something?  Christoper Lee did make a very dapper Dracula.  I, too, have a thing for vampires.  I would have been a goth chick for sure if I was born about 30 years later!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 01:30:24 am »
David, I preferred Quentin.  Wasn't he Barnabas' cousin, or something?  Christoper Lee did make a very dapper Dracula.  I, too, have a thing for vampires.  I would have been a goth chick for sure if I was born about 30 years later!  :)

I don't remember Quentin Marie! Isn't that awful?!! He must have been cute though!

I just remember Barnabas and that cane of his with the wolf head up at the top! lol

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:19:35 am »
My all time favorite soaps were The Edge of Night and Dark Shadows.

:o OMG, my grandmother watched The Edge of Night when I was a little kid!  :o

And I'm older'n dirt. ...

Did Susan Lucci ever get her Emmy? I don't really follow this stuff, but I remember the jokes and parodies about her never getting one, but I can't at the moment recall if she ever actually did receive one.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:49:00 am »
Did Susan Lucci ever get her Emmy? I don't really follow this stuff, but I remember the jokes and parodies about her never getting one, but I can't at the moment recall if she ever actually did receive one.  ???

She did.

Wikipedia: Lucci holds the record for most nominations in one category, having been nominated a total of 21 times (1978, 1981–1993, 1995–1999, 2001–2002) in the category of Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for All My Children. Lucci won the award at the 26th Daytime Emmy Awards in 1999.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 11:25:15 am »
She did.

Wikipedia: Lucci holds the record for most nominations in one category, having been nominated a total of 21 times (1978, 1981–1993, 1995–1999, 2001–2002) in the category of Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for All My Children. Lucci won the award at the 26th Daytime Emmy Awards in 1999.

Thanks!

Holy cow! That long ago already?  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 11:37:17 am »
She did.

I watched, and remember Rosie O'Donnell breaking down in tears, and Lucci received quite an impressive standing ovation.  She gave a great speech, too!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »
There was a time that I watched All My Children on a regular basis.

I was in college, and we didn't have a VCR.  My mom watched the show, and had to go out.  I was home and she asked me to take notes for her.  LOL

I had a pad and pencil, and took notes.

This episode had a woman on who was going by the name "Noelle", but if I remember correctly, she was suffering from amnesia and couldn't remember anything.  It was later revealed that she was actually Silver Kane, Erica's sister.

I was hooked at that point, and Silver became my favorite character for some reason.  I watched her fall in love with Jeremy, and then when Jeremy fell out of love with her, she lost it and faked a rape attempt to win him back.  It didn't work, as he was falling for Natalie.  Silver finally went over the edge and went to Natalie's house with a gun.  The two women struggled, and the gun went off, killing Silver.  Palmer dumped the body for Natalie, but at that point, Natalie's guilty conscious made her think that Silver's ghost was haunting her, so Silver was still around.

LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »
Chuck, everything about your post was charming, but this was my favorite part:

My mom watched the show, and had to go out.  I was home and she asked me to take notes for her.  LOL

I had a pad and pencil, and took notes.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 12:16:08 am »

I don't remember Quentin Marie! Isn't that awful?!! He must have been cute though!

I just remember Barnabas and that cane of his with the wolf head up at the top! lol

the redoutable Quentin Collins - in 'the present' he haunted Collins House for a long time before he ever appeared 'for real' when they went back to the past:

he was the most handsome, except of course for young David Collins:

Here's the Dark Shadows Wiki!!

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Quentin_Collins_%281840%29
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
My condolences to Brokies who may be fans of All My Children. There was a segment about the end of the show on the NBC Nightly News this evening. According to the NBC story, today was the show's last day.

What really suprised me--though perhaps I should have remembered it--was when Brian Willams said that when the show debuted in 1970, it was in black and white. I didn't remember that they still made TV shows in living black and white as late as 1970.  :(

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 09:00:32 pm »

Teresa & SmellyKellyJay (Kel) ^^^

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

Wow! All My Brokies! Great photo.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:54 pm »
Is this picture still up somewhere on MSNBC?  If so can it be linked to?  I went to their site and saw a story on the subject just now but the picture wasn't there.

Is it in some slide show I can't locate?

I'm going to email Teresa.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 11:32:43 pm »
'All My Children' ends its 41-year run with cliffhangers that feed a potential Internet afterlife

Today.com’s Randee Dawn reports:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/23/7926023-all-my-children-ends-its-

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 02:20:05 am »
Great to see Kelly and Theresa!

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 05:53:57 am »
Wow!  Thanks to y'all for informing Teresa and me of this, particularly to Andrew, John, and Diane.  I don't think we would have known about it otherwise.  We *thought* we were avoiding the cameras.  The shot of the two of us was taken right at the end of the episode, so I guess we were too caught up in the show to notice what was going on around us.  

Going to the viewing was a rather late development.  I'd heard about it, asked Teresa if she was interested, and we decided to go for kicks.  I went for old time's sake.  Haven't really watched "All My Children" in years, but it was a favorite of mine when I was a kid and when I was a young adult working the late shift.  

From what I've seen, it hasn't been as good as it once was in a long time, but I'm still sorry to see it go.  It has always been there for as long as I can remember.  

I've been overdue in coming back to Bettermost to visit.  Looks like there's a number of messages that I've "ignored."  It'll take me a little time to respond, but I'll get around to it soon.  

Thanks again, kids!  
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

How cool!! It's a small, small world.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »
What a great picture of both Teresa and Kelly!  Yeehaw!  Great to see you back, Kelly.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 12:37:04 pm »
Whoo-hoo! And way cool 8)
It's a great picture of you, Kelly and Teresa.
Also great to see you here, Kelly. :)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 07:07:43 pm »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »
It's a great picture of you, Kelly and Teresa.

It is! You guys look better than Erica Kane hovering ominously in the background.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:21 pm »
That is wonderful! (Teresa, finish you salad!  :P)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

:) :) :)

So Cool!!! Have never seen the television series myself. But by looking at your lovely faces. I can tell its very funny.