Author Topic: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - And What Came After  (Read 316456 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: The Royal Wedding of William and Kate - Will You Be Watching?
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 07:51:01 pm »
I don't like the dress either but then I wasn't even born when they had their wedding so I guess fashion tastes have changed! I don't like most of the old 80's and 90's wedding dresses!!

Well what a wallop that was.....talk about feeling ancient... ::)

I remember (back in those olden days) when she got out of the car, that I was disappointed with the dress, mainly because it looked all crumpled and far too big for that little girl wearing it. Diana was way too old fashioned in her dress style in the beginning, or maybe she dressed to suit the regal position more so than what she really wanted. She really showed them when she matured a bit, and made her own mark on society and the royal family.

As far as all the bed hopping that goes on in the royal family, IMO I know they are only human, I guess it just peeves me how they show no humility about it, that it is all ok and they have nothing to be guilty about because they are ROYALS. Even the husband of the mistress still bows to the future king, and the kids stand there having photos taken with the adulterers. Something just doesnt seem right about all that. Its all seems so very medieval.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »

I probably will watch it, even though it is on very early in our time zone.  I
watched the wedding of his parents, and remember how beautiful she was, but
I must be the only person in the world that thought that the dress was awful.
It was too too much for her.  It was all wrinkled when she got out of the
car, and it was wearing her.  She wasn't wearing it.  My god it had twenty lbs of
damned ruffles on the neck.  I hated it.  I will probably get lots of boos for this,
but I can take it.  I think Kate being older will make better choices.  Diana was
so young she was herded by her husbands grandmother I think..seems I read
that somewhere....sorry, JMO

Worst dress EVER, the WORST. She looked as though she was a child being dragged through a giant laundry basket. The Emanuels? Yuck!

MUCH later, after Diana had the two children, and got a bit older herself--then she became the real  fashion icon.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

Thanks Brian!!!

It really doesn't get any cuter than that, does it? 8) 8)

Than that lamb? Of course not.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »
Naw, I agree.  The dress was way too much.  But think of the venue.  She had to have something sufficiently ... big, shall we say? ... in order not to be upstaged by the decor.  In a cathedral, you need a cathedral train, IMO. 

With that train she did rather look like a full-rigged ship sailing down the aisle of St. Paul's.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »
With that train she did rather look like a full-rigged ship sailing down the aisle of St. Paul's.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

See?  She was ample competition for the cathedral.

But I can't imagine anything else.

I was thinking since Kate is so modern, she would wear something like Carolyn Bessette did in her marriage to JFK, Jr but then the surroundings, pomp and circumstance would completely overwhelm her.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »
My daughter's wedding dress had to be custom made because she is a modest young lady and couldn't find any dresses that weren't strapless or sleeveless. Her dress was long sleeved silk and we also had to modify the pattern so the neckline wouldn't be so deeply plunging.

I'm sure the dress was very pretty. I hope to see a picture of it some day.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know what idiot designer came up with the notion of a strapless and sleeveless wedding gown. Especially in virginal white?  ::)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:04 pm »
I'm sure the dress was very pretty. I hope to see a picture of it some day.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know what idiot designer came up with the notion of a strapless and sleeveless wedding gown. Especially in virginal white?  ::)

Time has marched on, Jeff.  White means your first wedding...not that you're a virgin.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:54 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

See?  She was ample competition for the cathedral.

;D

But I can't imagine anything else.

I might joke about Diana's gown, but I did think it was quaintly old-fashioned and I rather liked it. The sleeves were too voluminous, though.

I was thinking since Kate is so modern, she would wear something like Carolyn Bessette did in her marriage to JFK, Jr and then the surroundings, pomp and circumstance would completely overwhelm her.

It's a daytime Church of England wedding, so I think it's a pretty good bet that Kate's shoulders will be covered for the ceremony. Not only is she marrying an heir to the throne, she's also marrying a presumed future Supreme Governor of the Church of England, so she can't look too "tarty."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »
Time has marched on, Jeff.  White means your first wedding...not that you're a virgin.  ;D

I didn't say it meant the bride was a virgin.

Good luck finding one of those, these days.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »
That picture published here of Diana in her wedding dress seems to have been bleached.

Her wedding gown was no where near that white, in fact it was not white at all, it was an IVORY colour.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection