Author Topic: And what about the choice of our user name ?  (Read 32234 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
And what about the choice of our user name ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:55:50 pm »
Since we are telling each other everything about ourselves, even showing pics of our PETS to each other, I thought it wouldn't be TOO daring to ask what influenced your choice for a user name.
My real name is Isabelle, but you may remember 'milena-covic' from IMDb? That was my user name there. I took it because it didn't let on I was French (I then realized it was sometimes a good idea on the BBM board!), but still looked foreign. Milena was the name of the wife of F. Kafka, an author I love, and Covic is the last name of a Croatian writer who wrote a harrowing (and frightening) book about the 1992 former Yugoslavia war. And I have always hated the army. (Not saying I hate the persons who are/have been in it). (Err... I am not usually THIS serious...)

What about you all?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:23:13 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

EnnisDelMar

Re: And what about the choice of our user name ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:57:47 pm »
Me and Ennis, were pals. Lol actually I'm a lot like Ennis so that's why my name is what it is.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:11:47 pm »
Sparkle Motion - name of the dance team on Donnie Darko.

Brandon, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR. Everytime I see it, it makes my stomach flip.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »
well my passion and avocation has been cooking since I was about 6 years old so hence my name - although I do not cook professionally at the moment, it is always a possibility and I still keep up on the latest food trends.................... :)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:15:03 pm »
Mine's not so hard.  My name is Diane and my last name starts with a D, so my niece started calling me deedee some years ago...So as you can see, I have NO imagination.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 01:29:39 pm »
...So as you can see, I have NO imagination.

Not true at all! You never know what it might mean to people. I thought for a minute you might be called 'Dédé', as this is how a French person would pronounce Deedee. And Dédé is short for André. But you're a girl... Imagine, MY initials are ID, exactly what I do not like giving!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:52:34 pm »
yaadpyar:  - mine is from two Hindi words - yaad & pyar.  Yaad is love, and pyar is memory or remembrances.  They are not used as one word, but I've combined them for my user name.  It basically means that pure spiritual love is available through remembrance of G*d.  I practice meditation, and this is a basic principle of that practice.

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:56:50 pm »
That's really cool, Celeste.
I've always pronounced your name Yard Par. I know that is not correct though. It's just easiest. Why did you put an asterisks?
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 02:06:24 pm »
Ruby-my nickname=RouxB-the name of my red car. My name is Sherrill (and I am some kind of an aholic)

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 02:09:57 pm »
That's really cool, Celeste.
I've always pronounced your name Yard Par. I know that is not correct though. It's just easiest. Why did you put an asterisks?

Well - thanks.  It's pronounced: yad pee-ar.  I feel funny typing "God", especially since that word elicits such strong repsonses, positive and negative, from so many folks.  Plus - there's an idea in some religions that the name "God" is sacred and so shouldn't be written as such.  

Also - in the same way vowels are left out of swear words to minimize their impact, I guess I put in an asterisk to do the same...sort of.  Don't know why exactly - just always felt right...

You know I love your name.  I totally don't doubt your commitment anymore!!!!!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 02:11:23 pm »

Ruby-my nickname=RouxB-the name of my red car. My name is Sherrill (and I am some kind of an aholic)

I miss the little afro emoticon you used at CT - is that what your hair actually looks like?

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 02:16:44 pm »
Hmmmm....how to explain my name.......lol.  My name is Nicole.  Done and done. :D

And Stacey, I LOVE your avatar/signature combo.  It makes me laugh everytime I see it, and I find myself saying constantly now b/c I see it all the time in your posts, lol.

Celeste - I just now realized that your avatar is not only the CT group hug icon, but they're wearing cowboy hats!  How on earth did you do that?  LOL - very cute.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 02:20:43 pm »

Celeste - I just now realized that your avatar is not only the CT group hug icon, but they're wearing cowboy hats!  How on earth did you do that?  LOL - very cute.

Our dear friend Ray created the little cowboy-hat wearing group hug, and I stole it as my own for how.  Here it is if you want it too:

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 02:31:21 pm »
Wow!  Good job Ray!

"Oh, and next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day... so, you know, if you want to you can go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans."

This is in my top five of all time - I could probably quote almost the entire movie.  My favourite line(s):

"There was]/i] nothing wrong with it.  Until that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammy's."

"Well, why don't you just go by "Mike"?"

"No way.  Why should I change?  He's the one who sucks."
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:33:04 pm »
I LOVE IT! I was thinking about this movie just a few minutes ago because I was listening to the radio and a commercial came on and it said:
Forgot the coverletter to your TPS report? Stay calm with Lite 103.7.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 02:44:45 pm »
Wow, I was just going to start a thread about this when I got done catching up on all the stuff I missed (darn classes...). Mine is pretty unoriginal. When I was setting up my email account like six years ago I tried to do cmr (my initials) with numbers that actually had some meaning (birthday, etc.) but they were all taken. Everytime I tried one hotmail would say "well that one is taken, but why don't you try this?" and have several suggestions that were close. I finally got impatient and chose 107, which was one of the suggestions, because 107.7 was my favorite radio station at the time...yeah, I was in like 7th grade, leave me alone.

I only registered on IMDb last summer when I was bored and wanted to read a couple posts, I had no idea I would be posting myself ever. So I just used cmr107 so I could remember it, then when we moved here I felt like no one would know who I am if I changed it.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 02:46:58 pm »
Yaadpar

Yaad Pyar

I have fine (small-not Whoopie-ish) dred locks a bit past shoulder length. Reddish-brown (there's that roux again!)

I miss my emoticon too-sad face.

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 03:01:47 pm »

This is in my top five of all time - I could probably quote almost the entire movie.  My favourite line(s):

"There was]/i] nothing wrong with it.  Until that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammy's."

"Well, why don't you just go by "Mike"?"

"No way.  Why should I change?  He's the one who sucks."

I'm so gratified to see other Office Space fans.  I love every moment of that movie.  Now that would be fun to watch together.  No deep sorrow or tears or sighs...just a lot of laughing and saying the lines along with the movie.

Peter Gibbons: You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Porter: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 03:04:48 pm »
Haha.
When I'm having a particularly trying day at work, I'll say "If one more thing happens, I'm gonna start guttin' fish at my desk!"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 03:09:52 pm »
I love Office Space, but I've only seen it once a long time ago so I can't quote lines with you guys... :'( I recognize the ones you're saying, but can't come up with any on my own.

I really need to see Donnie Darko. LOL, I'd never even heard of it till I started coming to the BBM board.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »

I really need to see Donnie Darko. LOL, I'd never even heard of it till I started coming to the BBM board.

Thanks for this confession, cmr, makes me feel less alone in this case.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 03:39:00 pm »

I love Office Space, but I've only seen it once a long time ago so I can't quote lines with you guys... :'( I recognize the ones you're saying, but can't come up with any on my own.

Court - let's set a date - I've got Office Space on DVD.  Hope on a train or get in your car, and come here this weekend, and we'll enjoy the sadly true reality of Office Space.  I'll invite Andrew too - c'mon.  You know you want to.  

Anyone else?  I don't know if I want to watch the BBM DVD with anyone.  I prefer silence and solitude when I'm with My Boys, but Office Space is better with a bigger audience.

:angel:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:54:18 pm »
Mine is Front-Ranger because I live on the Front Range of Colorado and love it here. I hope u realise the Rockies are the same range as in Wyoming AND Alberta.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:05 pm »
DavidinHartford?    because "EnnisinRiverton" was taken already!   LOL.

But seriously,   back in my old AOL days I used to have clever screen names.  But as my hobbies or interests changed, so would my screen name.   Eventually it just became a nuisance.   I eventually just started using my real name and city.  Now my friends have no trouble identifying my emails!! 

You'd still be amazed at how many ask me where I live!    LOL   :P

It is only recently that I saw you were in the US; I always thought you were in the UK, somewhat of a neighbour to me!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 03:59:04 pm »
Mine is Front-Ranger because I live on the Front Range of Colorado and love it here. I hope u realise the Rockies are the same range as in Wyoming AND Alberta.

Wow! No, I didn't realize that, I'm none too strong on American geography! That is cool.
I thought it had something to do with Annie Proulx's collection of short stories: 'Close Range'.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Überlibran

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 04:42:02 pm »
I picked my name because I happen to be a Libra, and I'm probably the Libra-est Libran that ever Libra-ed. If there are two sides to a story, I'll probably be able to see a third side  :P. Although from what he's written, Ray might give me a run for my money here.

I'm so gratified to see other Office Space fans.  I love every moment of that movie. 

I loved the movie so much that I made sure to get a red stapler for my office, to show solidarity for Milton. Although I'm nowhere near the breaking point that poor Milton is. And everybody in the office knows not to mess with my stapler! ;D
One must talk, talk, talk - it is only by talking that we shall caper upon the summit; otherwise the mountains will overshadow us.

http://users.livejournal.com/_sepia

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 05:21:08 pm »
Wow, go the libras, I am one too but I am not that library(LOL it looks like the place where you get books, but you know what I mean!) ;D

My name is very simple.......Becky cause that is my real name! Ahh the simpleness! Not Rebecca, Becky! I always got called Rebecca in lower school cause one of my teachers asked my if my name was Rebecca and she asked in such a way that she confused me and I said yes. So when I was 5 I kept getting called Rebecca until I actually corrected someone.
I used to be bx_is_da_best on IMDb, which led to a few confusions which are better not discussed cause it is so hard to explain it all. But the basis was that BX is a nickname for the Bronxs in New York and then that led people to believe that I was from the bronx and etc, etc.

Any way it has been fun to learn about all of your nicknames, I feel I know you all much more now, so thanks! :-*
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2006, 05:24:49 pm »
Ray.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:44 pm »
I love you Ray, you make me laugh by posting one word! :-*
Here I am trying to explain everything about my name with a little anecdote and there you are just typing one word, and it is more effective than my whole explanation! ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 05:39:37 pm »
Ray.

A drop of golden sun...

How I chose my name - I have always loved the LMNO run in the alphabet.  I like that it's been shortened to Elle, by Y'alle.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:04:53 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »

I loved the movie so much that I made sure to get a red stapler for my office, to show solidarity for Milton. Although I'm nowhere near the breaking point that poor Milton is. And everybody in the office knows not to mess with my stapler! ;D

I have the Stapler too!  And I'm a Libra (serious Venus stuff in my chart - SERIOUS!!)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 05:43:55 pm »
Henry's my cat, that fat little loaf on the radiator.

For some reason when I go to my mom's house and see her cat (Libby, adopted the day Scooter Libby was indicted -- but also short for Elizabeth), I break out into cooking-and-eating imagery.  There's something so luscious, so juicy about her.  She's a little velvet fat bomb.  Damn, she's great.  Anyway, while Libby seems to bring out the I'm-gonna-cook-you-up-and-eat-you imagery most strongly, Henry, my darling firstborn sweetest sweetie, does too.  Hence pie.  Mmmm, pie.

Floorpie!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:49 pm »
lnicoll

Leslie Nicoll

Like, I had to think long and hard about that one. No, actually, my parents did.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 06:23:38 pm »
Henry's my cat, that fat little loaf on the radiator.

For some reason when I go to my mom's house and see her cat (Libby, adopted the day Scooter Libby was indicted -- but also short for Elizabeth), I break out into cooking-and-eating imagery.  There's something so luscious, so juicy about her.  She's a little velvet fat bomb.  Damn, she's great.  Anyway, while Libby seems to bring out the I'm-gonna-cook-you-up-and-eat-you imagery most strongly, Henry, my darling firstborn sweetest sweetie, does too.  Hence pie.  Mmmm, pie.

Floorpie!

Oh, Henrypie, I adore you.  Every single word you write is just pure laughing gold.  No, platinum.  I realize that I sound like such an ass-licking (can we say ass-licking?) dweeb, but I just love you.  Adriana hearts Sarah 4-ever.  Every time I see you've posted, I get excited, because with Henrypie, you know it's going to be good.  It's like the brand you can trust.  I want to be able to write like you.  No, wait, I think I just want to be you.  And I'm a cat-eater too, so I love your kitty stories.  Munch, munch.  A little velvet fat bomb.  Oh, the perfection!

And now I'm going to edge away, verrrry slowwwly, stare at my shoes, and blush deeply.  Writer's crush is so embarassing.

Front-Ranger, you have on the finest looking pink sweater in your photo.  I've been meaning to tell you how much I admire it.  I love sweaters, especially pink ones.

Yaadpyar is the coolest name ever.  Your post reminded me of hearing about how monks in the middle ages who were enscribing illuminated manuscripts would use a new quill whenever they wrote the name of God.  Then they would burn the quill so it would remain unsullied by using it to write anything ordinary or profane.  Neat, huh?  I always think I would have made a good monk.  Except for the whole gender issue.  And the fact that I'm an infidel.  Oh, and the shaved head.  I'd look terrible with a shaved head.  But other than that - perfect!

I'm a Libran too, but (oh, I'm becoming such a bore) - whisper it, I don't really believe in that either.  But I'll try, Ubie, just for you.  I will try.

Elle and others have heard this story before, but Chanterais comes from backpacking around France with my best friend Elizabeth a few years ago.  After getting joyously drunk on a bottle of Burgundy's finest one sunny afternoon, we got into a wonderful argument about whether the fragrant, apricot-coloured melon we were eating for lunch was a chanterais or a charentais.  I fought valiantly for chanterais.  I was wrong.  And ever since, Elizabeth has called me Chanterais, just to rub it in.  Bitch.  C'est tout.

Now I am going to stop writing silliness, and try very, very hard to get a life.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:53:31 pm by Chanterais »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 06:41:42 pm »
Oh bugger, I just lost my post.  Will go back and re-create.
Please do! I have been wondering how/why you chose 'Chanterais' (it's French for "I would sing", but I guess you know that).

[..]

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:13:00 am by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 06:58:45 pm »
Ugh, finally managed to re-write my post, but believe me it's simply a pale imitation of the first masterpiece.  Lightning only strikes once, you know.  I hate computers.

Henrypie, please forgive my humiliating leg-hump.  I promise I won't do it again in public.  Unless you want me to.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 07:41:33 pm »
cmr run do not walk to go see Donnie Darko.  Course I said that to my sister and she hated it.

Henrypie I too use a strange to be cooked descriptor to describe anything from rats to possums to bird and pets.

When talking about my cats as my back up plan in case of a famine - they're cat meat loafs.
When talking about other animals, they're always 'big fat juicy X'.  The maintenance men looked at me strangely when I described a local possum as big fat and juicy.

Don't know where I picked this up.

Uber I misread your name and thought it was 'librarian'.  A friend of mine had her masters in library science.  I too am a libran of such magnitude that sometimes I grind to a halt, unable to make a decision because I don't have sufficient information.

My ex-boyfriend gave me my handle.  He was setting up my computer and needed some name, so he plugged this one in and I liked it, de la lluvia - Spanish for 'of the rain' or 'from the rain'.  I like to think of it as representing me as the Voice of Reason in the Wilderness, the Lone Voice, the Voice at the Back of the Room.  But it could also mean I'm all wet. ;)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:51 pm »
I'm loving all these stories and hesitate to respond to any one post in particular for the sin of excluding another.  So - I love 'em all.  I think the ones that are various forms of your names are so brave - I always feel it takes a particular courage to post that on-line amongst strangers.

Even more than your names, I so enjoy your posts...all of you and all of them!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 09:48:22 pm »
Oy--it's so hard to feel like the last to arrive at all the little parties that have been going on all day in my absence! And yet I love catching up so much with you. It's a party every day at Chez Tremblay.

I agree with yaad here, there are so many things I love about everyone's names and their great explanations, it is almost too much to try and say it all, so here is just a tiny taste of my reactions.

Uber I thought you were Uberlibrarian too!!! It was only a couple days ago I saw you weren't! Made me laugh.

Yaadpyar so nice to get the story finally. I knew it would be cool. It fits you very well. I love a good fittin-screenname. (by the way is it screenname or screen name or screename? or just user name?)

Cmr107 Del is right, gotta make it your priority to see Donnie Darko my friend!!!! I am so into that movie. I bought three copies because the first copy I got (and the second) were too dark compared to my rental version, which I ended up going back to buy cause I wanted it so much to be the perfect copy.

Chanterais I am SO glad you re-wrote your post for us! Your gush over Henrypie was priceless! Any one who doesn't get the fun and flair of online message board posting should read a post like that. You can say things online that would just not fly anywhere else, but here they are pure magic.

Henrypie I love your posts too, and you make me want to have cats, which is saying something cause I'm a dog lover. I miss the fun of loving them animals to death.

And as for me, I am sure you all know by now b/c I write about this like, every other day it seems, but I chose newyearsday because after lurking for three weeks at IMDb, I began my BBM posting career at IMDb on new year's day. I also am a huge U2 fan, so it was a nice salute to them to use one of their oldies but goodies as my name. And finally I just love the continual ring of hope that those three words have. That's why I love my screenname.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:52:13 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:52 am »
latjoreme because that's what you get if you type Katherine but put your fingers in the wrong place on the keyboard and my real name is Katherine. Someone in my college major office did that very thing early in my time there, and it stayed on the record and went out on all the labels so every piece of correspondence I ever got from them was addressed to latjoreme.

I told you on the last board that my name was Lana (Jenny, I even signed a PM that way to you -- sorry!) and here's a confession: it's not. I know it sounds incredibly paranoid that I wouldn't even give my real name when it was just a first name anyway, but the imdb boards were already getting kind of scary then and as a writer I have stuff on the web that editors and others often look up and I wanted to be able to write with complete honesty and openness whatever might be in my heart -- there I things I tell you guys I wouldn't share with my therapist or best friend, let alone a would-be employer -- without having to fear that somehow that connection would be made.

I guess I was just watching the white pickup truck of google drive past. But I was probably overcautious. Anyway, it's Katherine.

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 12:41:58 am »
Oh my goodness Katherine, that had me rolling!

Or should I say latjoreme?

My screen name is/was a region in Italy, except in Italian it's Montferrato.  (Iron Mountain)
One of my interests is European History and another is Royal and Noble geneology. I was particularly fascinated with the noble house of Montferrat, several of whom  joined in the Crusades and ended up as Rulers in the Levant. One married the heiress of the crusader Kingdom Of Jerusalem and became King Of Jerusalem. I once lived in Italy for 9 months and have been back to visit, going again in July.

Er...so, that's where that came from anyways...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:47:43 am by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2006, 12:43:41 am »
A flashframe is a single white frame that crops up in otherwise perfect edits on film.  At 60 frames per second they're pretty difficult to spot, but embarrassing to find if the job is finished.  After some experience one can get really good at spotting any mistake in a sequence.  That would be me.

and 777 is a lucky number.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2006, 12:47:44 am »
Ray.

Yes darling, but would you care to tell us whether the real one is Raymond? And would your parents care to explain why they chose this name??
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2006, 12:49:34 am »
Paul I'm so glad you posted here - I've always been curious about your name.  Little did I know it came with a history lesson!  Lol...
   Cowboys do it better

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2006, 12:51:12 am »
LOL! 

Yeah.... um sorry 'bout that Nicole!

:)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006, 12:54:42 am »
I really love that picture of you Paul ;)

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2006, 12:56:37 am »
Lol, don't apologize Paul - it's so interesting learing about everyone here.  And I must say, in your current avatar, you're looking even more Jack Johnson-y than usual, lol. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 01:00:39 am »
LOLOL!!   Brandon!

i was wondering if anyone would notice Nicole!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 01:11:01 am »
Chanterais,
I'm happily toweling off after the gush.  Thanks.  You're a splendid writer yourself, if you want to talk about "brands I trust."

If I'm not mistaken your name means "would sing" (Elle help me on this)... or "will sing" -- first person singular.  Crap, I can't remember when it's conditional or not.... but it's definitely future.

It makes me think of Sarah on the birth of Isaac -- she laughed.  I can also imagine her singing -- breaking forth in noise that transcends speech.  In any case, I've been enjoying the joyful, hopeful associations I make with your name.

In latjoreme speak, my name is dstsj.  Boring!
Ennis is rmodd and Jack is ksvl and Brokeback Mountain is ntplrnsvl ,pimysom.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 01:17:41 am »
LOL, Sarah! If for some reason we ever have to go undercover, that's how we can all communicate.

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 01:34:28 am »

Court - let's set a date - I've got Office Space on DVD.  Hope on a train or get in your car, and come here this weekend, and we'll enjoy the sadly true reality of Office Space.  I'll invite Andrew too - c'mon.  You know you want to. 

Anyone else?  I don't know if I want to watch the BBM DVD with anyone.  I prefer silence and solitude when I'm with My Boys, but Office Space is better with a bigger audience.

we should have an office space/donnie darko night! 

oh, and i think my handle goes without explanation, but it's one of my favorite lines from the short story, what ennis calls jack (and his horses) and it was inexplicably left out of the movie.
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 01:46:21 am »

That's what I was thinking! Have you two seen DD?

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 03:18:35 am »
latjoreme because that's what you get if you type Katherine but put your fingers in the wrong place on the keyboard and my real name is Katherine.

Hahahahahahahahaa  Now that's priceless!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 04:07:09 am »
Ray.

Yes darling, but would you care to tell us whether the real one is Raymond?

Yes!

And would your parents care to explain why they chose this name??

I think they were drunk!  My name was supposed to be Carmel after Mum's cousin.  When I was born with an extra feature Mum had to do a rethink and plucked Raymond out of the carpet sampler chart or some such bizarre source.  I've never been fond of the name in its entirety.  It was always my in trouble name. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAYmOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!  My sister, (second sibling down the line), finally scored 'Carmel'.  AAAAAAAAAAand to make things worse, my father decided that since Mum had the say in my first name, he was entitled to choose my second..., after his favourite SISTER!  What chance did I have?  Honestly?!  So my name is Raymond Leslie, (Mum insisted on a variation of the spelling, she didn't want me growing up sissy..........HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgasp!)  In my Thesbian days I thought it would be cool to take the two parts of my name that I detested and stage-name myself Mond Leslie!  Imagine the parts I got with that moniker!

When I signed into IMBd I was totally Comp illiterate and pressed 'send' before I got a handle on what they were asking, so they defaulted me as Auschwitz ray-390, Pink triangle tattoo and all.  When i came here, I found no reason to hide my already foolish identity, so I stayed Ray!  It's easier to read than Rasputin!

So there you go! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 05:51:00 am by Ray »

vkm91941

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 05:12:50 am »
Well at least you all are interesting and creative!  Mine is my initals and my postal zip code.  I told ya boring! ::)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 05:53:20 am »
Princess, you may be a lot of things, but you will NEVER be boring!

Victoria Kipsie Mein
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:02:05 am by Ray »

vkm91941

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2006, 05:54:58 am »
Just for you Ray *mwa* :-* I wuv you too!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2006, 08:16:09 am »
Thanks for your reply Ray, had a great time and laugh reading it!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2006, 08:29:01 am »

In my Thesbian days I thought it would be cool to take the two parts of my name that I detested and stage-name myself Mond Leslie!  Imagine the parts I got with that moniker!

So there you go! 

As a Leslie who likes her name, I am a little sad to know that you detest yours!  :(
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline littledarlin

• darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2006, 10:45:45 am »

That's what I was thinking! Have you two seen DD?

yes twice.  i haven't seen the directors cut though..
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2006, 01:05:25 pm »
I am so glad so many of you are answering, THANKS! Very interesting, entertaining, ALL of you!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2006, 01:27:06 pm »
latjoreme because that's what you get if you type Katherine but put your fingers in the wrong place on the keyboard and my real name is Katherine.

Hahahahahahahahaa  Now that's priceless!

This cracked me up. I always have trouble with the damn home row.
My name is dysvru in Lat speak.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2006, 01:40:16 pm »

I am so glad so many of you are answering, THANKS! Very interesting, entertaining, ALL of you!

Is is interesting!  Thanks for getting this thread started, Isabelle (of the gloriously graceful name).

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »

Isabelle (of the gloriously graceful name).

Thank you Celeste. Do you know that my name comes from the Hebrew 'Eli Sheba', which means 'The temple of God'? I'm not sure it's quite suitable for me, but there you go.
And I did think your name was Asian somehow, Hindi doesn't surprise me. A beautiful name (2 beautiful words). This might explain why I always pictured you as very dark-haired, probably black-haired and dark-eyed, and you're not! But the name conjured up these images (and Celeste conjured up a blonde!).
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2006, 03:52:01 pm »

As a Leslie who likes her name, I am a little sad to know that you detest yours!  :(

Don't be sad.  I actually like the name on other people, and 'detested' was used for dramatic effect, but it never sat comfortably as MY name.  It's the same as caps looking funky on someone else's head but they make me look like a ball point pen.  I would never choose to wear a police uniform but so many look hot in them.... aaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhrrr...........

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2006, 04:20:58 pm »

(and Celeste conjured up a blonde!).

I'm not sure why the blonde thing, but more than one person has seemed disappointed at my non-blonde status.  I love 'Temple of God'  I might have to change my name...

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2006, 04:25:59 pm »

(and Celeste conjured up a blonde!).

I'm not sure why the blonde thing, but more than one person has seemed disappointed at my non-blonde status.  I love 'Temple of God'  I might have to change my name...

NO, I am not disappointed (I don't go for blondes!). But Celeste is so reminiscent of 'Heaven' to me, that I guess the stereotype of an Angel came to mind! :angel:
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2006, 06:59:50 pm »

NO, I am not disappointed (I don't go for blondes!). But Celeste is so reminiscent of 'Heaven' to me, that I guess the stereotype of an Angel came to mind! :angel:

I totally understand.  Here's another pic from a couple months back - my hair was a bit blonder then!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2006, 04:54:34 pm »
Yes, this is you no doubt, Celeste!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2006, 05:29:58 pm »
'Chanterais' (it's French for "I would sing", but I guess you know that).

Chanterais!, please tell everyone I already told you that like two months ago.  Please!  Tell 'em I already pointed that out!  Thanks.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2006, 06:16:24 pm »

Chanterais!, please tell everyone I already told you that like two months ago.  Please!  Tell 'em I already pointed that out!  Thanks.

*Adriana clears her voice and taps the mic.* Testing, testing, 1 2 3 testing.  Hey, is this thing on?  It is?  Okay.

Let it be known far and abroad that Ellemeno did indeed exhibit her impressive and enviable knowledge of the French language in a private message to me some months ago.  It should additionally be noted that she was the first of many such persons to display said erudition, and should be acknowledged as such.  Here ends my pronouncement.

Did I do it right Elle?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:25:04 pm by Chanterais »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2006, 08:29:39 pm »

*Adriana clears her voice and taps the mic.* Testing, testing, 1 2 3 testing.  Hey, is this thing on?  It is?  Okay.

Let it be known far and abroad that Ellemeno did indeed exhibit her impressive and enviable knowledge of the French language in a private message to me some months ago.  It should additionally be noted that she was the first of many such persons to display said erudition, and should be acknowledged as such.  Here ends my pronouncement.

Did I do it right Elle?

:D

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2006, 11:37:30 pm »
Omygod! That's so funny. My car's name is Ruby, too!  ;)
Except mine is silver. I wanted a red car but the year I bought my civic, the closest thing to red it came in was a deep burgundy, a color I hate. So naming her Ruby is my way of living my red car desire.
Do you spell your car's name RouxB?

Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2006, 11:47:09 pm »
Let's see,

I'm a Buffy fan.
I think Stitch from Lilo & Stitch and the movie itself is positively adorable.
I'm a Brokeback Mountain fan.

And there you have it.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2006, 12:05:50 am »
 I picked my name because after seeing BbM I wanted to change the way I live life. Ive been very much the recluse for years. I hadnt even considered opening myself up to another person for friendship -or more-for a long time. So my name is really the opposite of who I am. It is however the kind of person I want to become.
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2006, 12:32:20 am »
EnnisLovesJack-

Yes, my car is RouxB because, originally, it was supposed to be androgynous for Ruby. I didn't want a gendered car but she turned out to be a she after all.

Sometimes when I read the stuff that I write I wonder where I left my sanity.

O0

Heathen

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2006, 05:17:32 am »
Err, I was one of the earliest BetterMost members just now getting into CT, and with just a handful of us, "Chris" seemed sufficient.  But later we got another prominent Chris in IdahoLonly and people talking to him started calling him "Idaho Chris".  So, logically I differentiated myself with Aussie.  Sounded a bit gimmicky to me at first, but I don't mind it now, and I like AC as well!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:37 pm »
Guess I'm stuck with what I got here...

I would have loved to have come up w/ something great but I signed on to IMDb just to "read a little" about Brokeback Mountain cause I COULD NOT SLEEP after seeing it.

So, I just used my AOL name - which I chose long ago to indicate Female (people thought I was male cause I love sports) & having some Sense.  Unfortunatley, the correct spelling was taken so I had to alter it. 

NOW everyone assumes I love SILK & Incense! 

I don't.

Sad but true.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2006, 02:33:19 pm »
I had an account at IMDB already and posted mainly on message boards for German movies. For some reason I felt like creating a new account exclusively for "Brokeback Mountain" (the BBM fever, I guess). In fact, the BBM-board was the only one pipedream ever appeared on. Why not a German name? Dunno. Probably just thought that for an English speaking forum an English name would be more appropriate.
Since I tend to daydreaming very much, I wanted to call myself "Daydream" which, of course was taken already, as were all the other names I tried that contained the word "dream". Pipedream was left over. Don't even like it very much, but I guess I, too, have to stick with it now.
"Little Kraut" would, of course, have been an option or - better yet - "Unkraut". That's German for "weed". Would have been very well fitting on a troll infected message board, don't ya think?

We have a nice saying: "Unkraut vergeht nicht" ("weeds don't die away"), meaning: "it would take more than that to finish him/her off". Sure hope our friend John (jmmgallagher) is as robust as Unkraut!!!

8)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 06:14:56 pm by Pipedream »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2006, 02:52:36 pm »
I called myself julie01--because Julie is my name, and I didn't especially want people to be confused about my sex (although I sometimes get confused about it), or appear to be hiding anything.

It was also a reaction to an earler user name, "14520sjowall"--eBay told me to pick a name that would secretly mean something to me, but would be hard for others to copy or guess...YAWN..well, '1452" is the year of Richard III's birth, the "0" is gratuituous (I think another digit was wanted) and "sjowall"--you have to add an accent mark, called an umlaut in German--is the name orf a great Swedish mystery writer, who wrote a series of 10 mysteries with her husband, Per Wahloo (more accent marks needed) before he died of cancer...I think the agreement to write the series was written into their marriage vows, but I'm not sure about that...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2006, 03:06:16 pm »
Definitely interesting, all of you. And Pipedream, I like your user name! 8)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2006, 03:38:59 pm »

Thanks, Isabelle! When I saw "milena-covic" at IMDB, I really thought you came from Eastern Europe! So you like Franz Kafka? Interesting...

8)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »

Thanks, Isabelle! When I saw "milena-covic" at IMDB, I really thought you came from Eastern Europe!

Yep, that was the idea!

So you like Franz Kafka? Interesting...

Yes, one of my favourite, along with George Orwell. The (few) east European writers I know, I usually love (Milan Kundera too).

8)

" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Toast

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
I like using toast as an id on various sites,
about four years ago, my doctor checked through all my x rays, breathing tests, and blood tests, and made some mathematical calculatios.

He knew I could be calm and logical about it so he said
"At this rate, and without any great advances in medicine,
 you have 7 years left on your lungs. "
That was 4 years ago, like I said.

I felt like toast.
blackened, and useless.
and I let it sink in.
and used toast as part of my email address, and user ids.

But now I savour every day that I have the energy to go out and enjoy things.
I feel my lung getting heavy on active days, and I take a day or two to get over it.
But now I have learned another definition of toast.
"1. The act of raising a glass and drinking in honor of or to the health of a person or thing.
2. A person receiving much attention or acclaim: the toast of Broadway."

So now when I go out, I really go out where I want to, and see whom I want to.
And I hope that I leave people feeling better than before they met me.
So even though I use toast bread as my avatar, I think a beverage, a bubble, or a Broadway light would be more accurate.

Three more years will be good.
But they better not be bad years, I can take the bad days, though.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2006, 08:05:53 pm »

[/quote]

Oh, toast... I do feel better for knowing (getting to know) you.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2006, 11:19:29 pm »
But now I savour every day that I have the energy to go out and enjoy things.
I feel my lung getting heavy on active days, and I take a day or two to get over it.
But now I have learned another definition of toast.
"1. The act of raising a glass and drinking in honor of or to the health of a person or thing.
2. A person receiving much attention or acclaim: the toast of Broadway."

So even though I use toast bread as my avatar, I think a beverage, a bubble, or a Broadway light would be more accurate.

Oh, toast... I do feel better for knowing (getting to know) you.

Me too, Toast! Hope you're feeling fine for now. Your good spirits are inspiring. And I'm always glad to see your warm and welcome avatar.

K/L

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2006, 11:30:48 pm »
Toast, thank you for sharing your story. It reminds us that nothing is promised to us and life is too short to waste. Everything comes back to Brokeback Mountain doesn't it?! You take care of you and I hope that whatever time you have is the best ever.

RubyCalvina

O0

Heathen

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2006, 01:54:01 am »

toast,

I don't know what to say...  Saying "I feel so sorry for you" will not be enough, and you probably don't want to hear that anyway.

Life is not easy and is not fair.  With so many things out of our control, what we can control is how to use the time that we have.  I admire your positive attitude, and your courage.  Isn't this one of the most important things to recover from a serious illness?  We heard the stories of people beating odds all the time; you could be one of them.

I don't know where we all will be three years from now.  You know there will be someone somewhere thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Take care!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:20:48 pm by JennyC »

Offline Toast

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2006, 09:37:27 am »
oops - I dont want to be pitiful
Thanks everyone for your positive comments
and thanks just for reading my little story.
but I am ok, really
and I have accepted that we all have an end.
I have a warning about mine.

I have always enjoyed the sights, soounds and smells around me.
People have been more of a problem, a bit like Ennis.
I am working on that and having a ball most days..

but let's get back to the point of this thread
Someone else can tell their story now.

did I say that I also love crispy, buttery toast?
home made bread, and real butter (not too salty butter, please0
made in the oven at 375 (gas mark sometning or other)

ok back to someone else's story now.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2006, 10:00:06 am »
oops - I dont want to be pitiful

and real butter (not too salty butter, please0

I didn't think you meant to sound pitiful. But I have a very dear friend whom I love, adore, who has AIDS and whose life has been given another 5 years, so your story made me think of him too...

And I like butter with LOADS of salt!
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2006, 11:32:08 am »
You go toast!

A relative of mine with cancer was given 5 years to live...17 years ago.  And she has bad days and good, but is still around and kicking.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »
You are soooo far from pitiful (rolls eyes with goofly little smile on her face)

I like my toast
with not too much butter (and syrup when I was little) and jam
or just with peanut butter
oh, and on Bettermost...

O0

Heathen

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
Toast, I am so sorry to hear about that, but it is brilliant that you are still able to remain so positive. You could teach many people something with that (me included).

Mine's pretty simple: I used to call my best friend Bunny (which is also really caught on - everyone calls her that now), she used to call me Fuzzy (cos I have thick, curly hair). Then I had to make a new email address and wanted something that was central on me, rather than something which showed my obsession at the time, so I took Fuzzy and added Channy, my nickname with family and friends cos my name's Chantelle. After that, I just started using it every where so that my name would not constrict me to a single community.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2006, 03:19:59 pm »
I don't think my user name even worth a post, but I will put it here anyway.

I go by Jenny and C is the initial of my last name.  Duh, how creative  :P

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2006, 07:56:28 am »
I don't think my user name even worth a post, but I will put it here anyway.

I go by Jenny and C is the initial of my last name.  Duh, how creative  :P

Jenny, you think Isabelle is creative ??? It's my real name, and it was the most fashionable name given to girls when I was born. So the uncreativeness is real down to my parents :D
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2006, 08:52:30 am »

Can't believe I haven't read this thread before, but I don't spose its too late to jump on board...  ;D

hungry_hungryhippos : - Donnie Darko... one of my favourite lines of the film.

Cause I read that Isabelle and others hadn't seen it, quick explanation of the scene where the line is said:  Donnie's a troubled youth who has to save the world. He's in therapy for emotional problems. His shrink (the fabulously gorgeous Katharine Ross) has put him under hypnosis.  He's laying on a couch (lucky couch, I say), eyes closed and his shrink is talking to him.  Under hypnosis, he speaks with a high, almost child-like voice. Conversation goes as follows:

Donnie: they didn't get me what I wanted for Christmas..
Dr Thurman: What did you want for christmas that year, Donnie?
Donnie: Hungry Hungry Hippos!
Dr Thurmas: How did you feel, being denied these Hungry Hungry Hippos?
Donnie: Regret.

Love this movie.  Give it about 2 or 3 screenings, gals, if you watch it first time and are a bit like, WTF???
Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2006, 09:05:51 am »
Cause I read that Isabelle and others hadn't seen it, quick explanation of the scene where the line is said:  Donnie's a troubled youth who has to save the world. He's in therapy for emotional problems. His shrink (the fabulously gorgeous Katharine Ross) has put him under hypnosis.  He's laying on a couch (lucky couch, I say), eyes closed and his shrink is talking to him.  Under hypnosis, he speaks with a high, almost child-like voice.

Sheyne, it's right about then that I first fell for Jake Gyllenhaal.  From the beginning of DD until this hypnosis scene he is just one moderately good looking kid.  But just then Dr Thurman talks about girls and and Jake, ehem Donnie, undoes his pants and puts his hand...  Ok ok, the others can watch it for themselves.  But from that moment on, I was totally smitten with JG.  And each time I re-watched it, I wonder what it is about JG that I see now that I didn't see in the early stages of DD.  Anyway, prior to BBM, DD was my #1 film of all time.  Now I've got BBM, Jake also has the title of being my favourite actor and the lead in my 2 top films of all time.

Not sure if this is unhealthy or not.  It doesn't feel unhealthy, but... you know...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2006, 09:31:17 am »
I can't believe I didn't read this thread until now. Way interesting!

I just got tired of the boringness of using my name over at IMDb when everyone else was so clever. Here it was going to be "Justin Wrangler," "Justin" for the brand name of my cowboy boots, "Wrangler" for my jeans brand of choice these days. Then I thought, At least they know you as "Jeff," so better keep the "Jeff" part. Life is confusing enough!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2006, 10:14:59 pm »
I picked my name because after seeing BbM I wanted to change the way I live life. Ive been very much the recluse for years. I hadnt even considered opening myself up to another person for friendship -or more-for a long time. So my name is really the opposite of who I am. It is however the kind of person I want to become.
That's beautiful, hopefulheart. You sound like you are already on a good start on your journey. I wish you the very best, and thank you for being here and sharing some of your story.

Peace,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:57:24 pm by moremojo »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2006, 10:25:33 pm »
Cause I read that Isabelle and others hadn't seen it, quick explanation of the scene where the line is said:  Donnie's a troubled youth who has to save the world. He's in therapy for emotional problems. His shrink (the fabulously gorgeous Katharine Ross) has put him under hypnosis.  He's laying on a couch (lucky couch, I say), eyes closed and his shrink is talking to him.  Under hypnosis, he speaks with a high, almost child-like voice.

Sheyne, it's right about then that I first fell for Jake Gyllenhaal.  From the beginning of DD until this hypnosis scene he is just one moderately good looking kid.  But just then Dr Thurman talks about girls and and Jake, ehem Donnie, undoes his pants and puts his hand...  Ok ok, the others can watch it for themselves.  But from that moment on, I was totally smitten with JG.  And each time I re-watched it, I wonder what it is about JG that I see now that I didn't see in the early stages of DD.  Anyway, prior to BBM, DD was my #1 film of all time.  Now I've got BBM, Jake also has the title of being my favourite actor and the lead in my 2 top films of all time.

Not sure if this is unhealthy or not.  It doesn't feel unhealthy, but... you know...

Chris, I know what you mean about that scene.  Every time he starts sliding his hand down inside his pants I'm just like "don't clap your hands, woman!! Don't clap!! Not yet!!!"  lol..  just a liiiittle longer..  ;D

Actually when I fell for him was when he was talking to Noah Wyle's character.. If you dig this film as much as me, you'll know it well: the line is "Roberta Sparrow?...*pause*.. Come on.." and he gives this disbelieving smile.... oh god, I just lost it. The smile grabbed and hasn't let me go.  I was gone...

I can't get enough of him as Donnie OR Jack Twist, actually.  Hell I even loved him with his Bugs Bunny teeth and big Bambi eyes in City Slickers.... lol... Mind you, when I first saw CS, I wasn't actually commiting a felony in thinking he was gorgeous cause we were BOTH underage then... I'm only about 5 or so yrs older than Jake... still think he's cute tho..
Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2006, 07:26:25 am »
Actually when I fell for him was when he was talking to Noah Wyle's character.. If you dig this film as much as me, you'll know it well: the line is "Roberta Sparrow?...*pause*.. Come on.." and he gives this disbelieving smile.... oh god, I just lost it. The smile grabbed and hasn't let me go.  I was gone...

Oooh my golly yes, I dig, I dig!  Actually that Noah's not too shabby either, and I've always had fantasies about Drew (I know, I know, but I'd give it a really good try).  I love recommending DD to people, and then waiting for them to come back a few days later with a strange/pained look on their face... ;)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2006, 07:43:44 am »

Oooh my golly yes, I dig, I dig!  Actually that Noah's not too shabby either, and I've always had fantasies about Drew (I know, I know, but I'd give it a really good try).  I love recommending DD to people, and then waiting for them to come back a few days later with a strange/pained look on their face... ;)

Hahahaa!! I know EXACTLY what you mean. I actually remember when my sister took my Donnie Darko virginity... she was part-way through watching it, but as soon as I walked in from work, she stopped the video (yup, it was VIDEO back then) and started it again.  She said to me "you HAVE to watch this movie!". And I'm like, "okay, whatever".  And then she told me nothing about it.  I had no clue what it was about.  And I watched it, all the while, my jaw's starting to hang lower and lower.. we got to the end, past that beautiful rendition of Mad World and I looked her, completely dumbfounded (she's giggling mind you) and I said to her - quote :- "What the **** did I just watch?" and we both cracked up laughing, watched it again - I fell hard for Jake, have been utterly obsessed ever since, with both the movie AND His Royal KillerSmileness..

Hey, Chris, don't worry, I'd do Drew as well!!!  In a heartbeat.  I loved her hair in DD. Such is my love for her that I suffered through drawing a picture of Tim Roth, cause it had her in it too.. check it out:

Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2006, 08:37:06 am »
Hey, Chris, don't worry, I'd do Drew as well!!!  In a heartbeat.  I loved her hair in DD. Such is my love for her that I suffered through drawing a picture of Tim Roth, cause it had her in it too.. check it out:

Wow, you *are* a talentted little minx now aren't you - a bundle of surprises!  L*O*V*E the drawing, and now that we're DD buddies, you too!

I can see now what Ray's been on about!!! :-*

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2006, 05:11:54 pm »
Aww, thanks Chris.. love that you love DD and gotta love a fellow Aussie..   :-*

You must tell me more about what Ray's "been on about" sometime....lol
Chut up!

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2006, 04:42:31 am »
Kirk is my name.  Music is my reason for living.  Okay, I'm overstating things.  If I didn't have music I'd do dramatic acting or writing or politics.  As it stands I'm primarily a singer who's also a songwriter, actor, dancer, CD collector.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2006, 09:45:40 pm »
Simply an amalgamation of my two favourite words - 'saucy' and 'cobblers'. As I've been asked this before I'll explain the meanings...

Saucy - when something is 'saucy' it's slightly rude or suggestive. I love the way that Barbara Windsor says it in the 'Carry On' films... "Ooooo, you are sauuuucy!".

Cobblers - a cobbler is a shoemaker, but cobblers means 'rubbish' or 'nonsense' - as in "What a load of old cobblers" (my favourite phrase).

You may have gathered from this that I'm from England  ::)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2006, 01:52:06 am »
My explanation was over on the IMDb, too, but I'll resurrect this tired old story  :laugh: since you asked!

Years ago,( my first time online and I had to choose a name)  I had NO concept of how closely connected to it I'd be, and for how long.  The name is the same for my email address and for my BetterMost username.  I had submitted several different ideas, all turned down by AOL, so I kept  thinking....   what name other than my own would make me turn and look if I heard it?  That's how I came up with 'Sash'.  It was the name of a character I played in the film, 'Thundercrack!', a VERY long time ago  ;) .  I asked for just 'Sash', but no....so I added the 'CA', simply signifying that I'm a Californian, but still no--  and they said I could have that IF I added these random numbers (that they chose).  So, there ya go.  ::)
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline BB Stacker

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2006, 04:56:41 pm »
Since I usually use the same old name for everything I thought I'd do something different here just because.
 I once had a co-worker who used the phrase "Might as well be sitting in the corner stacking bbs" when referring to a particularly unproductive day. I always liked the phrase, and around the time I signed up here I seemed to be having an unprecedented number of those days.

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2006, 09:13:26 pm »
Amber is my name ... although my login name is msuamber.  MSUamber because I graduated from Michigan State.  Someone on the boards kindly informed me however that msuamber sounded like an African Tribal Chief name so I dropped the msu and kept the Amber *lol* :D
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2006, 12:19:31 am »
I have had several people send me pm's asking what the 925 after David means. One person asked if the 25 indicated the year I was born. She said I look awfully good in my pic for an 81 year old!

The 925 is the month and day I was born. September 25. And David is my real first name.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2006, 07:46:56 pm »
I have had several people send me pm's asking what the 925 after David means. One person asked if the 25 indicated the year I was born. She said I look awfully good in my pic for an 81 year old!

Someone with a great sense of humor, then! Let me guess who...
" - I'm vegan now."