Author Topic: And what about the choice of our user name ?  (Read 32532 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: And what about the choice of our user name ?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »

I loved the movie so much that I made sure to get a red stapler for my office, to show solidarity for Milton. Although I'm nowhere near the breaking point that poor Milton is. And everybody in the office knows not to mess with my stapler! ;D

I have the Stapler too!  And I'm a Libra (serious Venus stuff in my chart - SERIOUS!!)

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2006, 05:43:55 pm »
Henry's my cat, that fat little loaf on the radiator.

For some reason when I go to my mom's house and see her cat (Libby, adopted the day Scooter Libby was indicted -- but also short for Elizabeth), I break out into cooking-and-eating imagery.  There's something so luscious, so juicy about her.  She's a little velvet fat bomb.  Damn, she's great.  Anyway, while Libby seems to bring out the I'm-gonna-cook-you-up-and-eat-you imagery most strongly, Henry, my darling firstborn sweetest sweetie, does too.  Hence pie.  Mmmm, pie.

Floorpie!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2006, 06:03:49 pm »
lnicoll

Leslie Nicoll

Like, I had to think long and hard about that one. No, actually, my parents did.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2006, 06:23:38 pm »
Henry's my cat, that fat little loaf on the radiator.

For some reason when I go to my mom's house and see her cat (Libby, adopted the day Scooter Libby was indicted -- but also short for Elizabeth), I break out into cooking-and-eating imagery.  There's something so luscious, so juicy about her.  She's a little velvet fat bomb.  Damn, she's great.  Anyway, while Libby seems to bring out the I'm-gonna-cook-you-up-and-eat-you imagery most strongly, Henry, my darling firstborn sweetest sweetie, does too.  Hence pie.  Mmmm, pie.

Floorpie!

Oh, Henrypie, I adore you.  Every single word you write is just pure laughing gold.  No, platinum.  I realize that I sound like such an ass-licking (can we say ass-licking?) dweeb, but I just love you.  Adriana hearts Sarah 4-ever.  Every time I see you've posted, I get excited, because with Henrypie, you know it's going to be good.  It's like the brand you can trust.  I want to be able to write like you.  No, wait, I think I just want to be you.  And I'm a cat-eater too, so I love your kitty stories.  Munch, munch.  A little velvet fat bomb.  Oh, the perfection!

And now I'm going to edge away, verrrry slowwwly, stare at my shoes, and blush deeply.  Writer's crush is so embarassing.

Front-Ranger, you have on the finest looking pink sweater in your photo.  I've been meaning to tell you how much I admire it.  I love sweaters, especially pink ones.

Yaadpyar is the coolest name ever.  Your post reminded me of hearing about how monks in the middle ages who were enscribing illuminated manuscripts would use a new quill whenever they wrote the name of God.  Then they would burn the quill so it would remain unsullied by using it to write anything ordinary or profane.  Neat, huh?  I always think I would have made a good monk.  Except for the whole gender issue.  And the fact that I'm an infidel.  Oh, and the shaved head.  I'd look terrible with a shaved head.  But other than that - perfect!

I'm a Libran too, but (oh, I'm becoming such a bore) - whisper it, I don't really believe in that either.  But I'll try, Ubie, just for you.  I will try.

Elle and others have heard this story before, but Chanterais comes from backpacking around France with my best friend Elizabeth a few years ago.  After getting joyously drunk on a bottle of Burgundy's finest one sunny afternoon, we got into a wonderful argument about whether the fragrant, apricot-coloured melon we were eating for lunch was a chanterais or a charentais.  I fought valiantly for chanterais.  I was wrong.  And ever since, Elizabeth has called me Chanterais, just to rub it in.  Bitch.  C'est tout.

Now I am going to stop writing silliness, and try very, very hard to get a life.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 06:53:31 pm by Chanterais »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 06:41:42 pm »
Oh bugger, I just lost my post.  Will go back and re-create.
Please do! I have been wondering how/why you chose 'Chanterais' (it's French for "I would sing", but I guess you know that).

[..]

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 06:13:00 am by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2006, 06:58:45 pm »
Ugh, finally managed to re-write my post, but believe me it's simply a pale imitation of the first masterpiece.  Lightning only strikes once, you know.  I hate computers.

Henrypie, please forgive my humiliating leg-hump.  I promise I won't do it again in public.  Unless you want me to.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2006, 07:41:33 pm »
cmr run do not walk to go see Donnie Darko.  Course I said that to my sister and she hated it.

Henrypie I too use a strange to be cooked descriptor to describe anything from rats to possums to bird and pets.

When talking about my cats as my back up plan in case of a famine - they're cat meat loafs.
When talking about other animals, they're always 'big fat juicy X'.  The maintenance men looked at me strangely when I described a local possum as big fat and juicy.

Don't know where I picked this up.

Uber I misread your name and thought it was 'librarian'.  A friend of mine had her masters in library science.  I too am a libran of such magnitude that sometimes I grind to a halt, unable to make a decision because I don't have sufficient information.

My ex-boyfriend gave me my handle.  He was setting up my computer and needed some name, so he plugged this one in and I liked it, de la lluvia - Spanish for 'of the rain' or 'from the rain'.  I like to think of it as representing me as the Voice of Reason in the Wilderness, the Lone Voice, the Voice at the Back of the Room.  But it could also mean I'm all wet. ;)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:51 pm »
I'm loving all these stories and hesitate to respond to any one post in particular for the sin of excluding another.  So - I love 'em all.  I think the ones that are various forms of your names are so brave - I always feel it takes a particular courage to post that on-line amongst strangers.

Even more than your names, I so enjoy your posts...all of you and all of them!

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2006, 09:48:22 pm »
Oy--it's so hard to feel like the last to arrive at all the little parties that have been going on all day in my absence! And yet I love catching up so much with you. It's a party every day at Chez Tremblay.

I agree with yaad here, there are so many things I love about everyone's names and their great explanations, it is almost too much to try and say it all, so here is just a tiny taste of my reactions.

Uber I thought you were Uberlibrarian too!!! It was only a couple days ago I saw you weren't! Made me laugh.

Yaadpyar so nice to get the story finally. I knew it would be cool. It fits you very well. I love a good fittin-screenname. (by the way is it screenname or screen name or screename? or just user name?)

Cmr107 Del is right, gotta make it your priority to see Donnie Darko my friend!!!! I am so into that movie. I bought three copies because the first copy I got (and the second) were too dark compared to my rental version, which I ended up going back to buy cause I wanted it so much to be the perfect copy.

Chanterais I am SO glad you re-wrote your post for us! Your gush over Henrypie was priceless! Any one who doesn't get the fun and flair of online message board posting should read a post like that. You can say things online that would just not fly anywhere else, but here they are pure magic.

Henrypie I love your posts too, and you make me want to have cats, which is saying something cause I'm a dog lover. I miss the fun of loving them animals to death.

And as for me, I am sure you all know by now b/c I write about this like, every other day it seems, but I chose newyearsday because after lurking for three weeks at IMDb, I began my BBM posting career at IMDb on new year's day. I also am a huge U2 fan, so it was a nice salute to them to use one of their oldies but goodies as my name. And finally I just love the continual ring of hope that those three words have. That's why I love my screenname.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:52:13 pm by newyearsday »
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:52 am »
latjoreme because that's what you get if you type Katherine but put your fingers in the wrong place on the keyboard and my real name is Katherine. Someone in my college major office did that very thing early in my time there, and it stayed on the record and went out on all the labels so every piece of correspondence I ever got from them was addressed to latjoreme.

I told you on the last board that my name was Lana (Jenny, I even signed a PM that way to you -- sorry!) and here's a confession: it's not. I know it sounds incredibly paranoid that I wouldn't even give my real name when it was just a first name anyway, but the imdb boards were already getting kind of scary then and as a writer I have stuff on the web that editors and others often look up and I wanted to be able to write with complete honesty and openness whatever might be in my heart -- there I things I tell you guys I wouldn't share with my therapist or best friend, let alone a would-be employer -- without having to fear that somehow that connection would be made.

I guess I was just watching the white pickup truck of google drive past. But I was probably overcautious. Anyway, it's Katherine.