Author Topic: Let´s celebrate men in dresses  (Read 118082 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Let´s celebrate men in dresses
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2011, 11:17:00 pm »
Skirts can be cold in winter, but are infinitely more comfortable than pants in summer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
But, with global warming looming, aren't skirts the wave of the future?

I would think, rather, that would be loose-fitting, baggy shorts. In summer, they're already practically a uniform around here. You'd think Old Navy had taken over the world.  :-\ With all those pockets, at least they're practical.  :-\

Or what about what my mother used to call culottes?  ;D

Skirts can be cold in winter, but are infinitely more comfortable than pants in summer.

What I don't get is people who run around in full-length, heavy jeans, and flip-flops, but let be, let be.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:27 am »
Interesting article, Katherine.  I got curious.  Here's Jon-Jon:

He was also featured on NPR recently:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/16/136242022/a-partyboy-reflects-on-life-lip-gloss
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2011, 06:31:59 pm »
I suppose one could ask why anybody would want to wear a skirt these days.

I mean, since skirts are no longer commonly instep-length, aren't skirts and dresses cold in cold weather?

Skirts are easy.  In the summer, you just pop on a top, your sandals, and slid on the skirt and you're out the door.

Naw, I find skirts warmer in winter than pants.  Under skirts, you can layer.  If it's really cold, you can wear stockings, tights on top of that, socks on your feet, boots and then the skirt which - if a winter skirt - is probably lined, then of course your coats etc.  I find the colder it gets, the more inclined I am to wear a skirt.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14:32 pm »
Naw, I find skirts warmer in winter than pants.  Under skirts, you can layer.  If it's really cold, you can wear stockings, tights on top of that, socks on your feet, boots and then the skirt which - if a winter skirt - is probably lined, then of course your coats etc.  I find the colder it gets, the more inclined I am to wear a skirt.

Well, yes, but as you describe it, it's the layers that are keeping you warm, not the skirt. Unless your trousers are painted-on tight, you can layer with trousers, too.

Nor do I see how a skirt in the summer is any easier than a pair of baggy shorts.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 07:23:38 pm »
Well, yes, but as you describe it, it's the layers that are keeping you warm, not the skirt. Unless your trousers are painted-on tight, you can layer with trousers, too.

Nor do I see how a skirt in the summer is any easier than a pair of baggy shorts.

Because you can't wear baggy shorts everywhere.  ;D

As for layering, the skirt allows you to do that.

Layer under pants?  Well, I guess if you're wearing parachute pants or sweatpants.  All my regular pants are straight-legged and fit quite close because I'm so short and curvy.  If I had baggy pants I'd look like a sloppy tree trunk.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:57 am »
a special webpage for famous men in skirts, isn´t that great!

http://www.meninskirts.org/Famous.htm

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2011, 08:33:30 am »

Because you can't wear baggy shorts everywhere.  ;D

As for layering, the skirt allows you to do that.

Layer under pants?  Well, I guess if you're wearing parachute pants or sweatpants.  All my regular pants are straight-legged and fit quite close because I'm so short and curvy.  If I had baggy pants I'd look like a sloppy tree trunk.

A Minnesotan's perspective:

When it's cold, I guess the layering-under-the-skirt theory makes sense. But unless I'm going to be outside for a long time, I really don't want to wear a million layers. And when it comes to a choice of skirt + tights vs. pants, I choose pants. I rarely wear skirts in the winter at all. For me, they just don't cut it at 20 below. If I AM going to be outside for a long time in the cold, I still choose pants -- snow pants.

When it's hot, skirts are great. They're cooler than baggy shorts because they allow more air circulation (which is the problem, in winter).

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »

???

I thought David Duchovny was Jewish.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »
A Minnesotan's perspective:

When it's cold, I guess the layering-under-the-skirt theory makes sense. But unless I'm going to be outside for a long time, I really don't want to wear a million layers. And when it comes to a choice of skirt + tights vs. pants, I choose pants. I rarely wear skirts in the winter at all. For me, they just don't cut it at 20 below. If I AM going to be outside for a long time in the cold, I still choose pants -- snow pants.

Ah, there you go.  If it's 20 below I will NEVER be outside for a long time so I don't have to worry about what to wear.  8)