Author Topic: Let´s celebrate men in dresses  (Read 118089 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Let´s celebrate men in dresses
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »
^Yeah, I was thinking that the recent episode of Glee was relevant here! :)

Yes, I've always understood that a kilt isn't supposed to be called a "skirt."  But, to me, it's a matter of semantics... because, in its physical aspects, clearly a kilt *is* a skirt.  The word "skirt" can clearly be provocative.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
The word "skirt" can clearly be provocative.

Oh boy yeah

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »
Indian wedding dress

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:56 pm »
Someone mentioned the movie The Crying Game in another thread. I have to watch that movie again soon to see if I still like it as much as I did back when. I had those lyrics stuck in my head for weeks afterwards....I know all there is to know about the crying game...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »
Indian wedding dress

Is that really a dress? I know nothing about its construction, but to me it looks like a coat of some kind worn over trousers.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:51 pm »
Yes, I've always understood that a kilt isn't supposed to be called a "skirt."  But, to me, it's a matter of semantics... because, in its physical aspects, clearly a kilt *is* a skirt.  The word "skirt" can clearly be provocative.

Interesting to note that even the edition of Webster's that we currently have in my office actually defines kilt as "a knee-length pleated skirt usu. of tartan. ..."

However, I think I know a number of Celtic purist historical reenactors (many, no doubt, inspired by Braveheart) who would take great exception to that definition. To these people, a kilt is actually a quite long piece of fabric that gets wrapped around the body, and one end of it actually ends up being tossed over the shoulder. Dictionaries and popular usage notwithstanding, to these people a kilt is not something that looks like it should be worn by a Catholic schoolgirl.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
I would defer to Kelda, our native expert on all things Scottish, however, Wiki does distinguish between the kilt and the full length garment known as the 'great kilt' which has the over-shoulder portion.  The kilt part IS essentially - a skirt.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
I would defer to Kelda, our native expert on all things Scottish, however, Wiki does distinguish between the kilt and the full length garment known as the 'great kilt' which has the over-shoulder portion.  The kilt part IS essentially - a skirt.

;D The folks I know generally consider only a great kilt to be a real kilt. And since they're all generally about twice as tall as me and also twice as broad, I'm not about to contradict them!  :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:31 pm »
;D The folks I know generally consider only a great kilt to be a real kilt. And since they're all generally about twice as tall as me and also twice as broad, I'm not about to contradict them!  :laugh:
:laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 03:13:01 pm »
I dunno. In that get-up he could make a tolerable Edith Piaf. ...

I do think he needs to shave his chest to be convincing.....

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre