Author Topic: Chaz Bono  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Chaz Bono
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
Chaz Bono, son of the legendary pop duo Sonny & Cher, will be making a New York City appearance to sign copies of “Transition: The Story of How I Became a Man.”

Born Chastity Sun Bono in 1969, Chaz is the author of “Family Outing: A Guide to the Coming Out Process for Gays, Lesbians, and Their Families” (1998) and a 2003 memoir, “The End of Innocence.”

In 1995, Chaz formally identified himself publicly as a lesbian in an interview with national gay and lesbian magazine “The Advocate.” And in 2008, at age 39, Bono began undergoing transformation from female to male, and one year ago, legally changed his name and gender.

He has been an outspoken activist for the LGBT community for 15 years, has been a spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign, actively canvassed against the Defense of Marriage Act, and has been involved in promoting National Coming Out Day. “Transition” will be released on May 10, 2011.

ABC NEWS
By: Sheila Marikar

hm...I just now noticed the date. Perhaps his appearance in NY is already in the past. Interesting man, in any case.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Chaz Bono
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:39:07 pm »
Buffy, did you see his documentary?  I didn't see it in its entirety, but I'll catch it on OWN (Ophrah Winfrey's Network) Sunday night.  The documentary is awesome.  When Chaz was still Chastity, she held sort of a mini seminar at my niece's school.  The kids loved her and found her to be quite warm and approachable.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:03:39 pm »
I saw part of the episode on OWN the other night.  It was very interesting.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:51:02 am »
Buffy, did you see his documentary?  I didn't see it in its entirety, but I'll catch it on OWN (Ophrah Winfrey's Network) Sunday night.  The documentary is awesome.  When Chaz was still Chastity, she held sort of a mini seminar at my niece's school.  The kids loved her and found her to be quite warm and approachable.
No, I didn´t. I´ll try and find it.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:56:35 pm »
This is blatant promosexuality. Talk about selling out. Chaz is clearly more interested in his bank account and getting off the D list than helping sexual minorities.

Sad.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:39 am »
This is blatant promosexuality. Talk about selling out. Chaz is clearly more interested in his bank account and getting off the D list than helping sexual minorities.

Sad.

Okay, I'd guess he's making at least some money out of his book, I'd guess. I'm sure  but how isn't it helping sexual minorities as well?. You're a marketer Milo, you've heard of social marketing and cause marketing. Do you not belive this book is not in that vein?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
Okay, I'd guess he's making at least some money out of his book, I'd guess. I'm sure  but how isn't it helping sexual minorities as well?. You're a marketer Milo, you've heard of social marketing and cause marketing. Do you not belive this book is not in that vein?

I was thinking the same thing.  Writers write to make money and support themselves and to share their stories.  If they feel they have something important to say that might help others, but want to say it whether it does or not, why is that a sellout?  Do all social messages have to be non-profit to be taken seriously?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »
Methinks Chaz does not so much need the testosterone, but maybe a Valium.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »
In other news regarding Chaz Bono, the OWN special was not well received by some transsexuals.  Over at the DailyKos trans and gender queer support group, one of their activists published a scathing review of the special (not the book).  His argument centers on the "wrong narrative" the producers use to claim that Chaz "became a man", when the "correct" narrative is that transsexuals ARE born the opposite gender to their bodies, (phenotype and genotype to the contrary) and that sexual reassignment corrects that. Therefore Chaz would have "always been a man" in the sense of brain sexuality.

I am deeply skeptical of this narrative, myself, but then again, I'm not transsexual.  I have my own issues with transsexuals who seek to appropriate the narrative and the medical legitimacy of intersex and to lump them all together as "gender nonconforming" in an effort to gain greater social acceptability for trans.    Intersex have a constellation of problems, but medical legitimacy of their conditions is not one of them.  Actually getting diagnosis and appropriate treatment are the biggest problems for the intersexed.  That hasn't slowed down the transsexual/transgender community one whit.

For anyone who is interested, here's the link to the review on DKos:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/14/976062/-Trans-Framing,-or-why-Chaz-Bono-doesnt-speak-for-me?via=search
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 02:19:55 pm »

For anyone who is interested, here's the link to the review on DKos:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/14/976062/-Trans-Framing,-or-why-Chaz-Bono-doesnt-speak-for-me?via=search

I dunno.  That critique is basically telling everyone how Chaz SHOULD feel.  Only Chaz knows how he feels and it's pretty presumptuous IMO that anyone else can tell him that he's really not feeling what he's feeling.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:52 am »
I dunno.  That critique is basically telling everyone how Chaz SHOULD feel.  Only Chaz knows how he feels and it's pretty presumptuous IMO that anyone else can tell him that he's really not feeling what he's feeling.

That is pretty much how I took it, too.  How presumptuous is it, to presume that 'if he thought it through' then he would feel the way the FtM author of the piece does?  The big unspoken issue here is that the 'typical' transsexual experience is not boys playing with dolls and wearing dresses during early childhood and insisting that they are girls, (and vice versa), the typical experience occurs in adulthood, after many years of belonging to and having relationships, either hetero or gay, which is why so many transsexuals have 'heartbreaking family stories' because they make the transition after marrying, fathering or mothering children, and living an adult life as they were born.  The ones who post in activist forums will claim a retroactive misery, but looking back at my own life and my own marriage and background from the perspective of middle age, it is hard for me to not agree to some extent with Camille Paglia that there are those who are now getting sex reassignment surgery because 'it's out there' as a gender choice.  Her comments on this - and on Chaz Bono - have infuriated the transsexual community; but she is speaking from the standpoint of lesbian activists, and from their perspective, they see long-time lesbian feminist women having FtM surgery and think, what the hell is that about?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:20:02 am »
The ones who post in activist forums will claim a retroactive misery, but looking back at my own life and my own marriage and background from the perspective of middle age, it is hard for me to not agree to some extent with Camille Paglia that there are those who are now getting sex reassignment surgery because 'it's out there' as a gender choice.  Her comments on this - and on Chaz Bono - have infuriated the transsexual community; but she is speaking from the standpoint of lesbian activists, and from their perspective, they see long-time lesbian feminist women having FtM surgery and think, what the hell is that about?

OT, perhaps, but I wonder whether they feel somehow betrayed? Are they thinking that a lesbian who has FtM reassignment surgery "selling out"?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.