Author Topic: Masculinity in Brokeback Mountain  (Read 15198 times)

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
Re: Masculinity in Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »
Long time no see :)

Thank you guys, your's posts enriched me with good material.

To millomorris:
Actually, my second part of analysis will be based on homosexuality in society. I have covered it more or less in my theoretical part of course paper, therefore I'm going to analyse it in BM, I have noticed one scene where one guy stares at Ennis and Jack through binoculars, I think it reflects social situation of that time, but in this case I need more scenes, quotations that may reflect the way how these two men were threatened in the external world. Anyway, I have a lot of good material here, in this thread, which is not deeply covered by me yet.

To Mandy21:

Believe me or not, my professor knows more than I can even imagine :D Though my essay, course paper, or everything else may look quite perfect for me, my professor would say that is worth no more than 7 :D cruel reality....

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:52 am »
Hello guys, i need your help again.

My course paper is more or less good but I need to write one more section called "Analysis of external world in brokeback mountain" I should write about the way society had viewed jack and ennis.

Thanks in advance.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
Hello guys, i need your help again.

My course paper is more or less good but I need to write one more section called "Analysis of external world in brokeback mountain" I should write about the way society had viewed jack and ennis.

Thanks in advance.

As usual, there are several levels going on here...

1. There's the way the other characters in Brokeback Mountain viewed Jack & Ennis.
2. There's the way society viewed homosexuals
3. There's the way Jack & Ennis perceived society's view of them, and of homosexuals.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:33 am »
Yes, we have discussed in several threads on the Open Forum how different Numbers 1, 2, and 3 were. There were debates about whether Aguirre or Old Man Twist really were homophobic at all. In the movie, it seemed clear that men in Texas were homophobic, but in the story this is less clear. Ennis' father was clearly homophobic but Ennis seemed to respect him anyway. Although Annie Proulx said one time that the story is about rural homophobia, much of this is in the background taking second place to the primary subject of the relationship of two people.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
Thanks!

In addition, numbers 1. and 3. are clear.
On number 1. I may talk about ennis's wife and Joe aguirre. Is there anything more that I should talk about?
On number 3. I may talk about ennis' and jack's fears, how they are intimidated and so on...
But what scenes from the short story may be given as an examples of number 2.?

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
Could you please copy the links to the threads where I could find more on this ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 03:26:15 am »
Thanks for the given links. I have just finished my part on external world of brokeback mountain. One thing that made my analysis of external world very easy was structure based on these 3 "ways" given. I'm wondering to re-write my analysis of internal world of major characters. What I need is similar structure to the one given before. Therefore, I'm asking you guys, is it possible to "structurize" the internal world of the Ennis and Jack. I need your replies till the end of this day.

Once again, THANKS!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 10:27:29 am »
How about if you take the first stab at it and we can give you our comments? We'll be standing by!

Offline Espresso

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:32 am »
i would like to do so, but I can't because than, my professor may find it here and my teacher do not know that my nick is "Espresso" so it would be clear case of plagiarism... I will post my whole course paper when I will get mark on it. But now the only possible way is to discuss with you guys