Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - text at your own risk! LOL  (Read 6020 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - text at your own risk! LOL
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »
Whatever your next movie is, if you are seeing it in the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, make sure you don't attempt to text!!!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

We've all seen the little ads before the movies start, asking people not to talk, and turn off their cell phones and other devices.  Well the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema chain has started a zero-tolerance policy, and have kicked texters out of the theater without a refund.

One irate woman called and left a nasty message on their voicemail, and I bet she regrets it, here is what Alamo Drafthouse did, and it is playing in front of all of their movies, and has become a YouTube sensation.

&feature=aso

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - text at your own risk! LOL
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:45 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ&feature=aso[/youtube]

LOL!  They know how to get their point across.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:46 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ&feature=aso[/youtube]

LOL!  They know how to get their point across.  ;D
hahahahaha!

Thanks, what a great way to start my day

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:15:25 pm »
I wish more public places had the backbone to enforce their own rules like this place does.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:16:42 am »
I may be the only one, but I feel for this woman. Somewhat, since nothing really bad happened.
Ok, the fact that the theater made an "ad" for not using phones really is funny, I also had to chuckle. And the woman's privacy is given, so that's ok.

But in her phone call she says she used her phone only as flashlight, not to call or text someone, because it was so dark and she tried to find her way. Remember back in the time, when cinemas had ushers? They did exactly that, leading people to their seats in the dark after they had used the restroom etc. And they used a flashlight for it.
I also saw people using their cells as a flashlight the one or other time in the last years, and it never occurred to me to feel overly disturbed by it.

There are other people in a theater. They laugh, they talk, cough or sneeze, they make cracking noises with candy or popcorn, and God help me, sometimes they even fart. While you shouldn't do all of this, you should also learn to live with some people doing it some times.

I think throwing people out of the theater for using a cell is over the top.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:09:31 am »

I think she first used it as a flashlight, and later on to text. She says something along the lines "I´ve texted in all the other theaters in Texas but never gotten thrown out before" and the movie house refers to her as "the texter".

A theater can´t prohibit people from sneezing (or farting) because it is usually out of people´s control. In most theaters a no-cell phone message is shown before the movie so that it is pretty clear what the rule is. How hard is it really to follow that rule?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:46:53 am »
I think she first used it as a flashlight, and later on to text. She says something along the lines "I´ve texted in all the other theaters in Texas but never gotten thrown out before" and the movie house refers to her as "the texter".

A theater can´t prohibit people from sneezing (or farting) because it is usually out of people´s control. In most theaters a no-cell phone message is shown before the movie so that it is pretty clear what the rule is. How hard is it really to follow that rule?

Yes of course you have a point here. She comes across pretty dislikable, and that "using my phone at all other theaters" pretty much gives her away.
Still I think throwing people out is too much. You never know why someone has to use their phone just then, or if they maybe simply forgot to turn it off, messages or no.
When I see/hear a phone in a theater I always think 'ouch, the poor guy must be completely embarrased now' and am happy that it didn't happen to me.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:34:29 am »

When I see/hear a phone in a theater I always think 'ouch, the poor guy must be completely embarrassed now' and am happy that it didn't happen to me.

oh yeah, I'd be way embarrassed! In one of the commentaries, the theater says that this woman was warned twice before being kicked out, so that's why I don't sympathize much with her in particular. That said, I don't think someone should be thrown out for accidentally having forgotten to turn of their phone. I mean, shit happens. O0

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:06:17 am »
oh yeah, I'd be way embarrassed! In one of the commentaries, the theater says that this woman was warned twice before being kicked out, so that's why I don't sympathize much with her in particular.

Oh, I had missed the part about her being warned, twice even. I just saw the video and didn't read anything further.
Well, in that case, my already not overly strong symapthies for her get even less.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:54 am »
A year or so ago, I was at the theatre, and a young girl in front of me was using her mobile phone to text. I waited to see if she would stop, but she continued on, so I just leant down over her shoulder, and said very quietly...."If you dont turn that off, you will be looking for it under the seats down the front of the theatre in a minute"....she turned it off.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:02 am »
"Alamo Drafthouse"?  ???

Never heard of it. Sounds more like a beer garden than a cinema.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:37:30 am »

The late Ann Richards was a regular at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar Blvd, and as such she was down for being part of a more extensive shoot than many of our other celebrities from Don't Talk PSAs have time for. We teamed up with a local filmmaking team, Clasico Entertainment, to produce this super strong PSA

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=159aC5YSio4[/youtube]

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »
I miss Ann Richards.  If any woman deserved to be in the White House... :(  :'(

Anyone notice the movie playing in the background of this Alamo House courtesy warning?  The famous line the guy cracks up at?  O0

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:51 pm »
I miss Ann Richards.

Me, too, and I'm not even from Texas.

I miss Molly Ivins, too.

Let be, let be. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:10 pm »
Me, too, and I'm not even from Texas.

I miss Molly Ivins, too.

Let be, let be. ...  :(

A-men.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...