Author Topic: The Soap 'Days of Our Lives' Readies Gay Storyline for the First Time  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/06/17/days-of-our-lives-readies-gay-storyline/

Days of Our Lives
Readies Gay Storyline

by Chris Harnick
posted Jun 17th 2011 3:30PM

'Days of Our Lives' is prepping for its first gay storyline.

According to Entertainment Weekly,  '90210' actor Freddie Smith will play Sonny, a character who returns home to his family. Which 'Days' family? Those details are being kept under wraps.

"He is the center of attention kind of guy but in a good way," Smith told EW.  "He's very confident and mature, he's traveled the world and is very open-minded. I'm very excited to portray him."

The character Smith will be falling for is also being kept secret, and the actor said it could be a new character or an existing Salem resident.

"I think it will be interesting to see how people respond to it," he said. "I truly care about the whole thing. There's been a lot of controversy about this and for me to be able to a part of it, to be able to change people and make a difference ... I'm really excited to play a character with that much pull."

This isn't the first gay relationship on a soap -- far from it. 'All My Children,' for example, had a lesbian wedding, and in 2006 'As The World Turns' made headlines for Luke's (Van Hansis) coming out and subsequent relationships.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Well not before time, thats for sure.....

I first saw Days of our Lives when I was 17yrs old....I am now nearly 60......so, its about time.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I wonder if they will raid any elements from the Chrolli storyline?  Christian and Oliver are the German pair who have had the huge international following after their episodes were subtitled in English and put on Youtube.  In that story, Olli was introduced at the end of 2007 as a cruise ship steward who came back home to Dusseldorf.  He was out, self-assured and popular but fell in love with closed-off Christian, who was then with a girlfriend, after Christian started opening up a little to him one night as they sat out by the campfire.  This story got really interesting throughout 2008, and I was actually at a Christian and Olli fan event in New York which was attended by the actors the same weekend I joined the Bettermost group to see Looking for Billy Haines.  Christian and Olli are still together on the show, the characters actually got married last year, but for me their great period was the first half of 2008 when they first got together.

Freddie Smith's comments give me an intuition that he might be helping a character now on the show come out.

I don't usually watch American soaps, I seem to require a foreign language or at least an accent to spice them up.   That must work both ways, Either Olli or Jo Weil who plays him or both talked about 90210 being a favorite show.

I also watch them because the foreign ones have the gay storylines excerpted on Youtube so I can just watch the interesting bits.

But of course, it is significant culturally when an established US series commits to introducing the themes which are so routine in Europe.  May this series do better for them than the recent half-hearted forays of other US soaps which caved to conservative critics.