Author Topic: Good books on Wyoming?  (Read 9838 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Good books on Wyoming?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »
I never finished The Dark Horse because I found the characters too stereotyped. I kept comparing it to the novels of C. J. Box and it kept falling short of them. Box's series of Joe Pickett novels has much more depth. Pickett is the conflicted game warden in Ten Sleep County with a native American sidekick...or is he the enemy? Maybe Walt is a better protagonist for television, though.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:42 pm »
I never finished The Dark Horse because I found the characters too stereotyped. I kept comparing it to the novels of C. J. Box and it kept falling short of them. Box's series of Joe Pickett novels has much more depth. Pickett is the conflicted game warden in Ten Sleep County with a native American sidekick...or is he the enemy? Maybe Walt is a better protagonist for television, though.

Thanks for the update, FRiend Lee. I'll have to think about checking into C.J. Box's novels.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
Our friend Offline Chuck has read a couple of those novels too and could give you a second opinion. I was at the book fair last weekend (tickets courtesy of OCD) and I saw two of C. J. Box's novels. Only trouble was, one was $30 and the other was $80. They must have been signed first editions! I opted for a book of stories and illustrations by Charles Russell, the artist, that was only $12. The seller told me that the stories are very colorful and interesting. I remember Annie Proulx mentioning his work too. He, Remington, Bierstadt and Owen Wister pretty much put Wyoming and the West on the map for curious Easterners.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »
Box's series of Joe Pickett novels has much more depth. Pickett is the conflicted game warden in Ten Sleep County with a native American sidekick...or is he the enemy? Maybe Walt is a better protagonist for television, though.

Tell you what. I have a lot on my mind right now, and this innerestin' point didn't sink in before:

Joe Picket is a conflicted game warden in (fictional) Ten Sleep County with a Native American sidekick.

Walt Longmire is a conflicted sheriff in (fictional) Absaroka County with a Native American friend (at least in the TV series; he's played by Lou Diamond Philips and I can't say exactly why, but he reminds me of OCD).

I wonder whether the, er, parallel holds true in the Longmire books?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.