Author Topic: Is the cinematic age of the Period piece gone? 2011's Three Musketeers  (Read 14701 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Is the cinematic age of the Period piece gone? 2011's Three Musketeers
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 02:21:43 am »

:laugh: :laugh:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKuHB0eqGQ&feature=related[/youtube]
&feature=related

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »
The Return of the Musketeers (1989)

Must make myself a note to try to track that one down. I've never seen it.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:08 pm »
Featuring
Roy Kinnear as Planchet
(D'Artagnan's servant)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aezX4lxCaCw&feature=related[/youtube]
Another favorite scene.

Note that the Musketeers are very clearly and accurately, using muskets.  ;D

Again, poor Planchet is put-upon to not only carry and serve the food, but to reload their weapons  And a great commentary on the religious wars.

The movie The Four Musketeers starts with a voiceover from a much older Porthos where he talks about the French Catholics fighting against their fellow French Protestants at LaRochelle.

"We were teaching them the meaning of Christian charity by bombarding them into submission, what!"  :laugh:

And this scene shows the ludicrousness of religious wars is plain even to the Musketeers:

Porthos:  Why are we killing these poor devils for anyway?  Just because they sing their hymns in French and we sing ours in Latin?
Aramis:  My dear Porthos, are you that uneducated?  That's what religious wars are all about.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 06:19:06 pm »

One of my  favorite scenes (and I haven't seen the movie in more than thirty years!)--at the Cardinal's instigation, Louis is demanding his Queen
(Anne of Austria) wear his gift of the diamond studs she has secretly given to the Duke of Buckingham. The scene, with the King and Queen and
the courtiers (except for Richelieu) all in silver and white, is sumptuously gorgeous, but as always with the Lester-ian comedic element: the King
is picking hors d'oeuvres from silver trays strapped to the heads of court dwarfs, who are also dressed in silver, and the dwarfs, being ignored by
the court, are quietly fighting among themselves immediately below: "He (the King) picked from my  tray!" "No, from me!"

Hilarious!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:43 pm »
This film taught me how (intentionally) funny Raquel Welch could be--such as in the scene where the musketeers come to rescue her, and she drops the key down her bosom, making it impossible for anyone to reach it, so she jumps up and down until the key falls out from under her skirt.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 09:11:49 am »
As a boy of 10 years in 1968, this was my favorite rendering of The Three Musketeers.  ;D

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Hanna-Barbera_Studios/A-C/The_Banana_Splits_Adventure_Hour/The_Three_Musketeers/index.html

Seriously, I believe it was memories of this cartoon that, almost thirty years later, got me interested in the Society for Creative Anachronism and the Renaissance Faire scene.

Hey, something is responsible for my fascination with hot guys in tight pants with long swords!  :laugh:

Edit to Add: Last year I came across an eBay listing for a videotape of a couple of the Musketeer episodes. It was a buy-it-now deal. To make sure this was, indeed, episodes of my long-remembered cartoon favorite, I contacted the seller before buying it. She tried to check the tape, but unfortunately, the tape broke in the process, so there was no deal. I'd still love to have videos of those cartoons some day.  ;D