Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah  (Read 21679 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Brokeback Mountain on Oprah
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006, 12:21:48 am »
Ah C'mon David - It's just a small typo the"J" of Jake is right there next to the "K" of Kake on your keyboard - He intended the word Jake - just a small typo (It's not like we're on a Tom of Finland site here, you know (HAHA))

Roland! Hey, I live in Indiana. We ain't too good at cipherin' around here.

Thanks for the info. I really did think he was talking about a television station. <blush>
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 12:27:59 am »
God. I just went back and reread what he said.

What was I thinking?

My mother always said I should "think before I talk"... or in this case "think before I type".

Geez, how embarrassing.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 07:55:45 am »
It's even worse than that Melissa. This thread started by you innocently asking where on the Internet you could find a copy of the "Oprah" show.

These threads sometimes remind me of that "telephone" game. You know the game, don't you? One person will whisper something into the next person's ear; something like "President Bush is an idiot" and by the time it gets to the last person in the line it has changed to something completely different, like "Your dog needs a bath".

It certainly keeps things interesting. But it's very weird.
:laugh:
Oh god, I was just thinking that this might have become that kind of thread!

The Thread of Misunderstandings and Political Incorrectness. Let's change the Topic name.

Offline Seaweed727

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • We are all better when we are loved.
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 01:31:34 pm »
And I agree with you, Seaweed.  Wholeheartedly.  I actually fell in love with Jake when I saw him on Leno prior to that appearance for the very same reason you put so well.  He just sealed the deal on Oprah, at the precise point in which he said "What're you gettin' at?"  He was also particularly gracious in saying how he defers all compliments to Heath.  There's none of that competitive bullshit with him.  I doubt you'd hear Matt Damon say that about Leonardo DiCaprio in The Departed or any other actor with basically equal billing about his colleague in any other movie.  Sure, they'll praise other actors for their performances, but not like that.

My God ednbarby great minds think alike !   Ha.

It has always been my position with regards to Jake and Heath; both so very different in the way they deal with their interviews (Jake so comfortable and warm, with Heath very humble and uncomfortable) that they are both so well spoken or downright honest in their responses.  I absolutely love Jake's interview on Leno and his kibitzing with Ellen Degeneres, he wins me over each and every time.  The same goes for Heath, you can literally feel his level of discomfort, let alone see it, then he just blows you away with his very humble approach to life and what he believes to be important.  And to echo your comment on the lack of competetive B.S. from Jake, I recall Heath's comments from the Brokeback DVD (the Logo special I believe)... where he comments on the lack of competetiveness in Jake, and the fact that he is there to help everyone else.  I couldn't possibly be more in awe of two fine actors I've come to love as individuals and in particular as Jack and Ennis.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:46:57 pm by Seaweed727 »
"I got a boy, eight months old.... Smiles a lot."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 02:14:11 pm »
Yes, they're both such lovely young men each in his own way, aren't they?

It's funny - I find my intensely passionate crush on Jake is fading in the last couple of weeks.  It was inevitable - I think I needed the idea of him to give me something I was missing in my life at the time and now I don't need whatever that was anymore.  I'm sad in a way because it was a very enjoyable crush to have (I have quite a vivid imagination when I really set my mind to it).  But I still adore him - just in a more platonic way, now.  And Heath, too.  Again, what you said about him is right on the money.  He's so uncomfortable in his own skin, and you can just feel his discomfort when you watch him in an interview.  But he's so humble and lovable and profound, too.  I find it interesting that he seemed much more comfortable when Jake was there with him on Oprah, or perhaps it was the knowledge that Michelle would be joining him, too?  I think he's someone, very much like me, who isn't good at being the center of attention and is greatly relieved when someone else with him is.
No more beans!

Offline Seaweed727

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • We are all better when we are loved.
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2006, 05:07:25 pm »

ednbarby,

I find it interesting that he seemed much more comfortable when Jake was there with him on Oprah, or perhaps it was the knowledge that Michelle would be joining him, too?

Good observation, and I'm sure a common one.  Notice how Jake consistantly included Heath in all of the exchanges with Oprah, waiting for Heath's response, kind of encouraging it, and not just grabbing all the attention, which he could have done knowing how reserved Heath can be.  Jake strikes me as a bit of a care-taker, very sensitive to other people's feelings, and another reason why he may have been so believable as Jack Twist.

And as you say, Heath is so "humble, loveable, and profound when he gets around to letting it all out.

Too bad Oprah isn't into doing in-depth stuff, could you imagine a comprehensive hour or two on Brokeback Mountain including topic's from the making of the movie to the cast, crew, awards, response on the internet and all that navel gazing?

"I got a boy, eight months old.... Smiles a lot."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 07:08:13 pm »
Notice how Jake consistantly included Heath in all of the exchanges with Oprah, waiting for Heath's response, kind of encouraging it, and not just grabbing all the attention, which he could have done knowing how reserved Heath can be.  Jake strikes me as a bit of a care-taker, very sensitive to other people's feelings, and another reason why he may have been so believable as Jack Twist.

... could you imagine a comprehensive hour or two on Brokeback Mountain including topic's from the making of the movie to the cast, crew, awards, response on the internet and all that navel gazing?

Oh, yes, I noticed that.  He's a lovely, lovely man.  Definitely sensitive and care-taking, and also generous, which I guess goes hand in hand with those other things.  I listened to an audio interview of him a couple times that was done backstage after he won the BAFTA, and he said something that struck me as possibly the most generous thing I've ever heard someone say.  Someone asked something like how he feels about being such an object of adoration - about the fans that idolize him and fantasize about him, etc.  And he said something to the effect of "If I can provide something that someone needs like that, I'm glad to be able to do it."

Wow.

And yes, wouldn't a show like that be The Shit.  Charlie Rose or IAS, perhaps?  :)
No more beans!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 07:55:19 pm »
Too bad Oprah isn't into doing in-depth stuff, could you imagine a comprehensive hour or two on Brokeback Mountain including topic's from the making of the movie to the cast, crew, awards, response on the internet and all that navel gazing?

I remember being astonished that she only devoted half of her show to BBM.  Here she had the young, hot cast of any talk show host's dreams, and she chose to devote the second half to an actor who dressed up in drag to play somebody's aunt or something.  I truly think she was scared to death of the subject and didn't want to spend a lot of time on it. 
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 10:37:28 pm »
I truly think she was scared to death of the subject and didn't want to spend a lot of time on it.

Excellent call.  I'd say that was exactly the reason she did that.
No more beans!

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2006, 05:51:03 pm »
I remember seeing that Oprah show, and while it was great to see the cast, I did too feel that Oprah's questions were downrigh silly....I got the impression she was trying to embarrass the boys with some of her questions...but, in true professional style, they stood up to the task, and didnt let her bother them....

I caught about the last 15 minutes of it the day that it was on.   I remember Oprah asking Anne Hathaway if her character KNEW what went on all those times Jack drove up to Wyoming two, three times a year.   Anne Hathaway looked simply stunned and said something to the effect of "couldn't you TELL?"  When Oprah said No, Anne Hathaway kind of freaked out saying over and over, something to the effect of 'O my God, I DISSED Oprah"  It was a question that had been on my mind as well and on my 8th viewing, when Ennis tells Lurreen that Brokeback Mountain was a real place, her voice cracks ever so quietly and something of a tear appears in her eye.   I didn't see that at all for a long time.  So I'm really glad that I tuned in when I did.   Somthin' I calls Divine Providence!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin