Author Topic: This year's secret Dîner en Blanc in New York is...???  (Read 49209 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
This year's secret Dîner en Blanc in New York is...???
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:49:57 pm »

http://culture.wnyc.org/articles/features/2011/aug/11/dinner-parties-go-below-radar-and-public-spaces/

Dinner Parties Go Below the Radar
and Into Public Spaces

By Joy Y. Wang : WNYC Culture Producer
Thursday, August 11, 2011

2009: About 10,000 people descended onto Place de la Concorde

2010: Last year it was at the Carrousel du Louvre, stretching from the I.M. Pei pyramid to the
Tuileries. Attendance was estimated at around 12,000.

The 2011 Dîner en Blanc in Paris

Less than three weeks from now, 1,000 New Yorkers decked out in brilliant white outfits will descend on a public space for dinner. They will arrive toting tables, chairs, beverages and likely several courses. The location of the the city’s inaugural Dîner en Blanc (White Dinner) has not yet been revealed, but one thing is already certain — for every person at the dinner, 25 people will wish they were there. According to Daniel Laporte, Dîner en Blanc's New York organizer, the waiting list has already grown to 25,000 names.

“It’s like a pyramid of friends,” said Aymeric Pasquier, the son of François Pasquier, who began Dîner en Blanc 23 years ago in Paris.

The younger Pasquier lives in Montreal, where he has held the event since 2009. He will stage Dîner en Blanc in New York City on August 25.

“There is no goal except to spending an extraordinary night — an unconventional picnic — and to re-appropriate the places of the city that belong to the citizens,” Pasquier said.

While it will be the first Dîner en Blanc to be held in the U.S., the event joins an increasingly long roster of exclusive and impromptu dining options in a city where residents prize scarcity and unconventional experiences. Dinner party–devotees are taking meals outside of restaurants and staging them in below-the-radar locations or — as is the case with Dîner en Blanc — in public spaces. Whether the events are held on the L train or in a Brooklyn loft, many groups face one common problem: more people want to come than they can accommodate.

For the Gastronauts, a supper club that boasts the mission, “To thrill our clients with adventures on the food frontier,” invitations to their 60-seat dinners fill up within 15 minutes — and that’s for a club that focuses on eating traditionally shunned foods like offal, sweetbreads, and live shrimp.

“It’s not a business for us,” said Gastronauts founder Curtiss Calleo. “We don’t make any money off of this, so it wasn’t like we were pushing people to join. In fact, it’s becoming a problem that there are so many people now.”

Like the organizers of Dîner en Blanc, Calleo, an art director, has a separate day job unrelated to his culinary endeavors.

The Whisk and Ladle Supperclub founder Mark Low, along with two friends, hosts dinner parties out of a Williamsburg, Brooklyn loft that dates back to the early 1900s. Six years ago, the group started with sit-down meals for 25. Over the last few years, the guest list spiraled to include about 100 people, and now the club has a mailing list of 9,000.

“I think if we really tried to make money at it, I wouldn’t be talking about it so enthusiastically,” said Low, a college math professor.

Mike Lee, a founder of Studiofeast, works in digital marketing and recently partnered with Michael Cirino of A Razor, A Shiny Knife, to host a six-course lunch that took place on the L train.

“For New Yorkers, a lot of dining concepts are getting kind of tired,” said Lee. “We have a really unique social experience you can’t get in any restaurant, even at a high-end restaurant.”

Lee, dismayed at being unable to feed everyone who is interested in his events, recently tested a virtual solution: he hosted a Google+ hangout that allowed anyone with an Internet connection to see how the group cooked dishes served at a recent dinner.

“I think that New Yorkers are obsessed with trying to find as adventurous a way to do anything, whether it be eating or cycling or anything,” said Low. “It’s taking something and making it a little more outlandish. I think supper clubs benefit from that because our dinners are a little bit peculiar. It’s not like going to a restaurant.”

The organizers of Dîner en Blanc hope to capitalize on New Yorkers’ desire for adventure, and see the experience as beginning with the hunt for white clothes, chairs, and tables. The origins of the event are humble, though. It began simply as a dinner party that grew too large. François Pasquier suggested a public location and had everyone dress in white so they could recognize each other. In true Parisian form, the uniform was also supposed to lend a sense of fashionable elegance to the gathering.

Since then, the popularity has grown, and this year’s Paris event was spread out in two locations: 4,400 people gathering in front of Notre Dame cathedral while 6,200 convened in front of the Louvre. The organizers had reservations about bringing the event to New York this year, said Alexandra Simoes, a New York organizer and French teacher working with Laporte, who is an architect.

“At first...we were like, ‘There’s no way New Yorkers are going to carry their table and their chairs and their dinners—we will have to provide everything,'” she explained. “But Aymeric was like, ‘No, you can’t. If you do that you’ll lose the whole concept of people building their own dinner. If you have people rent their tables and their chairs onsite, then it’s just like going to the restaurants. That’s not the point.'”

Pasquier, a TV producer who dedicates half his time to organizing Dîner en Blanc, compared the experience to being a child, and deriving pleasure from having built something tangible.

“It’s a lot of preparation, and we know it,” he said, “but that’s the secret to add a lot of pleasure.”
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:24:43 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

"--a gustatory Brigadoon, equal parts mystery,
anachronism and caprice."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/dining/a-pop-up-paris-picnic-is-coming-to-new-york.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all

How 10,000 People Keep a Secret
 By LIESL SCHILLINGER
Published: July 5, 2011

DRESS CODE Notre Dame was one of two sites for Paris's Dîner en Blanc. Guests, all in white,
brought their own tables and food.

THERE are picnics, and then there are picnics.

Three weeks ago, in the golden light of an early-summer evening, thousands of Parisians dressed entirely in white converged on two of the city’s most picturesque locations — 4,400 of them in the plaza at the cathedral of Notre Dame; 6,200 in a courtyard of the Louvre — for a feast that was neither advertised nor publicly heralded. They had brought along not only their own epicurean repasts but also their own tables, chairs, glasses, silver and napery.

At midnight, after dining and dancing, they packed up their dishes, stowed their empty Champagne bottles in trash bags brought for that purpose, stooped to pick up their cigarette butts from the cobbles and departed. The landmarks were left immaculate, with no traces of the revelry of the previous three hours.

This annual event, called the Dîner en Blanc — the “dinner in white” — is like a gustatory Brigadoon, equal parts mystery, anachronism and caprice. Now attended by thousands at some of the best-known Parisian spaces, it began humbly in 1988. That year, François Pasquier, now 67, returned to Paris after a few years abroad and held a dinner party to reconnect with friends. So many wanted to come that he asked them to convene at the Bois de Boulogne and to dress in white, so they could find each other.

But while in certain circles in Paris, everybody knows about the Dîner, many Parisians have never heard of it. And despite the precision that goes into its planning, it retains an air of surprise.

For the first time, New York will have its own Dîner en Blanc, on Aug. 25, rain or shine. A thousand people — half invited, the others drawn from an online waiting list (newyork.dinerenblanc.info) — will participate in this refined flash-mob feast, at an as-yet undisclosed location in Manhattan.

The New York event is being spearheaded by Mr. Pasquier’s son, Aymeric, who lives in Montreal, where he inaugurated the Canadian version of the Dîner en Blanc in 2009. But can brawny Manhattan, with skyscrapers from top to bottom, innumerable regulations and a dearth of public spaces on a Parisian scale, possibly approximate the romance of the French pique-nique? The New York organizers, Daniel Laporte and Alexandra Simoes, are hopeful.

“The emphasis is on spontaneity, but we are making absolutely sure to be completely in accordance with all city rules,” said Ms. Simoes, an elementary school director at the Lyceum Kennedy, who volunteered for the Dîner organizing job. “But we don’t want the guests to be impacted by our concerns. The guests should only be concerned about the dress code, and the tables they’ll carry, and what kind of food they will prepare.”

Mr. Laporte, a Canadian-born architect whom Aymeric Pasquier asked to participate, said: “Everything is extremely carefully organized, because to seat a thousand people at the same moment you need a lot of planning. But the most important thing is for everyone to have the best memory of the night.”

In New York, as in Montreal, the Dîner en Blanc is being conducted openly, facilitated by Facebook and Twitter and other online aids, and coordinated with municipal authorities. But in Paris, despite the tacit approval of government officials, the Dîner is private — a massive demonstration of the power of word of mouth, and the strength of social connections. The guest list is made up entirely of friends, and friends of friends. And despite the dinner’s vast and visible attendance, it has remained discreetly under the radar. Paris is still a class-stratified society — “It’s horizontal, whereas Montreal is vertical,” Aymeric Pasquier explained — so unwritten rules of privilege have allowed secrecy to surround the event. Nobody is sure who decides, year in, year out, which people are invited to create tables for the evening.

François Pasquier calls the party-list formation a “pyramide amicale,” a friendly pyramid; trusted friends invite their own trusted friends. The event’s exclusivity was evident just before the Dîner en Blanc in Paris on June 16. As I hurried with my dinner companions along a bridge to Notre Dame last month, passersby stopped us.

“What’s going on?” a man asked. “Haven’t you heard?” joked my friend Aristide Luneau (who had invited me). “It’s the end of the world.”

One tourist asked, “Do they do this every night?” If only.

At 8 o’clock, clusters of diners emerged from the Metro or chartered buses to gather at rallying points, where they had been instructed to meet their “heads of table,” the organizers who had invited them. The site is revealed at the last moment, both to avoid gate-crashing and to preserve instantaneousness. The guests, decked out in white suits, dresses, skirts, feather boas and even wings, carried heavy picnic gear and delicacies like pâté de foie gras, poached salmon and fine cheeses — each table brings its own meal.

At about 9, with the sky still light, the site was announced. Guests hurried across bridges and side streets to reach their destination. By 9:30, all the tables had been deployed in orderly rows, according to diagrams in the possession of the heads of table, with men all along one side, women along the other. The guests quickly covered their tables with white cloths; laid out the crystal for Champagne, wine and water; the plates for hors d’oeuvres, main course and dessert; and began tucking in. 

As night fell on Notre Dame, a clergyman appeared and blessed the throng, and church bells rang out overhead; at the Louvre, opera singers serenaded the diners. At 11 in both places, diners stood on chairs and waved sparklers — signaling the end of dinner and the beginning of the dancing (to D.J.’ed music at Notre Dame, and to a brass band at the Louvre). An hour later, the frolickers switched off the merriment and packed up their tables to depart, like Cinderella, on the stroke of midnight.   

Needless to say, New York presents its own challenges. As in France, the organizers have created a fleet of “heads of table” who will collect picnickers at various meeting points around the city and shepherd them to the location. But some differences will apply. For one thing, it’s likely that Champagne will not be permitted, if the Dîner is held in a public location. For another, the proceedings are expected to end at 11.

“Even if we can’t have Champagne, it will be nice still,” Ms. Simoes said.

Mr. Laporte said, “After this year, the city will know the beauty of the Dîner,” adding, “We can show them that a big group can be very respectful.”

As in Paris, guests in New York will have a strong incentive to uphold the code of conduct. If they misbehave — for example, by bringing uninvited guests, getting too rowdy or not showing up or helping to clean —  they will receive a punishment worse than any police fine: being barred from future dinners.

“Any guest who doesn’t respect the rules of behavior will be put on a blacklist and never invited back again,” Aymeric Pasquier said.

Initially, Mr. Laporte and Ms. Simoes worried that New Yorkers would find these rules too demanding.

“But the more we talked to our New York friends,” Ms. Simoes said, “the more we realized that they were fascinated by the idea that it was difficult and special, and that you have to build your own dinner and bring your own table.”

Mr. Laporte added: “Our first impulse was to rent tables for the event, so people wouldn’t have to carry them.  But we realized that would change the spirit of the dinner too much. Part of the event is the journey there.  To think ahead, to get ready, to get the table, to prepare your picnic, to choose your outfit.  Not making it easy is part of the allure.”

newyork.dinerenblanc.info

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Reminds me a little of Truman Capote's Black and White Ball:

So, John, are you going?

They  should have gone to Capote's Black and White Ball;
for obvious reasons, they are NOT allowed to the Dîner en Blanc!

So, John, are you going?

I did apply as a lark more than a month ago, and they just send me a reply email today saying I was on the guest list--but the guest list is 20,000 people! Not likely, I'm thinking--

::)

"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them

They  should have gone to Capote's Black and White Ball;
for obvious reasons, they are NOT allowed to the Dîner en Blanc!

nice.....

keep my fingers crossed

are you actually aloud to tell  people if you were or not?

I did apply as a lark more than a month ago, and they just send me a reply email today saying I was on the guest list--but the guest list is 20,000 people! Not likely, I'm thinking--

::)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
What a cool idea!  I hope you get to go, John.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

And Meryl and Sophia well know WHERE this first secret event took place!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/26/diner-en-blanc-new-york_n_938406.html

Dîner en Blanc 2011:
The Parisian Party Comes To New York

By Jeralyn Gerba  
First Posted: 8/26/11 04:35 PM ET
Updated: 8/26/11 06:44 PM

There’s something to be said for an outdoor party that avoids rain 23 years in a row.

Thursday’s afternoon showers, a precursor to hurricane Irene, politely halted for Dîner en Blanc, an organized mob of 1,150 white-clad picnickers who descended on the World Financial Center plaza for a pop-up dinner party.

The affair, a first for NYC, is based on the Parisian party of the same name, which began in 1988 as a reunion of 100 friends (everyone wore white in order to recognize one another), that has since grown to 10,000.

It came as no surprise that the response was overwhelmingly positive. After all, NY is a city that craves the Next Secret Big Thing. One of the organizers, Sandy Safi, a calm and collected Canadian in a white tuxedo suit, recalled watching the emails pour in after a New York Times article: the waiting list numbered 31,000.

That’s a lot of baguettes. And a heck of a lot of organizing. The perfect secret location was right under our noses, and at sundown in the Financial District a slight breeze, pink sky, and gently rocking boats provided an elegant backdrop for dinner. Guests arranged tables in neat rows, plated their salads, turned on their LED votives, arranged charcuterie boards, and tied white balloons to their chairs. Jazz music played over loud speakers. Several tables of women squealed with excitement. People clinked glasses before the wine was even served. It was civilized and sophisticated.

But it was not an auspicious beginning. After signing up for the guest list a few weeks ago (the party is made up of friends, friends-of-friends, and a random assortment of strangers who register online), several confusing messages were made. Reservations were canceled after credit cards were charged (mine included). Some invitations were reinstated, and a barrage of apology messages followed.

Over the last 20 days I received no less than 19 emails, six pdf attachments, and several phone calls. And then there were the rules:

•You must dress in white (fashionably: no tee shirts, shorts, sneakers).

•You must bring your own folding table and chairs (dimensions given) You must pack your own picnic basket.

•You must bring non-disposable plates, glasses, utensils.

•You must be accompanied by a date.

•You must remain until the end of the evening.

•You must clean up all traces of dinner (bring your own garbage bag).

•You must order your wine ahead of time.

•You must meet your group organizer on time (location given on the day of the event).

•You presence is required, rain or shine.

I wasn’t sure if it would be worth all the trouble. But then I considered the party’s legacy. And the fact that it’s run by French people ... the kind that live in Paris. For whom rules are merely a suggestion of governance. Someone must have put them up to this mess of precautionary measures.

Indeed. Because NY authorities are so strict, the organizers needed to make special arrangements (instructing patrons to buy wine through their caterer) and nix others (no sparklers). Diners were charged $50 a head to help pay for permits, stanchions, and security. At a similar party for 600 in Montreal, guests paid a small amount for bus transportation. The Paris version has always been free.

With a roll of the dice I made my way to the party. Email #16 revealed the gathering place for my group - Broadway and Dey Street at 6:30p.m. I could spot my fellow picnickers, a not-so-subtle group of bankers, actors, musicians, chefs, and agency folks dressed head-to-toe in white, with hand trucks for folding tables, chairs, picnic hampers, and crates of china. It was an impressive show of commitment.

Then: the schlep. We paraded through lower Manhattan, converging with more diners until we were a motley crew of several hundred. People traded stories about last-minute shopping trips in Chinatown and showed off the finishing touches on their outfits: white suspenders, white bow ties, white sunglasses, white fedoras, white turbans. Everyone was excited and chatted easily.

We didn’t know where were going until we got there. I wandered around to get a good look at the tablescapes, picnic baskets, and costuming. Someone handed me a big goblet of champagne. There were women in long gowns and white gloves, girls in white wigs with white umbrellas, a guy with a chef toque and Where’s Waldo glasses. Plus top hats, coattails, cat ears, feathers, and angel wings.

There was plenty of merrymaking and picture-taking. And, despite a shortage of wine, there was still a nice buzz in the air.

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
How marvelous.  Too bad, John, you look so good in white!

Ha! You mean my GRAY HAIR!!!   :laugh:

Evening trip down the east harbour of New York, with Meryl and John.

;D ;D ;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
How great!  I love the location, too.  Sounds like it was definitely worth the trouble to put together.  This is a wonderful urban tradition.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/08/diner-en-blanc-photos.html#

What You Missed at
Last Night’s Dîner en Blanc

By: Jenny Miller
8/26/11 at 11:15 AM

After a day of annoyance amid thoughts of muddy shoes and the need to procure a "white, clear, or tan umbrella," Grub Street got the call with Dîner en Blanc's secret location precisely at 6 p.m. When we arrived at the World Financial Center's "winter garden," set against the harbor with a backdrop of bobbing yachts, we were happier than we thought we'd be to see rows of linen-swathed tables, branded white balloons, and 1,150 attendees clad in achromatic attire. It actually felt like a New York we'd never seen: jauntier, old-fashioned-looking. Dare we say, more French?

Though organizer Sandy Safi did admit that the weather yesterday had been "intensely concerning," she was ultimately not surprised that le dîner had been spared la pluie. "Twenty-three years and not a drop," she said of the white-dinner tradition, which began in Paris as a gathering of friends and has spread to Montreal, Quebec City, and this year, New York.

As a band played and the masts of the (conveniently color-coordinated) boats swayed against the sunset, ordinary New Yorkers happened by: jogging, pushing strollers, riding delivery bicycles. One woman, dressed in black, snapped a photo of the bright white spectacle as guests adorned with turbans, cloches, and all manner of headwear (not required, but quite popular) dug into baskets of food and bottles of wine they'd either brought or preordered. Across the way, there were the beer-y masses drinking outside of P.J. Clarke's, which was fine with Dîner's attendees and organizers. After all, what's a spectacle without spectators? Speaking of which, feel free to do a little gazing of your own in our slideshow.

"Camping Out"

And a week earlier, à Montréal:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi6EsS1PWks[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
Now that's the way to hold a picnic! How swanky.

Agreed!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
It looks amazing!

I've never heard of the event before. Thanks for posting, John!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
It does look amazing.  They picked a good location for the New York event.  The sunset over the marina is beautiful.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

The secret Dîner en Blanc 2012 in New York comes to...Lincoln Center!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 04:11:56 pm »

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/08/21/photos-a-white-out-at-lincoln-center/

Photos:
A White-Out at Lincoln Center

August 21, 2012, 10:57 AM ET

Thousands of diners attended the event, which began in France in 1988.

Diners danced after finishing their meals.

LINCOLN CENTER — It was the best-dressed flash mob New York has ever seen.

The second-annual Dîner en Blanc  descended on the plaza at Lincoln Center last night, bringing with it more than 3,000 diners clad in white from head to toe.

The event, touted as a "mysterious and refined," started in France and has taken place in 22 cities across five continents. Organized by social media and old fashioned word-of-mouth, last year's event in New York — which attracted about 1,200 people to the World Financial Center — drew over 30,000 on its waiting list, organizers said.

It's a bit of an adventure for diners, as the outdoor site is revealed at the last minute and they are expected to arrive in groups of 250 — dressed entirely in white and equipped with tables, chairs, table linens, china, crystal, silver and a gourmet dinner.

"Camping Out"

Re: The secret Dîner en Blanc 2012 in New York comes to...Lincoln Center!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

http://gothamist.com/2012/08/21/photos_diner_en_blanc_1.php#photo-1

Photos:
Thousands Wearing White
Occupy Lincoln Center
For Dîner En Blanc

By Christopher Robbins
August 21, 2012 3:54 PM

Last night 3,400 people clad in white had 30 minutes to travel to the Lincoln Center so that they could dine outside for New York's second Dîner En Blanc.  But what sets this event apart from pantless displays of conformity and the countless cloying, "spontaneous," gatherings of fun the city has to offer? "This is just more elegant, certainly more European, and the fact that nobody knew what was happening 30 minutes ago just makes it feel more special," co-organizer Gilles Amsallem said. "Also, I don't know anyone who has pulled something of this scale off in three weeks." Three weeks? Didn't they have a year? "Our original space cancelled about three weeks ago, so we had no choice but to make it work here."

We pressed Amsallem to tell us where the initial space was, especially since the Lincoln Center location struck us as a tad obvious. "I don't want to mention them, but I will say that we are very grateful to the city to help us along the way. We had to talk with the liquor authority, the fire marshal, the MTA, everyone—they all helped us get it done."

Amsallem added, "The toughest part about doing an event like this in New York City is the liquor. Everyone has to wait to buy their wine, which is a shame." While attendees brought their own food, alcohol had to be purchased in accordance with the SLA's regulations—everyone who wanted booze was required to buy it from licensed concessions.

This was confirmed by diner Kathy Meehan, who was hustling towards the serpentine line inside the Lincoln Center. "It takes an hour to get a bottle of wine. It's great otherwise; I'd just rather not wait that long for my alcohol." Some diners snuck their own in with their picnics, but at least those waiting weren't gouged: the cheapest bottle was $18, and the most expensive topped out at $31.

Couples seated next to the speakers cringed when Céline Dion's "That's The Way It Is" blared at levels unsuitable for conversation, but the same guests kicked their shoes off minutes later when the house began playing St. Germain with a violin accompaniment.

If the Lincoln Center seemed a shade You've Got Mail,  the guests didn't seem to mind. "This is excellent, this is perfect," said Haleigh Ciel, who was with her boyfriend Martin Viau. "There are just so many different people, so many different ages—there's literally every type of person here." Viau said the couple attended last year's inaugural Dîner En Blanc  with a larger group, but it proved too much of a "hassle" to coordinate.

"It's kind of stressful, not knowing where you're eating or bringing all your stuff until 30 minutes beforehand," Viau said. "But once you get here and set up, you cool off, you relax. Part of that is the setting, I mean, look at this."

"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »
It would be great fun to attend one of these white dinners.

Love the pictures.

Thanks, John.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »

It would be great fun to attend one of these white dinners.

Love the pictures.

Thanks, John.

Thanks, Sonja!

:)

"Camping Out"

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57497066/diner-en-blanc-takes-new-york-city/

CBS NEWS VIDEO
Dîner en blanc  
takes New York City

August 21, 2012 9:28 AM

Click for video:

(CBS News) More than 3,000 people dressed entirely in white overtook the courtyard of New York City's Lincoln Center for five hours last night for quite an unusual social event. Part flash-mob, part-dinner party, not even the guests knew where this exclusive event would take place until an hour before it began.

The event, known as Dîner en Blanc,  originated in Paris in 1988 and has seen significant growth internationally, particularly in the age of social media. New York's first Dîner en Blanc  took place last year at the World Financial Center in Manhattan's Battery Park.

"After New York, the buzz was worldwide," event organizer Sandy Safi told "CBS This Morning," in a report that aired Tuesday.

This year, events are scheduled in more than 22 cities on five continents.

"The guests are very involved in the event," Safi said. Guests can sign up online and pay $25 to attend. Monday night, most brought their own food, utensils and tables and chairs. But first, diners met at points across the city to find out the exact location. Each group was assigned a leader who led the way to the secret location. Only about 20 production staffers and 100 volunteers were necessary to orchestrate the event.

After enjoying dinner Monday night, guests hit the dance floor before heading home after what Safi deemed another successful Dîner en Blanc.

"I feel fantastic," she said, "I feel that everybody had a good time."

"Camping Out"

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »

http://newyork.untappedcities.com/2012/08/21/the-2012-nyc-diner-en-blanc-lincoln-center-gets-down/

The 2012 NYC Dîner en Blanc :
Lincoln Center Gets Down

By Michelle Young
August 21, 2012 12:22 am

Lincoln Center has never gotten down quite like this. Tonight, 3000 revelers took in the night at the NYC Dîner en Blanc,  descending upon the plaza and its famous fountain for four hours, eating, drinking and dancing surrounded by the three pillars of Lincoln Center–the Metropolitan Opera House, Avery Fisher Hall and the American Ballet Theater. The plaza turned into such a rocking dance floor even the security guards got into it.

I have been fortunate to have been involved in the Dîner en Blanc  in various incarnations–as an attendee in the mythical Paris Dîner en Blanc  for the last three years and in the NYC debut last year. I thought that this year’s dinners at Notre Dame, Place des Vosges and Versailles would be hard to beat, but the dance party at the NYC dinner tonight Lincoln Center may have trumped that.

I was a group leader for NYC’s second production of the famous pop-up white dinners. In charge of 250 attendees, I witnessed first hand this year how the events come together. At the top of the pyramid, the Dîner en Blanc  International partnered with NYC-based company, French Tuesdays, to produce the event and select the location, caterers and other details. There were 10 group leaders, myself included, each in charge of 4-5 table leaders. Each table leader was in charge of 60 guests, or 30 tables.

The location is of course kept a secret by the organizers and group leaders until the very last moment. Assigned a designated meet up location for my group, I separated my table leaders out to specific corners and landmarks in our pickup location at Broadway/Lafayette. Staggered, we entered into the subway station and headed en masse on the B/D trains up to Columbus Circle, unleashing a flood of white up Columbus Avenue, carrying all the accoutrements needed for this dinner–tables, chairs, food, table settings and more. At precisely 6:30pm, we took over the Lincoln Center Plaza.

New York City is a difficult city to plan large-scale events, due to its rules on public gathering, alcohol, food, noise, how late an event can go. So for a dinner that is supposed to be spontaneous, a large amount of behind the scenes planning needs to take place–and more importantly, the location has to be majestic or the event could run the risk of feeling catered and corporate. In New York City, all of the registration fees collected go into the rentals for the location, which range between $20,000 and $40,000. Was it worth it? I’ll let you be the judge, but you probably won’t see this happening at Lincoln Center again anytime soon.

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »
Wonderful!  Next year, dinner in plaid?  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:19 pm »
My goodness. I want to come back to New York!!! What a lot of gorgeous people on a perfectly silly and magical mission. Can it get any more wonderful?

:o

Hi guys. I still exist, by the way.  ::)

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 06:45:42 pm »

Wonderful!  Next year, dinner in plaid?  ;D

Sure! As long as it's white-on-white plaid!   ;D

Last year, approx. 1,200 people, this year 3,400--and with a 30,000 plus waiting list, it won't be long till we match the Parisians with 10,000 dîners en blanc --rather, we could,  if we knew where to put them. New York is not Paris (alas!) and we don't have the magnificent Places, Plazas, Piazzas, Squares, of other major cities. I certainly don't envy the Dîner en Blanc  International people in having to picking the new 'secret' location next year!

:-\

"Camping Out"

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 06:47:10 pm »

My goodness. I want to come back to New York!!! What a lot of gorgeous people on a perfectly silly and magical mission. Can it get any more wonderful?

Hi guys. I still exist, by the way.   ::)

:D

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 08:38:50 pm »
Anke!  How great to see you!  :-*

Last year, approx. 1,200 people, this year 3,400--and with a 30,000 plus waiting list, it won't be long till we match the Parisians with 10,000 dîners en blanc --rather, we could,  if we knew where to put them. New York is not Paris (alas!) and we don't have the magnificent Places, Plazas, Piazzas, Squares, of other major cities. I certainly don't envy the Dîner en Blanc  International people in having to picking the new 'secret' location next year!

Finally, a good use for Governor's Island?   :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:42 pm »

Anke!  How great to see you!  :-*

Finally, a good use for Governor's Island?   :D

You are SO smart!

8) 8)

"Camping Out"

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 09:26:55 pm »

Time Lapse en Blanc!

:D ;D
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaLwtsyJQAc[/youtube]
Published on Aug 21, 2012 by UntappedCities

"Camping Out"

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Diner-en-Blanc-Lincoln-Center-Flash-Mob-Secret-Dinner-166835386.html

Thousands Gather for
NYC Secret Outdoor Dinner

The venue was a surprise until just before
the flash-mob feast started at 7 p.m.

By Verena Dobnik
Monday, Aug 20, 2012 Updated 10:18 PM EDT

An estimated 3,000 people all dressed in white attend a flash mob feast on Monday, Aug. 20 at
Lincoln Center.

Guess who came to dinner?

On Monday night in Manhattan, the answer was 3,000 people — all dressed in white, descending on the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

The venue was a surprise until just before the flash-mob feast started at 7 p.m. Registered guests got emails telling them where to go.

They brought chairs, tables, food and drink, plus candles and snow white balloons sailing high above the main plaza at sunset. Row after white row filled the space around a high-shooting fountain — free of charge, with legal permits.

Matthew Karl Gale wore a sailor hat as he sat at a small white-covered table he bought on Craigslist.

"I looked for 'small white folding table,'" the 33-year-old eyewear designer from Brooklyn said with a grin.

His tattooed dinner partner, biotech industry employee Cassandra McCall, also 33, came all the way from San Francisco to join the revelry, explaining, "I love the group dynamic of all these people together, in white — it's enchanting."

Gale said he enjoyed "the difficulty of getting everything together — the food, the table — and bringing it here on the subway."

Their table was filled with cheese, a couscous dish, prosciutto, grapes and more — eaten with real home cutlery and linen napkins that came from their wicker basket. There were white roses for the table.

And then, Gale added, "you have this unique, quirky experience, and it's over."

Pop-up picnics will also be staged in Philadelphia on Thursday, Chicago on Friday, and next week in Vancouver, Singapore and Brisbane, Australia, followed by about a dozen other cities months from now.

Rob Robinson and Gai Spann, both 43, brought their own strobe light, plus some pearls and diamonds that represent his college fraternity and her sorority.

"We're both into food and wine, and dressing up," said Spann, who owns a travel agency and wore a lacy white head ornament. He runs his own e-commerce company.

Next year, they plan to fly to Paris, where Diner en Blanc  — French for dinner in white — was started in 1988 by a group of friends and is repeated each year. The volunteer event grew by word of mouth and social media to dozens of cities worldwide.

This year was the second New York repast; the first was held last August on a plaza near the World Trade Center.

"Camping Out"

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 05:40:32 pm »

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/08/diner-en-blanc-2012-photos-slideshow.html#

Last Night’s
Dîner en Blanc

Clear Skies and a
Color-Coordinated Setting

By Devra Ferst
8/21/12 at 1:30 PM

Gramercy Tavern chef Michael Anthony attended.

Though skies stayed clear this year, it was once again easy to be both enchanted and frustrated by Le Dîner en Blanc , the Paris-imported picnic that popped up in New York for the second time last night. After meeting at designated locations around the city, diners were led to a destination kept secret until they arrived: the plaza at Lincoln Center, whose colorless cement columns nicely complemented the white outfits, tablecloths, and chairs.

For those given the opportunity (via an online lottery) to buy tickets, rules and restrictions abounded: Guests had to provide their own tables, white chairs, and tablecloths, and bring dinner (or order one for a hefty fee), traveling en masse via subway while clutching these props and defending their whites against the commuter crush. Yet, the collective struggle “is all part of the event,” said co-organizer Sandy Safi. And so is the reward — in New York in particular, a sea of people all in white is a rare and elegant spectacle.

One guest, Jeni Cruz, carried her white maltipoo Olivia, who wore a white flower behind one fluffy ear. “She’s white, little, and she’s family,” Cruz said, explaining her choice of dinner date.

Atop a canvas of pristine bleached tablecloths, the flowers, candelabras, and food brought by guests provided pops of color. Many toted charcuterie and cheese, while the more ambitious tucked into bowls of homemade watermelon gazpacho, a three-tiered tower of sushi, platters of poached lobster, or ramekins of jewel-toned salmon tartare.

While most people seemed to enjoy the evening — which evolved into a clublike dance party after dinner — a few who had attended last year’s Dîner  at the World Financial Center observed that Lincoln Center lacked the romantic backdrop of the bobbing yachts and a sunset over the Hudson. Others said the increase from 1,200 to 3,000 guests made for a less intimate night. In the end, the evening was perhaps best summed up by a nearby diner, who opined, “This is wildly annoying and wildly beautiful.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

Hi guys. I still exist, by the way.  ::)

Formidable!! Hi Anke! I miss seeing you in New York! My sheep is alive and well!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 10:30:53 am »
They had one of these in Philadelphia last evening--and it was a damn nuisance. It was held on the plaza on the west side of City Hall, which made it, to say the least, a great inconvenience at rush hour to people who ordinarily use the subway entrance on the west side of City Hall. Like me. ...

I did see one very cute young guy with an olive complexion and scruff, and I wondered where he got the white suit.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Re: This year's secret Dîner en Blanc in New York is...???
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 03:15:32 pm »
They had one of these in Philadelphia last evening--and it was a damn nuisance. It was held on the plaza on the west side of City Hall, which made it, to say the least, a great inconvenience at rush hour to people who ordinarily use the subway entrance on the west side of City Hall. Like me. ...

I did see one very cute young guy with an olive complexion and scruff, and I wondered where he got the white suit.

I guess it can be annoying Jeff--they seem to have a thing about it doing it on a weekday evening (to get yourself out of the realm of the everyday) and (for me) super annoying--they never tell you WHERE the event is set--until the last minute. People congregate in one location, then (with your bags of stuff at the ready) sprint to the final destination. Exciting for some, but bothersome to others.

Oh well!   ::) ::)

[youtube=1100,620]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_8lK8q-CQ[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0_8lK8q-CQ

Le Dîner en Blanc - New York 2016

Le Dîner en Blanc
Published on Nov 10, 2016

Official Video of the sixth edition of Le Dîner en Blanc - New York held on September 15, 2016. More than 5000 friends dressed beautifully in white, took over Robert F Wagner, Jr Park to dine, dance, mingle and celebrate the spirit of Le Dîner en Blanc!

FYI: The next Dîner en Blanc/NYC 2018 is Monday, September 17.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:32:23 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 07:17:17 pm »
So,  it's like a flashmob, but in addition to the music and dancing there's food and drink, and  everyone wears white?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:30 pm »

I guess it can be annoying Jeff--they seem to have a thing about it doing it on a weekday evening (to get yourself out of the realm of the everyday) and (for me) super annoying--they never tell you WHERE the event is set--until the last minute. People congregate in one location, then (with your bags of stuff at the ready) sprint to the final destination. Exciting for some, but bothersome to others.

Oh well!   ::) ::)

I remember you mentioning that before. Actually, you could say I'm making an assumption about the location, because the police had the whole plaza blocked off with the portable fences they use for crowd control when there is a parade. But I also heard a police officer tell some that the plaza was closed for a special event.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 08:24:11 pm »
So,  it's like a flashmob, but in addition to the music and dancing there's food and drink, and  everyone wears white?

I couldn't do it. I might try a diner en noir, because black is so slimming. ...

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 08:35:01 pm »

I couldn't do it. I might try a diner en noir, because black is so slimming. ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 11:18:40 am »

I agree with you Jeff, but not because of black being slimming.   Because I know whenever I wear white, I manage to spill something on it.  at least with black, the stain wouldn't show!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!