Author Topic: The Upcoming, Fall 2011, US TV Season  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
The Upcoming, Fall 2011, US TV Season
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:19:14 pm »
I'm unenthusiastic about the upcoming fall TV season. I may be ripe for some drastic changes in my viewing habits.

I'm wondering whether it's time to put C.S.I. out of its misery?  :(  Laurence Fishburne's Dr. Ray Langston is gone. I liked Dr. Ray, but not as the center of the show. Marg Helgenberger is leaving midseason, and that leaves Greg and Nicky, but they can't really carry the show (except in slash fanfiction  ;D ). Sara is back; I never had any objection to Sara as part of the team, but I never "bought" the Sara-Griss pairing. Lady Heather was so much more right for Griss. Ted Danson is being added to the cast. (  :o ) I've always thought that when Griss left, they should have made Catharine the center of the show. I think Marg could have carried if off easily. I will check it out, but I will also have to check out what's on opposite of it.  8)

One positive note: A "scoop" article in the Aug. 29--Sept. 11 issue of TV Guide says Griss will be back to help with Catharine's exit; Nicky is cited as the source.

My days with Law & Order: SVU may be numbered. After many years I'm heavily invested in Eliot Stabler and Olivia Benson as the central characters, but with Christopher Meloni gone I'm not sure I'm interested in investing in their replacements. Danny Pino, Stabler's replacement, is a walking Hispanic wet dream, but still. ... I will have to check out the competition. Or maybe I should just use that hour to read. Or, if the show is still on at 10 p.m., maybe I should just go to bed.  ???

I was really turned off by the way the creators chose to end the first season of Hawaii Five-O last spring. Quite possibly, even probably, I'm just tired of "cliff-hanger" season endings altogether. I just groaned inwardly at the staleness of having the season end with the central character in deep trouble. I didn't at all like the twist that had Jean Smart's governor character turn out to be corrupt, and then she was murdered and McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) got blamed for it. McGarrett is the central character/O'Loughlin is the nominal star of the show; we know McGarrett didn't do it, and we know he's going to get out of it with the help of his Five-O colleagues. I'm not particularly interested in how he gets out of it. Plus, the "scoop" TV Guide article that I mentioned in connection with C.S.I. indicates that McGarrett will be out of his trouble by Halloween. The source for that information is the show's executive producer. McGarrett and Danny (Scott Caan) are still a dream slash pair for me  ;D but I may just skip the first couple of episodes till this McGarrett-accused-of-murdering-the-governor business blows over.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: The Upcoming, Fall 2011, US TV Season
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:56:44 pm »
Oh, yes. I'm also not sure how I feel about The Mentalist, where it appears we begin the season with Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) in jail, accused of murdering Red John. I'm somewhat more interested in seeing how he gets out of that, but only a little more interested.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:05:57 pm »
Oh, yes. I'm also not sure how I feel about The Mentalist, where it appears we begin the season with Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) in jail, accused of murdering Red John. I'm somewhat more interested in seeing how he gets out of that, but only a little more interested.  :-\
Did you see Baker on The Guardian? I really, really liked that show. The Mentalist, on the other hand, I think is just annoying. O0

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »

I'm wondering whether it's time to put C.S.I. out of its misery? 

I vote yes  ;D

My days with Law & Order: SVU may be numbered. After many years I'm heavily invested in Eliot Stabler and Olivia Benson as the central characters, but with Christopher Meloni gone I'm not sure I'm interested in investing in their replacements. Danny Pino, Stabler's replacement, is a walking Hispanic wet dream, but still. ... I will have to check out the competition. Or maybe I should just use that hour to read. Or, if the show is still on at 10 p.m., maybe I should just go to bed.  ???

or watch re-runs of OZ :P

I was really turned off by the way the creators chose to end the first season of Hawaii Five-O last spring. Quite possibly, even probably, I'm just tired of "cliff-hanger" season endings altogether. I just groaned inwardly at the staleness of having the season end with the central character in deep trouble. I didn't at all like the twist that had Jean Smart's governor character turn out to be corrupt, and then she was murdered and McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) got blamed for it. McGarrett is the central character/O'Loughlin is the nominal star of the show; we know McGarrett didn't do it, and we know he's going to get out of it with the help of his Five-O colleagues. I'm not particularly interested in how he gets out of it. Plus, the "scoop" TV Guide article that I mentioned in connection with C.S.I. indicates that McGarrett will be out of his trouble by Halloween. The source for that information is the show's executive producer. McGarrett and Danny (Scott Caan) are still a dream slash pair for me   but I may just skip the first couple of episodes till this McGarrett-accused-of-murdering-the-governor business blows over
Another show I haven´t seen a single episode of but I really liked Alex on "Moonlight".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
Did you see Baker on The Guardian? I really, really liked that show.

Yes, I watched it faithfully. I especially remember an episode where he was filmed from beneath swimming in a red Speedo. ...  8)

The Mentalist, on the other hand, I think is just annoying. O0

I disagree. I rather like it. I've come to like all the supporting characters, Lisbon, Van Pelt, Rigsby, and Cho--especially Cho and his deadpan delivery, where he seems to be channeling Det. Joe Friday from the old, old (1960s) cop show Dragnet.

But here again, we ended the season with the central character/star of the show in deep trouble, which we know he will get out of because without him there is no show.

Argh!!! Enough already!!!!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »
Oor watch re-runs of OZ :P

Doesn't interest me. I'm not sure it's on in reruns, but I know at least some of it is available on DVD. But this is a situation where I'm a great fan of Christopher Meloni as Eliot Stabler yet I'm not particularly interested in him in any other roles.

I really liked Alex on "Moonlight".

Bought the series as soon as it became available on DVD. I loved him and Sophia Myles together--I didn't even care that it was a hetero romance!  :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 01:02:37 am »
Yes, I watched it faithfully. I especially remember an episode where he was filmed from beneath swimming in a red Speedo. ...  8)

I think I remember that too...what a coincidence  O0

I disagree. I rather like it. I've come to like all the supporting characters, Lisbon, Van Pelt, Rigsby, and Cho--especially Cho and his deadpan delivery, where he seems to be channeling Det. Joe Friday from the old, old (1960s) cop show Dragnet.

But here again, we ended the season with the central character/star of the show in deep trouble, which we know he will get out of because without him there is no show.

Argh!!! Enough already!!!!  :laugh:
I have no problem with the supporting characters, rather it is Simon Baker´s character I don´t like, which is a shame because I was so hyped before the series, being a big fan of The Guardian and all. But he is too smug and too much of a besserwisser and I find myself wanting to punch his nose most of the time  :laugh:

I agree with many shows being too predictable and I often find myself longing for something we haven´t seen a thousand times before. But hey - keep your fingers crossed he´ll die cause they can always bring him back (Remember of Bobby Ewing on Dallas ?) :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 02:02:53 am »
I have no problem with the supporting characters, rather it is Simon Baker´s character I don´t like, which is a shame because I was so hyped before the series, being a big fan of The Guardian and all. But he is too smug and too much of a besserwisser and I find myself wanting to punch his nose most of the time  :laugh:

Interesting. That doesn't particularly bother me, I guess because I think he's supposed to be that way. I presume know-it-all is a reasonable English equivalent to besserwisser.  :laugh: