Author Topic: How many U.S. States have you visited?  (Read 62109 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: How many U.S. States have you visited?
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 04:51:02 pm »
btw what is the difference between "capital" and capitol"?

It's very confusing. 

"Capital" refers to a city or town that is the seat of government; to a capital letter as opposed to a lowercase letter; and to wealth or resources.  "Capital" can also be an adjective (i.e. capital city, capital letter).

"Capitol" refers primarily to the building in Washington, D.C., in which Congress sits or to similar buildings used by state legislatures.

So, you could say that the Capitol is in the capital. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 04:56:34 pm »
It's very confusing. 

"Capital" refers to a city or town that is the seat of government; to a capital letter as opposed to a lowercase letter; and to wealth or resources.  "Capital" can also be an adjective (i.e. capital city, capital letter).

"Capitol" refers primarily to the building in Washington, D.C., in which Congress sits or to similar buildings used by state legislatures.

So, you could say that the Capitol is in the capital. 

Thanks, Paul. Or should I say: Oh, capital, Paul, capital!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 05:02:28 pm »
From your description Indiana sounds similar to Pennsylvania ( a state I liked very much).

Indiana and Pennsylvania are very similar, Monika. Pennsylvania reminds me of Indiana every time I go there. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:15 am »
btw what is the difference between "capital" and capitol"?

Great question, Monika.

I've also wondered that many a time.

ETA: thanks for the explanation, Paul.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 11:03:35 am »
I learned to remember that "capitol" referred to the actual building by associating it with the "o" in dome.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2011, 08:17:56 am »
I learned to remember that "capitol" referred to the actual building by associating it with the "o" in dome.

Kind of like remembering that the "principal" is your pal. Heh heh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:22 am »

For me it was thinking of the top of a column, and capitol buildings frequently have lots of Greek columns.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 10:43:46 pm »

For me it was thinking of the top of a column, and capitol buildings frequently have lots of Greek columns.

The Capitol

"What do you think--do you like it?"

"Capital!"

capital  adjective

of the very best kind <a truly capital  idea, which I highly endorse>

Synonyms A-OK, A1, awesome, bang-up, banner, beautiful, blue-chip, blue-ribbon, boffo, bonny (also bonnie) [chiefly British], boss [slang], brag, brave, bully, bumper, capital, choice, classic, cool [slang], corking, crackerjack, cracking, dandy, divine, dope [slang], down [slang], dynamite, fab, fabulous, famous, fantabulous [slang], fantastic, fine, first-class, first-rate, first-string, five-star, four-star, frontline, gangbusters (also gangbuster), gilt-edged (or gilt-edge), gone [slang], grand, great, groovy, heavenly, high-class, hot, hype [slang], immense, jim-dandy, keen, lovely, marvelous (or marvellous), mean, neat, nifty, noble, number one (also No. 1), numero uno, out-of-sight [slang], par excellence, peachy, peachy keen, phat [slang], prime, primo [slang], prize, prizewinning, quality, radical [slang], righteous [slang], sensational, slick, splendid, stellar, sterling, superb, superior, superlative, supernal, swell, terrific, tip-top, top, top-flight, top-notch, top-of-the-line, topping [chiefly British], top-shelf, unsurpassed, wizard [chiefly British], wonderful

Related Words acceptable, adequate, all right, decent, good, OK (or okay), passable, satisfactory, tolerable; better, exceptional, fancy, high-grade, high-test, premium, select, special, superfine; classical, standard, traditional

Near Antonyms bad, inferior, low-grade, substandard, unsatisfactory; mediocre, middling, second-class, second-rate

Antonyms atrocious, awful, execrable, lousy, pathetic, poor, rotten, terrible, vile, wretched

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"