Author Topic: A Brokeback Anniversary  (Read 3961 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
A Brokeback Anniversary
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »
I thought some of you here might like to be reminded that an important Brokeback anniversary will shortly be upon us. This is the anniversary of the very first time that Brokeback Mountain was shown to the general public. This took place at the Venice Film Festival in the Palazzo del Cinema on Sept. 2, 2005. Below are some photographs from that momentous day. You'll have to scroll down a little as they form part of a tribute to Heath Ledger. My favorite is  #4 where Heath, Ang and Jake are seated, looking pleasantly relaxed and happy, as they wait for the curtain to go up on their masterpiece:

http://heathledger.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=3

If others have their own mementos of that day, do please post them here,.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A Brokeback Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »
I thought some of you here might like to be reminded that an important Brokeback anniversary will shortly be upon us. This is the anniversary of the very first time that Brokeback Mountain was shown to the general public. This took place at the Venice Film Festival in the Palazzo del Cinema on Sept. 2, 2005. Below are some photographs from that momentous day. You'll have to scroll down a little as they form part of a tribute to Heath Ledger. My favorite is  #4 where Heath, Ang and Jake are seated, looking pleasantly relaxed and happy, as they wait for the curtain to go up on their masterpiece:

http://heathledger.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=3

If others have their own mementos of that day, do please post them here,.

Here is the pic:

The showing of BBM in Venice always starts a new year of upcoming anniversaries (inevitabley, since it was the first public screening ever). A couple of months forward, and the first Brokies will have their sixth anniversary, when it opened in selected theaters in December.

Tell you what: when I saw it for the first time (March 21st 2006) I thought that a four year separation is a bit too long. I thought in four years people are able to get over pretty much anything.

Here I am, five and a half years later. So much for my four years theory.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:45 pm »
Chrissi, you saw it for the first time on my birthday.  8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »
I love how Heath and Jake have the same gesture with their hands, almost to hide too big of a smile!  And those smiles are so wide you see teeth you usually don't, and those teeth recede in just the same place!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

Tell you what: when I saw it for the first time (March 21st 2006) I thought that a four year separation is a bit too long. I thought in four years people are able to get over pretty much anything.

Here I am, five and a half years later. So much for my four years theory.

Amen, friend!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »
I love how Heath and Jake have the same gesture with their hands, almost to hide too big of a smile!  And those smiles are so wide you see teeth you usually don't, and those teeth recede in just the same place!

Spot on Andrew. ;D

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:07:25 pm »
I came across this anonymous review of the film's premiere while rummaging around in my files earlier today.  I particularly like the writer's  prediction in the final sentence:

It was a real ordeal to get into the screening. The anticipation was palpable. The film arrived surrounded by a plethora of innuendo. "A gay western" "Heath and Jake's hot scenes" As soon
as the film started every imaginable preconception flew out of the auditorium. This is a remarkable, moving and powerful love story. The setting is that of a modern western "The Last
Picture Show" comes to mind. Ang Lee's attention to detail verges on science fiction. You can actually smell the place. Extraordinary. I'm not going to reveal anything about the story -
Gian Luigi Rondi a legendary Italian film critic, revealed the ending to a television audience, what was he thinking?! - The film will be enjoyed much more allowing the story to unfold
without having passages underlined and attention drawn to this or that particular. I felt compelled to write this comment because I'm overwhelmed. It has changed my perception, I must
confess, about certain aspect of same sex love because I didn't think of same sex when I was watching it, I saw two human beings (amazing performances by both actors)I have the feeling
"Brokeback Mountain" will make history, deservedly so.

As well, Penthesilea has kindly reposted my favourite picture from the collection I originally posted. However, don't overlook #6, the photograph of Heath's shoes. What does this tell us about Heath, I wonder?