Author Topic: The Iron Camp Cook Halloween Challenge!  (Read 46616 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: The Iron Camp Cook Halloween Challenge!
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 08:40:44 am »
Krautwickel!

Kåldolmar!   ;D

That's exactly what I had in mind, Chrissi!

There's another Swedish dish where you chop the cabbage and layer it with the minced meat in an oven pan. The cabbage on the bottom and top, meat in between. Then bake it in the oven. We had it in school. That's one of the very few (probably the only one) traditional Swedish dishes that I didn't find revolting.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 03:27:00 pm »
Oh, I just love seeing these international recipes! Might you let us know what kind of herbs you use in the cabbage rolls? If I recall, the seasonings really make the dish. Do you use caraway seed?

I am tempted to make these with chard rather than cabbage because the kind of cabbage available in our stores has a tight head of leaves and doesn't roll up nicely. In the US we tend to put a lot of tomato sauce in our cabbage rolls, which I don't think really belongs there.

Another dish that uses cabbage (if you're a purist) is...fish tacos!!! There's a whole thread devoted to these goodies around here.

I seem to recall that Serious posted a long list of things you can do with cabbage. I'll try to unbury it.

I'm not a big fan of Savoy cabbage either, Chrissi, but there is one good recipe I like that uses it. It's veal saltimbocca.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 03:37:22 pm »
Lee, here's the kind of cabbage we use in Sweden:

I've never made this dish, but what I think you do is boil the cabbage leaves first, so they soften, and then use them to wrap the meat. It's a labor intensive dish, hence probably the simplified variation with layers.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »
That looks like the same kind we use in the U.S., Sonja.

Now, here are Katherine's ideas for cabbage:

I love cabbage, because it is nutritious, cheap and easy (especially if you buy those pre-chopped bags). The fresh farm-market stuff should be really good. Here are a few ideas:

Cut the cabbage in chunks, toss it with olive oil and roast it in the oven.

Make the traditional Irish dish colecannon: add boiled cabbage and onions to mashed potatoes. I also add grated cheddar.

Asian stir fry: Shredded cabbage and onions, red peppers, carrots sauteed in Asian flavors: peanut and sesame oil, garlic, rice wine or vinegar or fish sauce, soy sauce. Add shredded chicken. You can add rice or pasta to this, or just have the vegetables and chicken.

Cabbage soup: saute chopped onions, add flour to make roux, cook until roux is golden, add chicken broth, then add chopped potatoes, chopped ham, when potatoes are almost tender add shredded cabbage, cook until cabbage softens.

Chopped salad: chop lettuce into small pieces. Add shredded cabbage and whatever else you want in the salad, also finely chopped.

Also, when I make fish tacos I always top them with Southwestern cole slaw. I just mix shredded cabbage with chipotle-ranch dressing. Even my son loves it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »
The other day I watched the teen version of "Chopped" on the Food Channel. I always find this show fascinating but when they line up people and eliminate, or "chop" one of them from competition, I find that excessively cruel. Especially when you have to watch the person walking away dejectedly and there is an interview with them about the experience of being "chopped." Maybe I am too much of a softie. It was doubly bad watching these brilliant teen chefs being chopped.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »
Oh, I just love seeing these international recipes! Might you let us know what kind of herbs you use in the cabbage rolls? If I recall, the seasonings really make the dish. Do you use caraway seed?

I'm sorry to dissapoint. I never made the dish myself. I hated it as a kid, and have eaten it maybe three or four times as an adult. It's something I really have to have a craving for, otherwise I still don't like it. You can buy the ready to stew rolls in the butchery, which is what I do since I'm the only one in the family who eats it at all. That way it's still home-made, or at least hand-made, since the butchery makes the rolls themselves. But I don't have the work. ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2013, 04:09:06 pm »

Don't ask a Kraut what to do with it. Too easy ;) :laugh:

Krautwickel!
In English stuffed cabbage or cabbage rolls.
It's white cabbage wrapped around a filling of minced meat, herbs, onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stew the rolls and serve with gravy and (mashed) potatoes.

The rolls ready to be stewed:

The whole dish:

You can also take savoy cabbage instead of white cabbage. But eww, eww, eww - who in their right mind would want that? ;) Savoy cabbage is just yuck.

Now I'm curious what the Americans come up with. Do you know cabbage rolls at all? What else could one do with the two ingredients?

Of course we have stuffed cabbage!  :P  And stuffed peppers.  :P I really don't care much for either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »
Here's one last Halloween challenge for you all:

Split peas
Peppers (sweet or hot)
Yogurt

Allons-y to the kitchen!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »
In honor of Throwback Thursday, we present for an encore the recipe of Sweet Potato Splendor, submitted by Ellenemo!

Sweet Potato Splendor

Take fresh sweet potatoes, wash them and cut them into bite size chunks.  
Rub them lightly with olive oil, and spread them in a baking dish.  
Put them in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  

Pull the pan out of the oven, and with a spatula, loosen the sweet potato chunks from the pan, and flip them around.  
Pour some apple juice in the pan.  Not much, just enough to mostly have a thin layer of it on the bottom of the pan.  
Chop up some walnuts, not finely, just enough to not have really big chunks.  And not too many, just enough to add a little sumpsumpn to the roasted sweet potatoes.  
Also sprinkle in a small amount of salt, and a light amount of either powdered ginger, or if you gots it, chopped candied ginger.  
With the spatula, blend all this, and spread it around the pan.  
As you are blending, add more apple juice, if necessary, to coat all of it.  

Put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes, pulling it out halfway through to flip and check.  
Keep baking until the sweet potato is cooked through.  

Depending on the amount of liquid, the heat of the oven, the age of the sweet potatoes, and other factors, this will either turn out with a delightful roasted and glazed quality, with every sweet potato jewel and every walnut crumb glazed in rich apple goodness, or it will turn into a mush, also very delicious, or somewhere in between.  
Wherever it ends up on the consistency spectrum, it will be delicious and have lots of vitamin A.  
If it's mushy, you can eat it in a bowl with a little half and half poured on.  
Yum.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 01:51:34 am »
In honor of Throwback Thursday, we present for an encore the recipe of Sweet Potato Splendor, submitted by Ellenemo!

Question: what about peeling the sweet potatoes? Did Clarissa forget to mention it or are they used with peel?

What would you recommend to add instead of walnuts (or any kind of nuts)? Whate else would fit with this? Raisins? Orange slices? Cornflakes (before serving, so they don't get soggy)?

And while we're at it, what else except nuts has that lovely crunch to it? Cornflakes are nice, but they soak up so quickly and then are yuck.