Author Topic: New inventions in our lifetime........  (Read 38166 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: New inventions in our lifetime........
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2007, 01:04:24 pm »
Except the credit card companies are taking their own little 'swipe' (fees) with each little transaction — driving prices up for consumers + hurting small businesses.    :-\

Sure enough! Which is why I still pay cash for groceries and such.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2007, 02:11:51 pm »
A lot of what I am going to write may have been mentioned before.
These are things I can remember when they were new!

Casette Tapes (before we had 8 tracks)
VCR's (does anyone remember the Beta's?)
DVD's
CD's and CD Players. (my daughter is fascinated with albums. She thinks they are the wierdest things)
Microwaves
touchtone phones
Colored TV (we didn't have one until 1974. I know they were around longer but us hillbillys couldn't afford one)
Coffee Makers
Answering Machines
Caller ID
DVR
Digital Camera
Video Games ( I had Pong LOL)
MP3 players
Boom Boxes (before these came along in the early 80's we had transistor radio's)
Digital clocks
portable phones (before these we had streched out our phone cord to like 15 ft trying to get in the closet or outside for privacy)
Light Beer
Diet Coke (before this there was just TAB bleeeech)
Thats all I can think of now! ;D

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »
Whatever happened to transistor radios anyway? Do they still make them?  :laugh:

A long time ago, I remember hearing a parody of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." Instead of, "And a partridge in a pear tree," the parody had, "And a Japanese transistor radio."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2007, 03:57:33 am »
Whatever happened to transistor radios anyway? Do they still make them?  :laugh:

A long time ago, I remember hearing a parody of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." Instead of, "And a partridge in a pear tree," the parody had, "And a Japanese transistor radio."  ;D

Transistor radios. What were those? I remember the word but it's been so long I forgot what it means.  :laugh:

Is that those radios that lit up orange inside when we turned them on? And it took about 5 minutes before they started working?

I remember the TV sets doing this. They were transistor too weren't they? Or was that vacuum tubes?  ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2007, 06:29:16 am »
Transistor radios. What were those? I remember the word but it's been so long I forgot what it means.  :laugh:

Is that those radios that lit up orange inside when we turned them on? And it took about 5 minutes before they started working?

I remember the TV sets doing this. They were transistor too weren't they? Or was that vacuum tubes?  ???
I think those were the vacuum tubes your thinking of David.
The old radios from the 30's and 40's were like that.
Transistor radio's were really the first handheld types of radios. Usually black plastic with a siver screen over the one speaker it had and an antennea that was about 12 feet long! LOL
I'll see if I can find a pic to post!

Here's a link that has pictures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor_radio

The ones shown are a bit older than the ones I remember but you get the Idea
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:07 am »
Transistor Radios.......oh yes, I remember them well....they were on ever teenager's wish list for christmas or birthday presents.....

Here in australia we shortened the name to "Tranny"....and we never left home without our tranny........we sat it near the window on the train, and didnt care that everyone else had to put up with listening to the same music we wanted to....we had it beside us as we lay sunbaking on the beach....one radio staion used to tell us every half hour, "if you are sunbaking at the beach, roll over so you will get an even tan"....and when we got in the car, which didnt have an inbuilt radio then, we used to slide the strap of the tranny over the inside sun visor, and we would listen to the radio as it swung back and forward as we travelled along.

I couldt resist sharing all those happy memories, that came flooding back to me, when I saw the mention of transiistor radio.......

We could never have dreamed that in the future we would eventually have portable cassette players, cd players or i-pods.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2007, 08:35:00 am »
Transistor Radios.......oh yes, I remember them well....they were on ever teenager's wish list for christmas or birthday presents.....

Here in australia we shortened the name to "Tranny"....and we never left home without our tranny.

OMG!  :o That word has an entirely different connotation in the States today!  :o  :laugh:

(I'm sorry, Katie, I don't mean to make fun. It's just that I'm personally acquainted with a couple of transexuals, and so the first thing I thought of when I read, "We never left home without our tranny." ...  :laugh:)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2007, 05:43:29 pm »
OMG!  :o That word has an entirely different connotation in the States today!  :o  :laugh:

(I'm sorry, Katie, I don't mean to make fun. It's just that I'm personally acquainted with a couple of transexuals, and so the first thing I thought of when I read, "We never left home without our tranny." ...  :laugh:)

Hahahaha.........Yes Jeff, I can see the humour in that.......remember, I was a teenager in the 60's...... i didnt even know then what a transexual was.....reminds me of the words of that song by Bon Jovi......"Thats when a smoke, was a smoke"........

It was also when a fag was a cigarette............gay meant you were cheerful......

Everything seemed so innocent then.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:44 pm »
It was highly humorous to read Jeff's reply to Katie's post about "Tranny" because that's exactly what I was thinking..and laughing..about until I got to the end.  Oh, how thick the dictionary has become over the last 40 years with the additions of alternate meanings to all those words!*/*-

I was in England many moons ago and my friend was smoking.  A friend of his came up to us and said "can I take a drag of your fag, matie".  I thought he was talking to me (and you must know what went through my mind), but everything became clear when he took the "fag" from Matt's lips....Doug

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »
It was highly humorous to read Jeff's reply to Katie's post about "Tranny" because that's exactly what I was thinking..and laughing..about until I got to the end.  Oh, how thick the dictionary has become over the last 40 years with the additions of alternate meanings to all those words!*/*-

I was in England many moons ago and my friend was smoking.  A friend of his came up to us and said "can I take a drag of your fag, matie".  I thought he was talking to me (and you must know what went through my mind), but everything became clear when he took the "fag" from Matt's lips....Doug

Speaking of "drags from fags", does anyone remember those windless lighters they used to sell? They didn't have a flame and they wouldn't blow out no matter how windy it was outside. What ever happened to those?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.