Author Topic: The Wretched Lift Their Voices: Anne Hathaway & Hugh Jackman in 'Les Misérables'  (Read 63893 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

"--And he makes it clear from his first entrance — striding across the stage, hitching up his pants over his lean hips and raising his eyebrows companionably as a fan emits a passionate squeal — that he’d be oh so easy to love."

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/theater/reviews/hugh-jackman-back-on-broadway-at-broadhurst-review.html

Theater Review
'Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway'
A Master of Mass Flirtation

By BEN BRANTLEY
Published: November 10, 2011

"Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway," and impossibly energetic, at the Broadhurst Theater.

Click and scroll, find Multimedia for video excerpt on stage:

Hugh Jackman on Broadway with, from left, Kearran Giovanni, Lara Seibert and Emily Tyra.

Hugh Jackman practices safe sex like nobody else. His sweet-and-hot new show “Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway,” which opened on Thursday night at the Broadhurst Theater, is a great, guilt-free platonic one-night stand. O.K., so maybe the guy tends to run on about himself (his dreams, his job, his family, you know the drill) and cracks a few too many hokey jokes.

But when he gets down to business, this dream date delivers. And even when he’s grinding his hips before front-row patrons at eye level, you know that with Mr. Jackman there’ll be no morning-after regrets or feelings of sleaziness. He is, in his gold lamé way, as perfect a gentleman as anyone your grandmother swooned over at the Roxy. You half expect him to send you (and everyone else in the theater) flowers the next day.

The impossibly talented, impossibly energetic Mr. Jackman is a glorious dinosaur among live entertainers of the 21st century: an honest-to-gosh old-fashioned matinee idol who connects to his audiences without a hint of contempt for them or for himself. A movie star with a major action franchise (as Wolverine in the “X-Men” series), Mr. Jackman says he’s happiest as a song-and-dance man, the kind who conducts mass flirtation with a wink, a wriggle, a firmly handled melody and maybe a cane and some tap shoes.

This hot-ticket concert, previously seen in San Francisco and Toronto, has had writers comparing Mr. Jackman to fabled entertainers like Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra (in his pre-chairman-of-the-board days). If Mr. Jackman isn’t in that league (and I wouldn’t dare try convincing the audiences at the Broadhurst that he isn’t), it’s only because he’s too nice, too sane.

There’s never that lurid, dangerous threat in the air that he might just fall apart (as there was with Garland) or turn nasty (as with Sinatra and the rawer rock ‘n’ roll idols of the last third of the 20th century). On the other hand, you never think that he’s some synthetic, airbrushed illusion — like many of the stadium-playing chart toppers of today — held together by smoke, mirrors and synthesizers.

No, Mr. Jackman is palpably present and in his own skin. You feel you could reach out and touch him, and you may well have occasion to as he works the aisles of the Broadhurst, where his show runs through Jan. 1. That’s what he’s there for: to connect, to love and to be loved. And he makes it clear from his first entrance — striding across the stage, hitching up his pants over his lean hips and raising his eyebrows companionably as a fan emits a passionate squeal — that he’d be oh so easy to love.

That’s love in a major key. Mr. Jackman sings the occasional ballad, but he’s more in his element in sunlight than in shadows. Born in Sydney, he makes much of being a game-for-anything Aussie, always up for a drink, an adventure, a good time. This is not to suggest that there’s anything remotely slapdash about his performance in this show, which is directed and choreographed by Warren Carlyle. Mr. Jackman dances with a Rockette’s precision and makes sure that his lyrics (sung with a hint of an outback twang) land with clarity and meaning.

Of course those moves and words wouldn’t count for nearly as much if Mr. Jackman didn’t inflect them with infectious affection for what he’s doing. He is as much of a classic musical-comedy nerd as any character on “Glee” and a lot more authentic.

He establishes his Broadway bona fides in his opening number. His voice, a capella, precedes him onstage, singing “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’,” from “Oklahoma!,” the show that established Mr. Jackman as a musical star to reckon with when he appeared in it 13 years ago at the National Theater in London. And he concludes the first act with a beguilingly sincere version of Billy Bigelow’s “Soliloquy,” from another Rodgers and Hammerstein classic, “Carousel.”

In between he croons, belts, twirls and shimmies through several high-powered medleys — tributes to New York City and the irrepressible urge to dance (in which “I Won’t Dance” segues into “gotta dance!”). He has smooth assistance from a terrific onstage orchestra (with musical direction by Patrick Vaccariello) and a comely sextet of dancing backup singers. The second act finds him blissfully reincarnating a man who has become an alter ego for him (and the opposite of the manly mutant Wolverine).

That’s the pansexual, endlessly insinuating Peter Allen, whom Mr. Jackman portrayed to Tony-winning perfection in the 2003 bio-musical “The Boy From Oz.” (Channeling Allen provides the chance for Mr. Jackman to get as close to down and dirty as he allows himself in this show.) There is also a sprightly homage to the Hollywood movie musicals Mr. Jackman says he watched on television on Sunday afternoons in his boyhood (after finishing rugby practice, mind you) and an earnest novelty rendition of “Over the Rainbow,” performed by Mr. Jackman and aboriginal musicians from Australia.

The topical jokes and misty reminiscences that mark time between musical numbers are standard issue at best. And you should know that there are (oh dear) perky video montage sequences. (Mr. Jackman as a lad, Mr. Jackman with his son, Mr. Jackman in various movies.)

I usually wince when performers truck out self-celebrating scrapbook stuff. But Mr. Jackman presents this material with a deflating air of not humility exactly or self-mockery, but rather an ingratiating sense of how absurd, silly and wonderful it is to be a real-live star who can make grown women (and men) tremble just by smiling.

For that’s what this show is all about, finally: the erotically charged, two-way relationship between a star and his fans. The Playbill  for “Back on Broadway” makes it clear that sex is what this production is selling. It shows Mr. Jackman looking surly with a two-day stubble and a large-headed microphone rising straight up his chest.

The Hugh Jackman that awaits you inside is friendlier than that, not to mention clean-shaven. And I promise you he won’t do anything untoward with his microphone. All he asks is that you love him loving you loving him. And it’s pretty close to impossible to deny him that.

HUGH JACKMAN
Back on Broadway

Directed and choreographed by Warren Carlyle; music direction by Patrick Vaccariello; sets by John Lee Beatty; costumes by William Ivey Long; lighting by Ken Billington; sound by John Shivers; video by Alexander V. Nichols. Presented by Robert Fox and the Shubert Organization. At the Broadhurst Theater, 235 West 44th Street, Manhattan; (212) 239-6200; telecharge.com. Through Jan. 1. Running time: two hours.

WITH: Hugh Jackman, Robin Campbell, Kearran Giovanni, Anne Otto, Lara Seibert, Hilary Michael Thompson and Emily Tyra.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:37:47 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
[swoon]  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
He is amazing.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
At that wonderful dinner I shared with Bettermost people in New York last year, the waiter mentioned he knew Hugh Jackman. Probably due to my accent, the only thing I share with that hunky man.  If only he could have arranged a meeting :(.  It would have really topped off my visit.  In fact it would have topped off my whole life.  :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!

Hugh's been doing the rounds
with his new Broadway show--
and Martha Stewart used to
be one of his neighbors in NY, so--
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qy4xbQ7v4&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnH-ZNigE-M[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZogaajFf22k&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Martha had the penthouse
at 173 Perry Street--

Hugh's triplex (full floors 8-10)
is still at 176 Perry Street

Martha used to be in the left building, Hugh is in the middle, with Nicole Kidman upstairs (if she hasn't
moved)--Hugh is often seen jogging on West Street and the Hudson River Park Esplanade across the
street.
Nice!!   :D :D :D

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIJjWpkCiyo&feature=related[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
At that wonderful dinner I shared with Bettermost people in New York last year, the waiter mentioned he knew Hugh Jackman. Probably due to my accent, the only thing I share with that hunky man.  If only he could have arranged a meeting :(.  It would have really topped off my visit.  In fact it would have topped off my whole life.  :laugh:

I wonder if you agree with me Brian, that Hugh Jackman was not a household name in Australia, before he went to America.

I know he did some movies, but it was his wife Deborah Lee Furness who was the better known of the two of them.

Or did I miss something in Australia?
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brianr

I wonder if you agree with me Brian, that Hugh Jackman was not a household name in Australia, before he went to America.

I know he did some movies, but it was his wife Deborah Lee Furness who was the better known of the two of them.

Or did I miss something in Australia?
I am not the person to ask such things. I rarely watch TV and did not see many movies until I retired from full time work in 2002. I know I lost my heart to Hugh in "Kate and Leopold" which I watched on the plane to Europe in 2002. I actually watched it on the way back again even though my earphones were not working. I was happy to just watch :P and knew the story anyway ;D
He seems to have been in "man from snowy river" which i saw but perhaps just a small part. I think the "Boy from Oz" made his name here although he seems to have hosted the Myer Christmas show (for others, it is very big on Christmas eve TV in Australia) before that.

• BetterMost Supporter!

I am not the person to ask such things. I rarely watch TV and did not see many movies until I retired from full time work in 2002. I know I lost my heart to Hugh in "Kate and Leopold" which I watched on the plane to Europe in 2002. I actually watched it on the way back again even though my earphones were not working. I was happy to just watch :P and knew the story anyway ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSlJaP2sHw[/youtube]
;D ;D

FYI, there was  a Leopold, Duke of Albany in 1876 (he was 23 years old at the time)--but unfortunately, he didn't look a thing  like Hugh Jackman!

::)

Also, he didn't marry Meg Ryan--instead:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Leopold,_Duke_of_Albany

Marriage

Prince Leopold, stifled by the desire of his mother, Queen Victoria, to keep him at home, saw marriage as his only hope of independence. Due to his haemophilia, he had difficulty finding a wife. Heiress Daisy Maynard was one of the women he considered as a possible bride. He was acquainted with Alice Liddell, the daughter of the Vice-Chancellor of Oxford for whom Lewis Carroll wrote Alice's Adventures in Wonderland,  and was godfather of Alice's second son, who was named for him. It has been suggested that he considered marrying her, though others suggest that he preferred her sister Edith.

Leopold also considered his second cousin Princess Frederica of Hanover for a bride; they instead became lifelong friends and confidantes. Other brides he pursued included Victoria of Baden and Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.

After rejection from these women, Victoria stepped in to bar what she saw as unsuitable possibilities. Insisting that the children of British monarchs should marry into other reigning Protestant families, Victoria suggested a meeting with Princess Helene Friederike, the daughter of Georg Viktor, reigning Prince of Waldeck-Pyrmont. On 27 April 1882, Leopold and Helena were married, at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. Leopold and Helena enjoyed a happy (although brief) marriage. In 1883, Leopold became a father when his wife gave birth to a daughter, Alice. He died shortly before the birth of his son, Charles Edward.

Poor Meg Ryan!

:laugh:

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....

Martha used to be in the left building, Hugh is in the middle, with Nicole Kidman upstairs (if she hasn't
moved)--Hugh is often seen jogging on West Street and the Hudson River Park Esplanade across the
street.

Nice!!   :D :D :D

Very nice!  I can see where we stood along the river when we took our Brokie walk there earlier this year.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!

Very nice!  I can see where we stood along the river when we took our Brokie walk there earlier this year.  8)
;) ;D

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

FYI, there was  a Leopold, Duke of Albany in 1876 (he was 23 years old at the time)--but unfortunately, he didn't look a thing  like Hugh Jackman!

They part their hair the same way though.  ;D

Kate and Leopold is a guilty pleasure movie favorite of mine.  Can't believe it's been 10 YEARS since it came out!  :P

Someone really needs to give Hugh a decent movie.  He's had a fine film career...except most of his movies stink and don't make much money.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Kate and Leopold is a guilty pleasure movie favorite of mine.  Can't believe it's been 10 YEARS since it came out!  :P

I bought a used DVD of that movie cheap at the drug store quite some time ago--because I remembered thinking Hugh looked awfully good in that uniform in the promos that I'd seen for the film--but somehow I've never gotten around to watching it.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
I would be delighted to have Hugh star in the movie based on my book "Tourmaline."

:)

Those tickets for his show cost $175!!!! HOLY COW!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

• BetterMost Supporter!

Those tickets for his show cost $175!!!! HOLY COW!
That's why he gets the big bucks!  :D :D 8) 8) :laugh:     

"Camping Out"

Offline brianr

FYI, there was  a Leopold, Duke of Albany in 1876 (he was 23 years old at the time)--but unfortunately, he didn't look a thing  like Hugh Jackman!

Also, he didn't marry Meg Ryan--instead:  

He sure didn't look like Hugh. I did not want him to marry Meg Ryan, (cannot remember if he did in the film now or went back to his time perhaps with Meg) nor Deborah Lee Furness.  I wanted him to marry me  ;D , even giving me a big hug along with that smile would have me floating on air for a week.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
He sure didn't look like Hugh. I did not want him to marry Meg Ryan, (cannot remember if he did in the film now or went back to his time perhaps with Meg) nor Deborah Lee Furness.  I wanted him to marry me  ;D , even giving me a big hug along with that smile would have me floating on air for a week.

You know, I have a Hugh Jackman story I got in Australia when I was in Melbourne.  Not a lot of people know (outside of Australia anyway) that Hugh attended college - at least for a time, in Melbourne.  While I was there in 2007 I met one of his one-time classmates; and when i gasped and said "you knew him? what was he like?" and she shrugged and said "He was just some skinny tall guy, didn't notice him at all really.  He wasn't all that."  I was stunned.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brianr

I think she was having you on.  All of Hugh's education was at school and university in Sydney. He was school captain of the all boys college.
That aside, a few years ago I attended a reunion of my class of '79. When teaching them I was 35. One ex-student was so stunning (and gay) I could not take my eyes off him and was amazed to find who he was. He was quite uninteresting when I taught him at the age of 16.

• BetterMost Supporter!

FYI, there was  a Leopold, Duke of Albany in 1876 (he was 23 years old at the time)--but unfortunately, he didn't look a thing  like Hugh Jackman!

In 1883, Leopold became a father when his wife gave birth to a daughter, Alice. He died shortly before the birth of his son, Charles Edward.

And here is
Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone
(Hugh Jackman's daughter!  ::) )
aged 93, in 1976.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4hAbHLszw[/youtube]
Don't ask about the brother,
Prince Charles Edward, Duke of Albany .
He became a terrible Nazi, and was disgraced.
See, Meg Ryan, see what you did--
you should have married Hugh after all!

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

I think she was having you on.  All of Hugh's education was at school and university in Sydney. He was school captain of the all boys college.
That aside, a few years ago I attended a reunion of my class of '79. When teaching them I was 35. One ex-student was so stunning (and gay) I could not take my eyes off him and was amazed to find who he was. He was quite uninteresting when I taught him at the age of 16.

Most everyone at 16 is uninteresting.  :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

I bought a used DVD of that movie cheap at the drug store quite some time ago--because I remembered thinking Hugh looked awfully good in that uniform in the promos that I'd seen for the film--but somehow I've never gotten around to watching it.  :(

Take a break from scary book reading and watch this.  It's just typical rom-com, but with a little twist.  But note something that took me 10 years to notice.  Watch the progression of elevators.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
It's just typical rom-com.

Is that the same thing as a chick flick?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

Is that the same thing as a chick flick?  ;D

Yup.  ;D

Offline brianr

I usually tune out during TV adverts but perhaps because of our recent conversation. I thought I know that face (it was only a brief part of the following Liptons tea ad). Have never drunk Liptons tea and as I do not like tea it will not likely change that fact.

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/theater/how-hugh-jackmans-two-sides-make-women-swoon.html?_r=1&ref=arts&src=me&pagewanted=all

Arts & Leisure
Hugh Jackman Keeps His Pants On
By BEN BRANTLEY
Published: December 8, 2011

Hugh Jackman with fans after the opening night of his Broadway show.

Hugh Jackman signing shirts for Broadway's AIDS charity.

Hugh Jackman, rugged show-tune lover.

IT takes two to be Hugh. The most adored performer on Broadway at the moment is, without question, Hugh Jackman, both of him. “Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway,” at the Broadhurst Theater, has created this season’s most virulent case of box office fever by presenting the snazziest single double act New York has known since Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner played Siamese twins in “Side Show” 14 years ago.

Technically, you may object, there’s only one Hugh Jackman. He’s that strapping, muscle-flexing actor who plays the manly mutant Wolverine in the lucrative “X-Men” movie franchise. But wait a minute. Isn’t he the swivel-hipped song-and-dance man who won a Tony Award in 2004 playing the epicene entertainer Peter Allen in “The Boy From Oz”?

The point of Mr. Jackman’s show — which ends its limited, sold-out run on Jan. 1 and is the hardest ticket in New York to come by — is that he contains, if not multitudes, then a teeming crowd of two. Eight times a week he clefts himself in twain for the delectation of largely female audiences who love him just for his selves. Let’s face it. Mr. Jackman is, unapologetically and triumphantly, the bi-est guy in town: bicultural, bimorphic, binational, biprofessional and, for entertainment purposes, bisexual.

I’m really not talking about sexual identity here. Well, I am, but only in a Platonic sense. Mr. Jackman makes a point of reminding us throughout his fleet-footed show, which combines musical numbers with an “All About Hugh” narrative, that he’s a long- and happily married man, and I have no evidence to the contrary. But despite — or perhaps because of — his firmly affirmed marital status Mr. Jackman often gleefully comports himself onstage in the manner of what, in less enlightened times, might have been called a flaming queen.

First of all, the guy makes no bones about saying that he loves musicals. And male musical-comedy love is one of those red flags that naïve young women are told to watch out for when they’re searching for a mate.

Mr. Jackman, though, would like to make it clear that a fellow can wallow in a splashy, dance-crammed Vincente Minnelli film like “The Band Wagon” and still be a sweaty ace on the playing field. (That’s one of the lessons of the television series “Glee” too, but Mr. Jackman claimed the territory first.) Growing up in Sydney, Australia, he tells his audience, he couldn’t wait for Sunday afternoons, when the local television station would show old movie musicals. But please note that the young Hugh would sit down to bliss out on Busby Berkeley only after rugby practice on Sunday mornings.

This dichotomy shapes both the form and content of “Back on Broadway,” which is directed and choreographed by Warren Carlyle, lending it a wholesome, all-embracing eroticism that would seem to be more appealing to women than to men. (That’s certainly been confirmed by the demographics of audiences I’ve seen there.) The show unfolds as a point-counterpoint presentation of, if you will, the yin and yang of Hugh.

His opening number, Rodgers and Hammerstein ’s “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin’,” is from “Oklahoma!,” the most classic of classic musicals, in which Mr. Jackman starred for the National Theater in London in 1998. He played Curly the cowman, a reminder of when musical-comedy heroes were virile guys’ guys and shy showoffs with women. The first of act of “Back on Broadway” ends with Mr. Jackman embodying another, similar Rodgers and Hammerstein figure, singing the “Soliloquy” of Billy Bigelow, the burly carnival barker from “Carousel.”

In between, though, Mr. Jackman slips out of the clenched-fist, working-clothes persona of the Rodgers and Hammerstein man and into something more shimmery. He confesses — and succumbs — to urges to swing his hips and tap his toes. A medley centered on the song “I Won’t Dance” becomes an anatomical, Jekyll-and-Hyde study of a man being seduced by Broadway rhythms, erupting into show-boy choreography despite himself.

Mr. Jackman explains that this sort of dancing gives him a lithe, lean body that is markedly different from that of the bulked-up Wolverine he plays in the “X-Men” films, and he shows us movie footage to illustrate the difference. The producers of “X-Men,” Mr. Jackman says, worry about this transformation from mesomorph to ectomorph. But watching “Back on Broadway,” you feel that if he chose, he could regrow those missing muscles on the spot. He doesn’t of course. Instead, his body becomes even more serpentine for the top of the second act, and the show’s high point.

This is the sequence in which Mr. Jackman, in second-skin gold lamé, reincarnates the pansexual Australian songwriter and performer Peter Allen (who died of AIDS in 1992). Though Mr. Jackman has been flirting with the audience since the show began, as Allen he progresses into serious polymorphous foreplay. Conducting an erotic dialogue with a drum beat (and the drummer who provides it), he’s about as far from Curly as Oklahoma is from Australia.

Australia itself is the focal point for other illustrations of Mr. Jackman’s double-sided nature. While he serenades Manhattan with a smitten rendition of Cole Porter’s “I Happen to Like New York,” he lets us know that even as a Gothamite, he remains an easygoing, outdoors-loving Aussie. And when he sings “Over the Rainbow,” he performs it with four indigenous Australian musicians and a new mystical-sounding arrangement.

Singing “Over the Rainbow” on a Broadway stage is throwing down a gauntlet. That’s the song most associated with Judy Garland, whose concerts at Carnegie Hall half a century ago are remembered as the ultimate transcendent love affairs between a singer and an audience. Because of his intimate rapport with theatergoers, Mr. Jackman has been compared to Garland. And there’s a classically Garlandesque moment in “Back on Broadway” when he reaches from the stage to clasp the hands of audience members reaching up to him.

But, oh, what a gap separates Le Jackman and La Garland. She too embodied the performer as a divided self, but in a far more frightening (and, yes, exciting) way. She was perhaps the ultimate example of the star who loved and hated the anonymous souls who loved her, who needed them and resented them in equal measures. Accounts of Garland in concert often speak of the suspense of them, of never knowing if she might suddenly turn on her audience or herself.

That same nervous anticipation emanates from the one-woman shows of Garland’s daughter Liza Minnelli, who, for the record, was briefly married to Peter Allen. Will she make it all the way to the final curtain? The answer to that question seems to hinge on the amount of the adoration her audience is willing to give her. Even an utterly in-control, spectacle-camouflaged pop artist like Lady Gaga exudes a raw hunger — for the embrace of the little monsters in the dark — that provides a titillating edge of discomfort. And a swaggering macho hip-hop artist like Kanye West has been known to melt down onstage into orgies of self-abusing revelation.

From the era of Billie Holiday to that of Amy Winehouse, singers with cult followings have often seemed poised over a black of hole of pain that might swallow them at any moment. When Garland did “Get Happy,” it was perceived as a triumph of style over sorrow. The relationship between this kind of performer and the audience is always tinged with sadomasochism. Mr. Jackman generates no such frissons. His erotic energy is purely and pleasurably consensual. For some women his double-jointedness makes him the perfect platonic lover: part leading-man seducer (who gives you the best sex you never had), part gay best friend (who picks up your spirits by singing show tunes with you).

And for all his charm and charisma, as a singer of standards, he isn’t nearly on Garland’s level as an interpretive artist. I think that’s partly because — matters of vocal talent aside — there’s no discernible friction between the different Hughs, no danger of internal combustion. His emotional arithmetic is clear-cut, elementary-school-level division.

I recently went back to a Wednesday matinee, after which he auctioned off items of apparel he had worn that day for the charity Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. He raised at least $28,000 that afternoon, and it’s worth itemizing the tab: two sweat-soaked undershirts (at $10,000 apiece) and a gold belt he wore as Peter Allen ($8,000).

So there were mementoes from both Hughs. But I never felt he was selling off pieces of his heart, which I assume is equally divided. (Whose isn’t?) That organ he keeps to himself, and I suspect that he’ll live the longer for doing so.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/01/hugh-jackman-on-the-film-fest-he-wants-you-to-know-about-breaking-broadway-records-and-live-singing-for-les-miz.html

Hugh Jackman on the Film Fest
He Wants You to Know About,
Breaking Broadway Records,
and Live-Singing for Les Miz

By Rachel Bertsche
1/4/12 at 10:00 AM

Hugh Jackman.

Hugh Jackman can draw a crowd. He’s proven it time and again, most recently on Broadway, where he raked in an unprecedented $14 million for his one-man show, Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway.  Now the Australian triple-threat is lending that star power to Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which announces its inaugural New York event today. The twenty-year-old Aussie fest, which drew a live audience of more than 150,000 people to Sydney last year, is calling for entries of films no longer than seven minutes, some of which will screen on June 23 in Bryant Park. We caught up with Jackman about what to expect from the fest, as well as his record-breaking Broadway run and his upcoming stint as Les Miz ’s Jean Valjean.

You haven’t had much idle time lately. Your one-man show just wrapped up its ten-week run, right?
I literally finished last night. Now I’m going to have some time with the family. Or as my wife said to me this morning, “Get out of bed. You’re on!”

Back on Broadway  broke a number of Broadway records, like the highest weekly gross for the Shubert Organization.
The show has gone way better than we could have imagined. I decided to do it because Wolverine  kept getting delayed, so I didn’t want to just sit around waiting.  I had quite modest ambitions. I said to my agent, “Find me a 30-minute charity gig or something, just get me going,” and he rang me the next day and said, “We’ve got a theater.”

You’re starting rehearsals for the movie adaptation of Les Miz  later this month. I read that there are going to be no prerecorded songs — that you’ll be singing live on the set. Is that true?
 Yes, I believe we are going to be singing live. We will obviously have to do a safety prerecord, because when you’re singing you’ve got to have all the music in your ear, and I’m guessing also for quality of sound for the soundtrack. And sometimes when you film there are noises — smoke machines, things like that — where the actual sound on set may not be usable. But most of it we’re going to be singing live, which for something like Les Miserables  is essential. You don’t want it to feel like it’s all done in a recording studio, nor do you want it to look like the actors are miming the whole thing. I wouldn’t know how to do that. I think it would take more work to mime it than to sing it.

Les Miz  is such a beloved show. Does that add pressure? Or make you more motivated?
More motivated. I auditioned. I went hard for the part. I wasn’t sitting back waiting for this one. This is one I really wanted. I feel, weirdly, that all the things in my life — particularly my professional life, which has been close to twenty years — have been converging to this point. I feel very lucky and blessed to have been in movies, and I feel lucky and blessed to have been in musicals. I’ve been waiting a long time to combine the two, and to be able to do it with something like Les Miserables,  it just feels like a pinnacle.

Do you remember the first time you saw Les Miz ?
Yes, I saw it in Australia for the first time, actually. A mate of mine was in it and I was completely blown away. I’ve seen it three times now, not including the PBS specials. Actually, the very first song I used as an audition piece was “Stars” from Javert. It wasn’t right for the musical — I was auditioning for Beauty and the Beast  so they were like, “Why are you singing ‘Stars’?” But I was coming out of acting school and my acting teacher had made me sing that one song, so it was the only thing I had music to.

What about the physical transformation? Jean Valjean changes so much during the show.
Well, it’s an eighteen-year span, so he’ll go through a transformation during the film, but when we start he is in a labor camp. He’s described as a “great ox of a man,” so as [director] Tom [Hooper] says, “I don’t want pecks, I don’t want you to look like you’ve been to the gym, I want you to look like you’ve been hauling ropes to get ships into the shipyard.” I’m literally starting training in a half-hour. I’m about to go into a whole lot of squats and pulling ropes and pulling myself up ropes. At the same time, I don’t get to eat any fun stuff because he wants me to be lean in the face like I’ve been in a labor camp. But then he gets rich and goes to pot, so that part will be fun.

Tropfest has been in Australia for twenty years. Why expand to New York now?
Tropfest is like a rock concert in Sydney. You get 100,000 people watching short films, and suddenly all of Sydney thinks they are filmmakers. It has demystified that whole idea of ,“Oh my God, it’s impossible to make films and you can’t do it without a lot of money.” So it seems to me that if it can work in Sydney, Australia, then in New York it should become an even bigger phenomenon. This is New York!

Tropfest alumni include Sam Worthington, Joel Edgarton. The FX series Wilfred  is even based on a Tropfest short. Were you ever on the contestant side of things?
Yeah, I was in one. It won second place a couple of years ago. I did a little cameo for a mate of mine who was in drama school. I was swimming in my pool one day and he knocks on the door with his little flip cam and he goes, “Oh, mate, I just need a little cameo.” So he took video of me swimming, and next thing he e-mails me and goes, “Oh mate, we won second place.”

Any clichés to avoid? Or advice for people who want to enter?
A lot of people try and copy an idea from the past. It’s like they’ve made a film before and, if now, say, the theme is lighthouse, they go, “If I can just add a shot of a lighthouse … ”

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

https://twitter.com/#!/RealHughJackman/status/184391392028667904/photo/1

Hugh Jackman
@RealHughJackman

Very excited about how the first days of filming are going!! Check out my convict look...but its changing soon.
pic.twitter.com/SLFHBhfN

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/hugh-jackman-serves-up-a-much-better-look-at-jean-valjean-in-les-miserables?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvhTXVZROs&feature[/youtube]
Uploaded by FlynetPictures on Mar 22, 2012

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXcnr-MwCg&feature[/youtube]
Published on Apr 19, 2012 by FlynetPictures

Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman singing "Do You Hear The People Sing" during the filming of scenes for movie Les Misérables  at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London.

Also posted in the Chez Tremblay thread Anne Anne Anne!
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22197.msg630520/topicseen.html#msg630520

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350][youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5slbuWpZwjg&feature[/youtube][/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
I am so excited for that film! I'm a huge Les Mis nut. I love the novel, I adore the musical.

And Anne looks and sings fantastic as Fantine - she doesn't overdo the pathos or try to really push that song and her voice to its limits to prove she can do it.  I think I will cry when I see the film.

I noticed that the link was broken to the clip of the filming of the Finale number (Do you hear the people sing) so I took a look round YouTube to find a working link to the same clip in case anyone else comes looking like I did. The link is HERE.

• BetterMost Supporter!
I am so excited for that film! I'm a huge Les Mis nut. I love the novel, I adore the musical.

And Anne looks and sings fantastic as Fantine - she doesn't overdo the pathos or try to really push that song and her voice to its limits to prove she can do it.  I think I will cry when I see the film.

I noticed that the link was broken to the clip of the filming of the Finale number (Do you hear the people sing) so I took a look round YouTube to find a working link to the same clip in case anyone else comes looking like I did. The link is HERE.

I think so too, Mikaela!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwgQjfg0hZw&feature[/youtube]
Published on Sep 20, 2012 by OfficialRegalMovies

This Christmas, the epic musical comes to the big screen.

Helmed by The King's Speech 's Academy Award®-winning director, Tom Hooper, Les Misérables  stars Hugh Jackman, Oscar® winner Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried.

"Camping Out"

Offline brianr

Thanks for this. I can hardly wait. I have just read that it is opening in NZ on January 10. However it is opening in Australia on Dec 26. At the moment I plan to fly home from Sydney on Dec 27. Will I join the queues or wait? I have seen the stage version 4 times and would have seen many more if it was not so expensive.

Offline brianr

Have just seen this interview with Hugh Jackman on Australian TV
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-26/hugh-jackman-les-miserables/4391650

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/movies/les-miserables-stars-anne-hathaway-and-hugh-jackman.html

Movie Review
The Wretched Lift Their Voices
‘Les Misérables’
Stars Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman

By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: December 24, 2012

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway in  “Les Misérables.”

In the first long act of “Les Misérables,” Anne Hathaway opens her mouth, and the agony, passion and violence that have decorously idled in the background of this all-singing, all-suffering pop opera pour out. It’s a gusher! She’s playing Fantine, the factory worker turned prostitute turned martyr, and singing the showstopping “I Dreamed a Dream,” her gaunt face splotched red and brown. The artful grunge layered onto the cast can be a distraction, as you imagine assistant dirt wranglers anxiously hovering off camera. Ms. Hathaway, though, holds you rapt with raw, trembling emotion. She devours the song, the scene, the movie, and turns her astonishing, cavernous mouth into a vision of the void.

The director Tom Hooper can be a maddening busybody behind the camera, but this is one number in which he doesn’t try to upstage his performers. Maybe he was worried that Ms. Hathaway would wolf him down too. Whatever the case, he keeps it relatively simple. Moving the camera slightly with her — she lurches somewhat out of frame at one point, suggesting a violent, existential wrenching — he shoots the song in a head-and-shoulder close-up, with the background blurred. By that point, with her dignity and most of her pretty hair gone, Fantine has fallen as far as she can. She has become one of the abject castaways of the musical’s title, a wretched of the earth.

Written by Alain Boublil and the composer Claude-Michel Schönberg (with English-language lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer), the musical “Les Misérables” is of course one really big show, perhaps the biggest and certainly one of the longest-running. Its Web site hints at its reach: Since the English-language version was first performed in London in 1985, it has been translated into 21 languages, performed in 43 countries, won almost 100 awards (Tony, Grammy) and been seen by more than 60 million people. In 1996 Hong Kong mourners sang “Do You Hear the People Sing” to memorialize Tiananmen Square. In 2009 the awkward duckling Susan Boyle became a swan and a world brand with her rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream” on the television show “Britain’s Got Talent.”

Somewhere amid the grime, power ballads and surging strings there is also Victor Hugo, whose monumental 1862 humanistic novel, “Les Misérables,” was, along with the musical “Oliver!,” Mr. Boublil’s original inspiration. Like the show, Mr. Hooper’s movie opens in 1815 and closes shortly after the quashed June Rebellion of 1832, boiling the story down to a pair of intertwined relationships.

The first pivots on the antagonism of a onetime prison guard, now inspector, Javert (Russell Crowe, strained) toward a former convict, Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman, earnest); the second involves the love-at-first-sight swooning between Cosette (Amanda Seyfried) and Marius (Eddie Redmayne), a revolutionary firebrand. As a child, Cossette was rescued by Valjean from her caretakers, the Thénardiers (the energetic Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, who nicely stir, and stink up, the air).

Part of the tug of “Les Misérables” is that it recounts a familiar, reassuring story of oppression, liberation and redemption, complete with period costumes and tear-yanking songs. Georges Sand apparently felt that there was too much Christianity in Hugo’s novel; Mr. Hooper seems to have felt that there wasn’t enough in the musical and, using his camera like a Magic Marker, repeatedly underlines the religious themes that are already narratively and lyrically manifest. In the first number (“Look Down”), set against a digitally enhanced, visibly artificial port, Valjean helps haul an enormous ship into a dock. Dressed mainly in cardinal red, the prisoners pull on ropes, while singing during a lashing rain, with Javert glaring down at them. (And, yes, he will fall.)

By the time the scene ends, Valjean hasn’t just been handed his release papers after 19 years as a prisoner, he has also become a Christ figure, hoisting a preposterously large wooden pole on to his shoulder. Mr. Hooper’s maximalist approach is evident the very moment the scene begins — the camera swooping, as waves and music crash — setting an overblown tone that rarely quiets. His work in this passage, from the roller-coaster moves of the cameras to the loud incidental noise that muffles the lyrics, undermines his actors and begins to push the musical from spectacle toward bloat. Mr. Jackman suffers the most from Mr. Hooper’s approach, as when Valjean paces up and down a hallway while delivering “What Have I Done,” a to-and-fro that witlessly, needlessly, literalizes the character’s internal struggle.

Mr. Hooper’s decision to shoot the singing live, as opposed to recording everything in postproduction, as has been customary in movie musicals since the 1930s, yields benefits. That’s especially the case with Ms. Hathaway, Mr. Redmayne and Daniel Huttlestone, a scene-stealer who plays the Thénardiers’ young son. (This isn’t the first contemporary musical to resurrect the practice of live singing, which was used for both Peter Bogdanovich’s “At Long Last Love” and Alan Parker’s “Commitments.”) It’s touching, watching performers like Ms. Hathaway and Mr. Redmayne giving it their all, complete with quavering chins and straining tendons. Mr. Redmayne, an appealing actor with a freckled face built for wonder, at times seems to be stretching his long body to hit his higher notes.

Mr. Redmayne’s sincerity complements Ms. Seyfried’s old-fashioned trilling and her wide-eyed appearance, even if their romance lacks spark. Then again, so does the movie. Song after song, as relationships and rebellion bloom, you wait in vain for the movie to, as well, and for the filmmaking to rise to the occasion of both its source material and its hard-working performers.

As he showed in “The King’s Speech” and in the television series “John Adams,” Mr. Hooper can be very good with actors. But his inability to leave any lily ungilded — to direct a scene without tilting or hurtling or throwing the camera around — is bludgeoning and deadly. By the grand finale, when tout le monde  is waving the French tricolor in victory, you may instead be raising the white flag in exhausted defeat.

“Les Misérables” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Gun death, poverty, face boils and revolution.

Russell Crowe as Javert.

Les Misérables

Opens on Tuesday nationwide.

Directed by Tom Hooper; written by William Nicholson, Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg and Herbert Kretzmer; based on the novel by Victor Hugo and the stage musical by Mr. Boublil and Mr. Schönberg; music by Mr. Schönberg; lyrics by Mr. Kretzmer; director of photography, Danny Cohen; edited by Melanie Ann Oliver and Chris Dickens; production design by Eve Stewart; costumes by Paco Delgado; produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh; released by Universal Pictures. Running time: 2 hours 37 minutes.

WITH: Hugh Jackman (Jean Valjean), Russell Crowe (Javert), Anne Hathaway (Fantine), Amanda Seyfried (Cosette), Eddie Redmayne (Marius), Samantha Barks (Éponine), Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thénardier) and Sacha Baron Cohen (Thénardier).

"Camping Out"

Offline Luvlylittlewing

The wait is finally over!  I'll go see this after Christmas dinner tomorrow evening with my daughter and her beau.  We don't anticipate loving it as mush as the Geoffrey Rush/UmaThurman/Liam Neissen version, but this looks great!

• BetterMost Supporter!

Release dates for
Les Misérables   (2012)

Country               Date

UK                       5 December 2012 (London) (premiere)
Japan                 21 December 2012  
Australia            22 December 2012 (limited)
Hong Kong         22 December 2012 (limited)

Canada               25 December 2012  
Hong Kong         25 December 2012  
Singapore           25 December 2012  
Spain                  25 December 2012  
USA                    25 December 2012

Australia           26 December 2012  
Hungary            27 December 2012  
Malaysia            27 December 2012  

Czech Republic  3 January 2013  
Lebanon            3 January 2013  
Portugal            3 January 2013  
Bulgaria             4 January 2013  
Lithuania           4 January 2013  

Netherlands      10 January 2013  
New Zealand     10 January 2013  
Ireland              11 January 2013  
Mexico              11 January 2013  
UK                     11 January 2013  
Vietnam            11 January 2013

Estonia             18 January 2013  
Iceland             18 January 2013  
Norway             18 January 2013  
Sweden            18 January 2013  

Poland              25 January 2013  

Italy                  31 January 2013  
Slovenia            31 January 2013  
Brazil                 1 February 2013  

Russia               7 February 2013  
Taiwan              8 February 2013  

France              13 February 2013  
Argentina         14 February 2013  
Greece              14 February 2013  

Belgium             20 February 2013  
Germany           21 February 2013  
Cyprus              22 February 2013  
Finland              22 February 2013  

Turkey              1 March 2013  
Denmark           21 March 2013  

Also Known As (AKA)

Клетниците Bulgaria (Bulgarian title)
A nyomorultak Hungary (imdb display title)
Bidnici Czech Republic (imdb display title)
Jadnici Serbia (imdb display title)
Les Miz USA (informal alternative title)
Les misérables: Nędznicy Poland
Los Miserables Argentina (imdb display title)
Los miserables Spain (imdb display title)
Oi athlioi Greece (imdb display title)
Os Miseráveis Portugal (imdb display title)
Vargdieniai Lithuania (imdb display title)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:58:40 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
I saw Les Miserables today.  Here's my little review, entitled "I Feel Gritty (oh so gritty)".

*spoilers*  (duh)

I'm a pretty big fan--I've seen the show three times, once in French.  I have the original French concept album, the original London cast album, the original Broadway cast album, the original French cast album (terrific), and what I consider the best, the 10th Anniversary concert album performed in Royal Albert Hall.  We won't even talk about the 25th anniversary concert with Nick Jonas...

Warning:  I tend to be critical!  I'll start by saying I never liked Hugh Jackman's voice.  Having seen him way back in 1998 in "Oklahoma!" as Curley, I thought he sure was pretty and a good dancer.  But that voice--a nasal warble--doesn't work for me.  (I tried listening to his "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" without the visuals once.)

That said, his Jean Valjean kinda grows on you.  He is an all-around nice guy, after all.  Jackman had a certain wide-eyed expression that didn't vary much, however.

Colm Wilkinson--the original Jean Valjean both in London and New York--makes a nice cameo as the monseigneur, and delivers his usual weird, exaggerated vowels.

Russell Crowe as Javert is a big disappointment.  Let's face it:  he's no singer.  He hoarsely croaked his way through some nifty songs. He also lacks the intensity and obsessiveness the role requires.  See Phillip Quast on youtube for the definitive interpretation.  

Our Anne is magnetic in her small role.  She has to transform herself in a very short amount of time.  I think of how great she was in the telephone scene in BBM--again a short scene, but terrific. You could hear a pin drop in the theatre when she performed.  (I wonder if the take in the film is different from the one in the trailer).  Of course, she gets a reprise at the end of the film, this time all cleaned up.  

While Russell Crowe was bad enough, the even bigger disappointment for me was the casting of the lovers.  Eddie Redmayne just doesn't ooze romantic hero to me.  (I disliked him in the same way in "My Week with Marilyn" with our Michelle).  His face has this perpetual grin, that along with the freckles, is offputting.  It doesn't help that they gave him a ridiculous hairdo.  He singing reminds me of Dudley Dooright.  His partner Amanda Seyfried is even worse.  I don't really know why they cast a blonde to be Anne's daughter, but whatever.  Amanda sounds like Minnie Mouse on helium at 78 rpm.  Nails on a chalkboard.  No chemistry, whatsoever, between them.  Yuk.  Plus, they insist on pronouncing her name as "Cuzette".  Double yuk.

Aaron Tveit was superb as Enjolras.  He oozes sensuality, and of course can sing!  Why oh why didn't they cast him as Marius?  He also has a wonderful death scene.  (He was intoxicating in "Next to Normal".  Look him up singing "I'm Alive".  He also had a bit part in "Howl" as Allen Ginsburg's lover.)

Samantha Barks is a decent Eponine.  (She was the one good thing in the 25th anniversary concert.)  She has a tiny tiny waist and very very large upper frontals.  What she sees in this Marius, I'll never know.

The little kid who plays Gavroche practically steals the show.  This kid is going somewhere!

The little kid who plays young Cosette is duly filthy and adorable.  The composers wrote a new song for Valjean to sing to her called "Suddenly" that sounds like it came out of "The Boy from Oz".  Fail.  

Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen play the Thenardiers, with more meanness than comic relief.  

Regarding production values, the use of hand-held cameras was downright nauseating and unnecessary.  The CGI ropes-pulling-ships at the beginning was silly.  The birds-eye views of 19th-century Paris were fun.  The lighting was dim throughout.  Even though the actors sang live, there were a few moments out of sync. Some actors used English accents, some didn't.  I could have done without the realism in the Paris sewers, thank you very much.  They didn't spare any scrofulous boil or disgusting teeth in the makeup department either.

Overall, the problem to me was:  why go for such realism if you're gonna have them sing anyway?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
OK, here's Philip Quast singing "Stars". Suck on this, Crowe.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxk4mveLCw[/youtube]

Offline Luvlylittlewing

I saw it last night and pretty much agree with your review -- that is, the parts that I actually saw.  I was fighting sleep, as my day had been pretty full up till then, and all the rain was making me drowsy.  I hated Russell Crowe's performance from the start, but I did enjoy Hugh Jackman.  The only other thing that really stood out for me was the inkeepers: they were so annoying and put me in the mind of Sweeny Todd, another disappointment.

I really loved the ending, and didn't want it to end, if that makes any sense.  All-in-all, I enjoyed the film but I don't know if I'll see it again.  I'm a repeat movie goer, but this one didn't thrill me enough to buy another ticket.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Warning:  I tend to be critical!  I'll start by saying I never liked Hugh Jackman's voice.  Having seen him way back in 1998 in "Oklahoma!" as Curley, I thought he sure was pretty and a good dancer.  But that voice--a nasal warble--doesn't work for me.  (I tried listening to his "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" without the visuals once.)

That said, his Jean Valjean kinda grows on you.  He is an all-around nice guy, after all.  Jackman had a certain wide-eyed expression that didn't vary much, however.

:o  Oi! You're a braver man than I am, SouthendMD. Around here you risk getting yourself ripped a new one if you say you dislike anything about Hugh Jackman.  ::)

But, yes, having seen him in a PBS broadcast of that "Oklahoma!," I agree with your assessment of his voice. As Curly, I found him handsome and felt he made a good cowboy, but I grew up on recordings of Gordon MacRae in the role in the movie version, and I felt that the kid who was Curly in my high school's production of the show back in 1976 had a better voice for Rodgers and Hammerstein than Jackman.

Sorry for being OT, folks. ...  ::)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
I love Hugo´s novel and am also fond of the movie adaption starring Rush and Neeson (much better than the French tv-series from a few years back starring Gerard Depardieu).  But I have never understood the point of having them sing the story. Musicals tend to over-dramatize everything while I am all for preserving the small and intimite. I don´t think I´d see this movie even if someone paid me to ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
OT, but I just learned that Hugh Jackman will be the "special guest artist" at the 156th Academy of Music Concert and Ball here in Philadelphia on the 26th of this month.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I found this review online that I think you'll find funny.  I believe it's the "straight man's" review of Les Mis.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

I found this review online that I think you'll find funny.  I believe it's the "straight man's" review of Les Mis.

Sacre Bleu  ;D

It opened in Sydney on Boxing Day and I wanted to see it but my sister's best friend has begun a yearly tradition of inviting us (my brother-in-law always goes sailing) to lunch and would be hurt if we declined.  Les Mis is so long, we could not work around it.  I flew home the next day and it does not open in NZ until January 10. My sister and her husband saw it as I flew home >:(.  She loved it but agrees Hugh had trouble with some of the songs, possibley a result of the songs being sung live as filmed.  My brother-in-law thought it a bit long.  I have seen it on stage 4 times, 3 by professionals and once by very good amateurs and have the 10th Anniversary DVD. 
I do not expect Russell Crowe to equal Philip Quast ( Another great Aussie, I am fairly sure he was Javert in at lesst 2 of the 3 professional performances I saw. } Rob Guest who sadly died in 2008 was  Jean Valjean in at  least one of the performances. He was an excellent singer. Probably Normie Rowe was Valjean the first time.  I first fell in love with Hugh Jackman as Curly, have never seen him as wolverine, not my sort of movie. My sister agrees the Thenardiers were ridiculous in the movie.  Am looking forward to the 10th, hope I will not be as disappointed as I was with the Hobbits.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Here is Anthony Lane's review from The New Yorker:

The long and thunderous film of “Les Misérables” arises from the stage musical, which itself was adapted from Victor Hugo’s enormous novel. Yet the story, at heart, is an intimate one. Valjean (Hugh Jackman) serves nineteen years for stealing a loaf of bread: a punishment that he regards as unjust, though in fact it reflects well on the status of French baking. Had he taken a croissant, it would have meant the guillotine. In 1815, he breaks parole, vanishes, and emerges eight years later as a respectable factory owner and the mayor of Montreuil. There he is dimly recognized as a former convict by Javert (Russell Crowe), the local police inspector. These two cross paths for the rest of the film, with Javert in panting pursuit. Would it be too fanciful to suggest that they have a thing for each other, to which they never confess? That would explain why Crowe and Jackman, both tough Australians, are made to sing at so agonized a pitch. Crowe launches into his lusty anthems as if a platoon of infantry, stationed in his immediate rear, had just fixed bayonets without giving sufficient warning.

Then, there is a layer of lesser plots. A poor wench named Fantine (Anne Hathaway), one of Valjean’s workers, loses her job, becomes a prostitute, and dies, though not before summoning enough puff to sing “I Dreamed a Dream.” She leaves a daughter, whom Valjean raises as his own. We jump to 1832, with Paris in a rebellious mood and the child, Cosette (Amanda Seyfried), all grown up. She draws the gaze of Marius (Eddie Redmayne), a young hothead, who, in turn, is the idol of his neighbor Éponine (Samantha Barks). And so the action gathers steam and comes to the barricades—or, to be exact, to a single barricade, with an anti-monarchist uprising represented by a small group of students sitting on a pile of furniture. The director is Tom Hooper, fresh from “The King’s Speech,” and you can’t help wondering if this shift into grandeur has confused his sense of scale. The camera soars on high, the orchestra bellows, and then, whenever somebody feels a song coming on, we are hustled in close, forsaking our bird’s-eye view for that of a consultant rhinologist.

The actors were recorded live as they belted out the big numbers, and Hathaway, in particular, takes full advantage, turning in precisely the sort of performance, down to the last sniff, that she would be the first to lampoon on “Saturday Night Live.” Not that you can blame her. She probably took one look at the material and realized that the only way to survive it was by the naked power of oomph. I was unprepared, having missed “Les Misérables” onstage, for the remarkable battle that flames between music and lyrics, each vying to be more uninspired than the other. The lyrics put up a good fight, but you have to hand it to the score: a cauldron of harmonic mush, with barely a hint of spice or a note of surprise. Some of Hooper’s cast acquit themselves with grace, notably Redmayne, and it’s a relief to see Sacha Baron Cohen, in the role of a seamy innkeeper, bid goodbye to Cosette with the wistful words “Farewell, Courgette.” One burst of farce, however, is not enough to redress the basic, inflationary bombast that defines “Les Misérables.” Fans of the original production, no doubt, will eat the movie up, and good luck to them. I screamed a scream as time went by.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
And then David Denby offers this:

January 3, 2013
THERE’S STILL HOPE FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE “LES MIS”

POSTED BY DAVID DENBY

I want to render a public service. I want to suggest that even if you were deeply moved by “Les Mis,” you can still save your soul. I don’t think you are damned forever. Salvation awaits. I realize that we are not supposed to argue about taste. De gustibus non est disputandum, as some Latin fellow said. But, in fact, critics do nothing but argue about taste. And I realize that emotion is even harder and riskier to argue about. But, as we have new experiences, emotions change. Therefore, in the interest of public health, I will try to bring cures to the troubled. But first, a few words about the movie version of “Les Misérables.”

I had never seen the show or heard the score; I came to the material fresh, without preconception, and throughout the entire hundred and fifty-seven minutes I sat cowering in my seat, lost in shame and chagrin. This movie is not just bad (“bombast,” as Anthony Lane characterized it in a wonderful review in the current issue of the magazine). It’s terrible; it’s dreadful. Overbearing, pretentious, madly repetitive. I was doubly embarrassed because all around me, in a very large theatre, people were sitting rapt, awed, absolutely silent, only to burst into applause after some of the numbers, and I couldn’t help wondering what in the world had happened to the taste of my countrymen—the Americans (Americans!) who created and loved almost all the greatest musicals ever made.

Didn’t any of my neighbors notice how absurdly gloomy and dolorous the story was? How the dominant blue-gray coloring was like a pall hanging over the material? How the absence of dancing concentrated all the audience’s pleasure on the threadbare songs? How tiresome a reverse fashion show the movie provided in rags, carbuncles, gimpy legs, and bad teeth? How awkward the staging was? How strange to have actors singing right into the camera, a normally benign recording instrument, which seems, in scene after scene, bent on performing a tonsillectomy?

Hugh Jackman, as the aggrieved Jean Valjean, delivers his numbers in a quavering, quivering, stricken voice—Jackman doesn’t sing, he brays. Russell Crowe as Javert, his implacable pursuer, stands on parapets overlooking all of Paris and dolefully sings of his duty to the law. Then he does it again. Everything is repeated, emphasized, doubled, as if to congratulate us on emotions we’ve already had. The young women, trembling like leaves in a storm, battered this way and that by men, never exercise much will or intelligence. Anne Hathaway, as Fantine, gets her teeth pulled, her hair chopped, and her body violated in a coffin box—a Joan of Arc who only suffers, a pure victim who never asserts herself. Hathaway, a total pro, gives everything to the role, exploiting those enormous eyes and wide mouth for its tragic-clown effect. Like almost everyone else, she sings through tears. Most of the performances are damp.

The music is juvenile stuff—tonic-dominant, without harmonic richness or surprise. Listen to any score by Richard Rodgers or Leonard Bernstein or Fritz Loewe if you want to hear genuine melodic invention. I was so upset by the banality of the music that I felt like hiring a hall and staging a nationalist rally. “My fellow-countrymen, we are the people of Jerome Kern and Irving Berlin! Cole Porter and George Gershwin, Frank Loesser and Burton Lane! We taught the world what popular melody was! What rhythmic inventiveness was! Let us unite to overthrow the banality of these French hacks!” (And the British hacks, too, for that matter.) Alas, the hall is filled with people weeping over “Les Mis.”

Is it sacrilege to point out that the Victor Hugo novel, stripped of its social detail and reduced to its melodramatic elements, no longer makes much sense? That the story doesn’t connect to our world (which may well be the reason for the show’s popularity)? Jean Valjean becomes a convict slave for nineteen years after stealing some bread for his sister’s child. He has done nothing wrong, yet he spends the rest of his life redeeming himself by committing one noble act after another, while Javert pursues him all over France. Wherever Valjean goes, Javert shows up; he’s everywhere at once, like the Joker in “The Dark Knight,” who was at least intended to be a fanciful creation.

Doesn’t Javert have anything else to do with his life? He seems less a relentless avatar of the law than merely daft—and a melodramatic contrivance. He doesn’t even have a streak of perversity—in his own stupid way, he’s meant to be noble, a man of conscience. Dare I suggest that the mutual obsession of Valjean and Javert is actually boring and morally insignificant? The relationship never develops; the two men never push beyond the surface of each other’s characters. And the implications of Jean Valjean’s complete innocence are dismaying. Suppose he had actually committed some sort of crime as a young man. Are we to infer that he wouldn’t be worth our tears if—like the rest of us—he were even slightly culpable? Saints do not make interesting heroes.

Every emotion in the movie is elemental. There’s no normal range, no offhand or incidental moments—it’s all injustice, love, heartbreak, cruelty, self-sacrifice, nobility, baseness. Which brings us to heart of the material’s appeal. As everyone knows, the stage show was a killer for girls between the ages of eight and about fourteen. If they have seen “Les Mis” and responded to it as young women, they remain loyal to the show—and to the emotions it evoked—forever. At that age, the sense of victimization is very strong, and “Les Mis” is all about victimization. That the story has nothing to with our own time makes the emotions in it more—not less—accessible, because feeling is not sullied by real-world associations. But whom, may I ask, is everyone crying for? For Jean Valjean? For Fantine? Fantine is hardly on the screen before she is destroyed. Indeed, I’ve heard of people crying on the way into the movie theatre. It can’t be the material itself that’s producing those tears. “Les Mis” offers emotion… about emotion.

But, you say, what’s wrong with a good cry? What harm does it do anyone? No harm. But I would like to point out that tears engineered this crudely are not emotions honestly earned, that the most cynical dictators, as Pauline Kael used to say, have manipulated emotions with the same kind of kitsch appeal to gut feelings. Sentimentality in art is corrosive because it rewards us for imprecise perceptions and meaningless hatreds. Revolution breaks out in “Les Mis.” What revolution? Against whom? In favor of what? It’s just revolution—the noble sacrifice of handsome, ardent boys taking on merciless power. The French military, those canaille, gun down the beautiful boys. It’s all so generic. The vagueness is insulting.

And now, the real point: our great musicals were something miraculous. They were a blessed artifice devoted to pleasure, to ease and movement, exultation in the human body, jokes and happy times, the giddiness of high hopes. Even the serious musicals, like “Carousel” and “West Side Story,” had their funny moments. (In fairness, there is comedy in “Les Mis,” in the form of the larcenous innkeepers played by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen, but they do the same damn pickpocket joke so many times that they hardly provide relief.) If you want emotion in a musical, please, if you’ve never seen it, catch the George Cukor version of “A Star is Born,” in which Judy Garland (John Lahr agrees with me on this) produces the single greatest moment in film-musical history. Late at night in a club, when she thinks no one is listening (while James Mason lurks in the shadows), she sings the Harold Arlen torch song “The Man That Got Away.” Overwhelming.

Here are my two cures for those suffering from absorption in “Les Mis.” Both of them are obvious.

Cure No. 1: Download the Astaire-Rogers “Top Hat” from Amazon. Throw it on a big screen if you can. Or download “Singin’ in the Rain,” with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds, or “The Band Wagon,” with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, or “An American in Paris,” with Kelly again. I will tell you right now that these movies will not make you cry. But if you’ve never seen them before, they may open an entirely new path to pleasure. See them twice, and you will put aside the maudlin nonsense of “Les Mis” forever.

Cure No, 2. “Les Mis,” as everyone knows, is sung all the way through, like an opera. It’s an opera, however, with music not worth listening to. But if you enjoy the convention of an entirely sung play, I suggest listening to another successful piece of musical theatre based on a work by Victor Hugo—Verdi’s “Rigoletto,” which has been running continuously more or less everywhere since 1851. “Rigoletto” is an adaptation of the Hugo play “Le Roi S’Amuse.” Another cruel and melodramatic story: A hunchback in a royal court tries to save his daughter from the overwhelming attractions of a seductive and handsome duke. He fails, the daughter dies, and the hunchback is crushed by fate, by curses, by his own efforts to save her. The entire piece, which is almost an hour shorter than “Les Mis,” exhibits a conciseness, power, and lyrical invention that remains devastating on the tenth hearing. No one would call “Rigoletto” sentimental. It is heartless and fragile, enraged and wounded, frivolous and tragic. Genuine emotions. The old Maria Callas performance, with Tito Gobbi as Rigoletto and Giuseppe di Stefano as the Duke, and with Tullio Serafin conducting the La Scala forces, is still the best version, and it can be had for exactly $11.99 from ArkivMusic. Walk gingerly into the dark, an act at a time. Therein lies salvation.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Here's another review making the rounds on Facebook.  Good for some chuckles.  ;D

Les Miserables Taught Me How to Hate Again

Posted on December 28, 2012
by The Matt Walsh Blog

Last night I went to a showing of Les Miserables. And when I say “went to” I mean “hogtied and dragged at gun point by my wife, her sister and her mom”. By the looks of many of the other men in that crowded overheated theater, I was not the only hostage victim in attendance. In fact I saw one dude commit Hara-kiri while shouting “death before dishonor” in the parking lot prior to the screening. At first I thought he was slightly overreacting. And then the movie started.

I have to say, after watching the entire film, it was actually a thousand times worse than I could have imagined. Les Miserables will stand forever as the most miserable cinematic experience I’ve ever suffered through. And this is coming from a guy who saw “Christmas with the Kranks” in theaters, so that should tell you something.

Let me run through a few points about this excruciating horror show for anyone, especially any man, who has not yet been forced to endure it.

Les Miserables apparently holds the Guinness world record for longest musical about a minor parole violation. It tells the utterly pointless tale of an ex-con as he tries to elude a bumbling parole officer for 20 years. This is also, it should be mentioned, the first film to show two decades pass by in real time. So if you’re heading to the theater tonight make sure to pack a change of clothes. My wife told me afterward that the movie, despite its torturous running time, actually CUT OUT several scenes from the original play. Too bad they didn’t cut out more scenes. Like every scene. Of course it didn’t have to be that long. Hugh Jackman, the criminal guy, could have just, you know, MOVED OUT OF THE FREAKING CITY IF HE DIDN’T WANT TO BE CAUGHT. Instead this whole game of cat-and-mouse between Jackman and Russell Crowe takes place in one neighborhood. The dumbest criminal of the millennium vs. a law enforcement officer that makes every Leslie Nielsen character look like Sherlock Holmes in comparison.

Oh. But it gets worse. Much worse. They sing. Dear God do they sing. They sing EVERYTHING. Look, I know it’s a musical. I get it. I’ve seen Fiddler on the Roof and The Sound of Music and West Side Story. They sing in those films/plays also. But then they break up the musical numbers with normal dialogue. But that’s just too simple and not nearly irritating enough, according to the maniac who wrote this tornado of crap. Every single line in the movie is sung. It doesn’t matter how pedestrian the dialogue, they have to put it to music: “Pass the salt”, “Hang on I gotta take a leak”, etc. All put to song. My sister-in-law cried throughout the whole movie. I cried tears of blissful joy when Russell Crowe threw himself off a bridge at the end because it meant he’d finally stop singing. BUT EVEN THAT DIDN’T STOP HIM. All the dead people had to come back before the credits for one last encore. By the way, Crowe, you’re the guy who played the gladiator but now you will live in infamy as the most awkward casting decision in Hollywood history. You reminded me of someone’s dad who was tossed into the school play at the last minute after his son came down with laryngitis on opening night.

But let’s talk about the “big” musical numbers. You don’t need to buy the soundtrack. I’ll sum up every song in the movie. Here you go: “I’m so lonely, I’m so alone, look at me my life is hard, I’m alone, I’m on my own, there’s this empty chair here, it’s empty because I’m alone, I’m lonely, all this bad stuff has happened to me because of my inexcusably stupid life choices, I’m alone, I feel so alone, on my own, on my own, on my own, did I mention I’m on my oooooowwwwwn?”

Not a dry eye in the house after we heard that one. For the 40th time.

Vapid, shallow, predictable, self indulgent and emotionally manipulative. “BUT IT’S A CLASSIC!” No. No it’s not. Who cares if the play has been around for a while? Malaria has been around for a while. Just because something is old doesn’t make it a “classic”.

And I haven’t even mentioned the fact that half the characters in this flick– which is set in France — have an inexplicable limey British chimney sweep accent. That would make sense for Mary Poppins but not this. Incidentally THAT’S a musical I’d sooner watch 5 times in a row before being subjected to another 3 minutes of Les Miserables.

Then, two thirds of the way through the movie, we get the obligatory tragic love story. Here’s how it goes: a young French revolutionary spots a blonde chick across the street. The two lock eyes and literally THAT NIGHT the dumb desperate loser is singing about how he’d “die for her”. Really? And I’m supposed to become psychologically invested in a plot device that has just reduced the beauty, joy, pain and sacrifice of romantic love to something you can catch like a cold or fall into like a puddle? I know Hollywood has been peddling that nonsense for ages but this was simply too much to cope with.

To make matters worse we’re all supposed to be super impressed because the songs (and by “songs” I mean “every single word uttered during the course of the entire picture”) are performed live instead of being recorded in a studio and dubbed into the film. “GEE WOW I’M SO ENAMORED WITH YOUR ARTISTIC INTEGRITY”. Is that the reaction I’m supposed to have? I don’t know because my initial reaction was something like “Man, this sounds awful”. Instead of lip syncing pre-recorded songs, the actors sputtered out of key while choking back tears and gasping for breath. It was like listening to someone sing karaoke while being chased by a swarm of African killer bees. Coincidentally, that is the actual premise of a reality show on TruTV. Except that show likely has more depth and intelligence. I don’t care if the “let’s do it live” move was “revolutionary”. Not all revolutions are good. Just ask France.

I could go on. But I won’t. I hated Les Miserables with a violent passion. Let’s leave it at that.

And at this: my wife now has to watch four mob movies, three war movies and two History Channel documentaries with me.

That’s the exchange rate.

Sorry, honey, I don’t make the rules. But I will enforce them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm.....maybe I won't see it after all.....  ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

I wish I could have had a career making money by writing such drivel.
I hope to see the movie on Thursday when it opens in NZ. I watched the 10 year performance on youtube last week. I only just found out the complete performance was there (I only have the CDnot DVD.) It was a wonderful few hours. I do not know about the film as yet but I woud go and see the stage performance over and over again if money allowed. I like Rigoletto but once every 5 years is enough. Like most operas there are great parts but long boring parts while I marvel at how Les Mis is just marvellous from start to finsih. I had to rush to the bathroom as I was not sure if I stopped youtube it would start again at the same place. ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I wish I could have had a career making money by writing such drivel.

Maybe you ought to specify which is the "drivel," Brian, the reviews or Les Miz?  8)

Sheesh, I can't believe how much some people are hating on this film. Never mind that I have no intention of seeing it. I also can't believe that Denby never saw the show on stage. Heck, even I've seen in on stage--road company at the Forrest Theater here in Philadelphia--and I didn't think it was that bad--though once was enough.

The decision to record the singers "live" for the movie does seem kinda dumb, though. I wonder how many "takes" some numbers took.

Offline brianr

I have just seen it. :)

I went to the very first session in our city. Met 3 ladies with whom I hike every week so had company. Not sure a good idea as I had tears streaming down my face at the end. That probably confimed their suspicions of my sexuality.  ;D
It was far more realistic than the stage performances. I found this a bit off putting at first but adapted to it. I thought Russell Crowe was better than expected but agree Hugh Jackman would not go down as the greatest Jean Valjean voice wise. Possibly the makeup did not help but I think he is ageing like us all  ;D.

I did not think Anne Hathaway was the best singer of "I dreamed a dream" that I have heard but her acting was superb. Probably I have listened to "I dreamed a dream"so often that it no longer affects me so much.  It is "A heart full of love" and "Bring him home" that always causes the tears to flow now, closely followed by "Empty chairs at Empty tables".  I think "Red and Black" is one of the most stirring songs I know. I missed being able to clap wildly as in the theatre.  I was impressed with the voices of both Eddie Redmayne (Marius) and Samantha Barks (Eponine).
I do not think Eddie is the most handsome Marius I have seen. I wondered where I knew his face and find he was  in "My Week with Marilyn" where I thought he was good and his lack of stunning looks, more the boy next door, helped in that part.

I am keen to go again perhaps in 2 or 3 weeks, or I might just wait and buy the DVD.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
"Empty chairs at Empty tables"

Now that you mention it, I remember that one from the road company/stage production I saw. I remember thinking it was a very affecting song.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
For the record, Oscar nominations out today include Anne for Best Supporting Actress, Hugh for Best Actor, the picture for Best Picture, but Tom Hooper missed out on the Best Director category.  The site I was looking at predicts Anne will win.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
If Anne was supporting who was the lead actress in Les Miz?

I must confess that I've never read the book, seen the play, and haven't seen the movie. The Francophile part of my education is woefully lacking. Growing up in the Midwest, we only had time to read one book related to the French Revolution and that was A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, a Brit. I took five years of French and studied Le Petit Prince, which I thought kind of silly, and also the food writer MFK Fisher (who was American, but wrote about France). Come to think of it, a lot of the works about France I've read or seen are through the lens of foreigners, even La Boheme, an opera in Italian about mid-19th century Paris, and, of course, Midnight in Paris, by Woody Allen. For a time I was fasinated by the French New Wave directors but there again, some of them seemed kind of silly, such as Jules and Jim and Godard's Breathless.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
If Anne was supporting who was the lead actress in Les Miz?

I must confess that I've never read the book, seen the play, and haven't seen the movie. The Francophile part of my education is woefully lacking. Growing up in the Midwest, we only had time to read one book related to the French Revolution and that was A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, a Brit. I took five years of French and studied Le Petit Prince, which I thought kind of silly, and also the food writer MFK Fisher (who was American, but wrote about France). Come to think of it, a lot of the works about France I've read or seen are through the lens of foreigners, even La Boheme, an opera in Italian about mid-19th century Paris, and, of course, Midnight in Paris, by Woody Allen. For a time I was fasinated by the French New Wave directors but there again, some of them seemed kind of silly, such as Jules and Jim and Godard's Breathless.

Good question. Maybe it's the grown-up Cosette?

I can't remember that I've ever read the entire novel, either. I may have read parts of it. I know for sure I've read one excerpt that makes a very effective short story as "The Bishop's Candlesticks." I believe that's the story of the act of kindness that turns around Jean Valjean, and also gives him the money to make a new start.

I thought The Little Prince was kind of silly, too.  As for Victor Hugo, I prefer Notre Dame de Paris, aka in English, The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I've wanted to see La Boheme ever since Cher went to see it in Moonstruck.  ;D I was reminded of Moonstruck when I read a comment, somewhere, about Anne singing while her character is dying in Les Miz. In Moonstruck, Cher says something similar about Mimi in La Boheme.  ;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
I don't think there is a leading actress in Les Mis.  Adult Cosette is also a supporting role.

Kinda like our film, there were wonderful supporting actresses, but no lead actress.

There is a lot of French culture that is not silly, but that's for another topic.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Hmmm, now we've opened up a puzzlement that I'd like to explore. In the area of cuisine you would think the French reign supreme, but there again Julia Child was the foremost champion in modern times. And before her it took Catherine de Medici to start the French interest and expertise in food preparation. Before her the French didn't even have forks!

It seems to me the arena where the French are most supreme, IMHO, is in exploration and adventure. I am particularly thinking of Jacques Cousteau, Maurice Herzog and Jean Claude Killy, the skier.

Offline brianr

Hmmm, now we've opened up a puzzlement that I'd like to explore. In the area of cuisine you would think the French reign supreme, but there again Julia Child was the foremost champion in modern times. And before her it took Catherine de Medici to start the French interest and expertise in food preparation. Before her the French didn't even have forks!
I had to look up Julia Child in Wikipedia, the name was familiar, I now realise from the film Julie and Julia.
 It says: "She is recognized for bringing French cuisine to the American public with her debut cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and her subsequent television programs, the most notable of which was The French Chef, which premiered in 1963."

So she just translated the supreme French cuisine for you Americans.  ;D

Catherine de Medici was in the 16th century. She introduced the fork from Italy. It did not take off in England (and I guess the US) until the 18th century. I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Catherine de Medici was in the 16th century. She introduced the fork from Italy. It did not take off in England (and I guess the US) until the 18th century. I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.

Forks were considered foreign (you know how zenophobic the English are) and  ... effeminate.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Well, I didn't watch the awards last night, but I hear that Les Miserables won three awards, including the ones won by Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

Well, I didn't watch the awards last night, but I hear that Les Miserables won three awards, including the ones won by Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

and Best motion picture, comedy or musical.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

Watching the Nepali people eat would drive you crazy, brian. Their national dish is a large mound of white rice with a lentil soup spooned over it, sometimes with some curried vegetables on the side. It is called daal bhat. No utensils are used. The diner makes his right hand into a sort of scoop and scoops up the rice-daal mixture, dips the rice covered hand over the dish a few times to shake off excess moisture and then shovels it into the mouth. There are no napkins used either. The left hand is not used in eating because it is used in the bathroom. Shudder!

Offline brianr

Watching the Nepali people eat would drive you crazy, brian. Their national dish is a large mound of white rice with a lentil soup spooned over it, sometimes with some curried vegetables on the side. It is called daal bhat. No utensils are used. The diner makes his right hand into a sort of scoop and scoops up the rice-daal mixture, dips the rice covered hand over the dish a few times to shake off excess moisture and then shovels it into the mouth. There are no napkins used either. The left hand is not used in eating because it is used in the bathroom. Shudder!
I have been to Nepal way back in 1974.
Although I stayed in a grade 2 hotel,  I went to the top hotel for dinner.  I discovered my umbrella was useful as they threw their slops over the balcony. Butcher shops cut up the meat on the pavement.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
I do not think I would like to watch the average Englishman eat in the 16th century.

Table customs varied with social class and changed as the century progessed.