Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Most annoying/least favorite holiday songs

(1/19) > >>

Jeff Wrangler:
I can't believe this hasn't been discussed, if not here, then in the polling place,  but I just did a general search of the site for "most annoying christmas songs" and nothing turned up.  ???

Anyway, I have three songs that I dislike intensely: The Beatles' "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time," Jose Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad," and "The Little Drummer Boy," no matter who sings it!

I think the reason I dislike these songs so intensely is that once I hear one of them, it's stuck in my brain for hours and hours!  :laugh:

If anybody can find a preexisting thread on this topic, kindly bump it? Thanks!  ;D

Sheriff Roland:
Good subject for a thread Jeff...

but I must say, your choices are not prime 'annoying' fodder for me; I actually like "The Little Drummer Boy" and I really really like "Feliz Navidad".

My most hated (can't just call it annoying) holiday tune is, hands down, "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer". It was odd the first time I heard it, but each subsequent hearing just makes me dislike it more.

BTW, that's a Paul McCartney recording, not a Beatles's  song.

Lynne:

--- Quote from: Sheriff Roland on December 19, 2011, 03:03:26 pm ---...
My most hated (can't just call it annoying) holiday tune is, hands down, "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer". It was odd the first time I heard it, but each subsequent hearing just makes me dislike it more.
--- End quote ---

That is a vile song and is just one more redneck embarrassment, IMO.  Not at all like 'Tender Tennessee Christmas' or 'Christmas in Dixie', not that I can get anyone else interested in hearing them.   :P

On the other hand, I've decided I actually like 'Santa Baby' - repetition will do that as well, it turns out.  :)

I like almost all of the carols - 'Good King Wenceslas' has terrific lyrics.

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: Sheriff Roland on December 19, 2011, 03:03:26 pm ---BTW, that's a Paul McCartney recording, not a Beatles's  song.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. Now I can just blame Sir Paul and not all of the Beatles.  ;D

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: Lynne on December 19, 2011, 03:24:47 pm ---That is a vile song and is just one more redneck embarrassment, IMO.  Not at all like 'Tender Tennessee Christmas' or 'Christmas in Dixie', not that I can get anyone else interested in hearing them.   :P
--- End quote ---

Never heard of them, much less heard them.  :(

I confess I find "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" still good for laughs and something of an antidote to all the saccharine one hears this time of year.

--- Quote ---On the other hand, I've decided I actually like 'Santa Baby' - repetition will do that as well, it turns out.  :)
--- End quote ---

Check the "Glee" thread; did I read somewhere that the gay boys do that one? I know I've read that Michael Buble does an interesting version. But I can't imagine that anyone outdoes the great Eartha Kitt.

--- Quote ---I like almost all of the carols - 'Good King Wenceslas' has terrific lyrics.

--- End quote ---

That one, along with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." is one of John Mason Neale's Victorian fake medieval carols. Sounds good when played by a brass ensemble, I think.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version