Author Topic: The Hobbit: the official trailer  (Read 26824 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The Hobbit: the official trailer
« on: December 21, 2011, 01:15:55 am »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Hobbit: the official trailer
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:02:11 am »
That looks wonderful!  How will I be able to wait a whole year?  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:41 am »
I can't WAIT to see this! Of all the books, this one was my favorite!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:55:09 am »
I can't WAIT to see this! Of all the books, this one was my favorite!

Mine, too. I read the whole trilogy once through--it's just what one did when I was in college--and also The Silmarillon, but I've re-read The Hobbit a couple of times.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »
Funny I am the opposite. I cannot count how often I have read the trilogy, probably a dozen times. Only once since the movies came out but I have watched them right through about 5 times. I have only read the Hobbit once. I am afraid the actor for young Bilbo is not as cute as Elijah Wood. However there is my beloved country's scenery. I have bought most of Tolkien's books but the others are hard to read. Never managed to finish the Silmarillion and 'Unfinished Tales' has been sitting by my bed for about 3 months.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:53:13 pm »
I am afraid the actor for young Bilbo is not as cute as Elijah Wood.

I wouldn't think Bilbo is supposed to be cute.

But then, I admit it's now been many years since my last re-reading, but I remember always picturing Bilbo as "mature."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:41 pm »
Hm, looks interesting, and I loved the singing.

Since I've seen the trilogy, I'll probably see this one too.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:28:51 pm »
the Hobbits new hottie

Richard Armitage

If you can´t wait to Christmas, this special christmas episode of the Vicar of Dibley gives you a chance to discover Hobbits new hottie, Richard Armitage. I can tell you, you won´t be dissapointed.  ;D  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0S81PqOf84&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:55:24 pm by sophytofu »

Offline brianr

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:38:19 pm »
I did not recognise him in the trailer. I have always gone weak at the knees over Richard Armitage  ;) He was also in one of the many Robin Hood shows on TV. He played Guy of Gisborne  a villain in black leather, he could have had his wicked way with me any day  ;D

Offline Sophia

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
I did not recognise him in the trailer. I have always gone weak at the knees over Richard Armitage  ;) He was also in one of the many Robin Hood shows on TV. He played Guy of Gisborne  a villain in black leather, he could have had his wicked way with me any day  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I totally see that.

Are You a member of Richard Armitage Army?

Offline brianr

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »

I totally see that.

Are You a member of Richard Armitage Army?
Had never heard of it, perhaps I will explore it after Christmas but I am not one for fan sites, often wonder why I am here.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

I have always thought of Bilbo, as an ordinary Hobbit.  In every way.  He just went beyond himself, and did very extraordinary things.  Hobbits are not happy doing anything, except for drinking resting and eating.  It was the thing that made him so special.  He went outside himself.  He did the unthinkable, as per his life as a Hobbit.

It was the first book that I read of Tolkien's.  I then read the trilogy, and every time they came out with a new portrayal of them, I was right there to watch.  I have to say; there has never been one that came close to the movies that Jackson has done.  Not even close.  I venture to say this will be the best that it can be.  He is a genius at these.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sophia

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
Had never heard of it, perhaps I will explore it after Christmas but I am not one for fan sites, often wonder why I am here.

For me bettermost has become something much more.... it´s a friendship on several levels. Thats makes it a bite different then just a fan site, for me.

Offline Sophia

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »

Some other delicious goodies for Christmas.  ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtfBC-qa-YA&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:38:06 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0S81PqOf84&feature=related[/youtube]

Thanks for posting this, Sophia!

It made me watch all six parts of it, and cheered me up considerably! (and totally ruined my plans of getting stuff done tonight)  ::)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »
The trailer is getting good buzz, but alas of all the Tolkien books I read, The Hobbit is my least favorite.

Yes, Bilbo was never 'young'.  He was at least 50 years old in the book as I recall.

Remember who was writing the book.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 09:13:00 pm »

The trailer is getting good buzz, but alas of all the Tolkien books I read, The Hobbit is my least favorite.

Yes, Bilbo was never 'young'.  He was at least 50 years old in the book as I recall.

Remember who was writing the book.

Yes, true, but, as Tolkien explains, Hobbits are not Men; 50 for a Hobbit is quite another thing (Frodo came of age at 33 rather than our 21, and I'll  certainly never manage "Eleventy-one" or more as Bilbo did).

:laugh:

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »
I have only read the Hobbit once. I am afraid the actor for young Bilbo is not as cute as Elijah Wood. However there is my beloved country's scenery. I have bought most of Tolkien's books but the others are hard to read. Never managed to finish the Silmarillion and 'Unfinished Tales' has been sitting by my bed for about 3 months.

Yes, Elijah Wood is hard to beat for cuteness.  I remember being put off by how good-looking and young he was at first, since my picture of Frodo from the books was quite different, but I grew to like him very much.  Martin Freeman, the young Bilbo, looks more hobbity and, if you squint, looks more or less like Ian Holm, the older Bilbo.

Of Tolkien's other books, I found The Silmarillion challenging but very rewarding and really appreciated knowing how it all feeds in to the characters and story of The Hobbit and the Trilogy.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »

My memory is also that of all the books, The Hobbit is the one that is most a tale for children.

Of Tolkien's other books, I found The Silmarillion challenging but very rewarding and really appreciated knowing how it all feeds in to the characters and story of The Hobbit and the Trilogy.

I liked The Silmarillion.

Offline Sophia

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Thanks for posting this, Sophia!

It made me watch all six parts of it, and cheered me up considerably! (and totally ruined my plans of getting stuff done tonight)  ::)

Yeah! it´s so, hilarious. I love it.

They are so adoreble as a couple.

I just love the British humor. When its like this.

I am glad I could inspire you to something funny!

Have a nice evening tonight!  ;D 

Offline brianr

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »
Have just found the latest blog about filming "the Hobbit"  Part was on our news last night but I received a phone call just before it was shown.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150720773691807&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater

The Strath Taieri plains and the Rock and Pillar range are about 50km from my home and during the summer I have been up there nearly every week volunteering on the train that takes cruise ship passengers through our lovely scenery. I have just spent 3 weeks driving  up to the very top of NZ and was on Mount Ruapehu  (but it was raining) and had lunch at Pelorus Gorge. At this time of the year there is little snow but I often wished I could stop the car and photograph the scene in front of me but then around the corner it is is just as good or better. Obviously I have not been up in a helicopter but I am just so thankful I now live in such a beautiful country.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »
Thanks for that clip, Brian.  I can't wait to see this movie!  What an amazingly beautiful country New Zealand is.  I think Tolkien was channeling it from afar when he wrote his books.  And you're lucky enough to have it at your doorstep.  Nice!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 02:40:38 pm »

What a wondrous place you live Brian.  I think we just got a taste of it in the other movies, and this looks even more exciting.
Thanks for putting this up.  I said before, I can hardly wait for this one.

Beautiful mind

Offline brianr

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:34 pm »

Offline brianr

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 03:00:02 pm »
New Zealand Post has unveiled a selection of commemorative stamps and coins ahead of Wellington’s world premier of Peter Jackson’s first The Hobbit film.

Six special stamps and 15 coins – which are legal tender – will go on sale in November, a few weeks before the red carpet is rolled out.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Hobbit-coins-and-stamps-unveiled/tabid/423/articleID/271618/Default.aspx#ixzz28S6xJV3V

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17:59 am »
New Zealand Post has unveiled a selection of commemorative stamps and coins ahead of Wellington’s world premier of Peter Jackson’s first The Hobbit film.

Six special stamps and 15 coins – which are legal tender – will go on sale in November, a few weeks before the red carpet is rolled out.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Hobbit-coins-and-stamps-unveiled/tabid/423/articleID/271618/Default.aspx#ixzz28S6xJV3V

Ooh, pretty!  8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brianr

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:06 pm »
Air New Zealand has just displayed its hobbit themed airplane. Coming to a sky near you  ;D
http://tvnz.co.nz/hobbit-news/air-nz-unveil-inspired-plane-5234910

All excitement here with the premier in Wellington (sorry The middle of middle earth) next Wednesday.
Unfortunately it will not screen here in Dunedin until December 12. I see it is Dec 14 in the USA.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28:28 am »
Air New Zealand has just displayed its hobbit themed airplane. Coming to a sky near you  ;D
http://tvnz.co.nz/hobbit-news/air-nz-unveil-inspired-plane-5234910

All excitement here with the premier in Wellington (sorry The middle of middle earth) next Wednesday.
Unfortunately it will not screen here in Dunedin until December 12. I see it is Dec 14 in the USA.

Cool plane!  I'll definitely plan to see the movie before Christmas.  Not sure I want to brave the opening crowds the first week.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »
Now, the Hobbit is considered a prequal to LoTR

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sophia

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSoD4BBCJc[/youtube]

All the hype around the premiere, made me want to see the trailer again, and WHAT DID I DISCOVER, Richard Armitage sings, I can't believe I haven´t notice that before. He has such a powerful voice, very deep and sensitive. I love it, can't wait to hear more of him.  

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 05:14:24 pm »
Richard *thud* Armitage

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FcSm1wUu0&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Richard *thud* Armitage

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FcSm1wUu0&feature=related[/youtube]

oh my god! I love him there toooo.

Offline brianr

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »
oh my god! I love him there toooo.
I did not recognise him  ;D He made my heart go pitter pat in the TV Robin Hood series. dressed all in leather ;D

Offline brianr

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:35 pm »
Now, the Hobbit is considered a prequal to LoTR
Yes the Hobbit was written quite a while (nearly 20 years) before LOTR.  I read it after  LOTR and was disappointed and have never read it again while I have read LOTR at least half a dozen times.  I bought the Hobbit a few weeks ago. I am hoping the movies will regenerate interest in it for me. I have quite a few Tolkien books but some are a bit hard going.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »
Yes the Hobbit was written quite a while (nearly 20 years) before LOTR.  I read it after  LOTR and was disappointed and have never read it again while I have read LOTR at least half a dozen times.  I bought the Hobbit a few weeks ago. I am hoping the movies will regenerate interest in it for me. I have quite a few Tolkien books but some are a bit hard going.

That was my reaction to the trilogy when I read it back in my college days, and Tolkien completely lost me when I got to the talking trees.  :-\ Made me think of the talking apple trees in The Wizard of Oz.  :-\ Nevertheless, I slogged my way through to the end of the trilogy. But The Hobbit I've always found quite charming, and, oddly, my memory is that I also enjoyed The Silmarillion.  :-\ I might actually consider rereading The Silmarillion some day. But I saw the trailer for The Hobbit when I saw Lincoln Saturday night, and it also looks charming.

A tad OT, but since I mentioned The Wizard of Oz, I will also mention that Saturday I also saw the trailer for Oz, the Great and Powerful, which looked like lots of fun.  :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
That was my reaction to the trilogy when I read it back in my college days, and Tolkien completely lost me when I got to the talking trees. :-\ Made me think of the talking apple trees in The Wizard of Oz.  :-\ Nevertheless, I slogged my way through to the end of the trilogy. But The Hobbit I've always found quite charming, and, oddly, my memory is that I also enjoyed The Silmarillion.  :-\ I might actually consider rereading The Silmarillion some day. But I saw the trailer for The Hobbit when I saw Lincoln Saturday night, and it also looks charming.

I know that parts of the Trilogy aren't for everyone, but Treebeard is actually one of my favorite characters, so original, unexpected and ancient.  It's as if one of the old redwoods could speak and give up his wisdom of thousands of years.

The Hobbit is light and charming in comparison to the Trilogy because it was conceived and delivered as a children's story that Tolkien told to his own kids.  The Fellowship of the Ring began a real adult story with a more serious tone.  I'm glad you liked The Silmarillion.  It's the Creation and the fall of Lucifer and Man and all sorts of great stories strung together--really different from LOTR, but if you've read it, the Trilogy feels richer, like a new city built on top of an old ruined one.

What's really odd is that the comparatively simple story of  The Hobbit will now be three movies.  By that measure, LOTR should have actually been 9 movies!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »
The Hobbit is light and charming in comparison to the Trilogy because it was conceived and delivered as a children's story that Tolkien told to his own kids.  The Fellowship of the Ring began a real adult story with a more serious tone.  I'm glad you liked The Silmarillion.  It's the Creation and the fall of Lucifer and Man and all sorts of great stories strung together.

At the time it sort of felt like reading Scripture.  ;D

What's really odd is that the comparatively simple story of  The Hobbit will now be three movies.  By that measure, LOTR should have actually been 9 movies!  ;D

Oh, good grief. I could see two--after all, the subtitle is "Or, There and Back Again"--so I could see one movie for "There" and another for "Back Again," but three?  ::)

Maybe I'll just re-read the book. It's been a while.

Offline brianr

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
The country is going mad. There are special tv news casts this morning and afternoon and last night the weather forecast included a front creeping gollum like up the south island and troll winds blowing over Wellington  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
The country is going mad. There are special tv news casts this morning and afternoon and last night the weather forecast included a front creeping gollum like up the south island and troll winds blowing over Wellington  ;D

:laugh:  :laugh:

I can imagine, brian.  I've seen a few reports and videos about the big premiere.  But it's a sweet fandom and one suited to Kiwis.  Better than a horror franchise!  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sophia

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:42 pm »

:laugh: :laugh:

Has it gone to far? Any name change? Kiwis to Hobbis, P-iwis (People from middlehearth), or my favorite, Armitage´s Army.

Offline brianr

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

Has it gone to far? Any name change? Kiwis to Hobbis, P-iwis (People from middlehearth), or my favorite, Armitage´s Army.
Our capital city, Wellington where the premiere is being held is officially called Middle of Middle Earth for this week only

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
Livestream video of the World Premiere going on now:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie?sk=app_173795602763999
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sophia

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:31 am »
I love the weather. Looks so cosy and warm.

Offline brianr

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
McKellen wants to get married in 'Middle Earth'

The gay-rights advocate last night addressed a marriage equality conference in Wellington via a video shot in London, GayNZ.com reported.

In the brief clip he said that ever since New Zealand women were given the vote before any other country in the world, New Zealand was looked at for social advance.

"And here we are again."

Parliament is currently considering a bill which will allow same-sex marriage.

The bill, sponsored by Labour MP Louisa Wall, passed its first vote and is currently before select committee.

Sir Ian said his support was with New Zealand and the change.

"I hope that by the time I get back to Middle Earth I might even be able to get married."

Sir Ian was absent at this week's Hobbit premiere in Wellington, but again addressed the crowds via a video.

In it he called New Zealand his "spiritual home".

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/237426/mckellen-wants-get-married-middle-earth

Offline brianr

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
I am very disappointed. I saw each of the LOTR movies twice in the cinema and at least once on my purchased DVDs. Not interested in seeing the Hobbit again. I was looking at my watch to see when it would end. I did read the book again a few weeks ago and actually liked it this time. Perhaps I should not have done so as I was comparing the differences. In LOTR there were some parts of the book omitted. Understandable or each movie would have been 5 hours. This time a lot has been added. A lot is to relate the story to the LOTR saga. I am not sure how much was actually in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the Hobbit 20 years earlier. Galadriel is brought in and the brown wizard Radergast?as well as Saruman.  However I think a lot was added so they could include more visual effects, chases and  fighting which never impresses me.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »

BBC Archival Footage-In
Their Own Words British Authors
J.R.R. Tolkien
Part 1

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-4vMEiQ_U[/youtube]
Uploaded on Aug 23, 2010 by Eruantano

Part 2
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Ca5TUYB1nlw&NR=1[/youtube]
Uploaded on Nov 13, 2010 by Eruantano

Some great archival footage just released from BBC on Tolkien that was first aired in 1968.This is an episode from BBC's series "In Their Own Words British Authors". Official synopsis:

"John Izzard meets with JRR Tolkien at his home, walking with him through the Oxford locations that he loves while hearing the author's own views about his wildly successful high-fantasy novels. Tolkien shares his love of nature and beer and his admiration for 'trenchermen' in this genial and affectionate programme. The brief interviews with Oxford students that are dotted throughout reveal the full range of opinions elicited by 'The Lord of the Rings', from wild enthusiasm to mild contempt."

This footage is entirely owned by BBC. I am in no way affiliated with BBC or the Tokien Estate or anyone who may be associated with this video.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcjBzP7H-E[/youtube]
Uploaded on Feb 4, 2008 by TolkienLibrary

For the release of The Children of Hurin  the BBC's Newsnight  program was given access to the book and an interview with Tolkien himself, which has never been broadcast before. Razia Iqbal from BBC also interviewed Adam Tolkien on The Children of Hurin  in the same broadcast.

Transcript can be found here:
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/814-Tolkien_1968_BBC_Interview.php

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »

The Queen of Denmark
and
the Hobbit

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark)  illustrates and paints under the pseudonym Ingahild Grathmer, and her woodcut style art was used to illustrate some editions of The Hobbit  and The Lord of the Rings.

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »
I am very disappointed. I saw each of the LOTR movies twice in the cinema and at least once on my purchased DVDs. Not interested in seeing the Hobbit again. I was looking at my watch to see when it would end. I did read the book again a few weeks ago and actually liked it this time. Perhaps I should not have done so as I was comparing the differences. In LOTR there were some parts of the book omitted. Understandable or each movie would have been 5 hours. This time a lot has been added. A lot is to relate the story to the LOTR saga. I am not sure how much was actually in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the Hobbit 20 years earlier. Galadriel is brought in and the brown wizard Radergast?as well as Saruman. However I think a lot was added so they could include more visual effects, chases and  fighting which never impresses me.

The minute you read they were going 3D and IMAX in this, that would be the tipoff that that is exactly what they were going to do.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »
Here is my first take on The Hobbit, which I saw a week ago.  Most fan reviews I've read are positive and similar in spirit to mine, while movie critics tend to be less forgiving, naturally.  ;D

The Hobbit – 1st viewing  (Spoilers galore!)

I had such a good time at this movie! For the first 40 minutes at least, I had a big grin from ear to ear that just wouldn’t go away. The physical beauty of this Middle-earth is just so rich and so lovingly done that you want to reach out and hug it. Hobbiton from overhead, gorgeous Bag End, ravishing Frodo, dear old Ian Holm, followed by adorable Martin Freeman, beloved Gandalf and the wonderfully varied Dwarves, Bilbo’s pantry (!), the trunk with, o joy, an Alan Lee portrait of the young Bilbo to match the one he did of Elijah’s Frodo—are just a Tolkien fan’s dream. And I didn’t expect the wonderful back story showing Erebor in its glory along with Dale, followed by the destruction of Smaug and the sad turning away of the Elves. That was fabulous!

I re-read The Hobbit just last week, a dangerous thing given PJ’s habit of taking hold of canon, tweaking it, twisting it, turning it on its head and then completely tossing it out. The tarting up of the story was shameless. But it’s a tribute to how wonderful everything else was that I didn’t much care. (It certainly helped to have come to terms with the embroiderments in TTT and ROTK already.) I put up with the endless extraneous Warg attacks, the Azog bit and the reworking of the troll scene (no discernible improvement on Tolkien). More bothersome was the drumming up of some sort of dramatic tension between Thorin and Bilbo. Radagast and his rabbits were a hoot, and I loved the preview of the spiders and the Nazgul at Dol Guldur. The lovely scenes in Rivendell were a treat, though I wish Saruman hadn’t been such a git. It would be nice to see a better, wiser wizard before we are given the diminished one of the Two Towers. Then the Dwarves leaving without saying goodbye properly to Elrond made me sad; I guess the writers think everyone’s getting along is just boring. The stone giants and goblins were great, though the chase scenes were way too long and chaotic; Gollum/Bilbo going at it were spot on. I like that PJ took time with the big moment before Bilbo leaped over Gollum to escape (and the familiar theme of the Ring and of other parts of the story were great to hear, just like an opera!). The last scene with the Wargs was just over the top corny Hollywood shtick, especially the attack led by heroic Bilbo. I was rolling my eyes a lot. The ending with the thrush and Smaug’s awakening, though? Superb!

I thought the casting and performances were a big success, though I did think Ian’s Gandalf was a bit mannered at times. Maybe he always was, and that’s just who his Gandalf is. I love him anyway. Martin Freeman couldn’t be more perfect with his combination of down-to-earth hobbityness and spunk. Richard Armitage as Thorin is so noble looking, I expect him to be above all that surly, suspicious stuff he’s given to do.

I think we’re in for quite a ride in the next two movies. There really is a lot of story to tell, and with PJ’s extra excursions into whateverland, it should be a great deal of fun.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:29 pm »

John, thank you for that wonderful artwork by Queen Margrethe.  I love it!  She's really good.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »
I know it's traditional and in other stories as well, but any idea why dragons like gold?

I keep thinking of Colonel Dolarhyde's line in the movie Cowboys and Aliens:

"What are they going to do?  Buy something?"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »
I know it's traditional and in other stories as well, but any idea why dragons like gold?

Apparently, the Greeks are to blame for starting it all:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080518043727AAhn6Kr
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »

In the Anglo-Saxon poem, "Beowulf", dragons hoard gold because they are mean and selfish and determined not to share the wealth with anyone else. This is in direct contrast to the hero, Beowulf, who is portrayed as a very generous giver of gifts.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2013, 07:39:10 pm »
This afternoon I was dusting my bedroom, and I paused a moment to take my copy of The Hobbit off the rack where I keep it, on top of one of my barrister bookcases. It had been a very long time since I last opened the book, and I really need to replace it. The book is a paperback, and the copy is so old the pages have all turned brown. I reread the first few pages, and once again I was delighted by how chatty and middle class the opening of the story is, like the servants gossiping below stairs in some program on Masterpiece Theatre.  ;D

Especially the part where the narrator says that Bilbo's father built the hobbit hole in part with his wife's money. ...  ;D

:laugh:

Offline brianr

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »
Have you seen the latest safety video for Air New Zealand?

[youtube=425,350]qOw44VFNk8Y[/youtube]

Makes me proud to live in "Middle Earth" although I have issues with Air New Zealand but malnly due to the cost of regional flights. I prefer to catch the bus from Dunedin to Christchurch then fly Emirates. Coming home on New Years Eve I will stay overnight in Christchurch then catch the 5 hour bus and it will still be $50 cheaper.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »
Brian, I loved that airline safety video.  No one will top that!  ;D

I wanted to post this here so you wouldn't miss it: the incredible interview with Smaug on The Colbert Report.  It must have been in the works for some time.  Totally fabulous!

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/stephen-colbert-smaug-the-hobbit-interview/?fb=dd

Also hilarious, the spoof of "The Office" done a la Middle-earth with Martin Freeman guesting on Saturday Night Live:

https://screen.yahoo.com/hobbit-office-091748617.html

Ich bin ein Brokie...