Author Topic: The Hobbit: the official trailer  (Read 26822 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: The Hobbit: the official trailer
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 05:14:24 pm »
Richard *thud* Armitage

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FcSm1wUu0&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Richard *thud* Armitage

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FcSm1wUu0&feature=related[/youtube]

oh my god! I love him there toooo.

Offline brianr

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »
oh my god! I love him there toooo.
I did not recognise him  ;D He made my heart go pitter pat in the TV Robin Hood series. dressed all in leather ;D

Offline brianr

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:35 pm »
Now, the Hobbit is considered a prequal to LoTR
Yes the Hobbit was written quite a while (nearly 20 years) before LOTR.  I read it after  LOTR and was disappointed and have never read it again while I have read LOTR at least half a dozen times.  I bought the Hobbit a few weeks ago. I am hoping the movies will regenerate interest in it for me. I have quite a few Tolkien books but some are a bit hard going.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »
Yes the Hobbit was written quite a while (nearly 20 years) before LOTR.  I read it after  LOTR and was disappointed and have never read it again while I have read LOTR at least half a dozen times.  I bought the Hobbit a few weeks ago. I am hoping the movies will regenerate interest in it for me. I have quite a few Tolkien books but some are a bit hard going.

That was my reaction to the trilogy when I read it back in my college days, and Tolkien completely lost me when I got to the talking trees.  :-\ Made me think of the talking apple trees in The Wizard of Oz.  :-\ Nevertheless, I slogged my way through to the end of the trilogy. But The Hobbit I've always found quite charming, and, oddly, my memory is that I also enjoyed The Silmarillion.  :-\ I might actually consider rereading The Silmarillion some day. But I saw the trailer for The Hobbit when I saw Lincoln Saturday night, and it also looks charming.

A tad OT, but since I mentioned The Wizard of Oz, I will also mention that Saturday I also saw the trailer for Oz, the Great and Powerful, which looked like lots of fun.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
That was my reaction to the trilogy when I read it back in my college days, and Tolkien completely lost me when I got to the talking trees. :-\ Made me think of the talking apple trees in The Wizard of Oz.  :-\ Nevertheless, I slogged my way through to the end of the trilogy. But The Hobbit I've always found quite charming, and, oddly, my memory is that I also enjoyed The Silmarillion.  :-\ I might actually consider rereading The Silmarillion some day. But I saw the trailer for The Hobbit when I saw Lincoln Saturday night, and it also looks charming.

I know that parts of the Trilogy aren't for everyone, but Treebeard is actually one of my favorite characters, so original, unexpected and ancient.  It's as if one of the old redwoods could speak and give up his wisdom of thousands of years.

The Hobbit is light and charming in comparison to the Trilogy because it was conceived and delivered as a children's story that Tolkien told to his own kids.  The Fellowship of the Ring began a real adult story with a more serious tone.  I'm glad you liked The Silmarillion.  It's the Creation and the fall of Lucifer and Man and all sorts of great stories strung together--really different from LOTR, but if you've read it, the Trilogy feels richer, like a new city built on top of an old ruined one.

What's really odd is that the comparatively simple story of  The Hobbit will now be three movies.  By that measure, LOTR should have actually been 9 movies!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »
The Hobbit is light and charming in comparison to the Trilogy because it was conceived and delivered as a children's story that Tolkien told to his own kids.  The Fellowship of the Ring began a real adult story with a more serious tone.  I'm glad you liked The Silmarillion.  It's the Creation and the fall of Lucifer and Man and all sorts of great stories strung together.

At the time it sort of felt like reading Scripture.  ;D

What's really odd is that the comparatively simple story of  The Hobbit will now be three movies.  By that measure, LOTR should have actually been 9 movies!  ;D

Oh, good grief. I could see two--after all, the subtitle is "Or, There and Back Again"--so I could see one movie for "There" and another for "Back Again," but three?  ::)

Maybe I'll just re-read the book. It's been a while.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
The country is going mad. There are special tv news casts this morning and afternoon and last night the weather forecast included a front creeping gollum like up the south island and troll winds blowing over Wellington  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
The country is going mad. There are special tv news casts this morning and afternoon and last night the weather forecast included a front creeping gollum like up the south island and troll winds blowing over Wellington  ;D

:laugh:  :laugh:

I can imagine, brian.  I've seen a few reports and videos about the big premiere.  But it's a sweet fandom and one suited to Kiwis.  Better than a horror franchise!  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:42 pm »

:laugh: :laugh:

Has it gone to far? Any name change? Kiwis to Hobbis, P-iwis (People from middlehearth), or my favorite, ArmitageĀ“s Army.