Author Topic: The Hobbit: the official trailer  (Read 26825 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Hobbit: the official trailer
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

Has it gone to far? Any name change? Kiwis to Hobbis, P-iwis (People from middlehearth), or my favorite, Armitage´s Army.
Our capital city, Wellington where the premiere is being held is officially called Middle of Middle Earth for this week only

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
Livestream video of the World Premiere going on now:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie?sk=app_173795602763999
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 08:47:31 am »
I love the weather. Looks so cosy and warm.

Offline brianr

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
McKellen wants to get married in 'Middle Earth'

The gay-rights advocate last night addressed a marriage equality conference in Wellington via a video shot in London, GayNZ.com reported.

In the brief clip he said that ever since New Zealand women were given the vote before any other country in the world, New Zealand was looked at for social advance.

"And here we are again."

Parliament is currently considering a bill which will allow same-sex marriage.

The bill, sponsored by Labour MP Louisa Wall, passed its first vote and is currently before select committee.

Sir Ian said his support was with New Zealand and the change.

"I hope that by the time I get back to Middle Earth I might even be able to get married."

Sir Ian was absent at this week's Hobbit premiere in Wellington, but again addressed the crowds via a video.

In it he called New Zealand his "spiritual home".

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/237426/mckellen-wants-get-married-middle-earth

Offline brianr

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
I am very disappointed. I saw each of the LOTR movies twice in the cinema and at least once on my purchased DVDs. Not interested in seeing the Hobbit again. I was looking at my watch to see when it would end. I did read the book again a few weeks ago and actually liked it this time. Perhaps I should not have done so as I was comparing the differences. In LOTR there were some parts of the book omitted. Understandable or each movie would have been 5 hours. This time a lot has been added. A lot is to relate the story to the LOTR saga. I am not sure how much was actually in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the Hobbit 20 years earlier. Galadriel is brought in and the brown wizard Radergast?as well as Saruman.  However I think a lot was added so they could include more visual effects, chases and  fighting which never impresses me.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »

BBC Archival Footage-In
Their Own Words British Authors
J.R.R. Tolkien
Part 1

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-4vMEiQ_U[/youtube]
Uploaded on Aug 23, 2010 by Eruantano

Part 2
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=Ca5TUYB1nlw&NR=1[/youtube]
Uploaded on Nov 13, 2010 by Eruantano

Some great archival footage just released from BBC on Tolkien that was first aired in 1968.This is an episode from BBC's series "In Their Own Words British Authors". Official synopsis:

"John Izzard meets with JRR Tolkien at his home, walking with him through the Oxford locations that he loves while hearing the author's own views about his wildly successful high-fantasy novels. Tolkien shares his love of nature and beer and his admiration for 'trenchermen' in this genial and affectionate programme. The brief interviews with Oxford students that are dotted throughout reveal the full range of opinions elicited by 'The Lord of the Rings', from wild enthusiasm to mild contempt."

This footage is entirely owned by BBC. I am in no way affiliated with BBC or the Tokien Estate or anyone who may be associated with this video.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcjBzP7H-E[/youtube]
Uploaded on Feb 4, 2008 by TolkienLibrary

For the release of The Children of Hurin  the BBC's Newsnight  program was given access to the book and an interview with Tolkien himself, which has never been broadcast before. Razia Iqbal from BBC also interviewed Adam Tolkien on The Children of Hurin  in the same broadcast.

Transcript can be found here:
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/814-Tolkien_1968_BBC_Interview.php

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 02:03:36 pm »

The Queen of Denmark
and
the Hobbit

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark)  illustrates and paints under the pseudonym Ingahild Grathmer, and her woodcut style art was used to illustrate some editions of The Hobbit  and The Lord of the Rings.

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »
I am very disappointed. I saw each of the LOTR movies twice in the cinema and at least once on my purchased DVDs. Not interested in seeing the Hobbit again. I was looking at my watch to see when it would end. I did read the book again a few weeks ago and actually liked it this time. Perhaps I should not have done so as I was comparing the differences. In LOTR there were some parts of the book omitted. Understandable or each movie would have been 5 hours. This time a lot has been added. A lot is to relate the story to the LOTR saga. I am not sure how much was actually in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the Hobbit 20 years earlier. Galadriel is brought in and the brown wizard Radergast?as well as Saruman. However I think a lot was added so they could include more visual effects, chases and  fighting which never impresses me.

The minute you read they were going 3D and IMAX in this, that would be the tipoff that that is exactly what they were going to do.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »
Here is my first take on The Hobbit, which I saw a week ago.  Most fan reviews I've read are positive and similar in spirit to mine, while movie critics tend to be less forgiving, naturally.  ;D

The Hobbit – 1st viewing  (Spoilers galore!)

I had such a good time at this movie! For the first 40 minutes at least, I had a big grin from ear to ear that just wouldn’t go away. The physical beauty of this Middle-earth is just so rich and so lovingly done that you want to reach out and hug it. Hobbiton from overhead, gorgeous Bag End, ravishing Frodo, dear old Ian Holm, followed by adorable Martin Freeman, beloved Gandalf and the wonderfully varied Dwarves, Bilbo’s pantry (!), the trunk with, o joy, an Alan Lee portrait of the young Bilbo to match the one he did of Elijah’s Frodo—are just a Tolkien fan’s dream. And I didn’t expect the wonderful back story showing Erebor in its glory along with Dale, followed by the destruction of Smaug and the sad turning away of the Elves. That was fabulous!

I re-read The Hobbit just last week, a dangerous thing given PJ’s habit of taking hold of canon, tweaking it, twisting it, turning it on its head and then completely tossing it out. The tarting up of the story was shameless. But it’s a tribute to how wonderful everything else was that I didn’t much care. (It certainly helped to have come to terms with the embroiderments in TTT and ROTK already.) I put up with the endless extraneous Warg attacks, the Azog bit and the reworking of the troll scene (no discernible improvement on Tolkien). More bothersome was the drumming up of some sort of dramatic tension between Thorin and Bilbo. Radagast and his rabbits were a hoot, and I loved the preview of the spiders and the Nazgul at Dol Guldur. The lovely scenes in Rivendell were a treat, though I wish Saruman hadn’t been such a git. It would be nice to see a better, wiser wizard before we are given the diminished one of the Two Towers. Then the Dwarves leaving without saying goodbye properly to Elrond made me sad; I guess the writers think everyone’s getting along is just boring. The stone giants and goblins were great, though the chase scenes were way too long and chaotic; Gollum/Bilbo going at it were spot on. I like that PJ took time with the big moment before Bilbo leaped over Gollum to escape (and the familiar theme of the Ring and of other parts of the story were great to hear, just like an opera!). The last scene with the Wargs was just over the top corny Hollywood shtick, especially the attack led by heroic Bilbo. I was rolling my eyes a lot. The ending with the thrush and Smaug’s awakening, though? Superb!

I thought the casting and performances were a big success, though I did think Ian’s Gandalf was a bit mannered at times. Maybe he always was, and that’s just who his Gandalf is. I love him anyway. Martin Freeman couldn’t be more perfect with his combination of down-to-earth hobbityness and spunk. Richard Armitage as Thorin is so noble looking, I expect him to be above all that surly, suspicious stuff he’s given to do.

I think we’re in for quite a ride in the next two movies. There really is a lot of story to tell, and with PJ’s extra excursions into whateverland, it should be a great deal of fun.
Ich bin ein Brokie...