Author Topic: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!  (Read 18041 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »
Pickled herring is really good. I like it best when my mum do it herself. Yum.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »
Pickled herring is really good. I like it best when my mum do it herself. Yum.

Sorry for taking this thread away from playing the game (I'll make up for that shortly), but can you tell us what ingredients she used in the pickling process??
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:52 pm »
No problem, I would like to know as well!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »
Since I couldn't think of anything that used the last 3 ingredients, I'll toss out another trio:

Turnips
Lamb
Broccoli Rabe
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »
Sorry for taking this thread away from playing the game (I'll make up for that shortly), but can you tell us what ingredients she used in the pickling process??

I had to ask mum  :laugh:

For the pickle solution she uses water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and cloves.

She boils the solution, waits for it to cool off and then pours it over the herring filles, leek, dill seeds, carrots and allspice (which is placed in alternate layers).

I

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
I've always liked kippered herring, but I never knew i was good for me. I guess I should have moved to Norway when I had the chance.

Yep, lots of herring, kippered, smoked, pickled, fermented and fresh here in Scandinavia!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »
I had to ask mum  :laugh:

For the pickle solution she uses water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and cloves.

She boils the solution, waits for it to cool off and then pours it over the herring filles, leek, dill seeds, carrots and allspice (which is placed in alternate layers).

I

That's far more involved than I anticipated, but DANG does it sound delicious!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 12:05:42 am »
Okay, I'll admit, I'm stumped! But, not because I can't think of what to do with turnips and broccoli rabe, but just because I can't think of what to do first!! They are both some of my favorite ingredients. I guess I would use them in a shepherd's pie, for starters. Brown the ground lamb with onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet and add the cut up turnips and broccoli rabe. When they have wilted and browned at the edges, add a dash of broth or wine, cover them with a layer of smashed potatoes, and add some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with a lid and simmer until the entire dish is hot and bubbly. A wonderful comfort food, and very appropriate for the holidays, too!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:11 am »
Okay, I'll admit, I'm stumped! But, not because I can't think of what to do with turnips and broccoli rabe, but just because I can't think of what to do first!! They are both some of my favorite ingredients. I guess I would use them in a shepherd's pie, for starters. Brown the ground lamb with onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet and add the cut up turnips and broccoli rabe. When they have wilted and browned at the edges, add a dash of broth or wine, cover them with a layer of smashed potatoes, and add some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with a lid and simmer until the entire dish is hot and bubbly. A wonderful comfort food, and very appropriate for the holidays, too!!

Shepherd's Pie is a great idea!!

I had these ingredients at a Passover Sater when I was a teenager. The turnips were masked and whipped with garlic & olive oil. The broccoli rabe was chopped and steamed. And it was served with slices of lamb roast. It was one of the best meals I can remember. I had never had lamb before, and the experience encouraged me to venture into trying other unusual foods. At this point in my life, I'll try anything except cat or dog.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:57 am »

OT

Speaking of food - it´s Christmas! Yay!

Tonight we´ll stuff ourselves silly! You´re eating your Christmas food tomorrow in the US, right?