Author Topic: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!  (Read 18036 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 04:29:16 am »
I volunteer to be stumped.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 06:30:19 am »
Okay, I'll admit, I'm stumped! But, not because I can't think of what to do with turnips and broccoli rabe, but just because I can't think of what to do first!! They are both some of my favorite ingredients. I guess I would use them in a shepherd's pie, for starters. Brown the ground lamb with onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet and add the cut up turnips and broccoli rabe. When they have wilted and browned at the edges, add a dash of broth or wine, cover them with a layer of smashed potatoes, and add some grated parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with a lid and simmer until the entire dish is hot and bubbly. A wonderful comfort food, and very appropriate for the holidays, too!!

That sounds delicious, Lee!

I've had shepherd's pie in England, and there it's an oven dish. But your way sounds just as good.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 06:31:28 am »
OT

Speaking of food - it´s Christmas! Yay!

Tonight we´ll stuff ourselves silly! You´re eating your Christmas food tomorrow in the US, right?

Hi Monika!

Happy stuffing!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 10:11:34 am »
I volunteer to be stumped.

Okay, Elle, dear, here are some ingredients for you:

Strawberries and ... coffee!!

Now let's see what you do with that!! Chime in everyone... and happy stuffing!!

Today, I will make a pie, empanadas, cream cheese-cranberry turnovers, and a roast!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
OT

Speaking of food - it´s Christmas! Yay!

Tonight we´ll stuff ourselves silly! You´re eating your Christmas food tomorrow in the US, right?

Depending on one's ethnic traditions, Americans either stuff themselves on Christmas Eve, or on Christmas Day. Even though I am African-American, I enjoy the Italian tradition of the Feast of the Seven Fishes. On Christmas Eve, Italians have a meal that is made of seafood dishes. There's squid, shrimp, clams, mussels, octopus, scallops, and cod. But you can make any seafood you want.

This year, I made a cioppino with scallops, shrimp, squid, and mussels in a white wine cream sauce, served over rotini.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:13 pm »
Okay, Elle, dear, here are some ingredients for you:

Strawberries and ... Coffee!!!

I think I would put the strawberries into the freezer just until quite firm, but not hard, and then chop them.  I would make a coffee ice cream, and fold the chopped strawberries into the completed ice cream, and serve with gauffrettes.

I can't believe I've never seen that, it sounds good.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
Wow, Clarissa, that sounds scrumptious!! I can just visualize it now!! I can also see this as a Pavlova, with beaten egg whites instead of ice cream if it's too cold for ice cream. What a heavenly dish!!

And Milo, I can just smell the cioppino cooking...it sounds wonderful! The tradition in our family is to have scallop empanada for Christmas Eve dinner. But this year we will not have scallops because my daughter's family doesn't eat shellfish. Fortunately, you can put just about any fish, chicken, or meat in empanadas and it works just fine. The other ingredients are sweet peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil. I always use a combination of red and green peppers.

We have had a traditional Italian dinner for Christmas in the past: a crown roast of beef or pork, filled with vegetables and a first plate of pasta in walnut sauce, with a salad of bitter greens and fruit and an assortment of cheeses, followed by tiramisu. But this year our Christmas dinner will be all American, with a Christmas pumpkin pecan pie at the end.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
Wow, Clarissa, that sounds scrumptious!! I can just visualize it now!! I can also see this as a Pavlova, with beaten egg whites instead of ice cream if it's too cold for ice cream. What a heavenly dish!!

And Milo, I can just smell the cioppino cooking...it sounds wonderful! The tradition in our family is to have scallop empanada for Christmas Eve dinner. But this year we will not have scallops because my daughter's family doesn't eat shellfish. Fortunately, you can put just about any fish, chicken, or meat in empanadas and it works just fine. The other ingredients are sweet peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil. I always use a combination of red and green peppers.

We have had a traditional Italian dinner for Christmas in the past: a crown roast of beef or pork, filled with vegetables and a first plate of pasta in walnut sauce, with a salad of bitter greens and fruit and an assortment of cheeses, followed by tiramisu. But this year our Christmas dinner will be all American, with a Christmas pumpkin pecan pie at the end.

No offense, but I always think of empanadas as fast food. When I sing in Houston, I find it convenient to grab one at one of the numerous tequerias throughout the city. They're great piping hot.

Food is such a wonderful part of holidays.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:12 pm »
Lee, you may be the best chef I know.  Of anyone.  Anywhere.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 01:39:58 am »
What a wonderful compliment, friend! I am not really a chef, I am just an enthusiast. Yes, empanadas are usually a fast food, but they take many forms. I actually cooked the empanada in a paella pan...the family really liked it, thought it was the "best ever:!!! A first this year, I added artichoke hearts.