Author Topic: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!  (Read 18038 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Let's Play "Stump the Chef"!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
I had to ask mum  :laugh:

For the pickle solution she uses water, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and cloves.

She boils the solution, waits for it to cool off and then pours it over the herring filles, leek, dill seeds, carrots and allspice (which is placed in alternate layers).

Speaking of herring, I forgot to mention earlier that when I was out with my work last week, for a traditional Xmas buffet (smörgåsbord), the restaurant offered 22 different varieties of herring!! All home made. I tried 7 or 8 or them, and they were all very yummy! I could have done with just the herring, I really didn't need any of the other stuff.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:58 pm »
No offense, but I always think of empanadas as fast food. When I sing in Houston, I find it convenient to grab one at one of the numerous tequerias throughout the city. They're great piping hot.

Food is such a wonderful part of holidays.

Amen, friend! I was reading about buffalo empanadas in the new cookbook I got for Christmas from The Fort Restaurant. Those empanada are finger food and they are deep fried. But the empanada I make for Christmas Eve is baked, and it is definitely not fast food. The dough has to rise for 1 1/2 hours, then you punch it down and let it rise for another hour. Then you saute the filling ingredients (I only saute the onion, the rest I put in fresh), pop on and seal the top pastry and brush it with beaten egg. It is quite large...I bake it in a paella pan which has an 11 inch diameter!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
Happy New Year, everyone! It's been fun playing "stump the Chef"! If any chefs want to step up before the festivities end, be our guest! We can also nominate some healthy ingredients for January dishes too.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
Is anybody interested in an Easter or spring themed chef's challenge?? Less than a month until spring!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:08 pm »
Today I learned that you can make yogurt in a crock pot! I can't wait to try it! So I'll throw out some ingredients here...yogurt, maple syrup and any kind of alcoholic liquor (or vanilla if you don't do alcohol). Any chefs out there willing to take on this challenge?

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »
Sounds like youghurt ice cream to me.   8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
Today I learned that you can make yogurt in a crock pot! I can't wait to try it! So I'll throw out some ingredients here...yogurt, maple syrup and any kind of alcoholic liquor (or vanilla if you don't do alcohol). Any chefs out there willing to take on this challenge?

I'm confused. How are you making "yogurt in a crock pot" if one of the ingredients is ... yogurt?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »
Jeff, the post about making yogurt in a crock pot was just a little divertissement to keep the thread alive between holidays.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:00 am »

I suppose you could use the crock part of the pot, (mine comes out,) and put it in the fridge..?

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:49 am »
Jeff, the post about making yogurt in a crock pot was just a little divertissement to keep the thread alive between holidays.

Aww, so you're just tryin' a fool us!  ;D  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.