Author Topic: *HAPPY BROKIEDAY TO ME* Tell us about yours. The date, who you saw it withetc.  (Read 35093 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
                             * HAPPY BROKIEDAY TO ME!!!  *

i WILL HAVE ANOTHER ONE IN TWO DAYS.  THEN THREE MORE DAYS  LATER ANOTHER.  

The first day, was with my glorious grandaughter.  The second one, was by
myself.  The third one, was with my wonderful hubby.  They both liked it very
much.  However it never was an ah hah moment, like I had.
      I had misplaced the video.  I have been looking off and on for three months.  I have always watched it again on my Brokieday.  The first year, however, I watched it over a hundred times.  I had also listened to the soundtrack many many more times.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:31:33 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Janice we saw it on the same day.

I went to an artsy cinema about 50 miles away with some friends, the place was packed. It was the third showing the very first day there.

"Asphyxiated"?! That word didn't seem to fit.

And I have said many times before, when Jack told off L.D. Newsome the whole place applauded.

We left from there in a state of stunned loss. Went to a Dairy Queen with its harsh florescent lights and kids laughing and carrying on and got very annoyed. Something powerful had happened and no one was aware of it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeback-fan

• Jr. Ranch Hand
When I think about the first time (or seven) that I saw Brokeback, I still feel an inkling of the moment when the movie’s powerful message hit me and I cried for two days.  It really made me evaluate my life.  The soundtrack for the movie was played on my car’s CD player for more than a year.  I am sure we all have experienced something powerful from this movie.  I am so glad I was one who did.  My favorite scene in the movie (actually, the whole movie) was when Jack and Ennis were sitting by the fire near the river in the moonlight.  This scene is so powerful .  I love the coziness of the fire and the moon and river – raging river.  So many things going on.  Hope, love, longing, fear, anger, settling  - just amazing.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/brokeback-mountain/ennis-fears/#!quotes/

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Theres no doubt about it, seems the time and date, as well as the emotion felt, on first seeing Brokeback, stands out in our memory, like the death of JFK, or Princess Diana and other world memorable events.

I've probably told this story before on here, about how I went off to the theatre thinking Brokeback Mountain was a "gay cowboy movie", and that drew me to go see it, actually quite curious how they were going to depict a couple of gay cowboys in the old west, toting gun belts and revolvers and riding a horse.

Well the first scene changed that outlook immediately, the date on the screen showed me this was the sixties, not back in the 1800's, and they were going to herd SHEEP not cattle....when I think about how naieve I was about this movie back then, and yet know so much now.

As I've written here before, I sat there spellbound, as so many flashes of my own life seemed to be written into the story line. Me taking the part of one of Ennis's daughters. I sat there watcing, thinking how could someone know so much about the life of my dad, my mum and me...here it was up on screen.

I walked out of the theatre in a daze, so many things going through my head, like a jigsaw puzzle with the pieces falling into place, and over the next day or two, many more pieces fell into place.

I  had grown up from age 7, when my parents separated, in a world where my dad had a male partner, who we visited, and stayed with on holidays on a regular basis for the next 14 years, in the same era as Brokeback was set. And yet here I was in my mid 50's and for the first time I looked at dad's partnership as a loving, emotional and sexual one. Even though I new in my teen years that they were homosexuals, and dad had sat me down at that time to try to explain things, I still had no idea of the kind of relationship they had. Maybe its the same as a child/teen in a house with a mother and father, they dont think about them being emotionally or sexually involved.....was the same thing. In all those years back then, I had never witnessed romance between them, when I stayed with them on holidays, I dont remember them even sleeping in the same bed.

So, here I am, watching Brokeback Mountain, and for the first time, I saw a different side to their partnership, and was sad and angry that I never realized they had had that, not to mention the fear and paranoi of getting caught, as in those days it was illegal. It was like I was knowing it all for the first time....and it took me to my mid 50's to know it.

My dad was gone, so I couldnt even talk to him about it. I guess thats why, I searched for others to share my feelings, thinking naievly again, that maybe MY feelings were unique, then being overwhelmed to find so many others that were touched in such a special way by this movie.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I saw it for the first time on 12/26/2005.  I know because that year (just like last year - 2011) Christmas fell on a Sunday, so the banks were closed Monday.  I went for an afternoon showing, and had to sit in the first row, all the others were sold out.

Saw it with my mom, the both of us slid down in the seats.  :laugh:

I got home, went online, and found DCF that same day and joined.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline KittyKat

• Jr. Ranch Hand
I first saw Brokeback Mountain last week on HBO. Seriously. 01/12 was the first time. It was late, I could not sleep and nothing else was on.
This is the best movie ever made. It's simplicity is overwhelming. The love between Jack and Ennis is so beautiful and natural.
I can't stop trembling.
Glad You Forgot Your Harmonica

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
Hi KittyKat and welcome to BetterMost!

Glad you found us.

Take a seat. Want a cup a coffee, don't ya? Piece a cherry cake?   ;)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline KittyKat

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Thanks Sason. Just coffee for me thanks.
Glad You Forgot Your Harmonica

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
Thanks Sason. Just coffee for me thanks.

:)

Now that you've found us, KittyKat, please look around in the various threads and I'm sure you'll find lots and lots of intereting things.

We all understand your feelings about BBM, coz we all share them.

Please take part in any discussion you like, you're among friends here.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
There was a wonderful description of "Brokeback Fever" written by Maine Writer, some years back....

If anyone can find it, could you please post it, just so KittyKat knows exactly what is going on with her....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection